The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
MessierII

Ben Scrivens traded to Montreal for Zach Kassian

Not sure how I feel about this one.

No big loss losing Scrivy. Good luck Ben!

Kassian has definetly not been on Santa's "been good" list.

Hopefully he's overcome his demons and is ready to focus on hockey. He offers a much needed physicality element and could come in handy vs bruiser opponents.

Welcome to the Oil Zack. Protect this house! ☺

I'm glad Scrivens has found a new home, and Chiarelli has started making moves. It's low risk, high reward. Kassian is starting out in Bakersfield, probably on a conditioning stint. If he's in good shape, physically & mentally, I expect we'll see him in January. Oil can definitely use a guy who can put up 25-30 points and play with an edge. We'll see how this turns out.

Edited by EternalFrost

I think this turns out better for Ben than it does for us, either way we weren't seeing Ben in an Oilers Jersey again and I think we see very little of Zach in one so I guess the move is a no biggie.

What's with retaining 24% of the salary though?

Edited by oilerfan2011

In an unexpected, but welcome turn of events, the Oilers have also recalled Laurikainen from the Finnish Elite League, to pair up with Brossoit in Bakersfield. I'm eager to see how the kid does with an extended look in the AHL.

What's with retaining 24% of the salary though?

Montreal are hugging the cap limit.

Could be the last stop for Zack lots to prove and lots of people to prove wrong. He definitely has the talent , now to see how

Bad he wants to play hockey and how well the NHL rehab works.

Hopefully he gets a DUI on the way to the rink and that'll be the end of him.  Guy is a POS

On the other hand, I really wonder if he got Kassian to not only beef up the team. but if he works out, to ship Ebs out sooner than later. 

Edited by IvantheBad
  • Like 1

So lets see...The guy played with Hall in Winsor, winning it all at least once. Taylor vouched for the guy or there wouldn't of been a deal..This is a HUGE opportunity for Kassian.Contract year as well as a chance to earn a  roster spot on a team with an exciting future. So you've got a 24 yr, old power forward,thats has had some success in the NHL,giving it his all to give his career a boost..BIG TIME..This has got the makings of a storyline with a happy ending..And to this I say.."WELCOME TO OILER COUNTRY ZACK"..!!!.

I'm going to be physically ill. This guy is not right in the head and has earned himself title of my least favourite player

Clearly it's a "remains to be seen" deal that we could come out the winners in a huge way or we dumped a goalie we didn't need for a guy we can't use. There's little downside and potential for huge upside. 

IMO a lot of ZK's issues weren't helped by terrible Canuck management that never knew how to use or help this guy. If the Oilers actually work on him as a person and a hockey player, he could be a great addition to the Lander line and replace Gazdic. I like Luke as a person and his heart but let's be real, he brings very little to the table.

This could be brilliant or it could be Meh. It's up to the Oilers and the player himself.  

i think this could be a good trade..

more cap room..

Kassian is RFA RW that can play in the NHL

Purcell will be UFA after this season leaving a RW spot open (Kassian may not replace him but may bump others up)

we get a bigger forward 

in the long run could be a great move by our GM

^Considering we keep thinking Eberle is traded, and purcell plays well with Hall and Draisaitl, I think Purcell re signs for a reasonable amount.

My take is its a low risk high reward move. Scrivens wasn't doing anything but taking starts from Brossoit in Bakersfield for us so to dump him and pick up a guy who could be something we could really use in the future is a good move. If he can clean up his act and get back to being a 15ish goal physical presence then this will be a brilliant trade. If not he walks at the end of the year just like scrivvy was going to anyways.

So lets see...The guy played with Hall in Winsor, winning it all at least once. Taylor vouched for the guy or there wouldn't of been a deal..This is a HUGE opportunity for Kassian.Contract year as well as a chance to earn a  roster spot on a team with an exciting future. So you've got a 24 yr, old power forward,thats has had some success in the NHL,giving it his all to give his career a boost..BIG TIME..This has got the makings of a storyline with a happy ending..And to this I say.."WELCOME TO OILER COUNTRY ZACK"..!!!.

Exactly...

Welcome Kassian! We need a guy with your style. Fresh start man. Take advantage.

If he could nevermind the side show shenanigans and just play hockey and be NASTY, he'd be a great acquisition..Didn't he play on the top line for awhile in Vancouver and scored some goals??.....Mr Kassian govern yourself accordingly, take advantage of this opportunity to be back in the NHL...Bring that physicality to the team...WELCOME! ... (send Lander down now)

whatever....I guess I'll have to live by my own words

"I don't care who is on the team, I just want them to win"

He was on my list of not well liked Players to FOG but I think with our management and the leaders of young guys the same age Kassian will have that support and peer system here. He probably is very aware from his agent and others he has gone off the tracks and his NHL days could be over abruptly if he does not change. The onus is on the player.... I hope he changes as it would help the team and himself. Mark my words if he can get things sorted out by next year he will be a fan favorite as he brings a game we have not seen in these parts in a long-long time.

The jury is out on this one for me, but good luck to Ben on another shot at the big league. 

And Bronco called this trade in chat last night, thought I'd toss that out there. Lol

I'm going to be physically ill. This guy is not right in the head and has earned himself title of my least favourite player

Now you're gonna find out how fun it is to have him on your side, or rather to be on his side!...We'll be loving him and opponent fans will be hating him!

Low risk, high reward. If Kassian plays to his potential he is exactly what we need. Problem is his head is in a bit of a mess right now. Hopefully it works out for us, but if it doesn't it is not a big deal.

I'm with Fog2. I just want the Oilers to win.

If Kassian helps then good move PC.

Kassian obviously needs some counseling.

The fact that he's 24 means he has many years ahead of him if he get's his head on straight.

Last stop; Edmonton.

Edited by Telly-Belly

We definitely need some grit in this lineup. This either works out well or ends up being a nothing trade with no up or down side. Worth the shot IMO.

We definitely need some grit in this lineup. This either works out well or ends up being a nothing trade with no up or down side. Worth the shot IMO.

Couldn't be stated any better!