The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
jimmy-c

Hamilton to Flames

Some personnel issues there. Not only do the Bs reject our offer, they bolster our rival. Now 28 GMs will question the way the Bs do business.

Joe Haggerty @HackswithHaggs

Per a source, Edmonton offered B's 16th, 33rd & 57th picks in this draft, but Boston wanted Darnell Nurse as part of the package for DH27

that's a nonstarter for me. Nurse is not available.

That's the reason PC wouldn't do this deal. The Bruins wanted Nurse and PC told them to forget it. That to me was the smart move on PC's part. To the OP, before you spout off that it's the same old Oilers missing an opportunity, get the facts first. PC was right to walk away from this deal. Nurse will be equal to Hamilton in a year or 2 and the deal was a bad one for the Oil.

Not Upset PC said no to trading nurse. But totally sucks Boston took lesser pick then trading with the Oilers.

To make things worse they take the guy who i was really hoping for with their first pick. Morealle had Zboril making it to us at 16.

I am hoping for Evgeny to make it.

And Boston goes completely off-board with 14 and 15.

Sweeney and Neely acting like jilted lovers; it actually looks like a discount was given to ensure Dougie goes to PC's rival. 

So whats the plan for when Chara retires in 3 years? 

Would love to have Calgary's D group! They can put a shooter-tutor in net without worry...good for them (yuck for us).

Sweeney and Neely acting like jilted lovers; it actually looks like a discount was given to ensure Dougie goes to PC's rival. 

Calgary lucked out on that one . I wonder if PC can still do an offer sheet for Hamilton ? Wouldn't that add fuel to the battle of Alberta .

I can't see Calgary letting that happen.  Would love to be wrong, but expect a deal to be announced for Dougie over the weekend.

This whole thing smells of Neely willing to accept underpayment for Hamilton just to send him to Chiarelli's biggest rival. If that's the case, talk about letting emotions get in the way of doing your job proper.

i feel bad for Bruins fans, they now have the worse management in hockey, 10 years of suffering ahead of them, this is such a bad trade for them and really Hamilton should be an Oiler. atleast we got Reinhart out of the day

and they made a big mess of those picks could of easily traded back and gotten more assets

Edited by OilFury

This whole thing smells of Neely willing to accept underpayment for Hamilton just to send him to Chiarelli's biggest rival. If that's the case, talk about letting emotions get in the way of doing your job proper.

It stinks .

It stinks .

Amen. We would be doing cartwheels if we gave up just another second to have gotten Hamilton. That would have been an A plus day.

I'm thinking they wanted to trade up with those three picks to grab Hanafin (or maybe Eichel, lol), and were told to take a walk.  And had no idea what to do with their extra two picks.

Gotta hand it to Pete though with taking the high road, refusing to comment on whether any sort of animosity involving the Bruins' regime played a role in scuttling the Hamilton deal.

Gotta hand it to Pete though with taking the high road, refusing to comment on whether any sort of animosity involving the Bruins' regime played a role in scuttling the Hamilton deal.

Not sure he had a choice really, he comes out on the losing end of the deal which wouldn't put himself in a very good light at all.

Not sure he had a choice really, he comes out on the losing end of the deal which wouldn't put himself in a very good light at all.

Although the deal that didn't happen may have been more a result of him threatening an offer sheet rather than his past relationship with Boston, who knows, but Calgary ended up with Hamilton for less than we offered so something was up there.

Boston didn't want nothing to do with signing him long term for a reason.And hes not going to have Chara taking up three quarters of the ice surface in Calgary.I think the big guy was his partner for the majority of his NHL career Lets see how it plays out .But Calgary is going for it right now. Nothing wrong with that..Guesses on the cap hit.?.6.25 million for 6 years is mine.

Would liked to have acquired Hamilton. But people need to keep perspective. He wasn't the tower of power some people seemed to think he was, despite his height. 

He seemed like a right-handed Marincin with more offensive ability.

Would liked to have acquired Hamilton. But people need to keep perspective. He wasn't the tower of power some people seemed to think he was, despite his height.

He seemed like a right-handed Marincin with more offensive ability.

He also didn't have to carry the team. He had Chara to do that. And in Calgary he has a solid core as well to help. For all we know he may have been completely exposed with our team. Not saying he isn't great, but he may not have been our savior either.

Sure miss Cap Geek...Anyone know when GIO needs to be signed by.? And an alternative site to Cap Geek.? lol

Try General Fanager

Some personnel issues there. Not only do the Bs reject our offer, they bolster our rival. Now 28 GMs will question the way the Bs do business.

It's getting silly with Neely. The more this continues, the more I can postulate about that end of year interview between he and PC:

"You dropped the ball trading Seguin, Pete."

"You traded Seguin, I called him being a 40 goal scorer there Cam."

"You're fired."

Hamilton played his career so far with Chara for a partner..This is the big bad west out here,his toughness will be tested.Plus the Flames still have to sign him..IF he gets 7 million per,what is GIO going to want.?. The jury is still out on this one..But Boston sure went off the beaten path with their picks .Not sure what their line of thinking was there.

I heard Dougie declined 6yrs 33mil from Boston. Anything over 6 might set a dangerous precedence for the contracts of Gio, Russell, Monohan, Gaudreau, Bennett, etc…
Maybe they expect to lose one of Russell or Gio or at least trade Wideman in the next year. 

I heard Dougie declined 6yrs 33mil from Boston. Anything over 6 might set a dangerous precedence for the contracts of Gio, Russell, Monohan, Gaudreau, Bennett, etc…

Maybe they expect to lose one of Russell or Gio or at least trade Wideman in the next year. 

Yeah. A just turned 22 defenseman logging 21:20 in icetime could skew the salary cap @ $6 million.

Next thing you know high pick wingers might be getting $6 x 6 on their 2nd contract based on potential. :o

@ least D is 1 of the most in demand positions in trades.

Cave Flames.Cave...Youd look pretty stupid bringing  this to arbitration....7 million for 7 years.And the keys to the worlds biggest maxi pad of course.

Edited by stranger

Yeah. A just turned 22 defenseman logging 21:20 in icetime could skew the salary cap @ $6 million.

Next thing you know high pick wingers might be getting $6 x 6 on their 2nd contract based on potential. :o

@ least D is 1 of the most in demand positions in trades.

The oilers 6 mil contracts aren't bad at all. Get over it flyer fan.

Phil Kessel makes 8 million

Eric Staal makes 8.25

Patrick Kane makes 10.5

Claude Giroux makes 8.75

Bobby Ryan makes 7.25

Corey Perry 8.6

Rick Nash 7.8

The Hall, Eberle and Nugent deals are actually value contracts at this point.