Jump to content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
OilyJetFan

Tyler Benson

Recommended Posts

On 9/4/2019 at 1:41 AM, SuperDave17 said:

Great read indeed, Woodblog is an educated Oiler blogger and I wish he'd post more.

Benson... I have him starting in Bakersfield simply bc of KH's insistence of over-ripening prospects, added with the abundance of cheap 1 yr guys Ken has acquired has me thinking Benson starts on the farm. I feel like this has been predetermined no matter how good he may look in camp. A mid-season call-up for perhaps a permanent stay seems right. I could be wrong, it's been known to happen.:P

If he did make the team outta camp, my oh my we suddenly have a lot of forwards. Something/one will have to give/go.


image.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HappyHappy said:

Great read indeed, Woodblog is an educated Oiler blogger and I wish he'd post more.

Benson... I have him starting in Bakersfield simply bc of KH's insistence of over-ripening prospects, added with the abundance of cheap 1 yr guys Ken has acquired has me thinking Benson starts on the farm. I feel like this has been predetermined no matter how good he may look in camp. A mid-season call-up for perhaps a permanent stay seems right. I could be wrong, it's been known to happen.:P

If he did make the team outta camp, my oh my we suddenly have a lot of forwards. Something/one will have to give/go.

I think the other tipping point is keeping Benson draft-immune gives us more flexibility and options come the Seattle draft. After that, I don't see how we can justifiably keep him out of the NHL lineup.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SuperDave17 said:

I think the other tipping point is keeping Benson draft-immune gives us more flexibility and options come the Seattle draft. After that, I don't see how we can justifiably keep him out of the NHL lineup.

Good point often overlooked by many people (including myself) I am guessing.    From what I can see, we currently only really need to protect Connor, Leon, Ryan, Alex and Zack of our current forwards...……...I can't think of another forward who (at this moment in time) we would be upset if we lost in an expansion draft.

And with all due respect to Tyler Benson, at this point in his career he likely won't be the difference to the Edmonton Oilers either making or not making the play offs.  Probably a no brainer to give him one more season or part season in Bakersfield.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Good point often overlooked by many people (including myself) I am guessing.    From what I can see, we currently only really need to protect Connor, Leon, Ryan, Alex and Zack of our current forwards...……...I can't think of another forward who (at this moment in time) we would be upset if we lost in an expansion draft.

And with all due respect to Tyler Benson, at this point in his career he likely won't be the difference to the Edmonton Oilers either making or not making the play offs.  Probably a no brainer to give him one more season or part season in Bakersfield.

Right!! I keep gapping out on the expansion thing too. It could be a reason why KH has brought in so many, seemingly, spare parts....to shelter the kids who we would have to expose to Seattle

If that's the case, I hope that is being communicated to them. Would be frustrating to see a bunch of randoms parachuted in, without being given a reason why you didn't have a shot at that roster spot.

Edited by Fogolin2

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Good point often overlooked by many people (including myself) I am guessing.    From what I can see, we currently only really need to protect Connor, Leon, Ryan, Alex and Zack of our current forwards...……...I can't think of another forward who (at this moment in time) we would be upset if we lost in an expansion draft.

Where does Holland put JP? Looks like there is room on the list or he could be offered up if they leave Benson alone, options are there.

Edited by Yuke

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Where does Holland put JP? Looks like there is room on the list or he could be offered up if they leave Benson alone, options are there.

I don't think that will be a problem anyway as I think for the Las Vegas expansion we were allowed to protect 7 or 8 forwards, so still room for JP if necessary.   Why let him go for "free", let them take Khaira or any other "expendable" forward.    Even if Neal has a terrific year, and we want to protect him, we should still have room for one or two other protected forwards.   I am guessing Benson would have to play a minimum number of NHL games to qualify for non-protection anyway.

The more we see the current make up of the team with so many short term contracts offered to forwards, it is beginning to look more and more like KH's plan is to get through this season as best we can (without totally giving up on it), get rid of any deadwood next summer, and then start to use whatever cap space relief/trades/UFA/RFA signings we can to bolster support for Connor and Leon, and to address other issues like defence and goal tending (if still necessary).

Ken Holland sensible medium to long term planning, PC knee jerk blunderbuss type reactions...………….what a difference.

Edited by Blackhawk216

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see a large number of players with one year deals and NHL experience that will be motivated to extend their NHL careers . Benson will have to beat one of these guy's out , that might be a tall task .  But  another year of seasoning in Bakersfield wouldn't hurt  . I'd write his name in with a pen for next years roster and that may very well be the plan .

Edited by billpayor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/12/2019 at 12:06 PM, billpayor said:

I see a large number of players with one year deals and NHL experience that will be motivated to extend their NHL careers . Benson will have to beat one of these guy's out , that might be a tall task .  But  another year of seasoning in Bakersfield wouldn't hurt  . I'd write his name in with a pen for next years roster and that may very well be the plan .

I realise it is only two games but from what I read, Benson wasn't even a stand out player in either of the two rookie games v Calgary.  

Maybe he isn't actually ready for the NHL yet anyway?

Edited by Blackhawk216

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...