The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
jimmy-c

Hamilton to Flames

The oilers 6 mil contracts aren't bad at all. Get over it flyer fan.

Phil Kessel makes 8 million

Eric Staal makes 8.25

Patrick Kane makes 10.5

Claude Giroux makes 8.75

Bobby Ryan makes 7.25

Corey Perry 8.6

Rick Nash 7.8

The Hall, Eberle and Nugent deals are actually value contracts at this point.

Nuge and Hall deals look great based on their upside (& what Nuge showed last year and Hall the 2 seasons prior to last). Ebs ceiling is slightly lower but he's still valuable on that contract. Could easily be the 2nd best offensive player on a lot of number 1 lines.

Edited by deantime419

It's June 30 and no announcement on Hamilton signing yet - are the Flames playing up the drama for an announcement later today? Or, has a glitch surfaced? Hmmmm

It's June 30 and no announcement on Hamilton signing yet - are the Flames playing up the drama for an announcement later today? Or, has a glitch surfaced? Hmmmm

Gotta wonder what is going on here. Very Curious.

Now I'm 95% sure the Flames will sign Hamilton; however, if they don't, should the Oilers do the offer sheet? Personally, it's not a move that I like (prefer more amicable ways to acquire players). But.......

Now I'm 95% sure the Flames will sign Hamilton; however, if they don't, should the Oilers do the offer sheet? Personally, it's not a move that I like (prefer more amicable ways to acquire players). But.......

No. Because of the Flames and Bruins are both unable to sign him. This is not the type of players the Oilers should care to deal with. We don't need demanding drama type people here.

Looks like he just wanted out of Boston with that contract not being significantly more than what Boston is reported to have offered him. 

Congrats Dougie...Welcome to "The Land of The Giants"....pretty well 6mill for 6 years. Now THATS a good raise.Sets the bar for other players.I wonder what Bouma and Ferland will want later today.Those guys both impressed me last year..Mohahan,Gaudreau,and Gio next year.....

They have an interesting cap situation moving forward. Getting him for less than 6 looks good on the flames end. I feel like if he would've got more than that it could've set a dangerous precedent for the rest of the players they need to re-up soon.

They'll have shed some deadweight (Raymond, Engellend, Smid, maybe Stajan and Wideman) in order to retain Gio, Russell, Hudler, Gaudreau, Monahan next year. Would be huge for them to get cheap goaltending beyond this season too.  

Calgary's cap space today is $15,220,434.00.

Hiller ($4M) will be gone at the end of the 2015/2016 season.

Potentially trading Bollig ($1.25M - 2 years), Engelland ($2.92M - 2 years), Raymond ($3.15M - 2 years NTC), & Smid ($3.5M - 2 years) could free up an additional $10.8M.

Smid may also be a candidate for LTIR as there have been NO updates on him since he was injured in February.

That would be $30M/yr. available for salary increases to 2016/2017 UFAs: Giordano ($4.02M), Hudler ($4M), Jones (4M), & Russell ($2.6M) as well as 2016/2017 RFAs: Colborne ($1.275M), Gaudreau ($925k), Granlund ($767.5k), Monahan ($925k), & Orito ($600k).

Giordano, Gaudreau & Monahan will most likely receive substantial raises (approx total $14M/yr.), the others will probably only be offered moderate increases.

Calgary's cap space today is $15,220,434.00.

They still probably need a legitimate backup goalie, and 2-3 wingers. That will eat up at least additional 8-10 million of that cap space.  

Brilliant signing for a legit first pairing damn coming into his prime.

The cap will be going up throughout his career making his contract even better.

As great as the Flames management is doing now Jay feaster has to get some credit for leaving some nice pieces to play with.

Would liked to have acquired Hamilton. But people need to keep perspective. He wasn't the tower of power some people seemed to think he was, despite his height. 

He seemed like a right-handed Marincin with more offensive ability.

I agree.  

He's been groomed to take over from Chara but has not delivered so far.  In fairness, he does remind me of a young Chara in many ways, although he is not as imposing a physical specimen.  Tyler Myers is a better player and a closer comparable.  

I don't think we will start seeing a truly imposing Hamilton for a couple of years yet, and there are no guarantees that he will ever become one of the best D in the league.  I think our forwards will take advantage of his bad mistakes quite a lot

Boston didn't want nothing to do with signing him long term for a reason.And hes not going to have Chara taking up three quarters of the ice surface in Calgary.I think the big guy was his partner for the majority of his NHL career Lets see how it plays out .But Calgary is going for it right now. Nothing wrong with that..Guesses on the cap hit.?.6.25 million for 6 years is mine.

Hamilton's contract is 5.75 for 6 years - nothing wrong with that... 

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/CGY?expand=true&year=2016

Edited by Flame111

:th_hockey20player: ... waiting for the most outrageous overpayment of this summer. 

It isn't the Hamilton contract. BT isn't Sutter.

This is very impressive for BT. All year long the weakness in the Flames was lamented constantly. Need a better top 4 D and a right handed D man. Never in a million years would I have imagined a way to snag 22 year old Hamilton who is not a risk but already proven and that big right handed D. 

The Flames have one of the best D groups in the NHL. 

Frolik is an underrated RW but that was the other constant compliant. He locks him down, paid a little too much but a good versatile player. Signs Backlund quietly another solid player for a reasonable contract. G is still 1A / 1B and rotating but the Flames in my mind just went from an upstart season last year to expectation to make the playoffs next season.

:th_hockey20player: ... waiting for the most outrageous overpayment of this summer. 

This is very impressive for BT. All year long the weakness in the Flames was lamented constantly. Need a better top 4 D and a right handed D man. Never in a million years would I have imagined a way to snag 22 year old Hamilton who is not a risk but already proven and that big right handed D. 

Frolik is an underrated RW but that was the other constant compliant. He locks him down, paid a little too much but a good versatile player. Signs Backlund quietly another solid player for a reasonable contract. G is still 1A / 1B and rotating but the Flames in my mind just went from an upstart season last year to expectation to make the playoffs next season.

I am not so sure now that Flames paid too much. This is free agency yes, but look at what RoR got. I think Frolik at just over half what RoR was signed at places him about where he should be.

Edited by DirtyDeeds

:th_hockey20player: ... waiting for the most outrageous overpayment of this summer.

I am not so sure now that Flames paid too much. This is free agency yes, but look at what RoR got. I think Frolik at just over half what RoR was signed at places him about where he should be.
O'Reilly is overpaid himself. He's been holding out for money going back years.

:th_hockey20player: ... waiting for the most outrageous overpayment of this summer.

O'Reilly is overpaid himself. He's been holding out for money going back years.

Yes he held out and the Flames offer sheet put a big wrench into the Colorado cap budget ever since. That offer sheet pretty much guaranteed he would be overpaid and took that out of his hands.