The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
MessierII

Ziyat Paigin

I'm surprised there isn't more buzz over this guy on this board. We drafted him in the 7th round last year as a 20 year old overager. The 6'6" 209lb left shooting D man had a monster year in the KHL scoring 27 points in 37 games. Those are very impressive numbers for any young player in the KHL let alone a D man. To put it into perspective Panarin didn't have that good of numbers at age 21 in the same league and Panarin is a forward.

With Paigin, Bear and Jones Chiarelli is looking like a genius with all these late round steals. All 3 of these guys are trending to be nhlers if they can build off these monster seasons.

I guess it's becuase there's really not much info on him around.

But judging by those numbers he does look a promising player. But will he translate well to the NHL?? Anton Belov was a top flight KHL D that couldn't really make it work here. He definitely had his issues though, and i'd like to know what this kids issues are.

But judging by those numbers he does look a promising player. But will he translate well to the NHL?? Anton Belov was a top flight KHL D that couldn't really make it work here. He definitely had his issues though, and i'd like to know what this kids issues are.

That's true but Anton Belov took till he was about 26 before he really broke out in the league. The numbers this kid is putting up at a young age is rare.

I've said it before, and I'm gonna say it again. I bet if Belov had a proper NHL coach, he would have done A LOT better than he did. I bet Belov is use to the "do what you do best" type of coaching, not the "I'm gonna force you to do what you're not meant to do" type of coaching Eakins did. SO, if he had Nelson or Krueger, he would have done better. IMO.

I've said it before, and I'm gonna say it again. I bet if Belov had a proper NHL coach, he would have done A LOT better than he did. I bet Belov is use to the "do what you do best" type of coaching, not the "I'm gonna force you to do what you're not meant to do" type of coaching Eakins did. SO, if he had Nelson or Krueger, he would have done better. IMO.

I bet all of our players would have done better with a different coach then Dallas Eakin!! I honestly think he cost us a couple years of positive development.

Edited by Mcsharpe4
  • Like 1

t

This guy plays a Pronger style game.Yes,its an early comparison but check out his play at the world juniors.I think the scouts soured on him when he fired his stick in the crowd after a OT lose.To me it showed the "@#$% I hate losing" side of him.Great late round pick...Glad he had a good year..Hell be front and centre at the prospect camp..Good post Mess..!!

Whether ZP pans out or not, I'm pleased to see the Oilers extending their scouting beyond former Oil Kings (last regime). He does sound promising and worth a long look. Need to see how ha game translates to the North American. Keep bringing 'em.

Edited by RapierShot

.I think the scouts soured on him when he fired his stick in the crowd after a OT lose.....To me it showed the "@#$% I hate losing" side of him.Great ..!!

Maybe these kinda guys have been falling through the cracks because scouts had no interest in them because of their "perceived" attitude problem...That could be the case, look at how many of our boys don't seem to mind losing...starting with Ebs, Yak, Nuge even...amongst others?...

Ill take the guy who goes bonkers, gets mad and throws his stick into the stands for a loss any day!..

I can't remember who said it but something along the lines of "nice guys are great but we need a couple jerk holes that can play hockey". Loosely paraphrased. If Mr Paigen can be that I'm OK with it

Edited by RenJob

Hey Mess - great job digging that up. He did that in the KHL - their top league, not a sub/junior league? That is impressive. That's very impressive. Of course, Bohgdan Yakimov and Anton Slepyshev were very impressive in the KHL too. They are struggling mightily over here (especially Yakimov who right now is not looking like he will pan out at all). It's a totally different game here and one Paigan will have to adapt to. 

Not trying to be a downer here, but I'm soured on Russian prospects right now. I'll wait to see what (if anything) he does here before I get excited. But at least he's a 'prospect' from the 7th round - that is encouraging.

He's got the size. It appears he has skill.  How quick are his head and feet?  That will determine if he can make it over here.

Hey Mess - great job digging that up. He did that in the KHL - their top league, not a sub/junior league? That is impressive. That's very impressive. Of course, Bohgdan Yakimov and Anton Slepyshev were very impressive in the KHL too. They are struggling mightily over here (especially Yakimov who right now is not looking like he will pan out at all). It's a totally different game here and one Paigan will have to adapt to. 

Not trying to be a downer here, but I'm soured on Russian prospects right now. I'll wait to see what (if anything) he does here before I get excited. But at least he's a 'prospect' from the 7th round - that is encouraging.

Take this for what you will guys but Russian dman do not usually pan out...I mean like at all.  When you look at the history of the NHL, like 6 Russian born dman have been top end caliber.  That's it.  Could it be the games are vastly different?  Yet forwards tend to flourish here like crazy for some reason.

But I sure hope this kid pans out.  He looks like a beast back there.  The Russian Pronger lol

Edited by IvantheBad

Take this for what you will guys but Russian dman do not usually pan out...I mean like at all.  When you look at the history of the NHL, like 6 Russian born dman have been top end caliber.  That's it.  Could it be the games are vastly different?  Yet forwards tend to flourish here like crazy.

Can you name the best six Russian D men who played in the NHL Ivan?

Can you name the best six Russian D men who played in the NHL Ivan?

Sure.  Gonchar, Zubov, Markov, Mironov, Fetisov,  Then you have a handful of mid level guys like Kasparitis and Emelin.  There are a few up and comers too like Marchenko and Zadorov.  But that's really it. If I missed anyone I'm not sure.  But that's still a really small %

Edited by IvantheBad
  • Like 1

Sure.  Gonchar, Zubov, Markov, Mironov, Fetisov,  Then you have a handful of mid level guys like Kasparitis and Emelin.  There are a few up and comers too like Marchenko and Zadorov.  But that's really it. If I missed anyone I'm not sure.  But that's still a really small %

Oh yeah, you missed Fetisov's partner, damn if I can remember his name now. He was a beast - didn't have the offense of Fetisov but he was far and away the best defensive dman ever to come out of Russia. He got brain damage I remember that, and Detroit had a very nice ceremony for him. I think his name was Konstantinov or something like that. He was  great.

And who can forget the great Wpg Jet who later became an Oiler - Igor Ulanov. Well, I say that tongue in cheek - his talent was low but he had a huge heart and he would hit anything that moved. 

I'm just not all that thrilled with 'our' scouting of Russian talent. Seems like we pick the duds. 

Oh yeah, you missed Fetisov's partner, damn if I can remember his name now. He was a beast - didn't have the offense of Fetisov but he was far and away the best defensive dman ever to come out of Russia. He got brain damage I remember that, and Detroit had a very nice ceremony for him. I think his name was Konstantinov or something like that. He was  great.

And who can forget the great Wpg Jet who later became an Oiler - Igor Ulanov. Well, I say that tongue in cheek - his talent was low but he had a huge heart and he would hit anything that moved. 

I'm just not all that thrilled with 'our' scouting of Russian talent. Seems like we pick the duds. 

Nice pull OJF.  Right on both counts.  Konstantinov got hurt in a limo wreck.  Sad day in hockey, he was awesome.  

But still, I wonder why the defensive game doesn't translate?  People argue Belov was due to Eakins, but then you have Medvedev in Philly this year, same scenario, coaches holding them back.  Are the coaches wrong??

Nice pull OJF.  Right on both counts.  Konstantinov got hurt in a limo wreck.  Sad day in hockey, he was awesome.  

But still, I wonder why the defensive game doesn't translate?  People argue Belov was due to Eakins, but then you have Medvedev in Philly this year, same scenario, coaches holding them back.  Are the coaches wrong??

yeah that's all from memory - just don't ask me anything recent lol. 

And yeah UJ - who's that? I heard Paigin was playing in the world championships. Looking forward to seeing how he does. 

Is Paigin at the rookie camp?

Did not see him on the list: http://oilers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=888058, was also wondering about him. Put up some pretty impressive number in the KHL. I believe he has one year left on his KHL contract. Interesting prospect based on last years stats. Will definitely be following his progress and hope for anything strong year offensively. 

One day an Oiler late round draft pick will turn into a NHL star maybe this guy can be our Parayko. Here's hoping. 

Is Paigin at the rookie camp?

I don't think so. He wasn't listed to play in the scrimmage last night anyway...

Edit) oh Notyourbruh must have posted just before me. What he said. Lol

Edited by HappyHappy

I read that his KHL contract is up April 30th . If he does come to Canada , Bakersfield will have 4 interesting prospects (Jones,Bear,Mantha & Paigin) to keep an eye on .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

Reinhart-Oesterle

Musil-Bear

Jones-Mantha/Paigin

?

Don't forget , Simpson , Berglund , Betker , Cairns , Lagesson , Marino & Niemelainen . There's a ton of defensive prospects .

1 minute ago, billpayor said:

Don't forget , Simpson , Berglund , Betker , Cairns , Lagesson , Marino & Niemelainen . There's a ton of defensive prospects .

Right haha. It's gonna be a log jam down there.

He is BIG .... I don't get excited by BIG  .... nor flashy small Euro.  I get excited by Character ... no matter the size.

If he has that .... I will be excited.

On 3/31/2017 at 9:58 AM, billpayor said:

Niemelainen is the one we stole IMO.  He's gonna be good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

He is BIG .... I don't get excited by BIG  .... nor flashy small Euro.  I get excited by Character ... no matter the size.

If he has that .... I will be excited.

He was HK Sochi's best dman last year. Ran into an injury this season, so it held him back a bit. 

HK Sochi had the 4th most points overall in the KHL last season as well. They traded Paigin, dropped to 14th this season.

Edited by BL4NKF4CE