SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
OILERS MESSAGE BOARD

Photo
- - - - -

Ales Hemsky

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
202 replies to this topic

#76 Scrub64

Scrub64

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:42 PM

Like I STATED...so when does one of his SURGICALLY repaired shoulders give out when he dives into the corner offensively, as his aggressive style does, and he gets taken out...and gets up flinching his arm...

enough...I love the guy to, his time has come, sorry, move him while we have the chance...package with Horcoff and Gilbert...this team won't be hurting without them....and yes I said it... :th_scared:

I am certainly no medical expert, but hasn't it been stated that Hemsky's "surgically repaired" shoulders will be 100% by the start of the season, with only minor loss of mobility? To me that says that they will hold up as well as any non-surgically repaired shoulder, so wouldn't that make the chances of re-injury about the same as it ever was?

And if you think Horcoff is going anywhere without being waived or bought out first you are dreaming. I don't think either one of those things happen, nor do I think they should.

#77 TJ0099

TJ0099

3rd Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 05:54 PM

I am certainly no medical expert, but hasn't it been stated that Hemsky's "surgically repaired" shoulders will be 100% by the start of the season, with only minor loss of mobility? To me that says that they will hold up as well as any non-surgically repaired shoulder, so wouldn't that make the chances of re-injury about the same as it ever was?

And if you think Horcoff is going anywhere without being waived or bought out first you are dreaming. I don't think either one of those things happen, nor do I think they should.

you stated Surgically REPAIRED...100%...ok Doctor, you show me...is the body 100% without alteration in it's original state or after injury will it return after alteration...100%...y or n...

hey, I can wish on the departure of Horcoff and Gilbert like most, the most highend and useless contracts we have...

#78 Scrub64

Scrub64

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:08 PM

you stated Surgically REPAIRED...100%...ok Doctor, you show me...

Oopsy, did I go and claim to be a doctor again?? Let me check...
Nope, I just re-read what I posted, no mention of a PhD at all... weird...

...is the body 100% without alteration in it's original state or after injury will it return after alteration...100%...y or n...

Since we have established that I'm not a doctor, I obviously can't answwer that question. By your condescending tone, it seems you do know the answer to that question, you MUST have medical training. Please educate me, oh wise and powerful message board poster!!

#79 TJ0099

TJ0099

3rd Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:22 PM

Oopsy, did I go and claim to be a doctor again?? Let me check...
Nope, I just re-read what I posted, no mention of a PhD at all... weird...

Since we have established that I'm not a doctor, I obviously can't answwer that question. By your condescending tone, it seems you do know the answer to that question, you MUST have medical training. Please educate me, oh wise and powerful message board poster!!

ever heard of the tune with a partridge in a pear tree...

wow...you are touchie...are your feelings hurt, is it the Sunday Blues oh sensative 1...sorry, no intention...

#80 Scrub64

Scrub64

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:33 PM

Yeah, I am so sullen and downtrodden that I may never be able to post again... where's my Xanax... waaaaaaaaaaaaa :(

:th_rolf:

Hey dude, just taking a your snide, smart-a$$ remark and returning it in kind...

And what does "The 12 Days of Christmas" have to do with shoulder surgery, I fail to see the connection. :th_shrug:

Edited by Scrub64, 10 July 2011 - 06:34 PM.

#81 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:48 PM

ever heard of the tune with a partridge in a pear tree...

wow...you are touchie...are your feelings hurt, is it the Sunday Blues oh sensative 1...sorry, no intention...

Why are you being a d!ck?

He said he wasn't a doctor. He just stated what was published about Hemsky's shoulders. Who cares?

#82 Scrub64

Scrub64

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,254 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 06:52 PM

...stated what was published about Hemsky's shoulders...

This.

#83 jessejames

jessejames

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

When they interviewed Hemmer he said he wasn 't 100% but must keep working on his rehab. I would not hesitate in trading him at this point if he is pretty healthy because in games, I can see him going out again after a few hits. He went to camp with the rookies to find out about what it was like.
Time will tell, but if we could trade him for someone more healthy who could replace him, I would be in favour of that. I don't think the KIngs would take him at this point though.
If it did get down to either him or Horc to be traded, I would send Horc down the road so fast he wouldn't know what hit him. Both of these guys are high potential for on going injuries, but at least Hemmer can play better than Horc, our overpaid and overrated C.
Besides these two guys, I would love to see Gilbert move out of town also. He is the Oilers worst enemy on D with all his giveaways and non contact hockey.

#84 Cujo3000

Cujo3000

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 11:57 PM

When they interviewed Hemmer he said he wasn 't 100% but must keep working on his rehab. I would not hesitate in trading him at this point if he is pretty healthy because in games, I can see him going out again after a few hits. He went to camp with the rookies to find out about what it was like.
Time will tell, but if we could trade him for someone more healthy who could replace him, I would be in favour of that. I don't think the KIngs would take him at this point though.
If it did get down to either him or Horc to be traded, I would send Horc down the road so fast he wouldn't know what hit him. Both of these guys are high potential for on going injuries, but at least Hemmer can play better than Horc, our overpaid and overrated C.
Besides these two guys, I would love to see Gilbert move out of town also. He is the Oilers worst enemy on D with all his giveaways and non contact hockey.

That is the problem, there is no player that can replace Hemsky, not in this team yet (Hall and co have the potential for it, but they are not there yet). And no team would get rid of there best player to get Hemsky. Not because he isn't worth it, but because the deal would be meaningless.

What is the point of trading 1 80 point player for another. The point is to make your team better, not just the same. The only way is that player has issue on playing with that team. But then why would we want him.

So there is almost no reason to trade Hemsky unless two things happen. If he gets injured again for half a season or if he doesn't want to resign here, both of those will take time to determine. And will most probably only be done at trade deadline day. But if Hemsky is healthy and having a career year, I don't think that Tambellini will want to trade him. Even if it costs him 6mil per year. It's not like he's paying 6mil per year on a player that can only do 40 points or something.

It would be on a player that can do 80 points per year and has the potential for more. As Hemsky got those numbers on a team that didn't have the talent we have now. I don't see any other player in the Oilers lineup this year making that, except for maybe Hall. But wouldn't it be better to keep both Hall and Hemsky that way we have 2 80 point players instead of one???

But again that all depends on his play this year. If he's healthy and has a career year I think he will be signed.

We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done.

#85 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:26 AM

That is the problem, there is no player that can replace Hemsky, not in this team yet (Hall and co have the potential for it, but they are not there yet). And no team would get rid of there best player to get Hemsky. Not because he isn't worth it, but because the deal would be meaningless.

What is the point of trading 1 80 point player for another. The point is to make your team better, not just the same. The only way is that player has issue on playing with that team. But then why would we want him.

So there is almost no reason to trade Hemsky unless two things happen. If he gets injured again for half a season or if he doesn't want to resign here, both of those will take time to determine. And will most probably only be done at trade deadline day. But if Hemsky is healthy and having a career year, I don't think that Tambellini will want to trade him. Even if it costs him 6mil per year. It's not like he's paying 6mil per year on a player that can only do 40 points or something.

It would be on a player that can do 80 points per year and has the potential for more. As Hemsky got those numbers on a team that didn't have the talent we have now. I don't see any other player in the Oilers lineup this year making that, except for maybe Hall. But wouldn't it be better to keep both Hall and Hemsky that way we have 2 80 point players instead of one???

But again that all depends on his play this year. If he's healthy and has a career year I think he will be signed.

- Hemsky has NEVER had 80 points in a year

- You want to sign Hemsky for 6 mil per if he gets 80 points? What if we sign him and he gets injured again? How are we going to compete with Hemsky at 6 mil? Hall at 6 mil, Eberle at 4 mil and Paajarvi at 4 mil? That's approximately 1/3 of CURRENT salary cap invested in 4 wingers. What if Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and whoever have better seasons than 80 points in their contract year and they want 7 mil? Do you still think it was a good idea spending 6 mil on Hemsky and having younger, better players wanting more money? Someone is going to have to get moved but if Hemsky re-signs here I bet he gets a NMC to put any trade rumours to rest.

- You want to wait if Hemsky gets injured? How much value would Hemsky have if he gets hurt again? Maybe we could trade an injured Hemsky and get Vandermeer back.

In the end, I don't think there's enough room for Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and Hemsky in the long run. One of them would have to go. Which one would you choose to go out of the four? (I think you know my answer)

#86 mrtea

mrtea

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:56 AM

- You want to sign Hemsky for 6 mil per if he gets 80 points? What if we sign him and he gets injured again? How are we going to compete with Hemsky at 6 mil? Hall at 6 mil, Eberle at 4 mil and Paajarvi at 4 mil? That's approximately 1/3 of CURRENT salary cap invested in 4 wingers. What if Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and whoever have better seasons than 80 points in their contract year and they want 7 mil? Do you still think it was a good idea spending 6 mil on Hemsky and having younger, better players wanting more money? Someone is going to have to get moved but if Hemsky re-signs here I bet he gets a NMC to put any trade rumours to rest.

- You want to wait if Hemsky gets injured? How much value would Hemsky have if he gets hurt again? Maybe we could trade an injured Hemsky and get Vandermeer back.

In the end, I don't think there's enough room for Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi and Hemsky in the long run. One of them would have to go. Which one would you choose to go out of the four? (I think you know my answer)

if hemsky were to show he deserves a contract, say a career year you could sign him to a 3 year 6,4,4mil with a cap hit of 4.66 a year. you might get him less but i doubt it.
any way it is possible to keep them all. also i wish the league would do away with cap hit crap & your cap hit is what the player actually makes.

#87 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 05:54 AM

Most makes sence. But Hemmer has never had a 80 pt season is a weak argument. He has come very close, and now he has better players to pass to. Weather you admit it or not, he is a PPG player. I could see a 90 point seaon if healthy.
Hemmer83_zps2a5e5a3a.jpeg
Credit to 94oildrops

#88 Duey06

Duey06

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:46 AM

Missing 4 games or 2 games with an injury is nothing to worry about. You tell me he regularly gets big injuries like a concussion and a major one like Crosby got or Lindros and so on. Or you tell me that he always gets a groin injury for long periods of time and so on, that to me is injury prone. The things you have listed are all minor except for the shoulder. Those two are the only major injury he ever had. And they weren't both on the same shoulder, they were seperate injuries. If last year his left shoulder got injured again after he had the surgery, then I would be concerned that he wouldn't be able to stay healthy. But that is not the case.

And in 2007-2008 counts toward the 2009 season, as it's part of the same problem, only he finally got the surgery to fix it. If he would've done it before he probably wouldn't have gotten injured in 2009-2010.

Again all the other stuff is minor. The concussion he had last year I believe was a minor concussion. The groin injury actually wasn't that big a deal, the problem was that he got back to soon before it completely healed. He was out for 3 or 4 games I believe with a groin injury, came back and it got worse and this time had to stay out for a little bit longer. If he would've waited a bit more he would've comeback sooner.

Sidney Crosby: http://www.nhl.com/i....htm?id=8471675

Alexander Semin: http://www.nhl.com/i....htm?id=8470120

Pavel Datsyuk: http://www.nhl.com/i....htm?id=8467514

Henrik Zetterberg: http://www.nhl.com/i....htm?id=8468083

And I can keep on listing them. Does that mean these guys are injury prone as well? Whether they are or not, would you get rid of them? I highly doubt it. You can argue that these players are better, regardless of that, hemsky is our best player. Hall and the rest might eventually be the star of the team in the future. But they are not there yet, and until they do you can't compare them to Hemsky. So many players in the NHL had the potential to be big superstars but never made it. So until we have a suitable replacement for Hemsky or unless he doesn't want to sign here I don't see a reason as to why we would trade him.

We can't even if we wanted to nobody would take him, and your claim that he is not an injury prone player is obviously blinded. Did you not read the post you replied to he misses a lot of games weather they are minor injury's or not a missed game is a missed game and over the course of his career he is as of late not very productive when he is playing. wheather or not that will change next season only time will tell, I do agree that at one time he was our best player. But as it sits right know we have more options trading him now then we do if we try later when we can't because of injury. Your response showing edvidance of other players is not very comparible to hem at all, sid has play a lot of games with out injurys and it took a major concusion to do it.

Hall for Captain....instead of turn over king  :th_shrug:...not a bad idea.

#89 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:12 PM

if hemsky were to show he deserves a contract, say a career year you could sign him to a 3 year 6,4,4mil with a cap hit of 4.66 a year. you might get him less but i doubt it.
any way it is possible to keep them all. also i wish the league would do away with cap hit crap & your cap hit is what the player actually makes.

Lets say Hemsky does have a career year next season, IMO the best course of action would be to sign him to a higher cap hit 1 year contract like 6 million (provided the salary cap/structure is the same in the new CBA). That way we can give him another trial. If Hemsky plays 150 games or more these next two seasons while putting up good numbers, then that's good enough for me to sign him long term.

There is a problem with that scenario though. We'd be gambling that Hemsky is going to be more stable injury wise. If he gets hurt, he loses all value. Would you still believe the Oilers should re-sign him even if he misses significant time next season? I think this is the main reason why I'm a proponent of trading Hemsky. I don't want to take the gamble because we don't have too. We have players on the team and in the system that should eventually be able to produce top line minutes (Eberle) and top 6 minutes (Omark, Paajarvi, Hartikainen). If we were shallow on the wings it would be a different story but why gamble on Hemsky staying healthy when we don't really need him long term?

Most makes sence. But Hemmer has never had a 80 pt season is a weak argument. He has come very close, and now he has better players to pass to. Weather you admit it or not, he is a PPG player. I could see a 90 point seaon if healthy.

Yes, Hemsky is close to a ppg player. I never denied that but he has never reached 80 points. If Hemsky reaches 80 something points that would be a considerable improvement. The only way I see Hemsky reaching 90 points or more is if he plays with a centre/winger for pretty much the whole year who's tearing it up but would it because of Hemsky or because of the centre/winger that Hemsky gets 90+ points?

#90 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:31 PM

We can't even if we wanted to nobody would take him, and your claim that he is not an injury prone player is obviously blinded. Did you not read the post you replied to he misses a lot of games weather they are minor injury's or not a missed game is a missed game and over the course of his career he is as of late not very productive when he is playing. wheather or not that will change next season only time will tell, I do agree that at one time he was our best player. But as it sits right know we have more options trading him now then we do if we try later when we can't because of injury. Your response showing edvidance of other players is not very comparible to hem at all, sid has play a lot of games with out injurys and it took a major concusion to do it.

That is purely false. He is nearly PPG when playing.

And conner, i think that if he got a 90 pt. season it could be with hall. He doesnt need a HHOF winger, he needs someone with finish. Hall can be his stamkos i think.
If you want proof of how he makes those around him better, look at the year penner tore it up; At the start of the year he was nearly olympic caliber, after hemsky went out he fell of the map completly.
Credit to 94oildrops

#91 mrtea

mrtea

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:38 PM

Lets say Hemsky does have a career year next season, IMO the best course of action would be to sign him to a higher cap hit 1 year contract like 6 million (provided the salary cap/structure is the same in the new CBA). That way we can give him another trial. If Hemsky plays 150 games or more these next two seasons while putting up good numbers, then that's good enough for me to sign him long term.

There is a problem with that scenario though. We'd be gambling that Hemsky is going to be more stable injury wise. If he gets hurt, he loses all value. Would you still believe the Oilers should re-sign him even if he misses significant time next season? I think this is the main reason why I'm a proponent of trading Hemsky. I don't want to take the gamble because we don't have too. We have players on the team and in the system that should eventually be able to produce top line minutes (Eberle) and top 6 minutes (Omark, Paajarvi, Hartikainen). If we were shallow on the wings it would be a different story but why gamble on Hemsky staying healthy when we don't really need him long term?

Yes, Hemsky is close to a ppg player. I never denied that but he has never reached 80 points. If Hemsky reaches 80 something points that would be a considerable improvement. The only way I see Hemsky reaching 90 points or more is if he plays with a centre/winger for pretty much the whole year who's tearing it up but would it because of Hemsky or because of the centre/winger that Hemsky gets 90+ points?

for sure conner it is a gamble, but honestly this is true for most players. look at selanne, i thought his career was done years ago. his numbers were not very good, he was hurt a lot & i thought any one to sign him was foolish. he had surgery to repair i think it was his foot, i can't remember, but that was the problem all along. look at how he did, now there are no guarantees but i would hate to see a healthy hemsky light it up for a rival.

hemsky came to that prospect camp & said all the right things & he says he will be healthy. i would like to take him at his word. we have never had hemsky healthy, experienced & with this much talent to play with before. i would like to give him to christmas before re-evaluating the situation. this actually goes for a lot of our bubble players. we have a lot of rookies that could be replacements, but i would rather be sure we are letting the right ones go.

i think the team will make big improvements & might make the play offs, but more important we have enough depth to evaluate what we have properly. i think it is time for no more excuses, put up or shut up. gagner for example has to show enough improvement to stay on the team. cogs too if he stays at all.

#92 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 12:48 PM

for sure conner it is a gamble, but honestly this is true for most players. look at selanne, i thought his career was done years ago. his numbers were not very good, he was hurt a lot & i thought any one to sign him was foolish. he had surgery to repair i think it was his foot, i can't remember, but that was the problem all along. look at how he did, now there are no guarantees but i would hate to see a healthy hemsky light it up for a rival.

hemsky came to that prospect camp & said all the right things & he says he will be healthy. i would like to take him at his word. we have never had hemsky healthy, experienced & with this much talent to play with before. i would like to give him to christmas before re-evaluating the situation. this actually goes for a lot of our bubble players. we have a lot of rookies that could be replacements, but i would rather be sure we are letting the right ones go.

i think the team will make big improvements & might make the play offs, but more important we have enough depth to evaluate what we have properly. i think it is time for no more excuses, put up or shut up. gagner for example has to show enough improvement to stay on the team. cogs too if he stays at all.

This
Credit to 94oildrops

#93 Cujo3000

Cujo3000

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:46 PM

So I guess you didn't read mine then? Did you check the players I linked? They all had similar careers or close to it to Hemsky (talking about games played). Would you consider them injury prone players? And if you do, would you trade them?

You might say that they are not the same as Hemsky because they are better. Ok then let's check and see when they had their explosive year that ended up bringing them to Elite status. If you check them all except for Crosby, and if you look at the Sedin twins as well and so on. You will notice they all had their break out year around 27 or 28 years old. How old is Hemsky again?

Someone mentioned above that he's not worth it because he's older and we have younger players. I mean I don't get where people get this idea that he's old. He's only 27 years old for christ sake. It's not like we are trying to keep a 38 year old player. He still got atleast 5 to 7 years left in him of being able to produce high amounts of points. Of course that is if he doesn't get injured during that time.

Also as for Paajarvi, Hall, and Eberle. Only Hall is in the same class as Hemsky and maybe Eberle. Paajarvi is good but not in the same class, so I don't thing Paajarvi would take Hemsky spot, nvm that Paajarvi is a LW and Hemsky is a RW so that will never happen. As for Omark he has great potential, but a Hemsky replacement he's not. Again not a single player on this team will be able to touch Hemsky point total next season (if he plays a full season or close to it) except for Hall and Eberle might be close. Think about how Hemsky had 42 points in 47 games and is tied for second on the team, where the other 4 players equal to him or above played more games then he did (except Horcoff I believe). Also think about how Hemsky was starting to get hot before he hurt his shoulder and was out for the rest of the season, just like Hall was.

As for the comment that Hemsky hasn't shown any chemistry with our players is a lie. He had chemistry with Penner till he got traded and towards the end of Hemsky season and Hall, they started to show some chemistry as well. Who you think setup those passes on Hall's hat trick? And then let's not forget the chemistry that Hemsky and Smyth have. So I don't see any issue with Hemsky playing in the lineup.

Also a proper rebuild isn't done by destroying the team completely, or else you get a rebuild like the Islanders and Florida, which means it's a never ending rebuild. Every year you will be a mediocre team, because you don't have any Veterans teaching the kids how it's done. All the good teams that have done a proper rebuild have done it with Veterans and rookies together. Having a good mix of both. Not by going one sided either way. Go check Chicago, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay, Washington and so on. They all had a good mix of Veterans to help the young guys improve.

Tambellini said it himself, you can have all the coaching and mentorship coming from the Coaching staff and training staff and so on. But that only applies to a small % of the players developement. What really helps a rookie player is the mentorship that happens in that locker room and on the ice. And that is why we have players like Hemsky, Horcoff, Smyth, Whitney and so on. Horcoff might not be skillfull, but he does give his 100% on the ice each time, and he knows how to play defense. He's not a no 1 line center but he is one of the better checking line centers out there. Though his contract hurts the team, it still doesn't change the fact that he brings something to the team that we don't have eslewhere (except for now with Belanger, but he's new while Horcoff has been here much longer). Same for Hemsky and now same for Ryan Smyth. They bring something to the team that cannot be thought by coaching staff or anyone else.

We've made too many compromises already; too many retreats. They invade our space and we fall back. They assimilate entire worlds and we fall back. Not again. The line must be drawn here! This far, no further! And *I* will make them pay for what they've done.

#94 Cujo3000

Cujo3000

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:54 PM

Forgot to add one more thing. Go check the link I gave with Crosby and you will see they both played almost the same amount of games. And seeing as how you replied that Crosby played more, that shows me you didn't bother to check. He has lost many games due to injury before he even had his big concussion last year.

Go check the others I showed and you will see the exact same thing. And like I said I can name even more players. Unfortunately in todays NHL, elite players rarely get to play a complete season. Because they are the target of goon players like Eager, Torres, Regher and so on. You heard what Eager said and Hordichuk? That they will be targeting the other teams star player if they hurt one of ours. You can't expect a player who is built for finesse to be able to withstand that much punishement all year long and not have some kind of injury.

#95 Cujo3000

Cujo3000

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:00 PM

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8469466

check 2005-2006, 77 points in 81 games. I call that pretty close to an 80 point season don't you? 2 years later 71 points in 74 games you would think he could've reached 80 points or close to it if he played those 8 games he missed. And again think about that Hemsky was young during that time. And like I mentioned in another post, some of the great players that everyone is gaga over only reached their potential at 27 or 28 years. Hemsky is 27 years old this year, 28 this august. You would expect this to be his career year, if he stays healthy. And I don't see why not, his biggest issue all these years were his shoulders. He got surgery and now they aren't bothering him anymore.

Edit: Oh btw this is the lineup we had that year when he reached his 77 point total.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/app (ah crap the link isn't working)Well just check the 2005-2006 season for the oilers and check the lineup. Hemsky finished with the most point on the team that year.

And he was playing on a lineup of Smyth and Horcoff, and at that point he was 22 years old. Now compare to the lineup we have now (skill wise), and you have to guess that he will be getting even more points then before.

Edited by Cujo3000, 11 July 2011 - 09:06 PM.

#96 ConnorFutureGM

ConnorFutureGM

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,920 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:28 PM

Cujo3000

Hemer83

mrtea

What should the team do with Hemsky if he gets injured for an extended period of time next season?

Edited by ConnorFutureGM, 11 July 2011 - 09:29 PM.

#97 mrtea

mrtea

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,014 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 01:16 AM

Cujo3000

Hemer83

mrtea

What should the team do with Hemsky if he gets injured for an extended period of time next season?

wait till he's healthy, so he can play. DUH, some future GM.

like i said before you are singling out hemsky to be traded in his prime, just when he is ready for a career year. this does not make sense when you yourself said all you expect back is picks or prospects. so what then if one of the picks is another hemsky type player ? wait till he matures & then trade him away also ? with all the rookies on the team you want to trade hemsky for picks, when we clearly need a veteran presence. i seriously question your potential to be a future GM.

maybe you could be toronto's GM.:P

#98 NameBrandOil

NameBrandOil

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:21 AM

wait till he's healthy, so he can play. DUH, some future GM.

like i said before you are singling out hemsky to be traded in his prime, just when he is ready for a career year. this does not make sense when you yourself said all you expect back is picks or prospects. so what then if one of the picks is another hemsky type player ? wait till he matures & then trade him away also ? with all the rookies on the team you want to trade hemsky for picks, when we clearly need a veteran presence. i seriously question your potential to be a future GM.

maybe you could be toronto's GM.:P

I think he's just predicting another injury and playing it safe. Shoulder injuries are one of the toughest to fix, depending on the location of the tear. I had a shoulder injury(rotator cuff) and it hasn't been the same since. If the younger players shine next year would you trade Hemsky for someone of equal or greater value? Maybe that #1 Dman we need? Goaltender? #1 Center? Certainly there are other options to explore. This is all just a 'wait and see' game now with Hemsky's health and the developpment of the younger guys.

#99 NameBrandOil

NameBrandOil

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 718 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 02:29 AM

What?????

Hemsky is the guy who wouldn't leave the bench to congratulate Kotalik on scoring the winning shoot-out goal cuz he was pouting about not being picked! He's the guy who went to the media to complain about MacT with 10 games left in a playoff race. He cried about not being "the guy" when Gagner/Nilsson/Kotalik got it going, and then had Nilsson scratched.

He is the one Oiler who openly stated that he wanted to be the star of the show. He's the one guy singled out as the "last on the ice, first off the ice" for practices.

I don't know where you are getting these impressions, but what little evidence we fans have gotten, all points to the exact opposite being true.

Interesting.

On RNH:

He admits that he was more concerned with how he handled the puck than how No. 1 draft pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins looked.

“What number was he? If I skate (Wednesday), maybe I’ll take a picture. He can autograph it for me,” said a joking Hemsky, who was drafted 10 years ago, 13th overall.

I'm not sure how to read into that either.

#100 hemer83

hemer83

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,035 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 05:16 AM

@ Conner:
If he were injured for a extended time next year, I would sign a 1 year deal and trade him at the next deadline or the draft. That would keep his value up.
Credit to 94oildrops