Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ConnorFutureGM

Expansion: Oilers Protected List

261 posts in this topic

I'm hoping PC entices LV with Pouliot by adding a draft pick in the deal to lose the 4.5million salary for next 2 seasons. We can deal with Faynes for 1 more season and put him in the minors but can still afford his contract but once Mcdavids kicks in after this year it will make things much more tighter the year after with Eberle and RNH steep contracts still on the team. But if Ebs turns out being worth keeping and if we can do a bridge deal with Nurse and Bennett until we can resign Eberle for cheaper than we have a better chance to evaluate our defense since they tend to take longer to develop. It would be nice if the cap goes up enough and Mcdavid and Draisaitl sign for contracts that won't kill us so we can keep the core together because they will make more money on other ventures with sports drinks commercials etc. Draisaitl is already Germany's newest hero and Mcdavids is Canada's so in a perfect world we can keep our best guys together long term then we can staŕt another dynasty again wich no other team can and win cups over the next few years! I know it may never work but we do have some good talent evolving in the minors ready to jump up soon as there's space, going to be exciting future for this team!

It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we offer Vegas a draft pick (maybe as high as our 2nd rounder next year - we don't have one this year remember) to Vegas if they take Pouliot. It wouldn't hurt and from Vegas's end, they get a Vet LW who only has two years and whom they may be able to move for more draft picks at the trading deadline in the last year of his contract. That's what Vegas, and any expansion team, needs to do. Load up on draft picks and develop their own players. That's what Nashville did. That's what Ottawa did (and yes they did suffer their first couple of years in the league). 

Bottom line is you can't try to win the Stanley Cup in year 3 (which I think the owner is promising) - you just can't. You need to develop a strong core first. By getting the Chicago Wolves to be their farm team (at first it was reported they were going to share but this is a huge win for them IMO) well, that's the first start. 

So you never know - but it would have to be a second round pick to take on Pou's contract. Furthermore, there are most likely other teams doing the same thing (offering them a high draft pick to take on a short term salary dump) so McPhee can only do so much of that - most likely two players at the very most. It could be someone makes them a better offere (may a 25th to 31st 1st round pick in this draft). 

I don't want to give up a draft pick to get rid of Pou. Rather he got bought out or buried, we're already short a pick or two

Posted (edited)

Does paying a team to take a player off your hands ... i.e. the suggestion to GIVE a draft pick to Las Vegas as a payment for them taking a problem contract away ... Does this actually comply with the current CBA? (I doubt it does)

I can't see the Player's Association agreeing to that .... or the rest of the Owners for that matter.  Seems to breech all kinds of Ethical standards to me (looking to capitalize on un-intended loop holes at best, like excessively front loaded, massively long contracts, of a couple CBAs ago).

Edited by DeutchOil

1 hour ago, DeutchOil said:

Does paying a team to take a player off your hands ... i.e. the suggestion to GIVE a draft pick to Las Vegas as a payment for them taking a problem contract away ... Does this actually comply with the current CBA? (I doubt it does)

I can't see the Player's Association agreeing to that .... or the rest of the Owners for that matter.  Seems to breech all kinds of Ethical standards to me (looking to capitalize on un-intended loop holes at best, like excessively front loaded, massively long contracts, of a couple CBAs ago).

It's hidden.

Las Vegas trades Joe Blow (4th liner) for Pouliot and a second pick

Does anyone know if there is anything in the expansion draft about LTIR players with a NMC?  Sekera is out of commission for a very long time.  Is it only after July 1 that he could be put on LTIR?  It would be great if we could slide him off the protection list due to a loop hole of that nature and protect someone else too.

21 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

Yep - I heard the hockey insiders talking about that quite a bit. Even on this particular subject. You can offer them a draft pick to not pick a certain player, or to take another player off your roster. As Yuke says, you'd just 'hide' it in the guise of a trade. The NHLPA is gaining 23 more jobs, that's 23 more players paying dues to the NHLPA - if the owners want his loop hole in, the NHLPA won't say 'boo'. More teams is better for them and this is a compromise they all are more than happy to live with. And don't forget - it's not like Vegas will necessarily be your final stop. As mentioned in this - Pouliot could be traded to a Cup contending (or playoff contending) team for a 2nd round pick in his last year netting Vegas two picks and the player a chance at the Cup again - win/win for both

11 hours ago, oilers8 said:

Does anyone know if there is anything in the expansion draft about LTIR players with a NMC?  Sekera is out of commission for a very long time.  Is it only after July 1 that he could be put on LTIR?  It would be great if we could slide him off the protection list due to a loop hole of that nature and protect someone else too.

Excellent question but no - you can't place a player on the LTIR unless they are on your active roster to start the season. That's how it works. Like Ference this past year - he had to be on our roster for 24 hours once it was set after training camp before he could be moved to the LTIR - and his salary counted against the cap - we just got a relief (bump) on the Salary cap once we moved him to the LTIR. So, technically, surgery or not - Sekera is on our active roster AND has a NTC (or NMC clause not sure which) and therefore must be protected. 

Sekera has a full NMC.

In 2019/2020, it becomes a Modified NTC with a list of 15 teams he can be traded to.

I'm happy we have been signing other players as of late so we can perhaps grease the wheel to have LV pick Pouliot. I know we have no 2nd pick because we have PC now but 2-3rd rd picks and 2-5th round so let's hope we could even offer a 2nd round pick plus Pouliot and get a decent 3c or perhaps a defenseman that they got from another team, Maybe even our 1st rd pick if we can get the right guy!

No surprises on the protected list today...................

Salary cap went up 2million to 75million so that helps a bit for our team,kinda excited about expansion draft cuz it could really hurt some teams and help others depending how teams are working with LV! We need Pouliot gone to help with our cap relief!