Jump to content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
OilyJetFan

Tyler Benson

Recommended Posts

Just read in the Journal that Tyler Benson had a pain free Rookie Camp. Very happy to hear this. He still has a long way to go in his recovery. He has to check in with his doctor next week to see how his body is after the week of hard skating to determine if he can now go into full workout mode. He's (Benson) confident he'll get the green light. 

I'm really pulling for this kid (Oiler or not but being an Oiler is even better). He's the real deal if he can get to a place where he's 100% healthy and confident like he was in Bantam. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Hopefully he can rack up some major games this year in junior to try to rid himself of the 'frail' tag .

 

 When he plays he is the best player on the ice. Seeing him play he dominates but just has to play.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago, a friend of mine at the UofA who knew Benson said he would be a #1 pick.   I thought it was a neat thing after checking his stats (he wasn't in Vancouver yet), but I  also thought we would be a playoff team by now so we wouldn't get a chance to draft him.    Little did I know that we would still be a terrible team within range to get a top pick, but would spend that pick on a different player but still land Benson in a different way.  

 

And I got to say, I'm a supporter of the rebuild but if you would have told me in 2009 that it would take this long (with the end still not entirely clear) I would have said it's probably not worth it.  Ughh..   But in the here and now I'm happy with our talent.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A few years ago, a friend of mine at the UofA who knew Benson said he would be a #1 pick. I thought it was a neat thing after checking his stats (he wasn't in Vancouver yet), but I also thought we would be a playoff team by now so we wouldn't get a chance to draft him. Little did I know that we would still be a terrible team within range to get a top pick, but would spend that pick on a different player but still land Benson in a different way.

And I got to say, I'm a supporter of the rebuild but if you would have told me in 2009 that it would take this long (with the end still not entirely clear) I would have said it's probably not worth it. Ughh.. But in the here and now I'm happy with our talent.

Yeah my friend coached Benson in midget and told me the same thing. He has skills no doubt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still a bit worried about his health. When asked outright at the rookie camp he kind of skated around the question. Basically he said he was good to go and had already played a few games and felt great, but he didn't declare himself 100% healthy either. 

 

Guess we'll see but he's the guy I'm watching in TC this year. He'll go back to junior for sure I know but I want to see how he does and if he's in fact good to go (I sure hope so).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently it's a minor shoulder tweak, day to day, being held out as a precaution.

I hope he can play a full season in juniors. He's either going to become a solid nhl player steal at 32, or injuries keep happening and he is pitlick 2.0.

I remember reading articles about him as a bantam player, touting him as a future 1st overall pick.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The thing he will have to work on will be his skating which is pretty awful for his age. The good thing is at his age like LD, he has time to improve on it which is a must for him to reach the next level. Seeing him play he has the vision and talent but just not the wheels to keep up at this time. Skating can be fixed, instincts are there or not and he has them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading pieces on him from bantam till now is almost tragic, you can just feel how everything has unraveled in the worst possible way. He goes from projected #1, to outside top 10, to late first, and then outside the top 40 for most scouts. Hopefully he can make up for some of the lost time, it sounds like he has the drive to do it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

FUTURE WATCH: Benson makes his mark

"Oilers prospect Tyler Benson impresses during Canada-Russia Series, with end-goal hopes of getting the call to Canada's National Junior Team selection camp in December"

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/future-watch-benson-makes-his-mark/c-283574154?tid=282301108

 

I don't know about him making the Team Canada World Junior team this year!?...I went to go watch the WHL/ Russia Super Series game on Tuesday, and Benson seemed kinda slow as compare to the other players in that game .Although he got three points in the game, imo he didn't really dominate as I expected. ..I have watched him in AAA Bantam when he was dominating the league and establishing scoring records, at that time his speed really stood out, it was waaaay above the rest, but now he seems slower than his peers...Did he have any leg injuries or anything happen to him ever since he got out of Bantam?.. 

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

                 img-168569-m.jpg

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did his speed really hamper his game? It sounds to me like he did just fine.  Not everyone needs to  be a speedster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2016-11-10 at 2:01 PM, Coffey2Gretzky said:

 

FUTURE WATCH: Benson makes his mark

"Oilers prospect Tyler Benson impresses during Canada-Russia Series, with end-goal hopes of getting the call to Canada's National Junior Team selection camp in December"

https://www.nhl.com/oilers/news/future-watch-benson-makes-his-mark/c-283574154?tid=282301108

 

I don't know about him making the Team Canada World Junior team this year!?...I went to go watch the WHL/ Russia Super Series game on Tuesday, and Benson seemed kinda slow as compare to the other players in that game .Although he got three points in the game, imo he didn't really dominate as I expected. ..I have watched him in AAA Bantam when he was dominating the league and establishing scoring records, at that time his speed really stood out, it was waaaay above the rest, but now he seems slower than his peers...Did he have any leg injuries or anything happen to him ever since he got out of Bantam?.. 

he has gone through a lot of injuries his skating is fine, not a speedster but NHL calibre skater


INKbO70.jpgWgYAVeu.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/12/2016 at 2:13 PM, OilFury said:

he has gone through a lot of injuries his skating is fine, not a speedster but NHL calibre skater

At this point his skating is most not to NHL standard and will have to improve on that which at his age is very doable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nail Yakupov is a great skater - only he goes no where. Hey, I'm not saying you can be a crappy skater, but it's about being smart. If you're in the right place at the right time, you don't need to be a 'good skater'. The knock on Patrik Laine was his skating was not up to snuff. It may still not be up to snuff, but he knows where to go and how to shoot the puck (on the net). If Benson has that 'hockey sense', his skating shouldn't be an issue. Like you said OF - you were at the game and he lagged, but had three points. Not bad for someone who can't skate eh? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks nice and consistent to me.  If he can stay healthy for a good long time then we will know what we've got.  With a little time he shoulod be ready when some of our other contracts end.   Kinda like Chicago has been doing.  Fingers crossed.

I haven't seen him play but he must have some edge with 23 pims as well (or is he the next Pouliot?).  Anybody watched him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2016 at 5:23 PM, OilyJetFan said:

Nail Yakupov is a great skater - only he goes no where. Hey, I'm not saying you can be a crappy skater, but it's about being smart. If you're in the right place at the right time, you don't need to be a 'good skater'. The knock on Patrik Laine was his skating was not up to snuff. It may still not be up to snuff, but he knows where to go and how to shoot the puck (on the net). If Benson has that 'hockey sense', his skating shouldn't be an issue. Like you said OF - you were at the game and he lagged, but had three points. Not bad for someone who can't skate eh? 

 Rob Schemp had some of the best 'hockey sense' ever seen  drafted by an Oiler scout but his complete lack of skating ability made that a mute point.

 Bensen will currently have to improve his skating, which at his age he should be able to do, to be able to play at the NHL level because it is a major factor for him to jump to the next level at this point.

 Love him as a prospect but he needs some time to develop and learn to skate because it is not good even at the junior level which i see on  a regular basis out here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, realityoil said:

 Rob Schemp had some of the best 'hockey sense' ever seen  drafted by an Oiler scout but his complete lack of skating ability made that a mute point.

 Bensen will currently have to improve his skating, which at his age he should be able to do, to be able to play at the NHL level because it is a major factor for him to jump to the next level at this point.

 Love him as a prospect but he needs some time to develop and learn to skate because it is not good even at the junior level which i see on  a regular basis out here.

And look at Griffin Reinhart. Though I think for him it's his lack of aggression more than anything. I'm sure he can skate as well as Luke Schenn, but he's as mean as Klefbom is on the ice. But back to Benson, don't forget all the injuries he's suffered. It may be he may never develop into a 'good enough' skater. But I wouldn't compare him to Robbie Schremp, and in fact I'd disagree with the comment 'best hockey sense ever seen'. Now you're putting him in McDavid category which wasn't even close to being. What he was a great stick handler. He was a magician out there. And to get to the NHL level you have to have some hockey sense, no doubt about it. But 'ever seen' is a pretty big statement. IMO sounds more like the scout blowing smoke up quantum singularities for drafting him. 

Benson was dominating here and a first overall pick in the WHL draft. You don't accomplish that by being a 'Schremp' lol. But that being said, you see him a lot more than I, so if his skating needs work, and as long as his past injuries (knee and cyst) is something he can overcome, then he does have lots of time to improve. Would love to hear more as the season goes on as to whether we're seeing progress on this. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

And look at Griffin Reinhart. Though I think for him it's his lack of aggression more than anything. I'm sure he can skate as well as Luke Schenn, but he's as mean as Klefbom is on the ice. But back to Benson, don't forget all the injuries he's suffered. It may be he may never develop into a 'good enough' skater. But I wouldn't compare him to Robbie Schremp, and in fact I'd disagree with the comment 'best hockey sense ever seen'. Now you're putting him in McDavid category which wasn't even close to being. What he was a great stick handler. He was a magician out there. And to get to the NHL level you have to have some hockey sense, no doubt about it. But 'ever seen' is a pretty big statement. IMO sounds more like the scout blowing smoke up quantum singularities for drafting him. 

Benson was dominating here and a first overall pick in the WHL draft. You don't accomplish that by being a 'Schremp' lol. But that being said, you see him a lot more than I, so if his skating needs work, and as long as his past injuries (knee and cyst) is something he can overcome, then he does have lots of time to improve. Would love to hear more as the season goes on as to whether we're seeing progress on this. 

 Well I should date myself here seeing I have been a Oiler fan for a 'long' time which is a nice way of saying I am old.

 First I said that Rob Schremp had some of the best hockey sense of any Oiler and did not have the best sense of an Oiler as clearly 99 and 97. For those youngsters who have never heard here is a bio of one of the best stickhandlers and hockey sense players ever to play from junior.

http://thehockeywriters.com/what-ever-happened-to-rob-schremp/

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8876

 

 And yes Schremp was better prospect at the time than Benson as he was the number one overall pick one pick in a better OHL draft and put up so much better numbers than Benson in a better league. He also played on two deep USA world junior teams while Bensen is not even invited to camp. Schremp was a first round pick who many thought may be higher while Bensen was a second rounder. I don't usually compare different draft classes espcially in different eras but both are identical where there are at this point.

  Schremp even played when skating was not the critical component it is today and could not make it. I have hopes for Bensen as he has that compete level which is fantastic and leadership ability, but he is a weaker version of Schremp at this point until he improves his skating. i hope those past injuries have not hurt his ability to get better because if that is the case, that is a serious issue.

 

A very skilled center, Schremp owns terrific vision and stickhandling ability. Excels on the powerplay, but isn't a great skater and lacks defensive acumen. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8876#sthash.z9vQGHAy.dpuf
A very skilled center, Schremp owns terrific vision and stickhandling ability. Excels on the powerplay, but isn't a great skater and lacks defensive acumen. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8876#sthash.z9vQGHAy.dpuf
A very skilled center, Schremp owns terrific vision and stickhandling ability. Excels on the powerplay, but isn't a great skater and lacks defensive acumen. - See more at: http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=8876#sthash.z9vQGHAy.dpuf

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget though, Schremp fell in the draft because of his head, or more specifically his attitude. Whereas Benson has been crippled by injuries. If he can overcome those injuries, I don't believe the two will be remotely close in their NHL careers. I'm in Benson's corner, would love to see him become a successful NHLer, never was a Schremp fan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Heard that Benson had a big game - four points last game and I think I heard he has 7 points in his last two games. 10 goals and 24 assists for 34 points in 28 games so far. Not bad on a team that isn't very good. Nice to see he's staying healthy so far :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

40 points in 31 games (10 G 30 A).

Still have my fingers crossed about this guy ....  Given ALL the ridiculously wasted first round picks the Oilers have had (Alex Plante, Tyson Nash, MPS, Yakupov .. RNH) and the only slightly better thrown away early second rounders (David Musil, Mitch Moroz) not to mention the TWO fabulous draft picks we packed off for Griffen Reinhart ... I would really love to see one of our Top draft picks OVER succeed. 

Edited by DeutchOil

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/12/2016 at 5:11 PM, OilyJetFan said:

Don't forget though, Schremp fell in the draft because of his head, or more specifically his attitude. Whereas Benson has been crippled by injuries. If he can overcome those injuries, I don't believe the two will be remotely close in their NHL careers. I'm in Benson's corner, would love to see him become a successful NHLer, never was a Schremp fan

Right now Benson is not a better skater than Schremp and that is a huge issue. A much better all around game and has that compete level which is great hope for Benson.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Benson is putting more than a point per game on a pretty bad Vancouver team. A -3 on the lowest scoring team, that's 10 games below .500

got hope for this kid. Needs to eat something though. Needs to eat everything.


fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard he was hurt - he was kept out of the last game here. Read rumours it's nothing 'serious' but that the Oilers told the Giants not to play him. Any one hear anything on it, I can't find anything else out. Also, I wonder if they'll trade him to a contending team? I would, no sense in keeping him he'll be lost in a year (or sooner) anyway. But I believe the trade deadline has passed so they can't do that either. Interesting. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/26/2017 at 7:10 AM, OilyJetFan said:

I heard he was hurt - he was kept out of the last game here. Read rumours it's nothing 'serious' but that the Oilers told the Giants not to play him. Any one hear anything on it, I can't find anything else out. Also, I wonder if they'll trade him to a contending team? I would, no sense in keeping him he'll be lost in a year (or sooner) anyway. But I believe the trade deadline has passed so they can't do that either. Interesting. 

 http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/junior-hockey/undisclosed-injury-keeps-giants-star-benson-an-oiler-draft-pick-from-game-in-edmonton

 

 He has been kept out of all games since and has not played in weeks. It seems like a tightly closed secret of why he has not been playing. A shame as I was in Vancouver and did not see him play last week and he did not play last night or listed today in Victoria where i live with season tickets. Truly disappointing and wonder when that massive red 'fragile' sticker might be applied.

 The Giants moved out some of there older players this year as they are truly in a rebuilding stage and are not very good. With Benson badly needing to improve on his skating the Giants will be counting on him playing there next year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, realityoil said:

 http://theprovince.com/sports/hockey/junior-hockey/undisclosed-injury-keeps-giants-star-benson-an-oiler-draft-pick-from-game-in-edmonton

 

 He has been kept out of all games since and has not played in weeks. It seems like a tightly closed secret of why he has not been playing. A shame as I was in Vancouver and did not see him play last week and he did not play last night or listed today in Victoria where i live with season tickets. Truly disappointing and wonder when that massive red 'fragile' sticker might be applied.

 The Giants moved out some of there older players this year as they are truly in a rebuilding stage and are not very good. With Benson badly needing to improve on his skating the Giants will be counting on him playing there next year.

Thanks for the update RO - damn. I feel for this kid. Whatever it is it's serious to be out this long. Hopefully not 'career' threatening but I wonder why the aren't saying anything. Well, I won't try to speculate, just wish him a speedy recovery and yes, if eligible, he should be back there for one more year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...