SIGN IN or REGISTER
USERNAME or EMAIL
PASSWORD

FORGOT YOUR USERNAME OR PASSWORD?
OILERS MESSAGE BOARD

Photo
- - - - -

April 2014; JUDGEMENT DAY

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic

#1 94oildrops

94oildrops

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 10 April 2013 - 11:14 PM

Another night, another loss. Let me be clear on this; this is NOT a rant and rave thread. I'll also say that the Oilers overall had a reasonably good year. They won't finish 30th or even in the bottom 5. This is a sign of improvement.

However, this will be the 7th straight year the Oilers have missed the playoffs. I believe that there can be 0 excuses for making that number 8. Next year the team needs more shots, more goals better defence, more grit, and fewer turnovers.

Next season may indicate wether this rebuild will work or not. We make the playoffs, this will be a sign that it's working and everyone will be happy.If we don't, there is a serious problem.

It will be up to Tambi and crew to make some moves/signings this off-season to prepare for "judgement day" If he sits back and does nothing, the future we have may turn out to be nothing more then a spectacular failure.

So what do you all think? Is next April crunch time or just another year that the team can work with to continue the rebuild process? Share your thoughts! Don't be shy and don't worry, I won't bash you based on your opinion. ;)

Welcome to Oil Country, home of the most unhappy fans in all of sports. 

#2 Posthugger

Posthugger

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,382 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 12:58 AM

I think we have the talent and we have to address our short comings... size,heart,grit.... a left d with mobility would be nice and a large center.

I think Hemmer  needs to bring us something useful .... we may have to include a pick or prospect but it could give us a gritty big body that could play in the top six. We need some bottom six forwards as well.  We have some quality picks coming and there are teams who are selling assets for picks to rebuild and get younger.... this may be a opportunity to exercise a trade to get a immediate asset that can play now.

we don't know what free agency will offer?  there has to be one reasonable free agent in the pile willing to come here for a reasonable contract.

We will probably sign khabi for another year unless something magical becomes available. I think the problem is not goaltending by the way.

The tough test will be is this management going to make tough decisions and get rid of the players who do not contribute. Smyth,belanger,whitney...... Peckham,potter,Hordi and eager have no value now...

Why are we playing smyth,belanger or Whitney...... I think there is ample players who may not be NHL ready on the farm but are more capable then the effort given by these so called veterans.

we have improved and the hard part is done as the talent is here we are just missing the players from the trenches.... if they can't find it then i'm really worried because by the time they draft it our core will want out or be old.

There should be no excuse not to make the playoffs next year.... otherwise this entire management and coaching should be replaced.

#3 LovedaOil

LovedaOil

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 638 posts

Posted 11 April 2013 - 03:58 AM

Next year or the year after is my true expecting playoffs, as long as they show a steady improvement I'm happy.  Next year would probably be a good year for playoffs for the experience they can get but I don't expect it, now if they completely crap the bed next year and finish in the bottom five.. I will be very disappointed.

#4 M2C

M2C

Fun Fun Fun on the Autobahn..

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,060 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:12 AM

There is always hope that "next year" is the year... but how can anyone place a deadline to when the rebuild will be "over" so to speak?

Considering the short season with virtually NO practice time, a new and seemingly one-dimensional system thrown at the young team, roster holes to fill, etc...... the team has shown some growth. Playoffs would have been a bonus and highly unexpected, but they are knocking at the door. It's slowly moving in the right direction. This is a good thing, no?

Tambi has a ton of work to do in the offseason, period. Where this team finishes in 2014 and beyond will be the result of that effort IMO.

#5 billpayor

billpayor

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,441 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 10:25 AM

What a relief ............ it's all up to Tambie . ^^^

#6 94oildrops

94oildrops

1st Line Center

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,436 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:20 PM

What a relief ............ it's all up to Tambie . ^^^

:lol:  If they choose to do nothing this summer they should probably be fired.

Welcome to Oil Country, home of the most unhappy fans in all of sports. 

#7 rboomercat90

rboomercat90

Starting Goaltender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,238 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 12:47 PM

I think we have the talent and we have to address our short comings... size,heart,grit.... a left d with mobility would be nice and a large center.

I think Hemmer  needs to bring us something useful .... we may have to include a pick or prospect but it could give us a gritty big body that could play in the top six. We need some bottom six forwards as well.  We have some quality picks coming and there are teams who are selling assets for picks to rebuild and get younger.... this may be a opportunity to exercise a trade to get a immediate asset that can play now.

we don't know what free agency will offer?  there has to be one reasonable free agent in the pile willing to come here for a reasonable contract.

We will probably sign khabi for another year unless something magical becomes available. I think the problem is not goaltending by the way.

The tough test will be is this management going to make tough decisions and get rid of the players who do not contribute. Smyth,belanger,whitney...... Peckham,potter,Hordi and eager have no value now...

Why are we playing smyth,belanger or Whitney...... I think there is ample players who may not be NHL ready on the farm but are more capable then the effort given by these so called veterans.

we have improved and the hard part is done as the talent is here we are just missing the players from the trenches.... if they can't find it then i'm really worried because by the time they draft it our core will want out or be old.

There should be no excuse not to make the playoffs next year.... otherwise this entire management and coaching should be replaced.

Why in the world would we resign khabibulin? This guy has proven without a shadow of a doubt that he is finished. He can't play two consecutive games without blowing up. If oilers management can't find a better replacement for him any where in the world than none of them have any business making a living in hockey. It is bad enough to have to suffer through four years of a bad contract but to then resign the same player to another one is pure insanity. This team needs to learn how to part ways with all of its dead weight when it finally has the opportunity to do so instead of opting for more of the same (hemsky,Smyth).

#8 toolttime

toolttime

2nd Line Winger

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 673 posts

Posted 12 April 2013 - 02:07 PM

Next year or the year after is my true expecting playoffs, as long as they show a steady improvement I'm happy.  Next year would probably be a good year for playoffs for the experience they can get but I don't expect it, now if they completely crap the bed next year and finish in the bottom five.. I will be very disappointed.

Or the next or the next or the next or the next years to come