• Announcements

• Admin9

Real Time Chat Room   04/19/2017

As most of you know Invision announced they were retiring chat April 30th.   After speaking with our webmaster the Oilers Organization has decided to cover the cost to have a new chat application added to the forums. Hope to have this up and running within a week for you all.
      Thanks A9
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ConnorFutureGM

Expansion: Oilers Protected List

214 posts in this topic

It seems that expansion will happen after next season, the summer of 2017. This will give the current teams the windfall of the World Championships.

If expansion rules are similar to the rules in the last expansion, the Oilers can protect either:

9 forwards, 5 defencemen, 1 goalie. The team must have two forwards and one defenceman left unprotected that played 40 games in the last season or 75 games in the last two seasons combined. No requirement for goalies left unprotected.

or

7 forwards, 3 defencemen, 2 goalies. The team must have two forwards and one defenceman left unprotected that played 40 games in the last season or 75 games in the last two seasons combined. Goalies unprotected must have played 10 games in the last season or 25 in the last two combined.

The rules made some players ineligible. Players on the 1st or 2nd year of their pro career are protected from being drafted. Unsigned draft picks are also protected.

Application of rules for Oilers:

Protected forwards:

Hall, RNH, Eberle, Yakupov, Lander must be protected.

McDavid, Chase, Slepyshev and Draisaitl might be ineligible depending on the interpretation of second year pro. McDavid would be entering his third pro season but would have not played it yet. Draisaitl could've played his third pro season if the 2014-15 season counted as his first even though he was sent back to junior.

Other forwards the Oilers may want to protect and who may be left unprotected and eligible:

Pouliot, Letesttu, Yakimov, Chase, Platzer, Vessel, Khaira, Pakarainen, Slepyshev, Kessy. Of these players, the ones who would likely qualify for the games played requirement are Pouliot and Letestu.

Protected defencemen:

Klefbom, Reinhart, Schultz, Fayne should be protected.

Nurse may proteced from the same stipulation as McDavid. I am not sure if Sekera's NMC gives his the ability to nullify movement to another team through an expansion draft.

Other defencemen the Oilers may want to protect and who may be left unprotected and eligible:

Musil, Simpson, Davidson, Osterle, Laleggia, Gernat, Betker

Protected goalie(s):

Talbot is a UFA after this season. I did not include any players who would be UFA by summer of 2017 but if Talbot proves to be a quality starter we are likely to re-sign him long term.

Brossoit will be the most difficult choice if he continues his strong development as he will be eligible to be drafted.

Other defencemen the Oilers may want to protect and who may be left unprotected and eligible:

Laurikainen

Here's who I would protect. I will presume that McDavid, Nurse, Draisaitl and Sekera are eligible to be drafted.

Forwards: McDavid, RNH, Draisaitl, Lander, Hall, Eberle, Yakupov, Yakimov and one of Chase, Khaira, Moroz, Slepyshev (whoever is developing the best)

Games played requirement forwards left unprotected: Pouliot, Letestu

Defence: Nurse, Reinhart, Klefbom, Schultz, Fayne

Games played requirement defencemen left unprotected: Sekera

Goalie: Whoever is better between Brossoit and Talbot

I'd rather protect Sekera than Schultz.

Yeah, it depends how Schultz is coming and his dollar contract.

I think most teams won't necessarily protect the best player but the most valuable contracts.

The thing with Sekera though, because he has a NMC, it might be the only opportunity to lessen the cap hit from him on the team without using a buyout.

Edited by ConnorFutureGM

We have no idea what this team will look like in 2017.

If it's the same as today, yikes.

You protect -

F-Ebs, Hall, McD, Yak, Drai, Pouliot and Lander

D- Nurse, Klefbom, Reinhart

I think most teams won't necessarily protect the best player but the most valuable contracts.

The thing with Sekera though, because he has a NMC, it might be the only opportunity to lessen the cap hit from him on the team without using a buyout.

Let's say two years from now the cap goes up $6 million. Would you still feel the need to find a way to remove that contract?

Nevermind expansion. ..they need to fold some teams!

Sure they do, but that's not what is happening.

Let's say two years from now the cap goes up $6 million. Would you still feel the need to find a way to remove that contract?

More like three years from now.

If we sign the young, blue chip defencemen to long term contracts:

Nurse - 5 mil per

Klefbom - 4.2 mil per

Reinhart - 4 mil per

All these guys will be entering their prime at less of a cap hit while Sekera will be falling out of his prime with a higher cap hit.

And all these guys are left hand shot defencemen. To have a good balance, we need 3 right hand shots, preferably two of them being offensive.

Edited by ConnorFutureGM

McDavid, Hall, Ebs, RNH, LD, Yak, Lander. The other 2 are almost impossible to predict at this point depending on how the next 2 years go.

I'm going to be optimistic with Sekera and assume he fulfills the top pairing spot we signed him for thus making him worth protecting. 

Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse.

I really hope Reinhart proves to be worth a protection spot otherwise that trade would be a failure.

Then Fayne or Schultz as #5 most likely. 

Hopefully Talbot. 

2017?  Protected List?

The only players we could even possibly be considering in the Summer of 2015 are the players guaranteed to be playing for the Oilers in 2017-18:

Forward:  McDavid

Defence:  Nurse, ....... maybe Klefbom

End of discussion (in my opinion)

This year and next year will determine which of the core is jettisoned to help McDavid succeed ... those who look to be good compliments will be kept, those that look to be hinderances removed.  For all we know, the bad habits the whole core have will get them all axed by 2017 for players not so poorly trained on work ethic, team concept and sacrifice.  

At least 2 pieces of the current core (Hall, Ebs, RNH, Yak, Draisaityl, Schultz), IMO, will be long gone in 2017.

At least 2 pieces of the current core (Hall, Ebs, RNH, Yak, Draisaityl, Schultz), IMO, will be long gone in 2017.

I think Hall, Ebs, and RNH will still be around. I'd be shocked if more than one of those guys were gone by then and I think that one would get traded only if LD or Yak look exceptional in the meantime and we can fill a void on our blue line.

2017?  Protected List?

The only players we could even possibly be considering in the Summer of 2015 are the players guaranteed to be playing for the Oilers in 2017-18:

This year and next year will determine which of the core is jettisoned to help McDavid succeed ... those who look to be good compliments will be kept, those that look to be hinderances removed.  For all we know, the bad habits the whole core have will get them all axed by 2017 for players not so poorly trained on work ethic, team concept and sacrifice.  

Even so, Oilers need to start planning now on what players need to be protected and which ones need to be left exposed.

I think Hall, Ebs, and RNH will still be around. I'd be shocked if more than one of those guys were gone by then and I think that one would get traded only if LD or Yak look exceptional in the meantime and we can fill a void on our blue line.

If Talbot looks decent, the Oilers only need one more BIG piece; a top pairing right hand shot defenceman. They might not necessarily need to trade any of those guys.

Oh god... I've not been looking forward to the expansion draft for this reason.  Assuming we'll play Nurse and Draisaitl enough, because we're the Oilers:

Nuge

Hall

Draisaitl
McDavid

Pouliot
Eberle

Lander

Hendricks

Korpikoski

(Yes no Yak.  I want success from him, but I smell a trade prior to expansion realistically)

Nurse

Klefbom

Sekera

Fayne

Reinhart

Talbot

I'm pretty sure it would have been 9Fwd, 3D & 1G or 7Fwd, 5D & 2G as the 2 potential situations though.  9, 5 and 1 seems like a lot.

Oh god... I've not been looking forward to the expansion draft for this reason.  Assuming we'll play Nurse and Draisaitl enough, because we're the Oilers:

Nuge

Hall

Draisaitl

McDavid

Pouliot

Eberle

Lander

Hendricks

Korpikoski

(Yes no Yak.  I want success from him, but I smell a trade prior to expansion realistically)

Nurse

Klefbom

Sekera

Fayne

Reinhart

Talbot

I'm pretty sure it would have been 9Fwd, 3D & 1G or 7Fwd, 5D & 2G as the 2 potential situations though.  9, 5 and 1 seems like a lot.

Hendricks and Korpikoski will be UFAs in two seasons if that's when expansion is.

I know everyone is for protecting Sekera but he has a 6 year contract with a full NMC. He might be not worth his cap hit in the final years of his contract.

Hendricks and Korpikoski will be UFAs in two seasons if that's when expansion is.

I know everyone is for protecting Sekera but he has a 6 year contract with a full NMC. He might be not worth his cap hit in the final years of his contract.

Good catch on Hendricks and Korpikoski. 

True re Sekera but if he's worth it in the first two years it would look pretty odd not to protect him. Plus - if this were the case, could we not trade him rather than lose him for nothing?

If he doesn't play up to hsi contract in years 1 & 2 I guess it's a different story. 

2017?  Protected List?

Even so, Oilers need to start planning now on what players need to be protected and which ones need to be left exposed.

Quite frankly, the expansion draft (if there even is one?  I am unaware of any definitive announcement from the league .... has there been one?) will drive the necessity to finally get closure on choices ... stop the incessant "evaluation" of talent, and finally issue a report card.  Decide who is found wanting, and move them before protecting them or letting them go for nothing becomes an issue.

But until an official league announcement .... planning for the apocalypse is really not that necessary ...... the sky isn't falling.

Another important question: will having a NMC cover expansion drafts? Maybe they are already unclaimable

Another important question: will having a NMC cover expansion drafts? Maybe they are already unclaimable

In the last expansion this was the rule:

Players with no-movement and/or no-trade clauses will not be eligible to be left unprotected by their current team, unless the player agrees to waive the clause.

What this means is that these players had to be included in your list of allotted number of protected players.

No getting out of mistakes that way.

Just unprotect or make available.... Nikitin, Purcell, Ference,

we can't do that with Ference.

it's worth noting that McDavid , Draisaitl ,  Brossoit . Nurse , Reinhart and all the other prospects won't be eligible for the expansion draft .

Why wouldn't they be?  We have no certainty as to when it will actually happen, nor do we know if the same rules will apply if it does.

Why wouldn't they be? We have no certainty as to when it will actually happen, nor do we know if the same rules will apply if it does.

All previous expansion drafts have protected younger players, and it is in the leagues best interest to continue to do so

we can't do that with Ference.

wow if true then we buy him out.  There's no way we're protecting Ference.