The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
oilersfaninca

Dennis Wideman vs. Linesman

watch this vid at the 1:12 mark, we see Michael Peca lightly grab the referee by the arm to question why there was no call when he was dumped. He was kicked from the game, and given a 5 game suspension. For that.

If Wideman gets away with anything less than 25 games, I will thoroughly be disgusted.

Wideman was hit just before this incident. His head banged into the glass and he's used this as part of his defense for being woozy and not knowing the linesman was there until the last minute.

This would bring the hammer down on the Flames for not removing him from the bench as per league concussion protocol.

Granted, Wideman has a clean track record, but if Kassian gets suspended for a far lesser infraction involving the linesman because of who he is, then Wideman gets suspended in spite of who he is. He adjusted his stride and actually sped up before bringing his hands up to initiate contact. If it's an accident, you stand over the linesman, apologize and help him up, not continue to the bench and act like it never happened.

Edited by marleysouth

I'm with ya Bronco. If they buy the I didn't know what to do, I was disoriented BS, I'll puke.

Not sure why the suspension wasn't handed out today.

Edited by Oilhockeyfan

I think they want to talk to the linesman first and review the tape from the rest of the game to see if there was any "conversation" that may have occurred to back up an intent to injure suspension. On the NHL radio network today they reported that the linesman went to the hospital following the game. That would result in the minimum suspension being 20 games rather than 10

I'm with ya Bronco. If they buy the I didn't know what to do, I was disoriented BS, I'll puke.

They don't want it overshadowing their precious All Star weekend.

I think they want to talk to the linesman first and review the tape from the rest of the game to see if there was any "conversation" that may have occurred to back up an intent to injure suspension. On the NHL radio network today they reported that the linesman went to the hospital following the game. That would result in the minimum suspension being 20 games rather than 10

I didn't know he was taken to the hospital. That's likely an important piece of info. Thanks

They don't want it overshadowing their precious All Star weekend.

If that was the case they would have done something about it immediately so they could move on. Right now there are more questions than answers, which will linger until this is resolved after the break. 

watch this vid at the 1:12 mark, we see Michael Peca lightly grab the referee by the arm to question why there was no call when he was dumped. He was kicked from the game, and given a 5 game suspension. For that.

If Wideman gets away with anything less than 25 games, I will thoroughly be disgusted.

Same Linesman..... Weber got nothing...

Edited by DirtyDeeds

i don't think that was the same hit wears talking about with Wideman. Wideman used his stick to crosscheck the guy high. In this clip the linesman cut in and it looks to be more of a collision.

Neither Wideman nor the linesman should have continued on in that game.

They both should have been sent to a quiet room as per NHL concussion protocol.

On Bob Stauffer's show, a listener called in with this:  "Clayton Stoner only got a $10,000.00 fine for illegally hunting a grizzly.  What's Wideman going to get for taking a zebra?"

Wideman was hit just before this incident. His head banged into the glass and he's used this as part of his defense for being woozy and not knowing the linesman was there until the last minute.

This would bring the hammer down on the Flames for not removing him from the bench as per league concussion protocol.

Granted, Wideman has a clean track record, but if Kassian gets suspended for a far lesser infraction involving the linesman because of who he is, then Wideman gets suspended in spite of who he is. He adjusted his stride and actually sped up before bringing his hands up to initiate contact. If it's an accident, you stand over the linesman, apologize and help him up, not continue to the bench and act like it never happened.

I don't think so, unless the Flames and Wideman have come up with this excuse way after the fact (knowing this is the only "out" for him.)  If you listen to his interview after the game all he says is he took a hard hit and hurt his SHOULDER.  No mention of being woozy or concussed. So in my book (and from his subsequent actions on the bench) he's burned the head-injury excuse.

The linesman is now following concussion protocol. They had that on the radio in Calgary this morning. Sorry no link.

It did look like his helmet grazed the top of the boards, but thankfully it didn't make solid contact.  Hopefully he's ok.  THey don't deserved that kind of treatment.  I mean that linesman was an older guy (late 40's, early 50's) from the look of his face.

So maybe someone smarter than me can explain why the fact there wasn't a penalty called on the play makes one bit of difference on the punishment.  I have read and heard several so-called experts mention this.  Refs miss stuff all the time--especially behind the play.  

So maybe someone smarter than me can explain why the fact there wasn't a penalty called on the play makes one bit of difference on the punishment.  I have read and heard several so-called experts mention this.  Refs miss stuff all the time--especially behind the play.

yup, maybe the Flames haven't noticed this fact as they are the third least penalized team in the league and get 9th most power plays.

Most supposed pundits who have had their say/opinion on what should happen are going by Rule 40.x (below) however...

09d34ce9c4f4c66bdfa09806816781a8.jpg

Rule 40 may not even apply because no misconduct penalty was called.

08c3a4be5bc8bf2f65c9a9ddb86dd0d3.png

I think Wideman will get some games as suspension(up to 10) simply from the contact with an official.

Relooking at the video I am now of the opinion it wasn't even a cross check. The hands are not horizontal the stick is almost straight up. He is pushing him off not cross checking the linesman.

Good read on this incident:

http://www.flamesfrom80feet.ca/

pushing him off of what?

Maybe not a cross-check, but I do that IRL and I'm getting arrested.

Pushing him off of "the path" from "where he was" to the bench "where he wanted to go" .

pushing him off of what?

Pushing him off of "the path" from "where he was" to the bench "where he wanted to go" .

Flames fans defending this are embarrassing. This was nothing like the Weber hit, in that he was actually making a play for a puck.

This was intentional.

Lysiak got 20 games for tripping Ron Foyt, This was a more dangerous hit. 

less that 20 games will show that your owners being Bettman's shadow during 2 lockouts pays dividends.

pushing him off of what?

Flames fans defending this are embarrassing. This was nothing like the Weber hit, in that he was actually making a play for a puck.

This was intentional.

less that 20 games will show that your owners being Bettman's shadow during 2 lockouts pays dividends.

You mean compared to the Oiler fans that had the tar & feathers out from the beginning? :th_shock:

pushing him off of what?

This was intentional.

You mean compared to the Oiler fans that had the tar & feathers out from the beginning? :th_shock:

despite the once rivalry, in this case oiler fans as well as most others who saw a deliberate hit with an intent to harm the linesman, are correct.   In my opinion, coming out and taking Widemans side of this is akin to defending the indefensible. 

Edited by bronco73

pushing him off of what?

This was intentional.

despite the once rivalry, in this case oiler fans as well as most others who saw a deliberate hit with an intent to harm the linesman, are correct.   In my opinion, coming out and taking Widemans side of this is akin to defending the indefensible. 

If this was a "hit with intent to injure", a penalty would have been called. This point "Oiler Fans" and others do not consider.

FF is right, the Tar and Feathers have been out from the beginning here.

If this incident was indefensible, then why was no penalty assessed on it?? Take your rivalry blinders off Bronco.

Wideman made a serious error and should pay for it. He hopefully didn't intend to injure anyone, but he should not have done what he did - that's why it happens, um, never - because it's wrong. He's lucky the linesman did not smash his face or something - he was, understandably, completely unprepared for the hit. This was a dumb move made by a pouting and unnecessarily aggressive player at the wrong time - the severity of the injury is the only difference between this and something like Bertuzzi. If Steve Moore had bounced back up, it would've been a simple suspension and nothing more. Had this linesman went down wrong it would have been a suspension, a court case, and a lifetime of regret for Wideman. It was a big, bad mistake without an excuse.