The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

I'd still give Scrivens the edge in the goaltending battle with Nilsson. Def wouldn't write him off against Talbot either. The competition is welcome though. 

Talbot will have the longest leash and i hope he's the answer but I wouldn't be shocked if Scirvens or Nilsson won out by years end.

Well I hope Scrivens does not 'win out ' by the end of the year as that will mean we are a high lottery pick team again. I have no issues with Scrivens as the back, which he is but nothing more than that.

Talbot's leash should be so long there is no end to it.

Well you're just assuming;

1- that Talbots numbers weren't propped by NYR's D. I'm not saying they are, but I'm not saying they aren't.

2- that by Scrivens winning the battle that means Talbot and Nilsson failed, not that Scrivens preformed.

Not much reality in assumptions, RO.

Oh I beive that talbots numbers are infalted by the team he was playing for. Who could not?  The question is how much.

Reinhart and Talbot both are going are being banked upon on being big parts of the present and future as we gave away the rest of this years good draft picks for them. Talbot was the target to be the goalie for a reason and will not see the bench. We are going to sink or swim with him.

Every hockey expert or any fan who saw any Oiler games knew and stated we had to upgrade the golatending situation as it was that bad.That's why we went and got Talbot.

As for competetion................

Unless the goalie fairy appears in the offseason that magically transforms Scrivens with improved talent into a starting goalie, then he is what he has shown his who;le career as  a suitable backup. Common sense and reality seem do back that.

Getting the hawks fourth string goalie who has never been rated very highly seems a bit of a s t r e t c h to transform into a starting NHL calibre. So banking on a solid run by a guy who has yet to show he can regularly even play in the NHL to be a that guy who suddenly bucks his talent evaluation and rankings does not seem very realistic. The was a reason was he was aquried for nothing and does not seem like he was a blue chip prospect that was ready to be a NHL starter.

If you want to talk about what is realistic, step into reality.

Every "hockey expert" ought to have seen that we had easily one of - if not THE WORST defense in the league. For questioning Talbot with the flip side of that coin I'm surprised you hadn't considered it.

And where did I say Nilsson is going to be the guy? Re-read my post and take it at face-value. No sub-text there.

Nilsson was brought in for competition.  You can bet he will challenge Scrivens.  Who is Bachman's replacement will be determined by which professor shows up.  But it's obvious Chia has very little faith in Scrivens.

Nilsson was brought in for competition.  You can bet he will challenge Scrivens.  Who is Bachman's replacement will be determined by which professor shows up.  But it's obvious Chia has very little faith in Scrivens.

You could be right but IMO there are two battles.

Scrivens vs Talbot

Nilsson vs Brossoit

You could be right but IMO there are two battles.

Scrivens vs Talbot

Nilsson vs Brossoit

I think it's a 3 way battle royale :Scrivens vs Talbot Vs. Nilsson for 2 spots.

Scrivens being the incumbent has the advantage in any close decisions.

Odd man out goes down and fights it out with Broissoit.

Edited by UnrefinedCrude

crudebg3_zpsxrzgdqob.png

A lot of Oil fans really like Brossiot, myself included, but I have to admit that if in his 3rd pro season if he can't win out a goaltending battle in the AHL vs Nilsson/Scrivens, it's probably fair to curb our expectations that he has starter upside. 

His development has been solid so far but this is a big year for him in our organization. 

A lot of Oil fans really like Brossiot, myself included, but I have to admit that if in his 3rd pro season if he can't win out a goaltending battle in the AHL vs Nilsson/Scrivens, it's probably fair to curb our expectations that he has starter upside. 

His development has been solid so far but this is a big year for him in our organization. 

I think when you have the hometown fans you get a lot of rose colored glasses looking at a player.

he never did have this huge upside or highly touted prospect by any unbiased scouting report.  If he shows that he is a solid AHLer that would be a great start of which he has not shown that ability yet. To suggest he can come in to compete at the NHL is such a stretch. Give him more time to try to develop and see how things shake out. There was a reason we got him from an arch rival and it was not becasue they were that afraid of losing him or facing him.

Ummm, we are talking about the same guy who almost stopped 50 shots in his NHL debut, right?

Give the kid a chance.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by year's end, Scrivens is gone for a bag of pucks, Nilsson is manning the fort in OKC, and Broissoit is the backup behind Talbot.

"What are we battling for the in Battle of Alberta? The right to make accusations of tanking..."

I am giving him a chance and hoping he succeeds but based on his pedigree, I just think Oil fans are expecting too much. He looked great in his debut but it's just one game. 

Penciling him into an NHL role a year from now is a bit ambitious. Again, I'm hoping he ends up having an NHL career and gives us some good starts when his time comes but there are so few spots for goalies in the NHL that he'll need to keep upping his game yearly to break in as a full time NHL'er. More indicative of his current development than his start against SJ is that he couldn't quite unseat Bachman in the AHL this year, which is by no means a "red flag" for a 2nd year pro goalie, but this season he should grab that role of go-to-guy in Bakersfield if we want to continue penciling him in as a future NHL'er.

Two other notes regarding Brossiot:

1. If he continues to develop well, there is an unfortunate realization that he could be lost in the expansion draft assuming we have at least 1 goalie more valuable to us at the time and we protect that goalie over LB (Talbot?)

2. Acquiring him appears to be one of MacT's moves that is looking really good for us ~20 months later. As much as Smid was a fan favorite here, he was another dman with little upside beyond maybe being a #4 dman and we definitely have enough of those right now. Keeping him probably would have kept us from signing Nikitin or Fayne but Fayne appears to be the more useful commodity at this time and Niktin is off the books sooner than Smid. Plus, of course, we ended up acquiring what quickly became our best goalie prospect soon after joining the organization. 

Ummm, we are talking about the same guy who almost stopped 50 shots in his NHL debut, right?

Give the kid a chance.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that by year's end, Scrivens is gone for a bag of pucks, Nilsson is manning the fort in OKC, and Broissoit is the backup behind Talbot.

Ummm, we are talking about the Scrivens that broke the regular season record for most shots in a shutout, right?

Give the guy a chance.

(See how that works?)

Imo it's more likely that we want Brossoit and Laurikainen to get all the starts in Bakersfield.  We need goalie prospects.  Having a Bachman veteran there hurts us in that way.

But it can still be a safety net.  If Brossoit and Laurikainen cannot handle the job in the AHL, then either Scrivens or Nilsson will be sent down.  However, if both our prospects are doing well, I think Chia would rather put the odd one out into the press box, or ship them off in trade.

Agree with your views, Daffy. It's especially important for goal prospects to get a lot of games - play through the highs and lows. Both prospects have high upsides and need the development game time.

Once the season is underway, watch for Scrivens or Nilsson to be shopped especially if any teams lose a goalie to injury.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

I can't see PC wanting to ride a three headed monster in net.  We won't put a third goalie in the press box imo.  The one that loses out will be gone in a trade or one of our underperforming G prospects gets shipped out to keep the more experienced aformentioned loser to maintain depth in net.

I can't see PC wanting to ride a three headed monster in net.  We won't put a third goalie in the press box imo.  The one that loses out will be gone in a trade or one of our underperforming G prospects gets shipped out to keep the more experienced aformentioned loser to maintain depth in net.

I agree except that if it's Nilsson who is odd man out, he will go to the farm system.

Scrivens will be gone in a heartbeat if it is him.

crudebg3_zpsxrzgdqob.png

With all this talk of waiving whoever loses the training camp battle in net, ho are the most intriguing "3rd option" goalies that'd need to clear waivers if sent down?

Ortio comes to mind. 

Give the kid a chance.

All about giving people chances and hoping they develop but I will take his proven development, or more like lack of it, than a one game at this level.

Broissoit needs to show he is at least a quality option at the AHL level before we can have even a realistic discussion about him playing at the NHL level. Perhaps that happens 'by the end of the season', but that is not a option at this point.

I really like this move by PC. Going to be some great competition in camp for jobs amongst goalies. Both Scrivy and Nilly are playing for their NHL lives and are on one year contracts. Then we have LB and Eetu looking to be lurking in the background also. Would be nice to have one of the five turn out to be our Kippy wouldn't it. Haven't felt secure in net since the days of Rolli. Anyway Ben is likely not that guy, but hopefully one of them is, maybe it turns out to be Nilly?

Great acquisition regardless, competition is going to be high as ever...for a change. Amen.

image.png

Watched a replay of Sweden vs Russia from the 2015 world's quarter finals, Nilsson came in to replace Jonas Enroth after Russia scored 3 unanswered. He did well against a STACKED Russian team with the likes of ovechkin, tarasenko, Malkin ect., the swedes rallied back to tie it 3-3 in the 3rd but then fell behind 4-3 on a very lucky deflection off of Ekman-Larsson's skate. I'm not sure what nilsson's final numbers for the game except for the 1 goal against.

x84fl.jpg

Nice read.

Although I'm a little lost on the opening line "One of the more unexpected moves of Peter Chiarelli’s busy summer occurred in early July when the new Oilers GM went goalie-shopping..."

I think goalie shopping was one of the more EXPECTED moves IMO. Even after the acquisition of Talbot.

Nice read.

Although I'm a little lost on the opening line "One of the more unexpected moves of Peter Chiarelli’s busy summer occurred in early July when the new Oilers GM went goalie-shopping..."

I think goalie shopping was one of the more EXPECTED moves IMO. Even after the acquisition of Talbot.

I think they just meant it was an off the radar acquisition. Had everything to do with player. Nothing to do with position.

x84fl.jpg

Has this swede just come out of nowhere  to steal the crease?  His play has been excellent and sure looks comfortable with this group.

From no one who could play and nothing in the cupboard to Talbot, Nilsson and Brossoit in the wings... I like what I'm seeing.

Nilsson sure fills that net and seems so in control.

• Like 1

The way I see it, Nilsson has beat out Scrivens AND Talbot thus far...he has yet to be scored on, albeit facing some less-than-stiff competition, but that is something to say the least. 

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/wild-card-goalie-prospect-anders-nilsson-could-crash-edmonton-oilers-crease-sooner-than-later

This article suggests that it's a specific system he is using, one that Dustin Schwartz is a huge proponent of, and that is The Head Trajectory system.  It's a good read, with another ex-Oiler sprinkled in as an example of this system...

IZEuOE.jpg

Seen that article yesterday, agreed good read. High hopes indeed for AN.

Though preseason games are not the best judge, it's all we have to go on, as well as what is happening in the practices(which we do not see). It's a small sample size dut decisions have to be made.

If I am TM I am starting season Talbot/Nilsson. I feel for Scrivy and he has played well in camp but I believe Nilsson has earned his shot at the big club. He deserves the opportunity.

Based on camp alone Nilsson would be my starter, but because we've banked on Talbot as our #1 he's likely our starter.

Mods- There is already a Nilsson thread on page 2. merge?

image.png

Mods- There is already a Nilsson thread on page 2. merge?

One of my least favorite sayings...."there is already a thread, please merge".  We talked about Taylor Hall as a captain 2 years ago, so mods, can you please merge all Taylor Hall and captain threads to page 60 - thx

@McLick. I was simply bringing it to their attention as it keeps the OMB a little tidier by merging. Same topic/title. I could really care less. If u want to bounce back and forth from thread to thread trying to read about the same player go ahead. Not my preference though.

-Cat pee in your cheerios?

image.png

A lot of threads get de-railed though so it's sometimes more prudent to start a new one. Nilsson has impressed and I agree he starts here. As Gregor said in his comment this morning - it's less likely that Scrivens is picked up on waivers due to his contract (it's a little heavy for a backup goalie) and there are two other teams (Calgary and Minnesota) with a crowded crease. My bet is Scrivens clears waivers and Nilsson won't so Scrivens will go down and we'll see how Nilsson does as Talbot's backup against real NHL players playing at NHL speed and crashing the net at every opportunity. 

This battle is far from over - my bet is we won't know who wins until Christmas (barring injury)

Thanks for your concerns everybody :) as the author of this thread Posthugger can attest, we usually will merge similar threads when they are on the first page, or if the timing between the two is relatively short. In this case I think we can just let this one go.

As for Nilsson I was very impressed with his lateral movement and positioning. He did seem to go down a tad early a few times too many. His reaction time to me was the most impressive, very quick to react and his reflexes were spot on.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!