The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

I'm not sure why Hall is deemed a great winger for McDavid.

Hall thrives in carrying the puck from blue line to blue line. McDavid seems to be the same. With both of them on the same line I would think we are not maximizing both of their talents.

I think we should role three offensive lines and have a 4th energy line that also does the majority of PK work.

Pouliot-RNH-Eberle

Hall-Lander-Yakupov

(Bigger bodied vet)-McDavid-Purcell

Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski

EXTRA:Gazdic

Sekera-(Right hand defenceman to push down Schultz, Fayne)

Klefbom-Schultz

Ference-Fayne

EXTRA:Nikitin-Gryba

Take a look at a clip of Hall & McDavid at the Bio steel, that will give you a reason or two. Easy to find @ TSN.

Speed kills. That's why I'd put Hall with McD. I'm just not so sure we have a good fit on the other wing. Our right side needs a big physical two way forward IMO.

As our lineup is as of now I guess this would be my approach:

Pou, Nuge, Ebs

Hall, McD, Purcell(sigh)

Korp, Lander, Yak

Henny, Letestu, whoever earns it

If Yak can play a complete game and play two ways consistently move him up to line 2. Till then I prefer a vet there.

I expect PC to start Drai in the AHL then bring him up on the wing when someone gets hurt. And I expect him to play well enough he will earn a full time spot on the team for remainder of season. Wishful thinking.

Defence is still kind of a mess. Nurse is going to be a force for years to come. I see him making the team right out of camp. But I wouldn't complain seeing him spend some time in the AHL first. However, I think he's going to earn a spot. More wishful thinking.

Excited for the season. Had to upgrade TV size this summer. Haha.

Go Oil.

image.png

Take a look at a clip of Hall & McDavid at the Bio steel, that will give you a reason or two. Easy to find @ TSN.

I'm not saying that Hall and McDavid will not play together, but I'm not sure a no contact, friendly, sponsorship promotional, shinny game with a smattering of NHL retirees, junior draftees, celebs, oh yeah, and a couple actual NHL players who are mostly friends, is a good indication of anything.

Might as well say, "Man did you see how Hall and McDavid played tidily winks together?  It's like they were somehow psychically connected!"

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

I'm not saying that Hall and McDavid will not play together, but I'm not sure a no contact, friendly, sponsorship promotional, shinny game with a smattering of NHL retirees, junior draftees, celebs, oh yeah, and a couple actual NHL players who are mostly friends, is a good indication of anything.

Might as well say, "Man did you see how Hall and McDavid played tidily winks together?  It's like they were somehow psychically connected!"

[/quote

I only said it gives you a couple of reasons why they could be good on a line. I don't remember saying it was set in stone or that there isn't any other options. I don't know why you are referring to tidily winks, but I do know they looked like good passing plays at high speed. You are also downplaying the level of competition, there is more than just a couple of NHL players involved here.They play on the same line or they don't, nothing to argue over.

Edited by mrtea

[/quote

I only said it gives you a couple of reasons why they could be good on a line. I don't remember saying it was set in stone or that there isn't any other options. I don't know why you are referring to tidily winks, but I do know they looked like good passing plays at high speed. You are also downplaying the level of competition, there is more than just a couple of NHL players involved here.They play on the same line or they don't, nothing to argue over.

Yes ... I am downplaying the level of play and the level of competition at the "Biosteel Cup" summer hockey, non-impact photo op .....

Shame on me.  I truly am a terrible human being to suggest that it is like tidily winks ... and that it sure isn't real competition .... 

Edited by DeutchOil

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

[/quote

Yes ... I am downplaying the level of play and the level of competition at the "Biosteel Cup" summer hockey, non-impact photo op .....

Shame on me.  I truly am a terrible human being to suggest that it is like tidily winks ... and that it sure isn't real competition .... 

Are you so bored that you want to argue over nothing? Get a life.

Speed kills. That's why I'd put Hall with McD. I'm just not so sure we have a good fit on the other wing. Our right side needs a big physical two way forward IMO.

Pou, Nuge, Ebs

Hall, McD, Purcell(sigh)

Korp, Lander, Yak

If Yak can play a complete game and play two ways consistently move him up to line 2. Till then I prefer a vet there.

I expect PC to start Drai in the AHL then bring him up on the wing when someone gets hurt. And I expect him to play well enough he will earn a full time spot on the team for remainder of season. Wishful thinking.

Defence is still kind of a mess. Nurse is going to be a force for years to come. I see him making the team right out of camp. But I wouldn't complain seeing him spend some time in the AHL first. However, I think he's going to earn a spot. More wishful thinking.

Go Oil.

The other reason why I like my lines better is match ups. Of the three scoring lines, who's going to draw the toughest match ups? IMO it would leave McDavid wide open with Hall's line getting the toughest match and Nuge's the second.

haha, nice writings NewageOil.

Hall Nuge Eberle,

Pouliot McDavid Yakupov,

Korpi Draisaitl Pitlick,

Letestu Lander Purcell,

D core if they decide to start Nurse and Reinhart in the A:

Sekera Schultz,

Klefbom Fayne,

Ferrence Gryba,

Nikitin

D core that I want to start:

Nurse Schultz,

Sekera Klefbom,

Reinhart Fayne,

Nikitin/Gryba

A lot of guys are leaving Pitlick out of the line-up. He's a power forward that showed flashes of offensive brilliance and good instincts last year after coming back from that horrific spleen injury when he planted Bouma with his chest. Whether Nurse and Reinhart make the team starting night Im thinking depends on what Ferrence and Nikitin look like. Im betting Nurse will probably make the team this year for starting night.

Edited by hemskyslickstar

Pou, Nuge, Ebs

Hall, McD, Purcell(sigh)

Korp, Lander, Yak

Go Oil.

The other reason why I like my lines better is match ups. Of the three scoring lines, who's going to draw the toughest match ups? IMO it would leave McDavid wide open with Hall's line getting the toughest match and Nuge's the second.

I have yet to see anyone of the other 29 NHL teams actual give a darn as to who we have on the ice, teams haven't had to concern themselves in regards to match ups against us for at least the last 5 years.

The Oilers have six veteran defenders for this seasons roster ( Sekera , Fayne , Gryba , Ference , Nikitin & Schultz )

What's going to happen when ( Klefbom , Reinhart & Nurse ) out play three of those veteran guy's ?

There are going to be some tough decisions to make is all I have to say .

The Oilers have six veteran defenders for this seasons roster ( Sekera , Fayne , Gryba , Ference , Nikitin & Schultz )

What's going to happen when ( Klefbom , Reinhart & Nurse ) out play three of those veteran guy's ?

Tough decisions is a good thing. The right choices made by management hopefully will follow. Nurse and Reinhart should start in the AHL , it will refine their skills playing big minutes and make them that much hungrier to get to the NHL with no question of entitlement when they finally are brought up. If they are so good that they force management to make the tough choice that is a good problem to have. 

Tough decisions is a good thing. The right choices made by management hopefully will follow. Nurse and Reinhart should start in the AHL , it will refine their skills playing big minutes and make them that much hungrier to get to the NHL with no question of entitlement when they finally are brought up. If they are so good that they force management to make the tough choice that is a good problem to have. 

I would go so far as to put Nikitin and Schultz on notice .... "Nurse and Reinhart are competing for your jobs.  Outperform them, or take their spot in Bakersfield".

No doubt it's a good problem to have . But what would be really cool is if they would be able to invite Franson to camp for a looksee to provide some competition for Schultz   . It would be the most interesting battle at camp .

Pou, Nuge, Ebs

Hall, McD, Purcell(sigh)

Korp, Lander, Yak

Go Oil.

I have yet to see anyone of the other 29 NHL teams actual give a darn as to who we have on the ice, teams haven't had to concern themselves in regards to match ups against us for at least the last 5 years.

I think our first game in St Louis is gonna be important....Someone needs to set the pace for the year that we will "not" be pushed around anymore, and that we will "not" be putting up with nonsense starting this year!(kinda like that kid who gets sand thrown in his face all the time by the bully but who eventually gets mad, builds his physique, and eventually drops the bully with one punch. Eventually the bully leaves him alone)....Anyway, someone needs to do something similar, to rid our reputation as being "soft"...Therefore, one of the Oiler players needs to find some courage and go face punch St Louis's toughest guy and see what happens...

img-168569-m.jpg

C2G brings up my biggest concern regarding our lineup, especially our top forwards, are they gonna get pushed around...again? I don't think we need one of them to set the tone, we need ALL of them to set the tone, and yes, do it immediately, in EVERY game (not by punching the biggest guy in the face however). Team toughness...we need it.

Anyone hear if anyone has beefed up? I heard somewhere Nuge said he put on like 20 lbs and is now 195?! (Is that true!) I think I read on here somebody seen Ebs golfing and he looked ripped. And I've seen Hall in interviews and "visually" he seems bigger. Even Yak looks bigger to me? What about the rest of the team? If all or any of this is true....YabaDabaDoo!

image.png

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

Hall - McDavid - Purcell

Hendricks - Lander - Yakupov

Klinkhammer - Letestu - Korpikoski

Klefbom - Sekera

Fayne - Schultz

Nikitin - Ference/Gryba

Talbot

Scrivens

x84fl.jpg

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

Hall - McDavid - Purcell

Klefbom - Sekera

Fayne - Schultz

Nikitin - Ference/Gryba

Talbot

Scrivens

this really has nothing to do with your lineup specifically but I just can't stand the idea of Taylor Hall of any of the other "core" still getting sheltered minutes and I don't believe for a minute that McDavid won't get sheltered minutes so by default anyone playing with him will also get sheltered minutes.

haha, nice writings NewageOil.

Hall Nuge Eberle,

Pouliot McDavid Yakupov,

Korpi Draisaitl Pitlick,

Letestu Lander Purcell,

D core if they decide to start Nurse and Reinhart in the A:

Sekera Schultz,

Klefbom Fayne,

Ferrence Gryba,

Nikitin

D core that I want to start:

Nurse Schultz,

Sekera Klefbom,

Reinhart Fayne,

Nikitin/Gryba

A lot of guys are leaving Pitlick out of the line-up. He's a power forward that showed flashes of offensive brilliance and good instincts last year after coming back from that horrific spleen injury when he planted Bouma with his chest. Whether Nurse and Reinhart make the team starting night Im thinking depends on what Ferrence and Nikitin look like. Im betting Nurse will probably make the team this year for starting night.

We got a lot of fall-back options this year. I also wouldn't mind seeing this forward line-up:

Pouliot Nuge Eberle,

Korpi  McDavid Yakupov,

Hall  Draisaitl  Pitlick,

Letestu  Lander  Purcell,

Hendricks           Klinkhammer

Gazdic

This gives us really good balance and depth in the line-up with Hendy and Klink and Gazzy waiting in the wings to step in if someone gets injured or falters.

pp1.  Pouliot McDavid Yakupov

pp2.  Hall  Nuge/Draisaitl  Eberle    

if Hall and Ebs cant get it together and/or create some havoc in front of the net on the pp then go:

pp2.  Korpikoski  Nuge  Pitlick

Accountability. I'd make sure we play the best system/s too. More Mclellan than Mclellan. (;

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

Hall - McDavid - Purcell

Klefbom - Sekera

Fayne - Schultz

Nikitin - Ference/Gryba

Talbot

Scrivens

this really has nothing to do with your lineup specifically but I just can't stand the idea of Taylor Hall of any of the other "core" still getting sheltered minutes and I don't believe for a minute that McDavid won't get sheltered minutes so by default anyone playing with him will also get sheltered minutes.

I really don't think they will shelter mcD as much as they did with the previous #1's, who knows, 25 games in he very well could have earned his way to the top line.

x84fl.jpg

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

Hall - McDavid - Purcell

Klefbom - Sekera

Fayne - Schultz

Nikitin - Ference/Gryba

Talbot

Scrivens

I really don't think they will shelter mcD as much as they did with the previous #1's, who knows, 25 games in he very well could have earned his way to the top line.

I've got my figures crossed and hopefully that might happen, personally I don't think PC will burden McDavid with that kind of responsibility this year and if history repeats itself with PC we could just as likely see McDavid playing limited minutes on the 4th line, I don't honestly think this will happen either as I think he'll keep McDavid 2nd or 3rd line for the entire season.

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle

Hall - McDavid - Purcell

Klefbom - Sekera

Fayne - Schultz

Nikitin - Ference/Gryba

Talbot

Scrivens

I think you've about nailed it . But there are a few things to touch on .

I have to think that Korpikoski might surprise some people , with his speed and defensive awareness , he might be a better option than Purcell on that line with Hall & McDavid . I wouldn't be surprised if Pakarinen shows up in a big way too .

I also would question playing Fayne on the left side , it looks puzzling . Punting Schultz would solve that , Reinhart & Nurse are pieces to the puzzle that might fit better .

Another question is Ference . If he can't play , maybe he can play a role coaching some of those young up and coming defenders or be a sounding board for them adjusting to the NHL . Could he be a player / coach ? He sure sounds like it . Just a thought .

In general ,  I like that veterans are paired with younger players . Boosting Hendricks with Lander & Yak is brilliant . Klink / Gazdic , with Letestu & Korpi / Purcell or even Pakarinen might work too .

We all have fantastic ideas . I'm confident TODD MCLELLAN has some even better ideas .

Edited by billpayor

After listening to our coaches recent interview and his opinion of LD I think our starting lineup looks something like this regarding forwards:

LD, Nuge, Ebs

Hall, McD, Yak

Pou, Lander, Purcell

Henny, Letestu, ?

First two lines take your pick which is our top unit....both.

LD and Pou can be interchangeable if need be. Same said for Yak and Teddy.

If LD can handle the top line minutes and McD's line isn't a defensive liability....wow.

Still not sure who's gonna EARN that 4th line spot.

image.png

TM stated that he hadn't seen any of them play so it's all just loose projections right now.

"Young players will not play if they're not ready."

With regards to LD potentially playing on the wing:

"He's pegged at 3C, but may want to consider trying wing if he wants to play in the Top 6."

IMO, there's nothing said there that convinces me that LD, who was not ready for 3C last season, will somehow be LW on the Top line this year.

I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

I really can't see Leon taking Pouliot's spot on that top line with Nuge & Ebs just yet . Pouliot was awfully good , plus they could still benefit from his veteran  suave .

But then again if he's ready , there would be no point in holding him back . And no doubt eventually it's going to happen .

I would have to say the same thing  for Pakarinen , who could be just the right fit on Hall & McD's RW .

There will be a huge battle between Yakupov , Purcell , Korpikoski & Pakarinen on RW . Pitlick won't stand a chance .

But again , I think the vet's might prevail , initially .

Watch out for Iiro and Lauri though , the flying Finns . 

For now it is obviously uncertain if LD could handle those minutes on a top line or if he is even ready, hence the interchangeable with Pou.

I agree Pouliot was awfully good for us, he did play above his average(for him) though from my understanding. That said, I'd have no problem keeping him with Nuge n Ebs. But. PC may think differently of Pou as they were together in Boston and I do not think Pou was receiving top minutes. Couple that with how TM managed SJ and has no problem moving centers to wings with proven success. Add on LD previously stating he has no problem playing wing. Add on he is big, strong on the puck and at protecting it, and can take draws. Yes, I definitely think putting LD in a top 6 winger role is something very worth considering and trying. That's what TC is for, I can guarantee it will be tried. And if the shoe fits....run with it.

Edited by HappyHappy

image.png

Im starting to warm to the idea of Draisaitl "temporarily" playing on the wing.

Pouliot Nuge Eberle,

Hall  McDavid Yakupov,

Draisaitl  Lander Pitlick,

Korpi  Letestu  Purcell,

Hendricks         Klinkhammer

Gazdic 

Nurse Schultz,

Sekera Klefbom,

Reinhart  Fayne,

Gryba

Still not sure about Hall playing with Yakupov, But, put "The Generation" between them and they should fare ok..as long as Hall knows hes a set-up man now...(;   I'm very excited for this season. Hope they play a better system! (: You can't win in the West without one. I still think you want a guy like the "German Gretzky" at center so he touches the puck as much as possible. Play Letestu on the wing instead.

3. Korpi  Draisaitl  Pitlick,

4. Letestu  Lander  Purcell,

If I was Mclellan, I might even try this:

Pouliot Nuge Eberle,

Hall Lander Yakupov,

Draisaitl  McDavid  Pitlick,

Korpi  Letestu  Purcell,

So the German Gretzky can play with The Generation and an emerging power forward,-Pitlick..

Kinda hate to drop Hallsy to the "third line" but how bout this?..

Pouliot Nuge Eberle,

Draisaitl  McDavid  Yakupov,

Hall    Letestu     Pitlick,

Korpi  Lander  Purcell,

Im starting to warm to the idea of Draisaitl "temporarily" playing on the wing.

Pouliot Nuge Eberle,

Hall  McDavid Yakupov,

Draisaitl  Lander Pitlick,

Korpi  Letestu  Purcell,

Hendricks         Klinkhammer

Gazdic 

Nurse Schultz,

Sekera Klefbom,

Reinhart  Fayne,

Gryba

Still not sure about Hall playing with Yakupov, But, put "The Generation" between them and they should fare ok..as long as Hall knows hes a set-up man now...(;   I'm very excited for this season. Hope they play a better system! (: You can't win in the West without one. I still think you want a guy like the "German Gretzky" at center so he touches the puck as much as possible. Play Letestu on the wing instead.

3. Korpi  Draisaitl  Pitlick,

4. Letestu  Lander  Purcell,

If I was Mclellan, I might even try this:

Pouliot Nuge Eberle,

Hall Lander Yakupov,

Draisaitl  McDavid  Pitlick,

Korpi  Letestu  Purcell,

So the German Gretzky can play with The Generation and an emerging power forward,-Pitlick..

I don't see McLellan putting Purcell on the 4th line. They'll likely want to "pump and dump" him and being it his contract year, one would think that he would bring his best game to the rink this season.

I think with how McLellan played Hall and  Eberle at the world's, this is what the forward lines will look like:

Hall-McDavid-Eberle

Pouliot-RNH-Yakupov

Draisaitl-Lander-Purcell

Hendricks-Letestu-Korpikoski

Defence is a little trickier. Reinhart already has the Chiarelli push to make the team. Nurse is looking to wild to make it opening night barring injury.

Klefbom-Sekera

Reinhart-Schultz

Ference-Fayne