The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Coffey2Gretzky

YES OR NO: to Ads on NHL Jerseys?

YES OR NO: to Ads on NHL Jerseys?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Should the League allow ads on Jerseys?

• NO
    • YES

If you stop watching hockey because there are ads on jerseys, you're watching for the wrong reasons.

I won't really argue with that, but the bottom line is having ads on the jerseys still risk upsetting thousands of fans nationwide for tarnishing their team's jersey. Not only will fans be very vocal about it, but merchandise sales would plummet as well...and for this very reason:

I imagine sales of new jerseys (official & replica)would plummet. Why wear it if the team & player seem to be an afterthought rather than the reason for puchase. Fans buy gear to identify with their team & favorite players not to be a walking billboard for companies they may not even like.

There is nothing wrong with being upset about ads going on the jerseys. That being said, the NHL is a business, and they're not making as much money as other sports in America (NFL, NBA, etc) so taking a risk to increase profit seems like a logical step for them. It's probably why they're trying to be the first to put a team in Vegas, too.

I just find it irrational and immature for someone to proclaim they will stop watching the NHL altogether just because the jersey looks a little different.

Well , as i stated earlier, why couldn't the companies plaster their logos on people , head to toe and make them walk around the concourses? Or maybe plaster the pregame , intermission, and postage shows with all kinds of logos? maybe dedicate the entire post game show to logos, play them on slides, maybe with music?....

Because that suggestion is overly dramatic and silly, which detracts from the argument you're trying to make.

If you stop watching hockey because there are ads on jerseys, you're watching for the wrong reasons.

I won't really argue with that, but the bottom line is having ads on the jerseys still risk upsetting thousands of fans nationwide for tarnishing their team's jersey. Not only will fans be very vocal about it, but merchandise sales would plummet as well...and for this very reason:

I imagine sales of new jerseys (official & replica)would plummet. Why wear it if the team & player seem to be an afterthought rather than the reason for puchase. Fans buy gear to identify with their team & favorite players not to be a walking billboard for companies they may not even like.

There is nothing wrong with being upset about ads going on the jerseys. That being said, the NHL is a business, and they're not making as much money as other sports in America (NFL, NBA, etc) so taking a risk to increase profit seems like a logical step for them. It's probably why they're trying to be the first to put a team in Vegas, too.

I just find it irrational and immature for someone to proclaim they will stop watching the NHL altogether just because the jersey looks a little different.

Well , as i stated earlier, why couldn't the companies plaster their logos on people , head to toe and make them walk around the concourses? Or maybe plaster the pregame , intermission, and postage shows with all kinds of logos? maybe dedicate the entire post game show to logos, play them on slides, maybe with music?....

Because that suggestion is overly dramatic and silly, which detracts from the argument you're trying to make.

Having all kinds of logos on a jersey is more silly imo.

..Isnt flashing a corporate logo somewhere during a commercial enough?

img-168569-m.jpg

C2G, I understand where you're coming from. There is already so much advertising that happens, and plenty of other opportunity to get your brand out there. Putting ads on jerseys should be the last thing they look at doing.

However, I'm simply playing devils advocate here. Try to view this situation from the other side of the fence. The people at the top of these companies haven't reached their positions by looking at annual profit margins and simply thinking 'that's good enough'. They are constantly trying to find ways to make more money each and every season.

Rule changes to increase scoring, exclusive TV rights for Rogers, teams constantly changing logos and colours. Everything is done to increase the bottom line.

As others have said, it's more a matter of when they do it, and how it's introduced to ensure they appease fans concerns and achieve maximum profit in the process.

Some fans simply just like traditions to be respected and maintained.  If you change everything over the years little by little you don't have the same product anymore.  I get it's a business but the NHL isn't so starved for cash it would need to plaster the jerseys to make a profit.

As a fan I simply can't respect a league that plasters their jerseys with logos and disrespects the history of the game. Say what you want about MLB revenues, there was a time when the MLB was a small league too, and they didn't get where they are now by making their teams go full nascar in order to make as much money as they good immediately. I have a lot of respect for the way MLB acts and the product it puts out, I wish the NHL could at least try to do the same.

And I do watch the game to see the best players on earth, but if the format it is presented in is absured and I can't respect it, then I can't watch.

Would you still watch if they put a semi-transparent splash ad over the screen all game? What if the ice was entirely covered in ads that prevented you from seeing the puck? What if goalie masks were no longer personalized, buy had sponsors?

For me, it's the small traditions and historic parts of the game that make it unique. Sorry if I'm "immature"

Depends on how much you're paying to flash that logo, C2G.

A sponsor would pay much more to have their logo on the jersey, providing a constant presence throughout the game, and anytime someone wears one on the street.

I firmly believe major sponsors know that turning NHL jerseys into Nascar style would yield negative returns.  Other than the corner spot, we could also see what seems common in the KHL:  The shirt sponsor taking up the space at the bottom of the jersey (bottom of the backside is used as well).  I think I prefer that - having the logo (or player number) above the ad firmly states what is more important, while still giving valuable, visible space to the sponsor.

fantyleaguecupbgnocchi_zpsd26307cf.png

Credits to UnrefinedCrude for the signature.  Big thanks!

Hemer, would you still watch if they added subtle ads on the jersey similar to those in the CFL?

Edit: I have no respect for MLB considering they had an entire generation of steroid users completely skew the record books and Hall of Fame, however they refuse to let Pete Rose in the Hall because he bet on his own team to win games.

Edited by LHII

Some fans simply just like traditions to be respected and maintained.  If you change everything over the years little by little you don't have the same product anymore.  I get it's a business but the NHL isn't so starved for cash it would need to plaster the jerseys to make a profit.

If it were done bit by bit even us traditionalists could accept changes but since the 2004-05 lockout we've seen many rules change & the entire point system bastardized.

I'm old enough to remember white boards & ice where only the lines and dots were visible through a clear surface. Ads on both happened but weren't so intrusive that they changed what we were viewing.

If ads on the sweaters & the 1s on the ice end up so cluttered that you can't see the puck (maybe a chance for Fox to bring back the glow puck :th_shock: ) newer fans will be so used to those that they can identify teams, players & follow the play that it won't matter. OTOH, the newbies might find the game so hard to follow they just tune out.

Hemer, would you still watch if they added subtle ads on the jersey similar to those in the CFL?

Edit: I have no respect for MLB considering they had an entire generation of steroid users completely skew the record books and Hall of Fame, however they refuse to let Pete Rose in the Hall because he bet on his own team to win games.

I could get used to the CFL style ads but I would no longer buy jerseys or other liscensed products. And while the steroid era tarnished the record books, it remains to be seen if the hall of fame will be filled with players whose use of PEDs is known. I'm guessing it won't be. As for Pete Rose, he will probably get in some day. But the anti-gambling rule is the very well spelled out by the MLB, he knew what he was risking by breaking it. Just because it happened a long time ago doesn't nessesarily mean the league has to forgive it. But anyway, that's off topic and a discussion for anothe thread at a different time. Id rather own and look at a jersey free of ads than one with ads, and that has to count for something since I'm paying to own/look at it

I only mentioned doping and Pete Rose because you said you respect the way MLB acts and the product it puts out. I don't understand the logic with which a major sports league earns, or loses, your respect, but it's your decision and its not my place to argue it.

Should the NHL (inevitably) decide to move forward with placing ads on jerseys, it will be after extensive research has been done to convince them the profit earned will out weight the loss of a few fans who aren't willing to accept change.

I only mentioned doping and Pete Rose because you said you respect the way MLB acts and the product it puts out. I don't understand the logic with which a major sports league earns, or loses, your respect, but it's your decision and its not my place to argue it.

Should the NHL (inevitably) decide to move forward with placing ads on jerseys, it will be after extensive research has been done to convince them the profit earned will out weight the loss of a few fans who aren't willing to accept change.

I would bet you...Jersey sales (with ad logos) will plummet...Maybe even reducing the ad deal into a net loss. ..

img-168569-m.jpg

I don't make bets with strangers online, however I'm confident that although there may be an initial drop in sales, the overall increase in profit will far outweigh that minimal loss. The money they receive from the companies alone for having the opportunity to place ads on jerseys will probably outweigh the loss from sales in itself.

I'm sure there were people saying they will never watch hockey again if ads go on the boards. And even more people saying they will never watch hockey again if ads go on the ice. Needless to say the league is in a much better place now than it was when those changes occurred.

As a fan I simply can't respect a league that plasters their jerseys with logos and disrespects the history of the game. Say what you want about MLB revenues, there was a time when the MLB was a small league too, and they didn't get where they are now by making their teams go full nascar in order to make as much money as they good immediately. I have a lot of respect for the way MLB acts and the product it puts out, I wish the NHL could at least try to do the same.

And I do watch the game to see the best players on earth, but if the format it is presented in is absured and I can't respect it, then I can't watch.

Would you still watch if they put a semi-transparent splash ad over the screen all game? What if the ice was entirely covered in ads that prevented you from seeing the puck? What if goalie masks were no longer personalized, buy had sponsors?

For me, it's the small traditions and historic parts of the game that make it unique. Sorry if I'm "immature"

that example of the semi transparent ad makes no sense and doesn't apply to advertising on jerseys.  That kind of ad literally gets in the way.  Ads on jerseys is bad fashion but doesn't impact the actual on ice product.

As for traditions, that went out the window as soon as they introduced TV timeouts, which weren't always a thing, and ads are now splashed over everything other than the jerseys now anyway.  If introducing jersey advertising meant we could get rid of TV commercials mid-period, then would you be so against it then?  TV ads are much like those semi-transparent ads you are suggesting since they actually interrupt the game in disturb the coaching battle of managing player energy.  What if introducing jersey ads meant that ticket prices went down?   What if the economy tanked and they needed money from somewhere or else teams like Winnipeg would fold?  It's not so easy now is it?

Of course we as fans get nothing out of ads themselves so we would always vote against ads if it's just about our satisfaction, so the poll in this thread is a bit meaningless since it doesn't set up these types of scenarios that make the question interesting.

If ads go on jerseys, then game ticket prices absolutely must come down.

Say goodbye to merchandise revenue too.

The spectator market must be quite different in Europe, to have all that advertising tolerated and accepted.

How awesome would it be to see "Rexall" splattered all over the Flames Jersey. 

We could even see the richer NHL teams promote their brand on other NHL Jersey like the LEAFS on the Panters Jersey or the HABS on the Arizona Jersey,.

Heck why stop there we could see Players advertise on other players jerseys, Kane on Toews (I think he'd like that), Toews on Kane. Why stop there how about "Hall" stitched on the upper sleeve of Katz's suits - the money just goes round and round. You pay me I pay you, I pay you you pay me and that way we keep it in the family.

How awesome would it be to see "Rexall" splattered all over the Flames Jersey.

We could even see the richer NHL teams promote their brand on other NHL Jersey like the LEAFS on the Panters Jersey or the HABS on the Arizona Jersey,.

Heck why stop there we could see Players advertise on other players jerseys, Kane on Toews (I think he'd like that), Toews on Kane. Why stop there how about "Hall" stitched on the upper sleeve of Katz's suits - the money just goes round and round. You pay me I pay you, I pay you you pay me and that way we keep it in the family.

Other great ideas...How about....

Everytime when the referee or tv announcer is gonna speak or announce something.."this is brought to you by."....

and how about selling ads for player interviews? maybe the most famous or superstars will be worth more..(I wonder how much Stortini or Gilbert would bring in?)

Cover the cheerleaders head to toe  with ads and give them more airtime....

During the pregame,  intermission,  and post game shows....light up the entire background with logos, just show a silhouette of those who are talking.....change them at will and as needed....

And I'm sure there's other great ideas....

img-168569-m.jpg

I think it is ridiculous to have advertising on the jersey's.  I am also tired of all the adds on the ice as well.  Load up the boards but keep it off the jersey's and ice.  Reduce league salaries if you need all the advertising dollars just to get by.

If they go full Europe I won't watch anymore. There's enough commercials during the game, I don't need the game itself to be a commercial too.

Guess you don't truly love the Oilers and NHL :P
I do, but it's not unconditional. I can respect the league as long as it respects itself. Look at the MLB. You'll never see a player name on a Yankees jersey, let alone an add. In MLB the fans and tradition are more important than the last ounce of revenue. NHL should be the same.

If the NHL had the same number of fans and revenue stream as the MLB, then ad's wouldn't even be in the picture.

Maybe if the NHL acted like a reputable sports league, like MLB, it would be easier to grow the game. How many new fans are going to attracted to add-plastered clown suites over traditional jerseys. For me the tradition is the coolest part of MLB

If hockey wasn't so expensive to play for kids growing up, I'm sure it would be more popular. That's the reason why Soccer is so big worldwide. 

If they go full Europe I won't watch anymore. There's enough commercials during the game, I don't need the game itself to be a commercial too.

I do, but it's not unconditional. I can respect the league as long as it respects itself. Look at the MLB. You'll never see a player name on a Yankees jersey, let alone an add. In MLB the fans and tradition are more important than the last ounce of revenue. NHL should be the same.

If the NHL had the same number of fans and revenue stream as the MLB, then ad's wouldn't even be in the picture.

Maybe if the NHL acted like a reputable sports league, like MLB, it would be easier to grow the game. How many new fans are going to attracted to add-plastered clown suites over traditional jerseys. For me the tradition is the coolest part of MLB

If hockey wasn't so expensive to play for kids growing up, I'm sure it would be more popular. That's the reason why Soccer is so big worldwide.

I'm well aware. I played 10 years of minor hockey and my brother is about to play his first year for rep. It's expensive for sure, no denying it. I just don't see why the league can't act in a way that is respectful to its own past. Does anyone really want to see "Bell" plastered across any part of a Montreal Canadiens jersey? Ads on jerseys don't grow the game or make it more accessible to low-income family's. In fact, I would say they are a short-sighted cash grab that will slow the growth of the game.

Why not make the ads optional for each franchise on the management's discretion? Then teams like T.O and Montreal, who won't benefit, can pass while teams in terrible markets with no fans like Florida, Arizona, and the future team in Vegas can plaster as many ads on there jersey as they want?

I'm well aware. I played 10 years of minor hockey and my brother is about to play his first year for rep. It's expensive for sure, no denying it. I just don't see why the league can't act in a way that is respectful to its own past. Does anyone really want to see "Bell" plastered across any part of a Montreal Canadiens jersey? Ads on jerseys don't grow the game or make it more accessible to low-income family's. In fact, I would say they are a short-sighted cash grab that will slow the growth of the game.

Why not make the ads optional for each franchise on the management's discretion? Then teams like T.O and Montreal, who won't benefit, can pass while teams in terrible markets with no fans like Florida, Arizona, and the future team in Vegas can plaster as many ads on there jersey as they want?

Another great idea! I don't know why they have to make the ad jerseys mandatory league wide...The jerseys and the logo are the property of the teams right? Shouldnt they make that call whether to put ads on them or not, you would think?

img-168569-m.jpg

Another great idea! I don't know why they have to make the ad jerseys mandatory league wide...The jerseys and the logo are the property of the teams right? Shouldnt they make that call whether to put ads on them or not, you would think?

You're right.

I'm not saying I want ads.. All I'm saying is it's not really gonna affect me one way or another.

Edited by Hall-ikainen

If they did not work, money would not be spent on them. 

You may not buy the product, but you are aware of the brand.  The more presence a brand has, the more power it has. 

If the day comes that the sponsors take over, I hope that the Oilers aren't sponsored by IKEA. Can you imagine some of those furniture names on the backs of the jerseys? Mind you, having the penalty box filled with coloured balls might help manage aggressive behaviour.

The Future Ain't What It Used To Be

That would be far less valuable to the sponsor.  Joe 6-pack wearing your logo on the street isn't worth anywhere near McDavid wearing it on international TV. 

That would be far less valuable to the sponsor.  Joe 6-pack wearing your logo on the street isn't worth anywhere near McDavid wearing it on international TV. 

Ultimately, its the league (or the team) who would decide where logos can go on a jersey....The corporation can only request, so ultimately it would not be their call. In the end it would be a take it or leave it scenario!?.... :th_shrug:

img-168569-m.jpg