Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zuko

Ales Hemsky

203 posts in this topic

Really???

From what I saw out of Hall in his rookie campaign I think a 9 year contract would be too little. If he continues to improve the way I think he will over the next 2 years then when his contract is up for renewal then I would have no problem with Tambellini giving Hall a 12 year contract with say a $7M cap hit.

There is a reason you don't give the first overall pick a 9-12 year contract.

Rick DiPietro

I agree with the fair market value statement. Think about Seabrook and Keith, they easily could have said well look at how much Campbell is getting we r outplaying him and deserve more. Don't forget these players aren't blind, if Hemsky believes that this is the best place to be for a chance at the cup then he'll take a cut. Especially if it is true that he doesn't want to leave anyways. IMO the best value would either be a 1 year 4.5M contract followed by a 6 year 5.1M contract or straight to the longer term contract depending on his health next year.

As for Hall IMO when his contract is up either give him big money short term or smaller hit long term. 6.5M for 4-6 years or 5M for 10-12 years I would never do that 7 M deal howwever. Deals like the one Ovechkin signed ensure that his team will never have the quality depth other teams do. It also puts a ton of pressure on that player because he has to be the 40-50 goal 100pt guy every year since the team can't afford 20 goal 3rd liners.

Contracts

When the rookies are up for new contracts, extend them until they have 1 more year of RFA status. Then gauge how long the team should commit.

IF management wants to keep Hemsky (which I don't think is a good idea personally), sign him to a 1 year extention to see if his body is still reliable. Any longer and we might screw ourselves at a bad time when the rooks need new contracts.

If the new CBA has a drop in cap and allows unpenalized buyouts, buyout Horcoff and then reisgn for 2 mil for 2 years (he'd then be making the same amount as if we didn't buy him out). Sign Smyth for 2 years and 2 mil as well.

If we bottom out again this season (which I think we will), get more than role player free agents next July 1st. Sign players who are still young and could have a mjor role on this team on long term contracts. A player like Coburn could be signed to a long term contract for a decent cap hit

If we still suck this season, this will be the last season that the fan base will tolerate it. Next season we need to make a push for the playoffs so retool this season for what you (Tambelinni) think we need to have to become eventual Stanley Cup champs.

Contracts

When the rookies are up for new contracts, extend them until they have 1 more year of RFA status. Then gauge how long the team should commit.

IF management wants to keep Hemsky (which I don't think is a good idea personally), sign him to a 1 year extention to see if his body is still reliable. Any longer and we might screw ourselves at a bad time when the rooks need new contracts.

If the new CBA has a drop in cap and allows unpenalized buyouts, buyout Horcoff and then reisgn for 2 mil for 2 years (he'd then be making the same amount as if we didn't buy him out). Sign Smyth for 2 years and 2 mil as well.

If we bottom out again this season (which I think we will), get more than role player free agents next July 1st. Sign players who are still young and could have a mjor role on this team on long term contracts. A player like Coburn could be signed to a long term contract for a decent cap hit

If we still suck this season, this will be the last season that the fan base will tolerate it. Next season we need to make a push for the playoffs so retool this season for what you (Tambelinni) think we need to have to become eventual Stanley Cup champs.

Disagree with many points, but that's ok. You have your opinion and I have mine. Just wanted to point out that if you buy someone out, you can't resign them for at least 2 years (as far as I know)

Contracts

I also disagree with a large amount of the statements you have written. Especially about going after high priced UFA. I like the idea of growing our own talent.

Back on topic...

If Hemsky wants to resign here sign him to a three year contract. I bet you could get him for less than 5.5 mil. Maybe even 4.5 mil.

Hemsky's current contract: http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=12

If Hemsky is on board with the idea of building this team into a contender I bet he signs for a salary similar to what he is making now. He has never struck me as greedy and has always come off as a team player despite being the "star" of the Oilers for years. IMO Hemsky seems like he would enjoy being able to contribute nightly but be enthused to have the spotlight on guys like Hall and Eberle. If this is the case (I know I am making a lot of assumptions) Hemsky could really shine over the next couple years and maybe be a huge contributer at a good price.

IMO Hemsky would perform best for the Oilers as Hossa does in Chicago. The capable star on the second line who is awesome but, is the depth star player that makes our lines hard to match up against.

OMark is great but is unproven. I see no problem with him on the third line + power play time for the next couple years. There is no doubt that Hemsky vs. OMark will continue. Personally I don't really get it. Our left side is full of grinders and power forwards I see no problem with having three skilled players on our right wing (Eberle, OMark, Hemsky). If Omark starts outplaying Hemsky the solution is simple... We will have Alex FRICKEN Hemsky on our third line! IF OMark becomes that good we will have an excellent problem.

I think many people also forget that OMark is really a natural Left wing not a RW. He just plays both sides and switched to play with Paajarvi. Who is to say we don't MacBlender the four of them around the middle four wings (Smyth included) depending on the game? - assuming [Hall - RNH - Eberle] is a solid #1 in years to come.

Omarks Profile: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8474059

I also disagree with a large amount of the statements you have written. Especially about going after high priced UFA. I like the idea of growing our own talent.

Back on topic...

If Hemsky wants to resign here sign him to a three year contract. I bet you could get him for less than 5.5 mil. Maybe even 4.5 mil.

If Hemsky is on board with the idea of building this team into a contender I bet he signs for a salary similar to what he is making now. He has never struck me as greedy and has always come off as a team player despite being the "star" of the Oilers for years. IMO Hemsky seems like he would enjoy being able to contribute nightly but be enthused to have the spotlight on guys like Hall and Eberle. If this is the case (I know I am making a lot of assumptions) Hemsky could really shine over the next couple years and maybe be a huge contributer at a good price.

IMO Hemsky would perform best for the Oilers as Hossa does in Chicago. The capable star on the second line who is awesome but, is the depth star player that makes our lines hard to match up against.

OMark is great but is unproven. I see no problem with him on the third line + power play time for the next couple years. There is no doubt that Hemsky vs. OMark will continue. Personally I don't really get it. Our left side is full of grinders and power forwards I see no problem with having three skilled players on our right wing (Eberle, OMark, Hemsky). If Omark starts outplaying Hemsky the solution is simple... We will have Alex FRICKEN Hemsky on our third line! IF OMark becomes that good we will have an excellent problem.

I think many people also forget that OMark is really a natural Left wing not a RW. He just plays both sides and switched to play with Paajarvi. Who is to say we don't MacBlender the three of them around the middle 6 depending on the game? - assuming [Hall - RNH - Eberle] is a solid #1

Wow. I actually never thought of it that way, but agree completely on all counts.

+ infinity.

I'm not sure what to do with hemsky and I dont think I will be decided until next season. I mean if Hemmer puts up a full season 65+ points or so, then I am okay with a contract of 1-3 years but I'm not crazy about 3-5 years because one year doesnt make him an iron man.

Disagree with many points, but that's ok. You have your opinion and I have mine. Just wanted to point out that if you buy someone out, you can't resign them for at least 2 years (as far as I know)

I didn't know that. I believe you but do you got any more info on that?

Back on topic...

I think many people also forget that OMark is really a natural Left wing not a RW. He just plays both sides and switched to play with Paajarvi. Who is to say we don't MacBlender the four of them around the middle four wings (Smyth included) depending on the game? - assuming [Hall - RNH - Eberle] is a solid #1 in years to come.

I was looking at the 2012 UFA list and Braydon Coburn is actually the only one I want. I think we could sign him long term for cheap.

I know I will be in the minority when I say this but I don't think having 3 scoring lines would create a competitive team in the long run. Having 3 scoring lines would make it hard to distribute power play time. It might make 3rd liners contracts higher because they score more points than defend. It might make teams have a harder time defending us during the regular season but the grinders are usually the ones who make it big in the playoffs and having 3 scoring lines would reduce the amount of grinders we have. This is just my opinion.

Persoanlly, I would like 2 scoring lines with a power forard on each one, a 3rd line that's a jack of all trades line and a utility 4th line that can play more than a few minutes.

This is just an example of how I like the Oilers forwards to look like around the 2013-2014 season

Hall-NugentHopkins-(POWER FORWARD)

Hamilton-Johansen-Eberle

Paajarvi-Lander-Hartikainen

Smyth-Horcoff-(Whoever)

If these players live up to their potential, this would be the best forward group in the league and deadly in the playoffs.

I was looking at the 2012 UFA list and Braydon Coburn is actually the only one I want. I think we could sign him long term for cheap.

I know I will be in the minority when I say this but I don't think having 3 scoring lines would create a competitive team in the long run. Having 3 scoring lines would make it hard to distribute power play time. It might make 3rd liners contracts higher because they score more points than defend. It might make teams have a harder time defending us during the regular season but the grinders are usually the ones who make it big in the playoffs and having 3 scoring lines would reduce the amount of grinders we have. This is just my opinion.

Persoanlly, I would like 2 scoring lines with a power forard on each one, a 3rd line that's a jack of all trades line and a utility 4th line that can play more than a few minutes.

This is just an example of how I like the Oilers forwards to look like around the 2013-2014 season

Hamilton-Johansen-Eberle

Smyth-Horcoff-(Whoever)

If these players live up to their potential, this would be the best forward group in the league and deadly in the playoffs.

No, I actually dont. I could be wrong, but im pretty sure.

At any rate, im too lazy to look it up.

Give him 3-5 years if he can stay healthy. 1 year if he can't just to give him one more shot to prove his health. Under no circumstances give him two years because then we'd be screwed royally when it was time to resign Hope+hemsky+Whitney.

As for $$$ value, start negotiations at 3.5 M and let him talk you up to 5.25 M max. That way you have a shot at a great deal and if he does talk you up than it's not too bad, and he will feel like he won the negotiations.

i've been leading the get rid of hemsky charge all summer but i've changed my mind after seeing him at the developmental camp. to me it shows that after everything that's happened here in the last few years he sees himself as an oiler before anything else. that's commitment and that's leadership. i'm still very concerned about his health but he clearly wants an opportunity to show all of that is behind him now. he definitely deserves that chance. because of what's coming up behind him, he's going to have to take less money to stay here. i've got a feeling he understands that. i like your approach to the dollar figures although i'd feel alot better with a maximum of 3 years instead of something longer.

i've been leading the get rid of hemsky charge all summer but i've changed my mind after seeing him at the developmental camp. to me it shows that after everything that's happened here in the last few years he sees himself as an oiler before anything else. that's commitment and that's leadership. i'm still very concerned about his health but he clearly wants an opportunity to show all of that is behind him now. he definitely deserves that chance. because of what's coming up behind him, he's going to have to take less money to stay here. i've got a feeling he understands that. i like your approach to the dollar figures although i'd feel alot better with a maximum of 3 years instead of something longer.

Welcome to Camp Hemsky!

And I have to agree with you assessment of the length, 5 years really is insanity.

Also, his appearance at the camp was what convinced me without a doubt that he wants to be here. He could have tested his shoulder on any ice in the city. Hell, he could have bought any of the ice in the city. But he chose to go with the rookies. That's class, that's leadership. Just imagine how that makes those rookies fell, showing up and he's there. Also, I doubt that management would let him go with the rookies if he was getting moved tomorrow. That would be quite the buzzkill for those guys.

I would be happy if Hemsky signed a Horcoff cap hit. Knowing the rule about signing before the age of 35, I could see a 5 year contract followed up by a Kovalchuk-styled front loaded contract. You got to think that Hemsky will not last as long in the league as others so that second contract could be a huge cap savings if it signs him until he is 39. The rule for an RFA turning into a UFA is 7 years in the league or turning 27 years old, so this should time just about perfectly, have RFA bargaining strength over the 3 big rookies and maybe sell them on a modest second contract until Hemsky's bargain cap hit kicks in.

Of course the new CBA could throw all this in the garbage

I would be happy if Hemsky signed a Horcoff cap hit. Knowing the rule about signing before the age of 35, I could see a 5 year contract followed up by a Kovalchuk-styled front loaded contract. You got to think that Hemsky will not last as long in the league as others so that second contract could be a huge cap savings if it signs him until he is 39. The rule for an RFA turning into a UFA is 7 years in the league or turning 27 years old, so this should time just about perfectly, have RFA bargaining strength over the 3 big rookies and maybe sell them on a modest second contract until Hemsky's bargain cap hit kicks in.

Of course the new CBA could throw all this in the garbage

i think those kind of contracts are a thing of the past anyway. the league wasn't impressed with luongo's contract as well as a few others and they finally snapped with kovalchuk's. from a team standpoint i don't think they work very well anyway, they put alot of pressure on the player. the devils dropped like a rock this year and canuck fans think they're just a goalie away from winning it all but they're stuck with luongo for 11 more years.

Hamilton-Johansen-Eberle

Smyth-Horcoff-(Whoever)

I can see what you are getting at Connor but, I still disagree. You seem to want a bigger... harder to play against Oilers team. The problem is who is that "Power Forward"? Does he even want to be here? Do we need to overpay to get him? Is he still 5 years away in his development? I agree we need grit but that is only one ingredient in the making of a winning hockey club. I want to see camaraderie, chemistry, skill, and speed to name just a few. More importantly I think there comes a point where we need to appreciate when a player is committed to our a club and make a commitment to them. Especially when they a world class talent.

I was happy with three scoring lines because next year so they can compete for minutes. Every game the players that are playing the best are going to get those minutes I would bet money on that. I also like that we should have a functional 4th line next year that can't play real minutes with some of the recent UFA acquisitions. I would love to see them play Eager up in the line up a shift or two if he is having a good game just to punish some players when they are least expecting it.

Hemsky played the PK last year quite well and in the last few years has really rounded out as a complete player. I think many people under value a healthy Hemsky. If Hemsky is on board with the Oilers I am on board with Hemsky. That includes signing a reasonable contract.

He will dangle around your "power forward" ;)

Only time will tell and of coarse this is all contingent on Hemsky's heath. If he can't stay healthy this year I will be more than worried.

I can see what you are getting at Connor but, I still disagree. You seem to want a bigger... harder to play against Oilers team. The problem is who is that "Power Forward"? Does he even want to be here? Do we need to overpay to get him? Is he still 5 years away in his development? I agree we need grit but that is only one ingredient in the making of a winning hockey club. I want to see camaraderie, chemistry, skill, and speed to name just a few. More importantly I think there comes a point where we need to appreciate when a player is committed to our a club and make a commitment to them. Especially when they a world class talent.

I was happy with three scoring lines because next year so they can compete for minutes. Every game the players that are playing the best are going to get those minutes I would bet money on that. I also like that we should have a functional 4th line next year that can't play real minutes with some of the recent UFA acquisitions. I would love to see them play Eager up in the line up a shift or two if he is having a good game just to punish some players when they are least expecting it.

Hemsky played the PK last year quite well and in the last few years has really rounded out as a complete player. I think many people under value a healthy Hemsky. If Hemsky is on board with the Oilers I am on board with Hemsky. That includes signing a reasonable contract.

He will dangle around your "power forward" ;)

Only time will tell and of coarse this is all contingent on Hemsky's heath. If he can't stay healthy this year I will be more than worried.

- It doesn't have to be a superstar power forward. Just a player who can skate, hit, play defensively and do the dirty work. I'm not saying I want this player but what Tyler Biggs is projected to be or a Colby Armstrong. No more than a 3 mil per year guy.

- I understand fans wanting to be loyal to a star player who has been loyal to us but I think it all hinges on the cost of being loyal. We can re-sign Hemsky to a 5 year deal but he could get another shoulder injury, he could get another concussion. The re-occuring shoulder injuries are a serious problem, probably one of the hardest parts of the body to repair. Hemsky is a good player and he has been good to the Oilers but to commit this guy to the team for an extended time with so many question marks is risky.

- If we have the forwards, I'm all for 3 scoring lines next season. I just don't think we can commit to 3 scoring lines indefinitely. Eventually when the Oilers are playoff worthy, I think the team will need a bonafide checking line.

- Under value a HEALTHY Hemsky?If Hemsky was a consistent 75 game, 75 point player who could play on 2nd unit PK he would be valuble. I think that would make him a great complimentary player but he wouldn't be the game that leads a team to a cup.

Hemsky is such a wildcard. I honestly don't know what I would want the Oilers to do with him. Injury prone, inconsist and fragile player... but still good trade bait OR veteran with great hands and overall finesse that could easily become an elite player with a breakout season. It's hard to say which Hemsky we'll get next season. if we do keep him and end up resigning him, I would be very happy however he could be a key piece in a trade that could bring us back a top defensemen or a high draft pick, while going a team that wants to take a gamble.

hemsky deserves a shot to show us his shoulder is fixed. i've been debating with myself, but now it seems to me that since he has said that his shoulder has been bad for two years. he also said it slowly got worse. now he has been close to a point per game when playing with this injury. his shoulder feels good he said, so we should expect a very good year considering he has more talent to play with & a contract year at that.

also a healthy productive hemsky who could finally have a career year would certainly help a run at the play offs. so now i find myself saying " yeah let's keep him".

Persoanlly, I would like 2 scoring lines with a power forard on each one, a 3rd line that's a jack of all trades(also shut down line) line and a utility 4th line that can play more than a few minutes.

Hamilton-Johansen-Eberle

Smyth-Horcoff-(Whoever)

I would have to agree on the bolded statement. I don't really see the lineup looking like yours but I like the makeup you suggest. Mostly having a legit 3rd line that can shut down teams opposing top lines, but can also burn you in the other end of the ice. That is key in the playoffs. I'd also KILL for a Lucic or a Horton. An element that this team needs. Penner was supposed to be that guy, but he was a let down most nights.

On topic, I am now on the fence with this whole Hemsky situation. But, after his comments, I would do a 1 year deal IF he can manage to stay healthy and his shoulder holds up. That's my biggest concern, specially if the kids(Omark, Ebs) manage to out perform him, which would make him expendable. Anything is possible. In a perfect world though I would keep everyone, but unfortunately you need alot of different kinds of playing styles to win the prize. If the return was a number 1 dman or a scoring power forward I would make that trade with no hesitation. :th_scared:

hemsky deserves a shot to show us his shoulder is fixed. i've been debating with myself, but now it seems to me that since he has said that his shoulder has been bad for two years. he also said it slowly got worse. now he has been close to a point per game when playing with this injury. his shoulder feels good he said, so we should expect a very good year considering he has more talent to play with & a contract year at that.

also a healthy productive hemsky who could finally have a career year would certainly help a run at the play offs. so now i find myself saying " yeah let's keep him".

This is why I'm having trouble with this. If Hemmer has a career year I'd keep him and possibly package Omark in a deal. So many 'IFs'.

I would much rather keep Hemsky than Omark. Not a knock on Omark, I just think Hemsky is a better player than Omark will ever be. With Regehr gone from Calgary, I see Hemsky NOT getting injured as much haha.

2012/2013 Lines:

Hall-RNH-Eberle

Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky

Smyth-Horcoff-Jones

Eager-Belanger-Hartikainen/Hordichuck

2014/2015 Lines:

Hall-RNH-Eberle

Paajarvi-Gagner-Hemsky

Hamilton-Lander/VV-Hartikainen

Eager-Belganer-Jones/Hordichuck

Horcoff

I really think we NEED a line of Smyth- Horc-Hemmer at least for next year. Thus line can play the hard minutes, be defensively responsible, and keep our kids away from the top D pairings. Also a extremely effective offensive line. Without that, our playoff hopes next year are shot IMO. If/when Hemmer gets hurt, I think ebs could fill his spot quite well, as he is quite mature and defensively responsible. Omark is not ready for top line minutes though, so I wouldn't sub him in for hemsky right away.

He has never struck me as greedy and has always come off as a team player despite being the "star" of the Oilers for years. IMO Hemsky seems like he would enjoy being able to contribute nightly but be enthused to have the spotlight on guys like Hall and Eberle. If this is the case (I know I am making a lot of assumptions) Hemsky could really shine over the next couple years and maybe be a huge contributer at a good price...........

What?????

Hemsky is the guy who wouldn't leave the bench to congratulate Kotalik on scoring the winning shoot-out goal cuz he was pouting about not being picked! He's the guy who went to the media to complain about MacT with 10 games left in a playoff race. He cried about not being "the guy" when Gagner/Nilsson/Kotalik got it going, and then had Nilsson scratched.

He is the one Oiler who openly stated that he wanted to be the star of the show. He's the one guy singled out as the "last on the ice, first off the ice" for practices.

I don't know where you are getting these impressions, but what little evidence we fans have gotten, all points to the exact opposite being true.

What?????

Hemsky is the guy who wouldn't leave the bench to congratulate Kotalik on scoring the winning shoot-out goal cuz he was pouting about not being picked! He's the guy who went to the media to complain about MacT with 10 games left in a playoff race. He cried about not being "the guy" when Gagner/Nilsson/Kotalik got it going, and then had Nilsson scratched.

He is the one Oiler who openly stated that he wanted to be the star of the show. He's the one guy singled out as the "last on the ice, first off the ice" for practices.

I don't know where you are getting these impressions, but what little evidence we fans have gotten, all points to the exact opposite being true.

Yet here he is skateing in the rookie development camp to try and get his shoulder into game time shape, Go Figure :rolleyes:

Yet here he is skateing in the rookie development camp to try and get his shoulder into game time shape, Go Figure :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised if management asked him to skate with the rookies for insperational perposes. I still take that as a sign of him being good in the room (otherwise they would have sent someone else) and that he isn't going to be traded soon (buzzkill for the rookies if he was)

5 or 6 years deal would be great, next 2 season could be most important for Oilers and Aleš said,, that he wants to stay in Edmonton for as long as it possible. He doesn't want to move and that's I think great! With this new guys, he can be star player again! :-)

I disigree with the 5-6 years maby 2-3 years at the very most I doubt his health issues will change that much. Don't get me wrong I think hem is awsome hockey player but we need that skill all season not for only half. He makes it hard to keep and also to get a decient trade because of his health.

I disigree with the 5-6 years maby 2-3 years at the very most I doubt his health issues will change that much. Don't get me wrong I think hem is awsome hockey player but we need that skill all season not for only half. He makes it hard to keep and also to get a decient trade because of his health.

Yes, his combination of world class skill and lack of any health endurance has put us in the most awkward situation the team has been in in quite some time.