SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
OILERS MESSAGE BOARD

Photo
- - - - -

Run and Gun Hockey vs The Mouse Trap

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic

#1 JKanata

JKanata

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 05:34 PM

:th_hockey20player:
You often hear the Media say: “Run and Gun open ice hockey is fun to watch and entertaining for the fans but “COACHES” don’t like to see none of that stuff!” … WHY? …Because coaches don’t like to see the players having some fun? or they don’t like to see the fans being entertained? Don’t the fans count? After all, they pay and spend the money! Don’t they have a right to be entertained too?….IMO I would rather see an exciting face-paced 9-8 win than a boring “dump it in - dump it out” 2-1 win any day!.... End of Rant! B)
"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." - GK Chesterton

#2 OilSlick09

OilSlick09

3rd Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 236 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 06:22 PM

You often hear the Media say: “Run and Gun open ice hockey is fun to watch and entertaining for the fans but “COACHES” don’t like to see none of that stuff!” … WHY? …Because coaches don’t like to see the players having some fun? or they don’t like to see the fans being entertained? Don’t the fans count? After all, they pay and spend the money! Don’t they have a right to be entertained too?….IMO I would rather see an exciting face-paced 9-8 win than a boring “dump it in - dump it out” 2-1 win any day!.... End of Rant! B)

I would like more excitement too but what can be done? Sports is still a business and to be successful winning is important. It's not that coaches don't like seeing fans and players having a good time, instead it's because losing a bunch of run n gun games will cost him his job and probably the team a playoff spot. Coaches seem to play to not lose rather than to win.

Like I asked, what can be done? Is it possible to ban certain plays like the trap? Maybe just make it all 4 on 4 and 3on3 for OT? Or give insentive to win like the 3 point system? Keep in mind too goalies and defencmen are much better than they were 20 years ago.

#3 bronco73

bronco73

Resident Mud Slinger

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,694 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:31 PM

Maybe the coaches see something in that style of hockey that normal fans can't.

Posted Image

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

#4 Fogolin2

Fogolin2

Alternate Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:41 PM

Maybe the coaches see something in that style of hockey that normal fans can't.

NO CHANCE!

Who you calling a "normal fan"?!

Moma's a doctor of coachology, and J-Kan is a Jedi of Invisible Intangibles

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

#5 oilmoose

oilmoose

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,346 posts

Posted 18 February 2012 - 10:53 PM

NO CHANCE!

Who you calling a "normal fan"?!

Moma's a doctor of coachology, and J-Kan is a Jedi of Invisible Intangibles

Haha! That's pretty funny.

If I had to go with one or the other - run and gun. Recall the devils boring @ss trap? I'm be curious how many "unrelated" suicides took place during that era of hockey.
Posted Image

#6 BloodbOILERS

BloodbOILERS

3rd Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 February 2012 - 05:51 AM

You can dictate defense, you can't dictate offense. So coaches play the 2-1-2, 1-2-2, or 1-3-1 because you can control the offense of the other team eliminating their chances. Unfortunately it also sets the tempo of the game. So if you are playing a "run and gun" style of play you will have more chances but also be bleeding chances against. But all that matters is you score more goals then your opponent be that 2-1, or 9-8. So as a coach you play the trap eliminating your opponents chances forcing them to open up their play thus increasing your chances and dictating the whole game.