The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
jetque

Lottery line

TSN gave Oilers that nickname for projected as I said in different thread for

Hall Mcdavid Yakupov

I truly believe this will be a first chance line for Oil to get Yakupov game going (1st line)

2nd Pouliot Nuge Eberle

I prefer '1' line or '1st overall' line but meh, whatever. For one thing though - it's not a line yet. We don't even know if Yakupov will be an Oiler at the beginning of the season (he most likely will but you never know). 

Also, to start the season, RNH will be our #1 centerman, not McDavid. They want to keep as much pressure off McDavid as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing how RNH does though now that he won't be the main focus of opposing coaches as the season wears on though. I'm expecting to see RNH prove he's a worthy 1st overall pick (he showed very good signs last season)

Interesting, I suppose if RNH was on that line it wouldn't be called that as we didn't win the lottery the year that we picked him (NJ did and only moved up from 8th to 4th to pick Adam Larsson)?

I was looking through stats to see what Stanley Cup winner had the most first overall picks on it, and see that the 73 Canadiens, 86 Canadiens and 09 Penguins each had 2 first overall picks, no team has ever had 3 or more. If the Oilers could someday win the cup, and they did so with all 4 first overall picks on their roster (Hall, RHN, Yak and McDavid) I wonder when it would ever be done again (if ever)...and I wonder if it would be something to be proud of or ashamed of (as you have to be pretty bad to draft 4 first overalls picks :D close enough to each other that they all play together....and we have been pretty bad in the recent past ).

If you win the cup you can be proud no matter how many firsts you have .  It is a major accomplishment and requires a full team effort to get there.

If you win the cup you can be proud no matter how many firsts you have .  It is a major accomplishment and requires a full team effort to get there.

Exactly. Only the haters especially rivals will try shame you over all the high picks. But they didn't have to suffer through the hockey that got them, so if we do win, and they do complain... it will only be sweeter.

Exactly. Only the haters especially rivals will try shame you over all the high picks. But they didn't have to suffer through the hockey that got them, so if we do win, and they do complain... it will only be sweeter.

Actually it's the long suffering true fans that stuck around through years that would try the patience of Job that make other fans hope for a resurgence of the Oilers. That includes rivals from the Flames who would love a new, meaningful BoA. (Canuck fans [many children & bandwagor types] will always be haters).

With many hockey fans (as opposed to those that quit watching once their team is eliminated) hard luck teams like the Isles, Sabres, BJs & Oilers are all hoped to get better.

I feel the Oilers can advance @ least a few spots in both the division & conference. Partially due to the 4 west coast teams being weakened & partially due to a stronger team by the time Chia & McLennan are done with them. There might be trades in January after full analysis (who buys in, who doesn't) but @ least this year March should see more threads about the possible playoffs looming & preferred opponents rather than how high the Oilers will pick. I figure they'll be on the cusp this year, likely a wild card or 3rd in the Pacific the next.

I'm hoping that those that remember the old Smythe division will be rooting for the re-emergence of the Flames & Jets while celebrating the implosions of the 4 wet (sic) coast teams. :)

• Like 1

Pittsburgh won the lottery for Crosby too.

Not sure how this applies to a conversation of a full line of First Overall Lottery picks the Oilers have the unique opportunity to ice.

Pittsburgh won the lottery for Crosby too.

Yes they did, but I think I am missing your point. Every team was eligible for the lottery that year, as it was after the cancelled season.
It was weighted though, Pitts was the second most likely I think

I was more just pointing out that more teams then just the Oilers built there team from a lottery pick. Haters gonna hate is all.

Few teams have built their team from 3 of them though.. Hate has nothing to do with it.  Incompetence got us here.

One thing is very true, however, many teams have won without a  lottery win. .... again, hate has nothing to do with that either.

We have the unique (and I believe potentially unbreakable) opportunity to win with 4 first overall picks......I think that is cool, even though I expect to get razzed when I point it out after we win (by the people I know who are Habs/Jets/Leafs/Flames/Canucks fans :) ).

Pittsburgh had the same chance of winning the lottery that year as Buffalo, Columbus and NYR (I think a 1 in 16 chance for each of them).

I prefer '1' line or '1st overall' line but meh, whatever. For one thing though - it's not a line yet. We don't even know if Yakupov will be an Oiler at the beginning of the season (he most likely will but you never know). 

Also, to start the season, RNH will be our #1 centerman, not McDavid. They want to keep as much pressure off McDavid as possible. I'm looking forward to seeing how RNH does though now that he won't be the main focus of opposing coaches as the season wears on though. I'm expecting to see RNH prove he's a worthy 1st overall pick (he showed very good signs last season)

If I'm RNH, I'm training to my fullest this offseason proving I am better than McDavid. As a former 1st overall pick, I'm sure his mindset and goal is to remind ppl that he was once considered to have "Gretzky's vision" and was 1st in his draft class for a reason. Hockey players have pride, don't forget.

If I'm RNH, I'm training to my fullest this offseason proving I am better than McDavid. As a former 1st overall pick, I'm sure his mindset and goal is to remind ppl that he was once considered to have "Gretzky's vision" and was 1st in his draft class for a reason. Hockey players have pride, don't forget.

Nuge I believe will be inspired to up his game this year, simply because of Mcdavid. And that's a good thing!. I can't wait to see the power play, even for Nuge to be with Mcdavid on the same line on occasion. Two cerebral guys who know what they're doing....Gonna be exciting!

Nuge I believe will be inspired to up his game this year, simply because of Mcdavid. And that's a good thing!. I can't wait to see the power play, even for Nuge to be with Mcdavid on the same line on occasion. Two cerebral guys who know what they're doing....Gonna be exciting!

The Nuge will be the greatest one to benefit from 97 coming to town. The Nuge was a bit over his head as that complete number one center but will be one of the best second line centers out there.

Nuge and Ebs really elevated their game in the second half of the season under Todd Nelson.  I think the two of them would have had a great season this year even had the Oilers lost the lottery.  Less attention will just make the two of them that much better.

The Nuge will be the greatest one to benefit from 97 coming to town. The Nuge was a bit over his head as that complete number one center but will be one of the best second line centers out there.

So if the Oilers had drafted Galchenyuk rather than Yakupov in 2012 they would have pushed each other & be a great 1/2 punch by now?

So if the Oilers had drafted Galchenyuk rather than Yakupov in 2012 they would have pushed each other & be a great 1/2 punch by now?

It would not matter who pushes the Nuge. Its the fact he will never be that guy who is able to handle thos elite players in his own zone. He has gotten better on the defensive side but with his frame and mental makeup he will continue to not be able to handle those big strong centers.

He will be slotted where he bits fits in at the NHl level soon.

The Oilers are always hated.They were hated more when the Stanley Cup lived here pretty well full time and will continue to be as the wins start getting chalked up.The best answer to a hater is "Get in Line." Looking forward to the 3 on 3 overtimes in the future...decisions decisions....McDavid,Hall,Nuge,could create a few scoring chances..