SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
OILERS MESSAGE BOARD

Photo
- - - - -

hf boards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
32 replies to this topic

#1 OilerOlli

OilerOlli

2nd Line Winger

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:14 AM

Hi,

I was a nearly 10 years member of the hf Boards. Wanted to ask if some guys from there are here (perhaps with a different nick).
If that i sallowed to ask here. ;)

#2 JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:07 AM

I joined them in April so that I could comment on their Oil Kings playoff thread, which was much more active than the one here. However, if I'm posting anything, it'll likely be on the OMB. I find that the HF boards aren't monitored as well as the ones here; this causes a ton of unnecessary clutter - such as foul language (which is only minimally censored), useless pages of arguments between posters, and incredulously annoying ads - which I would rather not sift through.

Not to say that the OMB is perfect (if it was, I wouldn't be here), but I definitely think the quality control here is far better.

Edited by JordanGalhanth, 08 June 2012 - 06:08 AM.

"What are we battling for the in Battle of Alberta? The right to make accusations of tanking..."

#3 OilerOlli

OilerOlli

2nd Line Winger

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

I joined them in April so that I could comment on their Oil Kings playoff thread, which was much more active than the one here. However, if I'm posting anything, it'll likely be on the OMB. I find that the HF boards aren't monitored as well as the ones here; this causes a ton of unnecessary clutter - such as foul language (which is only minimally censored), useless pages of arguments between posters, and incredulously annoying ads - which I would rather not sift through.

Not to say that the OMB is perfect (if it was, I wouldn't be here), but I definitely think the quality control here is far better.

The problem is, imo, that the mods not really moderate. They only ban after there were weeks or month's of spam and insults in th epost. And mostly they ban the wrong ones.
But there are many users. Here are way to less. You can't really discuss with a handfull users.
Isn't there another Oilers Forum with more users?

#4 M2C

M2C

Fun Fun Fun on the Autobahn..

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,119 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 11:41 AM

The problem is, imo, that the mods not really moderate. They only ban after there were weeks or month's of spam and insults in th epost. And mostly they ban the wrong ones.
But there are many users. Here are way to less. You can't really discuss with a handfull users.
Isn't there another Oilers Forum with more users?

HF who????
LOL

For starters, welcome! :)

The OMB gets rather slow at this time of year... so you are seeing very few posters stop by. Check back in October and you will see a drastic increase in the numbers. There are some VERY good members here that know their stuff.

The Oilers want the OMB to be kept clean and family oriented, and we do our best to keep it that way. Foul language and expletives are not tolerated, nor are personal attacks and member bashing. As well, we attempt to keep spamming and trolling to a minimum in order to keep the board as clutter free and safe as possible.

Much better than HF I would say :)

#5 JKanata

JKanata

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 12:56 PM

HF who????
LOL

For starters, welcome! :)

The OMB gets rather slow at this time of year... so you are seeing very few posters stop by. Check back in October and you will see a drastic increase in the numbers. There are some VERY good members here that know their stuff.

The Oilers want the OMB to be kept clean and family oriented, and we do our best to keep it that way. Foul language and expletives are not tolerated, nor are personal attacks and member bashing. As well, we attempt to keep spamming and trolling to a minimum in order to keep the board as clutter free and safe as possible.

Much better than HF I would say :)

:th_dance: "MY TWO CENTS!!" :th_shock: Is that you? ....I thought I heard you talking!

I was just thinking about you yesterday! Thought about posting a message asking if anyone had seen you!.....Anyway, haven't seen you in awhile!...Maybe you've had the grave yard shift the last little while, I dunno!

Anyway, nice to see you....or rather... nice to see you typing! :D

Copied this from the "General Hockey" board....

Edited by JKanata, 08 June 2012 - 06:41 PM.

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." - GK Chesterton

#6 MessierII

MessierII

All Star

• Members
  • 10,316 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 01:26 PM

I'm on there with the exact same name although I rarely post in the Oiler board there. I mostly use this board to talk Oiler talk and use HF as an opportunity to interact with fans of other teams.

#7 OilerOlli

OilerOlli

2nd Line Winger

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 532 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 02:03 PM

I'm on there with the exact same name although I rarely post in the Oiler board there. I mostly use this board to talk Oiler talk and use HF as an opportunity to interact with fans of other teams.

Yeah, the idea of collecting all fans from all teams in one forum is very good.
That is missing in a forum like this of course.

#8 JKanata

JKanata

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:02 PM

:th_shrug: What is "HF"? .....Am I behind times or what? Where is this website you speak of?.... Wouldn't mind checking it out! :th_scared:

Edited by JKanata, 08 June 2012 - 03:03 PM.

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." - GK Chesterton

#9 UnrefinedCrude

UnrefinedCrude

Frenemy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 03:37 PM

I've been on HF for a while but don't post an awful lot. I go there mostly to check out and post in the photoshop threads.

Everything else is better here.

UCStars2_zps0c657747.png

#10 JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:05 PM

Yeah, the idea of collecting all fans from all teams in one forum is very good.
That is missing in a forum like this of course.

Actually, it IS possible to interact with fans from other teams, since your profile is good for all of the team forums on the nhl.com network. For instance, we have a couple of Flames and Nucks trolls - I mean, fans - who are frequent posters here. I've also made a post on the Sens forum.

"What are we battling for the in Battle of Alberta? The right to make accusations of tanking..."

#11 Rekkin74

Rekkin74

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:12 PM

I've been reading HF for a few years now, usually some pretty good reads there, some pretty lulsy ones too, especially in the trade rumors and free agent talk section. No HF account though, I rarely post here as it is, as a matter of fact, this may be my first post on the Oilers Discussion board in over a year.

Edited by Rekkin74, 08 June 2012 - 04:29 PM.

mygoalistodenyyoursv2_zpsf0ff35d2.png

#12 JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:19 PM

:th_shrug: What is "HF"? .....Am I behind times or what? Where is this website you speak of?.... Wouldn't mind checking it out! :th_scared:

I believe it stands for Hockey Forum boards, or something like that. It's a separately-operated forum of its own (i.e. not with the nhl.com network like the OMB), with thousands of users, discussion areas, and threads from across the NHL and other NA leagues.

I admit that it definitely beats the OMB in terms of coverage and the variety of topics there. For example, we have just a single stagnant thread for the Oil Kings, while they have a ton of active ones that keep track of player development, team progress, playoff GDTS, etc. Oh, and it also beats the OMB in terms of emoticons. ;)

However, as I said earlier in this thread, the moderating/filtering at HF is nowhere near as thorough as it is on the OMB. This means that HF usually gets cluttered with way too much bickering, fighting, and offensive material. So I am VERY happy to be one of the many rational and level-headed fans on the Oilers Message Board. :P

Edited by JordanGalhanth, 08 June 2012 - 04:20 PM.

#13 Rekkin74

Rekkin74

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:24 PM

I believe it stands for Hockey Forum boards...

Hockey's Future Boards. Link.

mygoalistodenyyoursv2_zpsf0ff35d2.png

#14 JKanata

JKanata

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

I believe it stands for Hockey Forum boards, or something like that. It's a separately-operated forum of its own (i.e. not with the nhl.com network like the OMB), with thousands of users, discussion areas, and threads from across the NHL and other NA leagues.

I admit that it definitely beats the OMB in terms of coverage and the variety of topics there. For example, we have just a single stagnant thread for the Oil Kings, while they have a ton of active ones that keep track of player development, team progress, playoff GDTS, etc. Oh, and it also beats the OMB in terms of emoticons. ;)

However, as I said earlier in this thread, the moderating/filtering at HF is nowhere near as thorough as it is on the OMB. This means that HF usually gets cluttered with way too much bickering, fighting, and offensive material. So I am VERY happy to be one of the many rational and level-headed fans on the Oilers Message Board. :P

:o EMOTICONS!!!! :lol: YOU MEAN THERE'S MORE EMOTICONS THERE??.... Thats sounds like my kinda place!

B) I think I'll go take a walk over there. Maybe get into a few scraps. Wouldn't mind a tussle at the moment! :th_rolf:

#15 Guest_Tilt441_*

Guest_Tilt441_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 June 2012 - 04:55 PM

I think I popped onto HF once or twice, but it wasn't my cup 'o' tea. I can sit and enjoy a good game of hockey on TV no matter who's playing, and regardless of league (obviously enjoy the Oilers the most). But I have next to zero interest in discussing anything other than the Oilers on the internet. I could really care less about other teams and their developments.

So it's the OMB for me.

#16 UnrefinedCrude

UnrefinedCrude

Frenemy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:00 PM

I think I popped onto HF once or twice, but it wasn't my cup 'o' tea. I can sit and enjoy a good game of hockey on TV no matter who's playing, and regardless of league (obviously enjoy the Oilers the most). But I have next to zero interest in discussing anything other than the Oilers on the internet. I could really care less about other teams and their developments.

So it's the OMB for me.

work through the playoff photoshop thread, it's the reason I go there.

UCStars2_zps0c657747.png

#17 MessierII

MessierII

All Star

• Members
  • 10,316 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 05:08 PM

Actually, it IS possible to interact with fans from other teams, since your profile is good for all of the team forums on the nhl.com network. For instance, we have a couple of Flames and Nucks trolls - I mean, fans - who are frequent posters here. I've also made a post on the Sens forum.

It's true but honestly outside of this one most other boards are ghost towns. HF has a lot of posters from every single fan base.

#18 JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 06:28 PM

So it's the OMB for me.

HI-5! We agree on something! :th_hockey20player:

Oh, and I don't want Brent Sutter either. ;)

:o EMOTICONS!!!! :lol: YOU MEAN THERE'S MORE EMOTICONS THERE??.... Thats sounds like my kinda place!

B) I think I'll go take a walk over there. Maybe get into a few scraps. Wouldn't mind a tussle at the moment! :th_rolf:

Yup. That's why I posted an emoticons thread in the comments and suggestions portion of the OMB.

ALSO...HF Boards is not to be confused with HF Broads. It's a parody of HF Boards which is intended to be extra harsh and derogatory.

#19 chucker-1

chucker-1

All Star

• Members
  • 13,202 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 07:06 PM

Heard of it....

sig5.jpg

#20 dlwhockey

dlwhockey

3rd Line Agitator

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 08 June 2012 - 09:30 PM

I go there quite often to search info. but only post my comment there once before. I like using it as quite a few NHL teams do have a fan forum so HF is widely used by their fans to discuss about games, players and drafts. Hockey Future also allows fans from different teams to discuss a common topic. They also keep older posts so you can go back to search information a couple years back.

I also use Twitter and Facebook to search for news about players or teams. Hockey Future also provide some interesting information about the depth of each NHL teams and how their prospects are rated in their organization.

Besides the Oilers, the Islanders is my other favorite team and they do not have a fan forum so the only way I can communicate with other Isles fan is by using the HF board,Facebook and use their live blog (similar to the Chat on this forum).

However I do come here as the 1st stop for any interesting stories/development about the Oilers. This is also the only NHL board I post regularly.

#21 Guest_Tilt441_*

Guest_Tilt441_*
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

HI-5! We agree on something! :th_hockey20player:

Oh, and I don't want Brent Sutter either. ;)

Don't kid yourself Jordan. We agree on more things than you realize. But not everything. This would be a terribly boring message board if everyone agreed on everything.

#22 JordanGalhanth

JordanGalhanth

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,942 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 09:49 AM

Don't kid yourself Jordan. We agree on more things than you realize. But not everything. This would be a terribly boring message board if everyone agreed on everything.

Oh I know. Imagine if we all wanted Yakupov but ended up with someone else instead...

This place would become a war zone. :th_scared:

#23 oillio

oillio

Palindrome

• Members
  • 10,642 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 01:47 PM

I've been on HF for a while but don't post an awful lot. I go there mostly to check out and post in the photoshop threads.

Everything else is better here.

you have like 1000 posts there lol
x84fl.jpg

#24 UnrefinedCrude

UnrefinedCrude

Frenemy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,295 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:07 PM

you have like 1000 posts there lol

really? hmm... i know a lot are in the various photoshop threads. didn't realize I had that many though lol

UCStars2_zps0c657747.png

#25 daffy_duck

daffy_duck

Captain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,441 posts

Posted 09 June 2012 - 04:23 PM

I read there sometimes because they tend to get info very fast and you get to see what other fans are saying. I never felt like I should sign up and start posting there though. As was said, this place is better at dedicated Oiler talk, and I don't have much desire to bicker with other userbases about trade value. If anything we're over represented at HF and a lot of people there are starting to hate Oiler fans. It's kind of funny actually.

One great thing at HF is the articles and of course their HF prospect analysis and organizational rankings.