SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
OILERS MESSAGE BOARD

Photo
- - - - -

Ales Hemsky

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
202 replies to this topic

#1 Zuko

Zuko

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,296 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:28 PM

On his health:

Hemsky's surgically repaired shoulder is fine and should be at or near 100 per cent by the time he reports for training camp.

“I’m not worrying about it. It’s only the last two seasons, but before that I don’t think I’ve had many injuries,” said Hemsky, who expects to be ready for the Oilers training camp in mid-September.

“I know to have surgery seems bad, but when you fix the shoulders, they should be OK, now. You get hit, you get a small tear in the shoulder and it’s tearing and tearing and finally it’s torn all the way. For two months you don’t feel it, then you get to where you can’t even sleep. Only thing you can do is go for surgery. I don’t know if I’ll ever have the motion I had before. They’ve tied it up pretty tightly for a hockey player, but it’s good enough for sports. I can play tennis, golf.”

On Smyth:

“Getting Smytty back is great news for us. We’ve missed his type of player for a long time. The greasy goals around the net, using him on the power play. He’s a great leader. There’s friendship there,” he said.

"He's been around for a long time, so he's got a lot of things to say to the young guys," Hemsky said. "They can learn from him.

"I played with him for five years, six years. He gave me a lot. He was nice to me. He can build your confidence. His work ethic is great. The guys can just learn from that.

"On the ice, he's a leader. Even if he doesn't talk, you can just see it on the ice. He works every shift. He's in every battle. He cares about the team."

On RNH:

He admits that he was more concerned with how he handled the puck than how No. 1 draft pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins looked.

“What number was he? If I skate (Wednesday), maybe I’ll take a picture. He can autograph it for me,” said a joking Hemsky, who was drafted 10 years ago, 13th overall.

On Regehr:

“I never minded playing against him. He’s tough but honest. He hits, but he doesn’t hit you blind. OK, he did it one time. But he’s not that dirty. There’s dirtier guys than him. He grabs you and takes you into the boards,” said Hemsky.

On the trades and signings:

"We had lots of young guys coming in last year," Hemsky said. "It's the same here this year.

"The first overall pick and another couple guys, so the depth of the young guys is huge. I don't think we ever had so many guys like that, talented. Now, we have another five guys from free agency, so the depth is pretty good. A lot of players."

"The players they've signed are great players who will fit really well. The toughness they got with (Ben) Eager and (Darcy) Hordichuk. The centre (Eric Belanger) for the face-offs. We get a little bigger with (Andy) Sutton. "I think it's a good fit, what we need. It can only make you happy, you know, for the future."

On his future with the Oilers:

“It’s been hard the last four years for the team. It’s never easy to be losing and not making the playoffs, but we’ve made some good additions. The young kids are getting more confident. It’s going to be fun to see how this upcoming season goes. We’re not talking about a new contract. I’m not worried. Like I’ve said, my focus is on getting back to 100 per cent so I can play.”

"I never really judge anybody, why we didn't make it before. It's a new generation now."

"I want a chance to win. I think they made a lot of good additions to the team. We can even this year be good, like for playoffs. Of course, I want to go in the playoffs. That's the only goal I have.

"Even this year. Hopefully, we can do it. If we have those young guys who were playing last year. They'll be more confident, they'll be a little bit older. We've got other young guys coming up . . . it'll be fun."

He’d like to be an Oiler for years to come, but there are no real negotiations going on at this time to hammer out a new long-term deal.
If Hemsky had his way, he’d start and end his career wearing the Oil drop.

“I wouldn’t mind at all. I don’t like change, looking for new stuff. I’ve met lots of great people in Edmonton. I’ve got friends. I’ve got a girlfriend living with me. I can’t complain,” said Hemsky, who will make $5 million next season.

"I can't complain, you know? I don't mind the city. Everybody is nice to me. I can't complain."

http://www.faceoff.c....703/story.html - Jim Matheson in Edmonton Journal

http://oilersnation.....ds-are-alright - Robin Brownlee at OilersNation.com

VIDEO: http://video.oilers.....id=4&id=120332

Originally posted by JessikaLovejoy HFboards

Now the reason I am posting this is that I think Hemsky could be fairly healthy this season. So the major question is if he does stay healthy what is a reasonable expectation for Hemsky's Contract?

Here's some comparables
Patrick Elias signed 6M caphit at 30 yrs old
worst injuries 27gp and 38 gp seasons

Due to higher offensive numbers 1+PPG, the 2 stanley cups and versatility (can play W/C) Hemsky likely wouldn't warrant this level of contract.

Marian Hossa signed 5.275M caphit at 30 years old
worst injuries 57gp and 60 gp seasons

With Hemsky improving his overall game then provided he has a healthy season this seems like a good reference.

Martin Havlat signed 5M caphit at 28 years old
worst injuries 18 gp and 35 gp

With similar injury history, skill level, playoff experience, and age at signing this is a close reference point.

IMO provided Hemsky has a healthy season (60-82 GP) a 5-5.3 contract over 6-8 years would be a reasonable expectation. What would u expect from a Hemsky signing, would u hope for something short? (before his long term contract Elias signed a 1 year contract). Juat curious to see if any of these quotes change any minds. Also if any would expect Hemsky to push for a much larger contract.

Edited by Zuko, 05 July 2011 - 10:30 PM.

#2 Goilerz

Goilerz

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 986 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:43 PM

What scares me about Hemsky and his future contract numbers is that you almost have to start with Horcoff's numbers to even remotely get him and his agent to talk. How can you give Horcoff that kind of money and then refuse Hemsky those same amounts now? Signing Horcoff to that deal was so dumb and I firmly believe that his contract will come back to haunt us many times in the future when it comes time to give players like Hall/Hopkins/Eberle/etc their due... their agents need only point at Horcoff's contract without saying a word while management is forced to bring out the pocketbook or trade away our stars because we can't fit them all under the cap.

#3 mrtea

mrtea

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:30 PM

@ zuko. i think you are in the ball park for salary, but i hesitate at more than 5 million. also a term of 3 years would be an ideal extension if he is healthy, 5 years at the most. i have soured on long contacts unless it's for hall or eberle.

Edited by mrtea, 05 July 2011 - 11:31 PM.

#4 Baijiboy

Baijiboy

3rd Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:50 PM

i think hemsky is really great. i would definitely let him use my hand as a kleenex if he asked me to.

#5 mrtea

mrtea

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,996 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 11:54 PM

i think hemsky is really great. i would definitely let him use my hand as a kleenex if he asked me to.

what in the where now ?:blink:

#6 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 04:47 AM

Give him 3-5 years if he can stay healthy. 1 year if he can't just to give him one more shot to prove his health. Under no circumstances give him two years because then we'd be screwed royally when it was time to resign Hope+hemsky+Whitney.

As for $$$ value, start negotiations at 3.5 M and let him talk you up to 5.25 M max. That way you have a shot at a great deal and if he does talk you up than it's not too bad, and he will feel like he won the negotiations.
Hemmer83_zps2a5e5a3a.jpeg
Credit to 94oildrops

#7 MelonyCzech81

MelonyCzech81

Prospect

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 05:23 AM

5 or 6 years deal would be great, next 2 season could be most important for Oilers and Aleš said,, that he wants to stay in Edmonton for as long as it possible. He doesn't want to move and that's I think great! With this new guys, he can be star player again! :-)

#8 stranger

stranger

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,151 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 07:20 AM

Even showing up at rookie camp proves Hemmer is all business this year.Hes ready to take the next step.IF he can stay healthy,a point a game pace is a cakewalk for Hemmer.

#9 oillio

oillio

Palindrome

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

uhhh

:th_raise20brow:
x84fl.jpg

#10 marleysouth

marleysouth

3rd Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 318 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:32 AM

On Regehr:

“I never minded playing against him. He’s tough but honest. He hits, but he doesn’t hit you blind. OK, he did it one time.

I love this quote. I can just see the reporter raising an eyebrow after Hemsky says "he doesn't hit you blind", then Ales adding the rest.

#11 CopperBlueballs

CopperBlueballs

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,357 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 09:53 AM

What scares me about Hemsky and his future contract numbers is that you almost have to start with Horcoff's numbers to even remotely get him and his agent to talk. How can you give Horcoff that kind of money and then refuse Hemsky those same amounts now? Signing Horcoff to that deal was so dumb and I firmly believe that his contract will come back to haunt us many times in the future when it comes time to give players like Hall/Hopkins/Eberle/etc their due... their agents need only point at Horcoff's contract without saying a word while management is forced to bring out the pocketbook or trade away our stars because we can't fit them all under the cap.

Why do people always see to think this statement is true.

Horcoffs contract was back in a different time, when the market dictated that a player with those numbers gets around $xxx.

Now the market TODAY may be similar to then, and Hemsky might get similar dollars now, but it has nothing to do with Horcoffs contract, rather the marketplace for a player of his skillset.

Fair Market Value. Say that 10 times

Don't think for 1 second that during negotiations, that if Hemskys agent asks for a "Horcoff" type contract, that Oiler management wouldn't say "uhhh no, we screwed the pooch on that one"

Edited by CopperBlueballs, 06 July 2011 - 09:54 AM.

"I'm day to day with Hurt Feelings" - Chris Pronger

#12 Cujo3000

Cujo3000

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 10:11 AM

Why do people always see to think this statement is true.

Horcoffs contract was back in a different time, when the market dictated that a player with those numbers gets around $xxx.

Now the market TODAY may be similar to then, and Hemsky might get similar dollars now, but it has nothing to do with Horcoffs contract, rather the marketplace for a player of his skillset.

Fair Market Value. Say that 10 times

Don't think for 1 second that during negotiations, that if Hemskys agent asks for a "Horcoff" type contract, that Oiler management wouldn't say "uhhh no, we screwed the pooch on that one"

Pretty much what I was gonna say :).

As for his contract I believe that if we can sign him for 5 to 9 years depending on the amount could be a good investement. And I would be willing to pay him between 4 to 6 million dollars. We can always do like other NHL teams do, play around with the amount he gets each year :P, so that the cap hit isn't as big. If you can't beat them, then join them I say.

And like I said many times, he wants to stay here, how many players with his kind of skills would be willing to say that??? I mean the point of growing our own players was for that reason. To get high elite skilled players through draft, and then those players would be willing to stay in Edmonton. Like we are doing with Hall and Hopkins and Eberle and so on. Hemsky is one of those players as well. Getting rid of him would be no different then trading away Hall or Eberle and so forth.

I mean no player is untouchable on a team (the Gretzky trade proved that). But if you are going to get rid of a player like Hemsky it better be for a damn good reason (not like the trade with Smyth, where both Smyth and Lowe really messed up on that one) and we better get something good in return, something that can help us now and not 5 years down the line.

We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done.

#13 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

Pretty much what I was gonna say :).

As for his contract I believe that if we can sign him for 5 to 9 years depending on the amount could be a good investement. And I would be willing to pay him between 4 to 6 million dollars. We can always do like other NHL teams do, play around with the amount he gets each year :P, so that the cap hit isn't as big. If you can't beat them, then join them I say.

And like I said many times, he wants to stay here, how many players with his kind of skills would be willing to say that??? I mean the point of growing our own players was for that reason. To get high elite skilled players through draft, and then those players would be willing to stay in Edmonton. Like we are doing with Hall and Hopkins and Eberle and so on. Hemsky is one of those players as well. Getting rid of him would be no different then trading away Hall or Eberle and so forth.

I mean no player is untouchable on a team (the Gretzky trade proved that). But if you are going to get rid of a player like Hemsky it better be for a damn good reason (not like the trade with Smyth, where both Smyth and Lowe really messed up on that one) and we better get something good in return, something that can help us now and not 5 years down the line.

YES! +1000000000000000
Credit to 94oildrops

#14 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:16 PM

Did somebody say to sign Hemsky to a 9 year contract?! That's nucking futs.

We don't know the state of his body. He has just had 2 injury plagued seasons and then you're willing to sign him for a 4-6 mil cap hit over 9 seasons? I don't want the next Savard case.

If Hemsky likes it here so much, get him to sign a 1 year extention to see if his body can be relied upon to not break down.

#15 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

Did somebody say to sign Hemsky to a 9 year contract?! That's nucking futs.

We don't know the state of his body. He has just had 2 injury plagued seasons and then you're willing to sign him for a 4-6 mil cap hit over 9 seasons? I don't want the next Savard case.

If Hemsky likes it here so much, get him to sign a 1 year extention to see if his body can be relied upon to not break down.

agreed. Give him 4 at the max. And thats a little much.

At this point i wouldnt sign hall to a 9 year extension, let alone hemmer.
Credit to 94oildrops

#16 oillio

oillio

Palindrome

• Members
  • 10,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:27 PM

4 years/5.4 per, but not this year
@ this point we dont have to get rid of hemmer or omark.
lets see what each of them can do until the trade deadline 2012 and go from there.
x84fl.jpg

#17 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:32 PM

4 years/5.4 per, but not this year
@ this point we dont have to get rid of hemmer or omark.
lets see what each of them can do until the trade deadline 2012 and go from there.

id prefer to avoid a smitty V2.0 situation, if you get my drift. Sign him pronto.

Although i do like the idea of using Hemmer and omark to pressure eachother into playing better.
Credit to 94oildrops

#18 MelonyCzech81

MelonyCzech81

Prospect

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:34 PM

Don't let Hemsky go, i can't imagine him in another jersey...

#19 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:37 PM

Don't let Hemsky go, i can't imagine him in another jersey...

this.
Credit to 94oildrops

#20 oillio

oillio

Palindrome

• Members
  • 10,642 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:40 PM

id prefer to avoid a smitty V2.0 situation, if you get my drift. Sign him pronto.

Although i do like the idea of using Hemmer and omark to pressure eachother into playing better.

what if hemer is broken though. then we would have shot ourselves in the foot by signing him long term, no one would take him off of our hands then.

we need hemmer to prove himself all over again to gain more options.
if its true he doesnt want to sign here, we get more value if he plays 90% of the games and gets back to around 70 points. as of right now his value is down significantly and i dont want to trade him for nothing.

btw i doubt management would let anything similar to what happened with smyth happen again.

this.

:rolleyes:

lol thats not really a valid reason.
x84fl.jpg

#21 MetaLandOil

MetaLandOil

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:42 PM

agreed. Give him 4 at the max. And thats a little much.

At this point i wouldnt sign hall to a 9 year extension, let alone hemmer.

Really???

From what I saw out of Hall in his rookie campaign I think a 9 year contract would be too little. If he continues to improve the way I think he will over the next 2 years then when his contract is up for renewal then I would have no problem with Tambellini giving Hall a 12 year contract with say a $7M cap hit.

Edited by MetaLandOil, 06 July 2011 - 12:43 PM.

Posted Image

#22 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

Really???

From what I saw out of Hall in his rookie campaign I think a 9 year contract would be too little. If he continues to improve the way I think he will over the next 2 years then when his contract is up for renewal then I would have no problem with Tambellini giving Hall a 12 year contract with say a $7M cap hit.

Not to get too off topic, but i dont like those big long deals, especially right after the dude's rookie deal is over. Not a good plan. What if it goes to his head? What if his ankle becomes a reaccuring problem? i dont want to tie my hands with a huge deal. Right now i would be comfortable givng hall 4 years a 7M per. After next, if his play stays the same and he stays relativly healthy, i would be comfortable at 5-7 years at 7M per. then its time for a long deal if he is still playing up to snuff.

As for hemmer, any more than 4 years is simply ludicrous.
Credit to 94oildrops

#23 MetaLandOil

MetaLandOil

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:52 PM

Not to get too off topic, but i dont like those big long deals, especially right after the dude's rookie deal is over. Not a good plan. What if it goes to his head? What if his ankle becomes a reaccuring problem? i dont want to tie my hands with a huge deal. Right now i would be comfortable givng hall 4 years a 7M per. After next, if his play stays the same and he stays relativly healthy, i would be comfortable at 5-7 years at 7M per. then its time for a long deal if he is still playing up to snuff.

Good points and we still have 2 more years to further gauge Hall so no worries as of right now but if Hall does not go through any of the things you have mentioned in these next 2 years then we should know enough on his to decide if going long term is a good idea or not.
Posted Image

#24 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:53 PM

what if hemer is broken though. then we would have shot ourselves in the foot by signing him long term, no one would take him off of our hands then. True

we need hemmer to prove himself all over again to gain more options. Not completely prove himself, just prove that he is healthy again. maybe a 1 year deal right away to give time to insure his health followed by a 4 year extension if he is ok?if its true he doesnt want to sign here, we get more value if he plays 90% of the games and gets back to around 70 points. as of right now his value is down significantly and i dont want to trade him for nothing. Agreed
btw i doubt management would let anything similar to what happened with smyth happen again. Prob. right

:rolleyes:

lol thats not really a valid reason. I might be biased though

Credit to 94oildrops

#25 MetaLandOil

MetaLandOil

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,071 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:55 PM

I don't even feel comfortable talking about what type of money and what term Hemsky should be getting right now. This will be a very telling year for Hemmer and he should be ultra motivated to have a career year. Contract negotiating should be left for next summer in this case.
Posted Image