The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
jetque

How can we quickly become a better team ?

I love that Eichel said that.  Who is he to say that?  Someone who hasn't signed a thing that's who.  The kid is American swagger in the flesh, he's going to be great for the league, media wise.  The fact that McDavid has been an archetypal gentleman is going to make their rivalry that much more entertaining.

It's fine to have some confidence and it's fine to talk big when you show it on the ice in the NHL level. But he has yet to show anything, and he's talking like if he's some big shot. 

It would've been somewhat fine if not for his other comment about how he thinks he's the best, though apparently he says it's not how he meant it. I don't know how you can mean it any other way, if you think you're the best there is only one way to interpret that. And most of the big mouth players always end up getting a lesson in the NHL, someone will be putting him in his place, not saying injure him, but they will be gunning for him.

A lot of players like tradition and anyone who tries to rock the boat, gets a life lesson when he steps on the ice from someone in the league. But oh well, anyways it's not our problem thankfully.

Agreed lol

But man I hate that they keep screwing with rules in this league

Lol...The league doesn't even know what it wants anymore. Tell Bettman just to keep his paws off the rules....

I love that Eichel said that. Who is he to say that? Someone who hasn't signed a thing that's who. The kid is American swagger in the flesh, he's going to be great for the league, media wise. The fact that McDavid has been an archetypal gentleman is going to make their rivalry that much more entertaining.

It's fine to have some confidence and it's fine to talk big when you show it on the ice in the NHL level. But he has yet to show anything, and he's talking like if he's some big shot.

It would've been somewhat fine if not for his other comment about how he thinks he's the best, though apparently he says it's not how he meant it. I don't know how you can mean it any other way, if you think you're the best there is only one way to interpret that. And most of the big mouth players always end up getting a lesson in the NHL, someone will be putting him in his place, not saying injure him, but they will be gunning for him.

A lot of players like tradition and anyone who tries to rock the boat, gets a life lesson when he steps on the ice from someone in the league. But oh well, anyways it's not our problem thankfully.

I missed it...what else did he say? Mr swagger...

He was telling GM's in interviews that he believes he will be the best in the draft.  Which is exactly what he should be saying, he has no reason to concede anything.

I love that Eichel said that. Who is he to say that? Someone who hasn't signed a thing that's who. The kid is American swagger in the flesh, he's going to be great for the league, media wise. The fact that McDavid has been an archetypal gentleman is going to make their rivalry that much more entertaining.

Actually, all he said was he thought he was the best player in the draft. I like that, I like it a lot. Don't forget, Murray all but cried when he lost the lottery, remember. All it's been is McDavid this and McDavid that. I've said, but more importantly, people that know a lot more than me about hockey have been saying it to, it's not like Eichel is a Yakupov or even an RNH (no offense to either one of them). Most say that any draft year since Crosby, Eichel would have been the #1 pick. It's only this year he has the unfortunate luck to be up against McDavid. He's just saying he thinks he's as good and why not? He's a different type of player and he is good. He's great. If we drafted 2nd and got him, he'd be the #1 center here (easily) by next season. I don't think he's as good as McDavid, but if I were drafting him, I'd want Eichel to have that attitude.

3 points - regulation win

2 points - 3 on 3 overtime win

1 point - shootout win

0 points - loss

With that the teams will continue to fight tooth and nail for the best win possible right to the last second.

Commonsensical.....

I know he's a Mod but what's so difficult to think rationally like Broncs??..

Eichel is right in what he says but not for the reason anyone here is thinking.

If he is not playing in the NHL he should be Finishing his schooling.Thats a smart kid!!!

Edited by Yuke

Eichel is right in what he says but not for the reason anyone here is thinking.

If he is not playing in the NHL he should be Finishing his schooling.Thats a smart kid!!!

On one hand he may be smart because he could finish his education, but on the other hand he's not that smart because he's saying it and opening himself up to incorrect perceptions and conclusions. I think he has a lot to learn about dealing with the media.

That goes without saying, he's an 18 year old, and as a NCAA player is not permitted to have an agent.  I'm assuming that a player's agent is a huge benefit with regards to dealing with the media.

You're getting an extremely talented 18 year-old, unfiltered.  He's not doing too bad in the media, considering.

Actually, all he said was he thought he was the best player in the draft. I like that, I like it a lot. Don't forget, Murray all but cried when he lost the lottery, remember. All it's been is McDavid this and McDavid that. I've said, but more importantly, people that know a lot more than me about hockey have been saying it to, it's not like Eichel is a Yakupov or even an RNH (no offense to either one of them). Most say that any draft year since Crosby, Eichel would have been the #1 pick. It's only this year he has the unfortunate luck to be up against McDavid. He's just saying he thinks he's as good and why not? He's a different type of player and he is good. He's great. If we drafted 2nd and got him, he'd be the #1 center here (easily) by next season. I don't think he's as good as McDavid, but if I were drafting him, I'd want Eichel to have that attitude.

I'm calling BS on that. Sorry

That goes without saying, he's an 18 year old, and as a NCAA player is not permitted to have an agent.  I'm assuming that a player's agent is a huge benefit with regards to dealing with the media.

You're getting an extremely talented 18 year-old, unfiltered.  He's not doing too bad in the media, considering.

Unlike the kids that have an agent before they are drafted to the CHL & are trained to speak words to the media while saying nothing.

Funny but most of the entertaining interviews are from kids that went the college route so didn't learn the vanilla mainstream non-answers.

Exceptions are a guy like Chris Pronger who's stare at a reporter was like saying "Were you actually stupid enough to ask that?" .

Hamilton to Flames for 2015 first round and 2 second round picks.

Quick Offer sheet him :)

Edited by GiveBackTheGame

Don't know if anybody knows, but when a player gets traded, can we still offer an offer sheet? If we can, I say offer sheet Hamilton at 7 mill, which would cost us  a 1st, 2nd and 3rd (less then what Flames gave for him). Which Flames will have to match or else they look like idiots, losing on the trade (since they get a 3rd round pick instead of a 2nd 2nd round pick). Which would mess up Calgary's cap in the future. You add Giordano also making north of 8 mill. And they are in deep crap when they have to sign Bennet and Monahan and so on. 

If I was Edmonton, come July 1st, if he isn't signed by then, offer sheet him and mess up Calgary's cap for the next few years, hehehe.

And if they don't match, better for us, we were willing to spend a first and 2 2nd round picks for him. So the cost doesn't bother us. And as for his salary we can manage it, because we don't have a second D that will be making that amount not atleast for a good 5 years or so. By that time the cap will change hopefully :)

Edited by Cujo3000

Then it gives time for ld and nurse and the other prospects time to develop

And in time we might be even able to trade ebs for something

And I agree I would offer sheet dh

Edited by bronco73
please keep multiple player moving propositions like that to the Proposal and Armchair GM section. Thanks

And I thought I was an optimist !

Trades involving players we don't value for other teams valued players?

"In time we might even be able to trade Ebs for something"? 

"Offer sheet DH"? Why bother when we apparently have Seabrook, Larsson, Cowen and Green ? 

That's funny!! You were trying to be funny, right?  :th_rolf:  :th_shrug:  :huh:  :th_facepalm2:    

"In time we might even be able to trade Ebs for something"?

"Offer sheet DH"? Why bother when we apparently have Seabrook, Larsson, Cowen and Green ?

That's funny!! You were trying to be funny, right? :th_rolf::th_shrug::huh::th_facepalm2:

It's amazing how people on the board can simultaneously believe players are terrible and yet highly valued by other teams. I'm actually impressed. How do you guys do that? If I did that the paradox would drive me insane.

"In time we might even be able to trade Ebs for something"?

That's funny!! You were trying to be funny, right? :th_rolf::th_shrug::huh::th_facepalm2:

It's amazing how people on the board can simultaneously believe players are terrible and yet highly valued by other teams. I'm actually impressed. How do you guys do that? If I did that the paradox would drive me insane.

It seems people have been playing to much EA Hockey...

I'm not so sure they have to emulate any team . They just have to figure out what works for them . There are multiple systems out there that teams  employ , what might work against one team , might not work against another . So teams need to be able to play whatever  system is required to win  . They need smart coaches that are able to identify what system to play , but what is most important is having smart players that can adjust to any system , or style , on the fly and execute them to a tee .

I'm hoping they have the coaching staff to achieve this , but after all ,  it's the players that play the game .

I'm not so sure they have to emulate any team . They just have to figure out what works for them . There are multiple systems out there that teams  employ , what might work against one team , might not work against another . So teams need to be able to play whatever  system is required to win  . They need smart coaches that are able to identify what system to play , but what is most important is having smart players that can adjust to any system , or style , on the fly and execute them to a tee .

I'm hoping they have the coaching staff to achieve this , but after all ,  it's the players that play the game .

Agree.

Part is identifying the strengths of the players the team has available & supplementing it.

The dynasty Oilers could fly & had great marksmen. Others imitated but it was a style best fitted to those specific players.

The Devils when they were winning Cups were a defenseman factory. Basically the polar opposite of Gretzky & company.

Every set of players is different & just emulating what worked for others needn't work for a totally different roster.

We've seen that the current offense on the Oilers can't emulate the '80s gunners & even the addition of McDavid won't do that especially with much of the west being skilled, in many cases just as fast & bigger/meaner.

McLennan & Chia will have to design a game plan to take advantage of the strengths while trying to overcome short comings. It'll probably mean personell changes but if they are on the same page (& I'm pretty sure they've hashed out a lot over the summer) they have a vision & will use camp to tweak it. This season will likely be spent making those adjustments with the result being meaningful hockey even after the trade deadline. The following season is when I expect the climb to result in playoffs.

Mmm....I would look to the top of the heap BEFORE I took my first steps with my head down and my hands stuck in my backpockets....2012-Kings....2013-Hawks....2014-Kings.....2015-Hawks....= TOP "O" the Heap.I digress and believe Greatness begets Greatness....Professional   Sports Championships are won by Systems or Processes and these things define evolutionary direction fluidity and distance...when 2 Teams exchange Championships over 4 consecutive  years it creates an undeniable pattern or a schism in NHL evolution catalysing out of the Western Conference.

I am on-board with most of your post but I shudder to remember the last time I head someone discussing useing  Multiple-System System because I think his name was Duelling Dallas......IMHO Championship Teams like the Hawks and Kings and others in all sports implement their own winning System and it is always a CONSISTANT presentation which creates the specific volume and pace of consistant winning Championships require.

Teams could not possibly learn all opponents Systems it is impossible.....to win consistantly you need one System which is adaptable enough to functionally and tangibly adjust itself without losing its core value drivers and integrity or continuity of Process  and be capable of defeating fluid tactical threats every night. This is to My-Eye what the Kings/Hawks play .... a Possesion/Transition syle of Hockey which engages you tacticlly then latches on and mimics you dynamiclly until it doesnt discover but it "learns" your System weaknesses by making you own System mistakes then dials into these terminal junctures in YOUR process  . 

Tom Renney-Ralph Krueger produced some results which equalled or bettered Dynasty records....and IMHO had his System been opimised and maintained the Oilers would already be multiple Cup Winners in this era. I think the Kings and Hawks mimiced those Oilers System presentations which had been around in part or parcel since 2007 begining in 2012 when the Kings with a nose-diving season and 25 games to go suddenly found Excaliber and marched to the 2012 Stanley Cup.Feb 2 2012 was the Big-Night Bowman recognised the Oilers had DESROYED his team using something "new" he had not seen before....Scotty hadnt seen it before???It was definately 'New".

I think todays Roster could  DOMINANLY OUT-GUN  the 80s Oilers and rewrite Dynasty Oilers AND NHL Record books.....look up Yakupovs shooting % when he came into he League specificly when it was over 20%....now envision ALL Oilers having this same shooting% or higher.....consistantly under Mac-Ls System whatever it is he chooses because all Renney and Krueger did was have a few things  ADDED a few details implemented  into their existing Systems....Mac-L can do this same adjusting to his own System,methinks he already has tried judging by his San Jose PP videos.

A page of blather but you put up no substance. Bill made points, you don't.

How/when did Renney/Krueger exceed anything the dynasty Oilers did? Leading their team to early summers & long golf seasons?

As to the 2nd highlited the dynasty Oilers have SC rings while todays roster has a record of being 1st to the podium.

3rd, what kind of math are you using to say Yak scored on 20% of his shots in any league?

*********************************************************************************

This isn't a video game & if you're using Corsi or whatever try to determine what the #s would be for Gretzky or Kurri.

While you're at it see what they'd be for Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe or Bobby Orr. I'd love to see those #s.

This team  must of set a record for one goal loses last year under a total crap coach.Just another year of age on a young team like this could make the difference of a winning or losing season.With the new additions,a new coach,and a new mentality this IS a way better club right now..The hay days were the hay days,there was NEVER a more exciting club to pull for in the history of the NHL.This team has a shot to be just as good or a close second.Either way they are both OIler teams..Just drop the puck already and let the naysayers and haters  weep.

Wow

Mmm....I would look to the top of the heap BEFORE I took my first steps with my head down and my hands stuck in my backpockets....2012-Kings....2013-Hawks....2014-Kings.....2015-Hawks....= TOP "O" the Heap.I digress and believe Greatness begets Greatness....Professional   Sports Championships are won by Systems or Processes and these things define evolutionary direction fluidity and distance...when 2 Teams exchange Championships over 4 consecutive  years it creates an undeniable pattern or a schism in NHL evolution catalysing out of the Western Conference.

I am on-board with most of your post but I shudder to remember the last time I head someone discussing useing  Multiple-System System because I think his name was Duelling Dallas......IMHO Championship Teams like the Hawks and Kings and others in all sports implement their own winning System and it is always a CONSISTANT presentation which creates the specific volume and pace of consistant winning Championships require.

Teams could not possibly learn all opponents Systems it is impossible.....to win consistantly you need one System which is adaptable enough to functionally and tangibly adjust itself without losing its core value drivers and integrity or continuity of Process  and be capable of defeating fluid tactical threats every night. This is to My-Eye what the Kings/Hawks play .... a Possesion/Transition syle of Hockey which engages you tacticlly then latches on and mimics you dynamiclly until it doesnt discover but it "learns" your System weaknesses by making you own System mistakes then dials into these terminal junctures in YOUR process  . 

Tom Renney-Ralph Krueger produced some results which equalled or bettered Dynasty records....and IMHO had his System been opimised and maintained the Oilers would already be multiple Cup Winners in this era. I think the Kings and Hawks mimiced those Oilers System presentations which had been around in part or parcel since 2007 begining in 2012 when the Kings with a nose-diving season and 25 games to go suddenly found Excaliber and marched to the 2012 Stanley Cup.Feb 2 2012 was the Big-Night Bowman recognised the Oilers had DESROYED his team using something "new" he had not seen before....Scotty hadnt seen it before???It was definately 'New".

I think todays Roster could  DOMINANLY OUT-GUN  the 80s Oilers and rewrite Dynasty Oilers AND NHL Record books.....look up Yakupovs shooting % when he came into he League specificly when it was over 20%....now envision ALL Oilers having this same shooting% or higher.....consistantly under Mac-Ls System whatever it is he chooses because all Renney and Krueger did was have a few things  ADDED a few details implemented  into their existing Systems....Mac-L can do this same adjusting to his own System,methinks he already has tried judging by his San Jose PP videos.

A page of blather but you put up no substance. Bill made points, you don't.

How/when did Renney/Krueger exceed anything the dynasty Oilers did? Leading their team to early summers & long golf seasons?

As to the 2nd highlited the dynasty Oilers have SC rings while todays roster has a record of being 1st to the podium.

3rd, what kind of math are you using to say Yak scored on 20% of his shots in any league?

*********************************************************************************

This isn't a video game & if you're using Corsi or whatever try to determine what the #s would be for Gretzky or Kurri.

While you're at it see what they'd be for Rocket Richard, Gordie Howe or Bobby Orr. I'd love to see those #s.

A page of blather is rather strong.You are fixated on the Stanley Cup Rings standing  between the two Teams summers and golfing.......your favorite number isnt Six by chance is it?Ole Six Rings...is that you?I am discussing Process and you are fixated  on the Product of the Process. 

Renney and Krueger were both coaches of Oilers rosters which managed to break or equal Dynasty records,how did you forget Silent Sam Gagners 8 Point Night and who his coach was and what System he was executing ?Voluntary amnesia?I know you likely understand who the Coach was and how many points Sam scored....I sounds like you aren familiar with much related to the System Renney or Krueger or any NHL Coaches use but if I use the same crutch as you "Bill might" know a little something about Systems.Hall scored 2 goals in 8 seconds  breaking a Dynasty record held by Gretzky of 2 goals in 9 seconds,Taylor and his teammates were   executing as Krueger taught them ,chronologiclly Eakins was the Coach but the catalyst of Halls focus wasnt Dallas whatsoever IMHO. O2/16/2013 Oilers vs Avalanche.....Ralph Kruegers System executed by the Oilers broke a Dynasty record when they took 56 shots a record held @ 55 since March21/1986.  Thanks for coming there is more but I am bored.  

According to Bruce McCurdy May19/2015 article titled "Edmonton Oilers Gunner Nail Yakupov salvaged his season in final two months,but only to a degree" in this article Bruce notes Yakupovs Rookie shooting % was 21%.Who was Coaching Nail during this time?

Wow mr bad grammer is at it agin why in the world do you have three periods after a sentence ,you only use that when you are continueing a sentence especially when you have another thing to say but do not have any room.

Edited by UlyssesJoyce

Its simple!.. By allowing the players to play; give them the freedom to be creative!

Creativity is important but so is structure , the two go hand in hand . Maybe New age Moma  can enlighten you on that topic .

Its simple!.. By allowing the players to play; give them the freedom to be creative!

Creativity is important but so is structure , the two go hand in hand . Maybe New age Moma can enlighten you on that topic .

Gulp!..

I do not agree that structure = statistics.

By far the majority of statistics  are related to offence.

Structure is understanding, good-habits, commitment, hard work and discipline ... none of which are statistically driven.