The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Coffey2Gretzky

Jesse Puljujarvi Welcome Thread

I wouldn't trade him. Call his bluff. Likely he'll come back to play for Edmonton in the fall and if not then he can refine his game in Europe and the Oilers retain his NHL rights. Won't get much for him if they trade him now with what little he has done.

Thinking Puli will be better after a surgery, one that is said to be hereditary is wishful thinking. His value has dropped 3 straight seasons, holding on to him so his value drops further is the same thing they did with Yakupov. He’s a bust, move on.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Thinking Puli will be better after a surgery, one that is said to be hereditary is wishful thinking. His value has dropped 3 straight seasons, holding on to him so his value drops further is the same thing they did with Yakupov. He’s a bust, move on.

They will probably qualify him . Give him $1M for a year and take it from there .

8 hours ago, billpayor said:

They will probably qualify him . Give him $1M for a year and take it from there .

Yup. If this doesn't motivate him to learn and adapt to the NHL, then he won't make it.

Last chance JP, in or out?

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

13 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

This^  ... draft and develop. The Oiler's have failed on Jesse's development true. This comment has the brain matter  the Oiler's have been using since Sather's depature. Bust? maybe , but do you throw away another good player? This is just an other silly comment.

At this point, you can't count of JP for anything, neither on ice or trade value.  He is no more than a long shot prospect that the Oilers happen to own the NHL rights for, no more than a Lennert Petrell, Iro Pakarinen, or any of the other myriad of Finnish long shots that the team has taken flyers on over the last decade and  a half.

The Oilers have to plan to work without him and let him struggle for himself to be or not be an NHLer.   Expect the worst.  If it turns out better than that, its a bonus.

Forget the Past.  Work for the Future.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

So you throw him away? Like Petry and Schultz and many more? This thinking is why the Oiler's are in this situation and poor management also. It's time to stop and reavaluate the culture of this orginization.

26 minutes ago, El Cid said:

So you throw him away? Like Petry and Schultz and many more? This thinking is why the Oiler's are in this situation and poor management also. It's time to stop and reavaluate the culture of this orginization.

But what if he asks for a trade? If that's the case (and it is VERY possible) there's nothing we can do about it. :th_shrug:

Edited by 94oildrops

36 minutes ago, El Cid said:

There is no where to "throw him away" to.  You hold his rights, until you can't hold them any more.  You hope that in the future you might be able to redeem something, but you don't sit around clenching your butt cheeks together wishing it will happen.  You move on and start planning on how to build a team without holding on to past hopes, and failures, because those are no longer your concern.

JP has almost ZERO trade value.  Trading him gets you nothing.  Holding him costs you next to nothing.  Let him run to the KHL if he wants, he can't play in the NHL until he finishes his obligations to the OIlers.

Edited by DeutchOil

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

9 minutes ago, 94oildrops said:

But what if he asks for a trade? If that's the case (and it is VERY possible) there's nothing we can do about it. :th_shrug:

Let him sit. Won't get anything of substance anyway unless he gets better

Just now, Yuke said:

Let him sit. Won't get anything of substance anyway unless he gets better

This.

The time to move him was last off season.  This offseason is too late.

Judging by Holland's recent comments, he seems eager to re-sign Puljujarvi and get the kid's development back on track, which I think is the right direction to take. I think they get it done, but things can change a lot between now and the first week of July.

• Like 1

Sounds to me like JP clearly wants out of Edmonton going by recent comments his agent has made. He wants to stay in the NHL but believes a new start somewhere else is best. So be it. Not sure what his value is, quite low atm I would assume, here's hoping Ken can get something decent in return for him and he doesn't come back and become a 50 goal scorer playing against us in the West. Somehow I highly doubt that will happen though haha. If a trade does occur with JP, I am hoping for a player back in return, not a pick.

Holland also has to deal with Rieder, Khaira, and Rattie as far as free agents go. Guessing he parts ways with Rieder and not sure on the other two. I'd keep Khaira personally but Ken is not me and there are some rumblings of teams interested in him out there so we'll see what happens. Rattie dunno, haven't heard nothing on him, not sure if brass is gonna give him another shot or cut him loose?

In Ken we trust...

image.png

11 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

Sounds to me like JP clearly wants out of Edmonton going by recent comments his agent has made. He wants to stay in the NHL but believes a new start somewhere else is best. So be it. Not sure what his value is, quite low atm I would assume, here's hoping Ken can get something decent in return for him and he doesn't come back and become a 50 goal scorer playing against us in the West. Somehow I highly doubt that will happen though haha. If a trade does occur with JP, I am hoping for a player back in return, not a pick.

Holland also has to deal with Rieder, Khaira, and Rattie as far as free agents go. Guessing he parts ways with Rieder and not sure on the other two. I'd keep Khaira personally but Ken is not me and there are some rumblings of teams interested in him out there so we'll see what happens. Rattie dunno, haven't heard nothing on him, not sure if brass is gonna give him another shot or cut him loose?

In Ken we trust...

There might be merit to the idea of throwing in JP as trade bait to move Lucic's contract for either of Neal or Eriksson.  Neal can still score.  Eriksson is a good PKer.  Neal costs less, and has no NMC, Eriksson has a shorter contract and his NTC is far more malleable.

Neither of Calgary nor Vancouver will take on Lucic's contract in a straight across trade.  That contract is a huge albatross, and JP might be just what is needed to grease the wheels, and stay away from retaining anything of the contract.

2 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

There might be merit to the idea of throwing in JP as trade bait to move Lucic's contract for either of Neal or Eriksson.  Neal can still score.  Eriksson is a good PKer.  Neal costs less, and has no NMC, Eriksson has a shorter contract and his NTC is far more malleable.

Neither of Calgary nor Vancouver will take on Lucic's contract in a straight across trade.  That contract is a huge albatross, and JP might be just what is needed to grease the wheels, and stay away from retaining anything of the contract.

You are forgetting Luc gets his big bonus soon so after July 1st then any of those trades are much more appealing to teams. His actual contract for the remainder is going to be 3-4 mil per (give or take), not 6. This would be our saving grace without sweetening things too much.

3 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

Look, Deutch. You always come across as definitive, as though you know the truth about everything. Many times I agree with you. This however, I do not. I'm trying to be diplomatic. Trading Luch and JP for Eriksson would be about the worst trade this organization has done in the last ten years. Seriously. WTF would that do for us. Lucic will still be the deterrent, which apparently carries no value here, and despite his reduction that way recently, it still is a factor. And it matters. JP is a wildcard. Perhaps a low odds one, but still has wildcard value. Ericksson is an old bag of bones who will do nothing for this team. Period. Bad idea..... IMHO.

Good lord, if Luch was in the Pacific, we'd end up seeing him beat up our "tough guys", every time, for sure. OMG. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Look, Deutch. You always come across as definitive, as though you know the truth about everything. Many times I agree with you. This however, I do not. I'm trying to be diplomatic. Trading Luch and JP for Eriksson would be about the worst trade this organization has done in the last ten years. Seriously. WTF would that do for us. Lucic will still be the deterrent, which apparently carries no value here, and despite his reduction that way recently, it still is a factor. And it matters. JP is a wildcard. Perhaps a low odds one, but still has wildcard value. Ericksson is an old bag of bones who will do nothing for this team. Period. Bad idea..... IMHO.

Good lord, if Luch was in the Pacific, we'd end up seeing him beat up our "tough guys", every time, for sure. OMG. 

Eriksson gives us a shorter awful contract, also a better buyout option. 

3 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

and fewer points, less physicality, less heart (yup whodathunkit), and a LOT more coasting.

I agree with WHA fan, Lucic for Eriksson borders on insanely stupid.

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

I will take the extra year of Lucic just to have him not banging the crap out of players.

A bad Lucic is still more valuable than a bad Eriksson

Just now, Yuke said:

I will take the extra year of Lucic just to have him not banging the crap out of players.

A bad Lucic is still more valuable than a bad Eriksson

Not if you're going to trade for Eriksson and buy him out.

It's not player move.

2 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

and fewer points, less physicality, less heart (yup whodathunkit), and a LOT more coasting.

I agree with WHA fan, Lucic for Eriksson borders on insanely stupid.

Look at the price of cap relief in these other trades. It's really high. We still need cap relief.

It's not player move.

Look at the price of cap relief in these other trades. It's really high. We still need cap relief.

What are you getting with the free couple million?

Just now, Yuke said:

What are you getting with the free couple million?

something better than any of the 3 players we're discussing.

It's not player move.

So you trade Lucic who still has value, especially to us, in order to buy out Eriksson and save that one year of a contract?  Sorry but I just don't see that as a smart thing to do.  If you are going to move Lucic just to save cap, why not move him to some other team (with his consent, I heard LA has some interest) for picks or prospects?  or for a middle of the road forward or D man.  Why move him for somebody with the exact same cap hit and only one less year on his contract.   I'd rather him stay here and lead the league in hits again from OUR roster, not somebody elses.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

brocomud.JPG

2 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Yah, I know, but he also gives us a flaccid guy on the ice for about three years. For the same money, but one extra year at least we have Lucic. I think he'll contribute and that he's not done. At least he still scares people, and that still helps in hockey, despite what people may say. Either way, the one less year is not a deal maker, IMO. 

8 hours ago, bronco73 said:

So you trade Lucic who still has value, especially to us, in order to buy out Eriksson and save that one year of a contract?  Sorry but I just don't see that as a smart thing to do.  If you are going to move Lucic just to save cap, why not move him to some other team (with his consent, I heard LA has some interest) for picks or prospects?  or for a middle of the road forward or D man.  Why move him for somebody with the exact same cap hit and only one less year on his contract.   I'd rather him stay here and lead the league in hits again from OUR roster, not somebody elses.

The Cap relief is more valuable than the player.

Because we can't because the cap room is more valuable than the player.

12 hours ago, WHA fan said:

I'll agree that it's not a good trade. Hall for Larson was way worse than that though lol. 

Defending Looch over Eriksson (BOTH BAD) is straight homerism.  Eriksson had more points than Looch last year, and more goals.  He will likely have more points and more goals than Looch this year.  He still has his mobility.  He still is a very good penalty killer.  He has one less year on his contract, and his contract is easier to move.  Canucks don't need to move him because they have so much Cap space they will struggle to hit the Cap floor (and NO that does NOT mean they want Lucic's contract for more years and more Cap hit for the 5 minutes of Luc Gazdic time he is worth now).

Looch wasn't much of a deterrent last year, and his diminishing ice time won't make him much of one this year.  He hits, a lot, for his limited time on ice.  That is his ONE benefit.  It would be nice to have a guy that did that and killed penalties, or played defence (unfortunately Eriksson doesn't hit, but he does do the other two very well).  Canucks don't have to move Eriksson, but they would like to.  They don't want Lucic's contract.  No one does.  Hence the need to entice someone with sweetener if you want Lucic to be traded.  Without sweetener, Lucic is an Oiler, and the longer he is an Oiler, the greater the amount of sweetener is going to be needed to move him.

We can all claim that another team would benefit from taking him so much that they HAVE to give us something of value in return.  But that is just us preferring our guy over some other team's problem contract/player.  Lucic's numbers, aside from hitting, are atrocious and moving downward fast.  There is NO contract as bad as his right now.

4 hours ago, 94oildrops said:

I'll agree that it's not a good trade. Hall for Larson was way worse than that though lol. 

In the 3 years that NJD has had Taylor Hall, he has won MVP once and they have drafted 1st overall twice (In his nine year career, Taylor Hall lead teams have drafted 1st overall 5 times, and 3rd and 4th overall once each, making the playoffs only once/just barely).

Year one of that trade - the Oilers won

Year two - New Jersey won by a lot

Year three - Tie goes to the team finishing higher in the standings.

That trade is still debatable.

4 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

The Cap relief is more valuable than the player.

Because we can't because the cap room is more valuable than the player.

because of ONE year and identical cap hits?

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/milan-lucic

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/loui-eriksson

Not even worth pursuing.  Trade him for a prospect and waive the prospect, problem solved.  6 million per year of savings and it's done THIS year.  Way better option IF you want to rid yourself of Lucic's contract.  And I honestly don't see that need right now.  IMO we need his physicality and strength just as much as we need more scoring. 

brocomud.JPG

4 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

Defending Looch over Eriksson (BOTH BAD) is straight homerism.  Eriksson had more points than Looch last year, and more goals.  He will likely have more points and more goals than Looch this year.  He still has his mobility.  He still is a very good penalty killer.  He has one less year on his contract, and his contract is easier to move.  Canucks don't need to move him because they have so much Cap space they will struggle to hit the Cap floor (and NO that does NOT mean they want Lucic's contract for more years and more Cap hit for the 5 minutes of Luc Gazdic time he is worth now).

Looch wasn't much of a deterrent last year, and his diminishing ice time won't make him much of one this year.  He hits, a lot, for his limited time on ice.  That is his ONE benefit.  It would be nice to have a guy that did that and killed penalties, or played defence (unfortunately Eriksson doesn't hit, but he does do the other two very well).  Canucks don't have to move Eriksson, but they would like to.  They don't want Lucic's contract.  No one does.  Hence the need to entice someone with sweetener if you want Lucic to be traded.  Without sweetener, Lucic is an Oiler, and the longer he is an Oiler, the greater the amount of sweetener is going to be needed to move him.

We can all claim that another team would benefit from taking him so much that they HAVE to give us something of value in return.  But that is just us preferring our guy over some other team's problem contract/player.  Lucic's numbers, aside from hitting, are atrocious and moving downward fast.  There is NO contract as bad as his right now.

Defending Eriksson over Lucic is just as bad Deutch.  Erikssons extra 9 points over the season wouldn't have gotten us anywhere (unless his name was Rieder).  Plus, his complete lack of physicality would IMO have been a detriment to us.   Eriksson had a grand total of THREE hits last season.  That's it.  3.   Vs Lucic's league leading 259.  If you think Lucic's physical play wasn't a deterrent then Eriksson might as well post up a billboard saying "COME ON IN AND KICK THE CRAP OUT OF US, I WON"T STOP YOU!"

It's ridiculous to give up Lucic for a completely soft in every way imaginable person who's heart left the building years ago and his so called mobility and hands netted him 5 more goals and a whopping 9 more points over the entire season last year (oh and two more games played might I add) than Lucic.

Edited by bronco73

brocomud.JPG