The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Zuko

Ales Hemsky

i don't know why so many people are down on dubnyk. he keeps on getting better & he's pretty good now. he put up decent numbers all last season, but got better at the end. he's been playing with a suspect D for his entire NHL career. he's maturing into his size & he's got size. i say start this guy give him a shot.

He is better than Khabby now, but he has to improve alot before he is good enough for a real run in the play offs. Sure, he could turn out to be that goalie, but we dont know that yet.

Personally , I'm looking forward to seeing Hemsky play with Smyth & Horcoff . As well I'm kind of looking forward to seeing the Swedes all together on a line Omark-Lander-Paajarvi . Then I wonder if Gagner or Belanger would be a better center for Hall & Eberle . Then I wonder who will be the fourth line center , Brule , O'Marra , Vande Velde , or Petrell , with Eager & Jones . It looks nearly all set , just a few question marks , but Hemsky isn't one of them .

I still can't shake the feeling of watching Hemsky with Hall. It's like... we had a first line.

Hemsky is not suited to play with Horcoff or even Smyth imo. With Hall, Hemsky started looking like the player he was always supposed to be. (hemsky brought out the best in Hall as well) I'm not sure what the lines will end up being but I want those two together at least. It could be Hall-RNH-Hemsky eventually, or even something like MPS-Hall-Hemsky if we move Hall back to center like we tried (and succeeded with) this last season.

I like the idea of a Swede line though, and they are actually quite complementary to each other. They all have great hands but Lander is the slower gritty one, MPS protects the puck and wheels, and Omark is just pure tenacity who makes defenders look stupid when he is on his game.

He is better than Khabby now, but he has to improve alot before he is good enough for a real run in the play offs. Sure, he could turn out to be that goalie, but we dont know that yet.

this is why i want to give him that starting time to see how he performs. he seems to be getting better with time. we won't win the cup next season for sure, so why not see what we have before talk of bringing in a goalie who might take his ice time ?

I still can't shake the feeling of watching Hemsky with Hall. It's like... we had a first line.

Hemsky is not suited to play with Horcoff or even Smyth imo. With Hall, Hemsky started looking like the player he was always supposed to be. (hemsky brought out the best in Hall as well) I'm not sure what the lines will end up being but I want those two together at least. It could be Hall-RNH-Hemsky eventually, or even something like MPS-Hall-Hemsky if we move Hall back to center like we tried (and succeeded with) this last season.

I like the idea of a Swede line though, and they are actually quite complementary to each other. They all have great hands but Lander is the slower gritty one, MPS protects the puck and wheels, and Omark is just pure tenacity who makes defenders look stupid when he is on his game.

that's the beauty of our predicament we have options of who can play where. this is the start of our depth & i like it. we also have choices on who to call up from a farm system that is also adding depth. good times are not far off, it won't be long before my wife gets mad at me again for making too much noise cheering my oilers. i never stopped, but i so rarely disturbed her she didn't have the heart to get mad at me any more.

What worries me is having soo much depth that the players down on the depth chart get impatient waiting for a shot to play with the big club and sign elsewhere when their contracts are up. Then we lose these depth players or players with potential to become star players due to insufficient roster spots. Not a bad problem but still it must be hard to be a GM.

We will never get equal value in a trade for Hemsky because of he injury history. The best possible thing that Hemsky could do for the Oilers is play 82 games next year. The second best would be to get traded and play another injury plagued season next year with another team. The worst would be if we traded him right before his career year.

IMO

We will never get equal value in a trade for Hemsky because of he injury history. The best possible thing that Hemsky could do for the Oilers is play 82 games next year. The second best would be to get traded and play another injury plagued season next year with another team. The worst would be if we traded him right before his career year.

IMO

Actually the best thing Hemsky can do is play a full 82 game season next year and has a career year and keeps on doing it every year with Edmonton. Having a player that can do above 80 points every year is not something you can replace that easily.

The true debate on Hemsky is his worth.

What is he worth via trade?

How does he rank as a forward and as a right winger on the team and in the league?

Well if you check this article http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/2011/02/26/oilers_hemsky/ it shows you what value he has on the team. Tambellini wanted Schenn straigth up for Hemsky no picks involved or other players involved. LA didn't want to, but regardless you can see he's valued pretty high with management.

As for around the league, well it's hard to say. Teams undervalue him on Edmonton, but value him pretty high on their team. For example, LA really want Hemsky, it's been a couple of years they are after him, where he will play on the first line with Kopitar and such. So he's good enough to play on the first line, good enough to be sought after above any other RW (according to LA) yet not good enough to pay for one. That to me sounds like LA is trying to pull a fast one and wants to get an elite player for nothing. Which is not going to happen.

So basically if Hemsky is to be traded it would have to be for an 80 point player or above, or else a team like LA can go trade with some other team like Toronto who will be willing to overcompensate in a trade.

The true debate on Hemsky is his worth.

What is he worth via trade?

How does he rank as a forward and as a right winger on the team and in the league?

forgive the laziness, but I'm not sure if it was this thread where I mentioned what I think Hemsky would fetch in trade.

It is one more reason that we should keep him. If people only knew how little we would get for him they would never be suggesting a trade considering we might actually get to keep him.

Penner got us this:

Teubert (a defensive prospect who fell off the depth chart)

1st rounder (19th overall)

3rd rounder (conditional 2nd)

Penner had a whole other year left on his contract though, and so I would say that Hemsky will get less than Penner, since Hemsky would qualify as a rental. How much less you ask? Take what we got for Penner, and then subtract the 1st rounder. That is what we would get. The longer we wait the worse it gets too. If you really think that Hemksy has no future on this team, you would have to agree that the best course would be to trade him after we sign him so we at least get something good back.

Hemsky is here to stay. It's not a matter of how we'll get for him. It's a matter of how much we'll sign him for. 5 yrs 5mil per?

NO NO NO NO!!!!

the $$$$ is ok but the term is ludicrous.

4.5 M For 3 years. Negotiate up to 5 if neseccary.

NO NO NO NO!!!!

the $$$$ is ok but the term is ludicrous.

4.5 M For 3 years. Negotiate up to 5 if neseccary.

if you want to sign him for cheaper the term is going to have to be longer. 5 yrs seems Okay he's 27 now would only be 32 at the end of his contract.

if you want to sign him for cheaper the term is going to have to be longer. 5 yrs seems Okay he's 27 now would only be 32 at the end of his contract.

I would never give Hemmer 5 years. EVER. 3 max with his injuries. Let's see how he holds up then talk extensions.

Bah. Sign him for one year. If he can prove to Mgmt that he can stay healthy for one season, then ask 3.

IMO

I think the best case scenarios are:

1. We trade him now and get good value from a desperate team.

2. We keep him and he doesn't get injured and plays well all season and we get a really good deal at the deadline.

3. We keep him and sing him to an extention and he has no more injury problems for the rest of his career.

Worst case scenarios:

1. He does great next season and we sign him to a long term contract and see him constantly on the IR for years to come.

2. We don't trade him and then he gets hurt again and we can't trade him for anything.

3. He has a great season but wants too much money on his next contract and he walks for nothing.

Actually the best thing Hemsky can do is play a full 82 game season next year and has a career year and keeps on doing it every year with Edmonton. Having a player that can do above 80 points every year is not something you can replace that easily.

Well if you check this article http://www.sportsnet.../oilers_hemsky/ it shows you what value he has on the team. Tambellini wanted Schenn straigth up for Hemsky no picks involved or other players involved. LA didn't want to, but regardless you can see he's valued pretty high with management.

As for around the league, well it's hard to say. Teams undervalue him on Edmonton, but value him pretty high on their team. For exame, LA really want Hemsky, it's been a couple of years they are after him, where he will play on the first line with Kopitar and such. So he's good enough to play on the first line, good enough to be sought after above any other RW (according to LA) yet not good enough to pay for one. That to me sounds like LA is trying to pull a fast one and wants to get an elite player for nothing. Which is not going to happen.

So basically if Hemsky is to be traded it would have to be for an 80 point player or above, or else a team like LA can go trade with some other team like Toronto who will be willing to overcompensate in a trade.

It's hard to replace something we've never had.

forgive the laziness, but I'm not sure if it was this thread where I mentioned what I think Hemsky would fetch in trade.

It is one more reason that we should keep him. If people only knew how little we would get for him they would never be suggesting a trade considering we might actually get to keep him.

Penner got us this:

Teubert (a defensive prospect who fell off the depth chart)

1st rounder (19th overall)

3rd rounder (conditional 2nd)

Penner had a whole other year left on his contract though, and so I would say that Hemsky will get less than Penner, since Hemsky would qualify as a rental. How much less you ask? Take what we got for Penner, and then subtract the 1st rounder. That is what we would get. The longer we wait the worse it gets too. If you really think that Hemksy has no future on this team, you would have to agree that the best course would be to trade him after we sign him so we at least get something good back.

I think trading Hemsky now should get a decent 1st rounder or a higher end prospect. If he stays healthy and we trade him at the deadline he should get at least a Penner package.

The big thing is IF on Hemsky.

Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a player so up in the air as this guy.

At best.... he's a poor man's Kurri (if he plays 70+ games a year and 70+ points for the next 5 years)

At worst he could end up being 40 games a year guy getting 30 points but being paid like the guy above.

Anyone wanna roll the dice????

To be honest i used to never really like Hemsky. Probably because the only times i watched him, he would just take the puck in on the right side, skate around the net with it, take it back up the left side, and then the play was over. Like he did that so many effin time that i just didnt watch what he did anymore.

Then i started to really watch him last year. And in the 23.66 , repeating of course, games he actually played i realized that he is actually pretty damn good.

Lets just take a minute every night and pray to the hockey gods that he stays healthy for the rest of his career, and that if he does stay healthy, he is in fact wearing oilers colours.

It's hard to replace something we've never had.

So ok you say we never had it. Hemsky best career was 77 points, 3 shy of 80. But ok since some people don't want to agree that he's an 80 point player and above. So one thing we can agree on then is he's a 70 point player right?

Since the lockout though there is no denying that he's been our best player. And he still hasn't reached his prime.

2010-2011

Jordan Eberle with 43 points in 69 games was our top player

2009-2010

Dustin Penner with 63 points in 82 games

2008-2009

Ales Hemsky with 66 points in 72 games

2007-2008

Ales Hemsky with 71 points in 74 games

2006-2007

Peter Sykora with 53 points in 82 games

Ales Hemsky with 53 points in 64 games

2005-2006

Ales Hemsky with 77 points in 81 games

Shawn Horcoff with 73 points in 79 games

So the last 2 years without Hemsky we only had one player reach above 60 points and barely, when Hemsky played he had 2 seasons with above 70 points and 1 above 60 and another one above 50. So let me rephrase that then, it's hard to replace of someone's skill and talent like Hemsky and be a PPG player. Many teams usually only have 1 or 2 of them. We have 1 now and possibly a second one with Hall. Replacing him is not something to do easily, no matter what talent you have.

Gagner has some pretty good skill yet he always hovers around 40 points or so. It's one thing to have talent and using it on the ice, it's another to have talent and not being able to use it properly. Right now our rookie show that talent, but in there first year they have yet to use it properly. Again it's only there first year so let's see how the second year goes. But until one of these rookies manage to show that they can be a PPG player and be able to contribute as much as Hemsky did (regardless of the last 2 season, he contributed alot in all his career with us, including the 2006 playoffs) I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of Hemsky.

Right now is not the right time to trade him, the best thing we can do is sign him an extension contract and see how it goes this year, then near trade deadline day is the time to see if we keep him or trade him.

I think trading Hemsky now should get a decent 1st rounder or a higher end prospect. If he stays healthy and we trade him at the deadline he should get at least a Penner package.

no team is desperate enough to give up a first rounder today for a rental who might only play half the season and then walk. The season hasn't even started yet so I see GMs being optimistic about their teams for now. Maybe Columbus would bite but again, the odds aren't good. Columbus already sold the farm on Carter I doubt they would do the same again for Hemsky. I bet they sit on their team and see what happens.

if you factor in injury issues, Hemsky = Penner in terms of trade value. Penner had a whole other year on his contract though, so expect a lot less return for Hemsky. Also remember that the Penner trade was considered a desperation move and an overpayment so don't give your hopes up.

The Oilers should sign him for at least 2 years.

i'd like to see hemsky sign for 3 years at about 4.5 a year, 5.5 tops for 1 of thew years.

i'd like to see hemsky sign for 3 years at about 4.5 a year, 5.5 tops for 1 of thew years.

IMO that would be a fair value considering his injuries. If he ends up playing close to a full season in all of those 3 years and has above 80 points then I could see his next contract be closer to 6mil per year and around 3 to 5 years. But it's a big if :), he has to play atleast above 70 games.