The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
mrtea

Thoughts on PC's next moves?

It is starting to look like wed have a legitimate shot at the playoffs and I'm wondering what moves people are predicting before the trade deadline. The three most obvious moves are depth journeyman RW, backup tender and possibly a top 4 D with a cannon.

With recent developments these positions may not be as critical, but depth moving into the playoffs is critical to a long run. Not saying we will have a long run, but if we aren't prepared then we have even less of a chance to succeed. I prefer more chances than less.

Only 2 moves I would like to see as of right now. Move Pouliot. And possibly pick up a move vet back-up. I feel making to many moves with the upcoming expansion draft is a losing gamble, we can only protect so many of our players and I would hate to lose someone we picked up at the deadline to the expansion draft.

16 minutes ago, mrtea said:

It is starting to look like wed have a legitimate shot at the playoffs

I've been saying it for a while...we. are. in. I know it's tough but you guys have to wrap your heads around it. We're 9 points clear in the division and just walloped the team closest behind us

ok, now that we have that sorted. We need an experienced backup. i'd like a right handed PP point man, but it's not critical. I do not want Iggy because he's too slow

and, I've never liked him 

Fog we also have 30 games left to the season and nothing is written in stone yet. Yes our chances favor us greatly but it is not certain yet that we're "IN". Do I believe were going to make it yes I do but until it becomes mathamaticly impossible for us to be eliminated then anything is possible.

2 minutes ago, Tran01 said:

Fog we also have 30 games left to the season and nothing is written in stone yet. Yes our chances favor us greatly but it is not certain yet that we're "IN". Do I believe were going to make it yes I do but until it becomes mathamaticly impossible for us to be eliminated then anything is possible.

I know, but it's a math question. With a 9 point cushion in the division, and 33 games left to play, it's bordering on impossible for the Flames to catch us. They'd have win 5 more games than we do in their last 33 games. Not impossible, but very very unlikely. And that says nothing of the 2 wildcard spots. 

Back to the matter at hand....What's Halak's situation? I'd think we could get him cheap, and he would be pumped to get back in the league and on a playoff team. 

Nobody is really out of it in the east, but we should be watching those teams closely. I wonder if Detroit might move Mrazek? He's struggled this year, but they have a weird 3 goalie thing going over there, and they're stuck with Howard and that contract

Looks like? 30 games lefts? Are you guys seeing the same hockey that we are?

As Fog2 says, "we are in". Like any team that injuries hurt their playoff bid, the Oilers could still miss the playoffs if key players are injured. Know one can predict injury and it's impact but that is NOT what we are talking about. The Oilers are in. At this point, I check the standings every day to see how many games are needed to officially be in. It's now time to start the count down.

The fact that the Oilers are dominating their division and conference, the fact that they have the #1 point getter in the NHL, the fact that Talbot is one of the leading goalies should indicate, alone, that we are definitely in.

As for the next moves, I would have been willing to ship a few out prior to the last few games but now, I'm seeing a team spirit that the Oilers never had. When I saw McD come to the defense of LD, I knew this was a legit team. Sure it would be great to get a true back-up goalie and a top flight RW but heck, what we have could probably do some damage. 

PC should and probably is making calls. I would let go of a prospect or two and a pick or two (although we are not rich in picks) as well as a roster player to get Iggy or Jagr. Both are vet help that would be great playoff additions. I don't want to hear the name Barrie but I would be interested in Kronwall or Stralman.

Edited by Telly-Belly

12 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

Looks like? 30 games lefts? Are you guys seeing the same hockey that we are?

As Fog2 says, "we are in". Like any team that injuries hurt their playoff bid, the Oilers could still miss the playoffs if key players are injured. Know one can predict injury and it's impact but that is NOT what we are talking about. The Oilers are in. At this point, I check the standings every day to see how many games are needed to officially be in. It's now time to start the count down.

The fact that the Oilers are dominating their division and conference, the fact that they have the #1 point getter in the NHL, the fact that Talbot is one of the leading goalies should indicate, alone, that we are definitely in.

As for the next moves, I would have been willing to ship a few out prior to the last few games but now, I'm seeing a team spirit that the Oilers never had. When I saw McD come to the defense of LD, I knew this was a legit team. Sure it would be great to get a true back-up goalie and a top flight RW but heck, what we have could probably do some damage. 

PC should and probably is making calls. I would let go of a prospect or two and a pick or two (although we are not rich in picks) as well as a roster player to get Iggy or Jagr. Both are vet help that would be great playoff additions. I don't want to hear the name Barrie but I would be interested in Kronwall or Stralman.

Jagr - Yes

Iggy - No , unless the ask was very , very low.

1 hour ago, Oil_Dude said:

Jagr - Yes

Iggy - No , unless the ask was very , very low.

Definitely no on Iggy, no former or current Flames please.. Something still has to happen with the Pittsburgh and Tampa goalies. Vegas would likely claim one no matter what. But if we won the cup who cares? 

17 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Definitely no on Iggy, no former or current Flames please.. Something still has to happen with the Pittsburgh and Tampa goalies. Vegas would likely claim one no matter what. But if we won the cup who cares? 

i thought about one of those goalies, but I just think the fit isn't right. They wouldn't want to be a backup, and I don't want to change any of talbot's mojo. Brining in one of those high price big names might do that. 

Edited by Fogolin2

Beyond a legit backup (sorry LB ... you're not there yet) .... Now that Eberle seems to have gotten his mojo back, and IS also helping out in his own zone, the RW is not so pressing.  The D-corps is doing alright offensively, and PP doesn't need some Johnny-come-lately rental QB so bad that I would risk bringing one in, late season .... I don't know what the Oilers should do at the deadline.

Unless guys are going out to bring more useful and maybe cheaper guys in (for the future) like Pouliot (out for picks) for a cheaper, more effective equivalent (coming in for similar picks going out).... I could see the Oilers standing pat at the deadline, and PC willing to take some flak for it.  The roster, as it is, is not quite there yet ... but it is well rounded, and tinkering at the deadline will likely not improve our playoff chances.

That said ... this is contingent upon our  second line continuing as it is.

OH .... and NO to Iggy ... he is more done than Hendricks ... and I have no need to see him retire in Oiler colors.

Edited by DeutchOil

28 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Beyond a legit backup (sorry LB ... you're not there yet) .... Now that Eberle seems to have gotten his mojo back, and IS also helping out in his own zone, the RW is not so pressing.  The D-corps is doing alright offensively, and PP doesn't need some Johnny-come-lately rental QB so bad that I would risk bringing one in, late season .... I don't know what the Oilers should do at the deadline.

Unless guys are going out to bring more useful and maybe cheaper guys in (for the future) like Pouliot (out for picks) for a cheaper, more effective equivalent (coming in for similar picks going out).... I could see the Oilers standing pat at the deadline, and PC willing to take some flak for it.  The roster, as it is, is not quite there yet ... but it is well rounded, and tinkering at the deadline will likely not improve our playoff chances.

That said ... this is contingent upon our  second line continuing as it is.

OH .... and NO to Iggy ... he is more done than Hendricks ... and I have no need to see him retire in Oiler colors.

I could see the back up and maybe some depth at center ( alhtough we do have Lander there already) but beyond that I don't see too many pressing needs. Depth players and minor moves this year.

1 minute ago, Fogolin2 said:

anybody know how Nurse's recovery is coming? Maybe a depth dman, just in case he's not on schedule

Dunno how it is coming ( this regime is pretty tight lipped on stuff) but he was due back in March. So yeah I could see a left shot depth guy (Gryba being the RH).

I would like the idea of bringing in Hanzal as a big 3rd line center on an expiring contract. Gives us more depth down the middle, and doesn't put cagguila in a situation to play center in the pressure cooker that is playoff hockey.  Bringing in hanzal also gives us a shutdown center, freeing up Nuge to do his thing, instead of trying to shut down other teams top lines.  I would only bring him in if the cost is a 3rd round pick, or b level prospect.

17 minutes ago, RenJob said:

I would like the idea of bringing in Hanzal as a big 3rd line center on an expiring contract. Gives us more depth down the middle, and doesn't put cagguila in a situation to play center in the pressure cooker that is playoff hockey.  Bringing in hanzal also gives us a shutdown center, freeing up Nuge to do his thing, instead of trying to shut down other teams top lines.  I would only bring him in if the cost is a 3rd round pick, or b level prospect.

I like the idea too, but I think he's going to cost more than you're willing to pay. He'll be a popular rental option so AZ will be able to have a bit of an auction.

we do have enough bodies to cover the center positions, but I agree that adding depth or an upgrade is a good idea

7 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

I like the idea too, but I think he's going to cost more than you're willing to pay. He'll be a popular rental option so AZ will be able to have a bit of an auction.

we do have enough bodies to cover the center positions, but I agree that adding depth or an upgrade is a good idea

Maybe, but how much would you pay for a rental of a third line center with an injury history.  I believe our second is committed to Boston as payment for chiarelli, and a 1st is an overpay.  Maybe a 3rd plus a b prospect.

Just now, RenJob said:

Maybe, but how much would you pay for a rental of a third line center with an injury history.  I believe our second is committed to Boston as payment for chiarelli, and a 1st is an overpay.  Maybe a 3rd plus a b prospect.

I'm with you. Couldn't even say with certainty that he'd be a regular, so I wouldn't want to pay much. I just think there will be a team with a real need at that position so they'll be willing to pay more. Having said that, if our needs change (injury, other trade, etc..) then we should reconsider our price. If the value to us goes up then the price I'm willing to pay goes up too

4 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

I'm with you. Couldn't even say with certainty that he'd be a regular, so I wouldn't want to pay much. I just think there will be a team with a real need at that position so they'll be willing to pay more. Having said that, if our needs change (injury, other trade, etc..) then we should reconsider our price. If the value to us goes up then the price I'm willing to pay goes up too

Fair enough, I suppose wait and see, weigh our need against what the market value is.

5 minutes ago, RenJob said:

Fair enough, I suppose wait and see, weigh our need against what the market value is.

exactly. Hopefully we don't "need" anything, because I don't want to change the meat and potatoes of what we have going now

Also, we should try to get LB a couple more starts before the deadline. Not because I think he could be our guy for this year, but to better estimate how long we're going to need this new backup for. That is the only position that I think is a glaring problem right now

Edited by Fogolin2

Moves I would like to see happen before the expansion

-Davidson/ 2nd for Shatty(we probably lose Davety him to expansion anyway)

-pick up a back-up goalie for playoffs

-pick up a rental forward for playoffs

After expansion

-Poo gone

-Trade RNH  for assets and or prospects

-Trade for Jacob Trouba unless Shatty signs

-sign Joe Thornton

-an experienced depth bottom 6

2017 Oilers

Maroon-McD-Drai

Lucic-Thorntom-Ebs

Pitlick-Cags-JP

Sleppy-Letestu-Kassian

Klef-Larsson

Sekera-Shatty/Trouba

Nurse-Benning

Talbot

?

Edited by johnnyterrible

27 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

-Davidson/ 2nd for either Shatty(we probably lose him to expoansion anyway

After expansion

-Poo gone

-sign Joe Thornton

Shatty is going to command a 1st round pick, likely won't re-sign , will be difficult to protect if he does sign. Pass

If you need your back up in the playoffs your probably in trouble, but I wouldn't mind getting someone for the rest of the season, just so Talbot can enter the playoffs well rested instead of playing every non-back to back game.

As for off season moves, too much can happen between the draft and free agency to predict what will happen.  It depends on who is available, and who resigns.

Edit*

Oh and I'm hoping pouliot plays well enough down the stretch to convince Vegas to claim him in expansion

Edited by RenJob

26 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

After expansion

-Poo gone

-sign Joe Thornton

2017 Oilers

Maroon-McD-Drai

Lucic-Thorntom-Ebs

Pitlick-Cags-JP

Sleppy-Letestu-Kassian

Klef-Larsson

Sekera-Shatty/Trouba

Nurse-Benning

Talbot

?

Big time NO to Trouba , way too much baggage for an overrated defensman.

Big NO to Shattenkirk , he wants to play in the East and turned us down already screw him 

Yes to back up goalie , need one , not a secret

Yes to rental forward as long as cost is cheap

After expansion 

Big yes to removing Pouliot

Big no to RNH  , especially if we are just getting prospects or picks , that is just dumb , he is still really young , and your bias in chat aside , he is a better all around player than a lot of others , plus who takes over our 2nd line center spot? Our best RW Draisitl?

Big no to Trouba , Thornton and Shattenkirk , just a huge no

Experienced depth in the bottom six? Sure as long as the price is not too high.

1 hour ago, johnnyterrible said:

After expansion

-Poo gone

-sign Joe Thornton

2017 Oilers

Maroon-McD-Drai

Lucic-Thorntom-Ebs

Pitlick-Cags-JP

Sleppy-Letestu-Kassian

Klef-Larsson

Sekera-Shatty/Trouba

Nurse-Benning

Talbot

?

I like these ideas (especially Shatt) but Jumbo Joe is getting long in the tooth. Not sure he's the right direction. As a rental I would say yes but  . . . 

48 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

I like these ideas (especially Shatt) but Jumbo Joe is getting long in the tooth. Not sure he's the right direction. As a rental I would say yes but  . . . 

He's definitely the right direction to win a cup imo.  Signs a 2 year which doesn't cripple us.  Is a proven player.  Can slow the game to his speed..and Loochs.  Played for TM.  Mentor to Drai and JP and Cags

Remember, Chia signed a 41 year old Recchi when Bos was ready to compete.

Plus, tbh, Big Joe would have as good a shot here as any at wining a cup.  If not next year then the one after for sure

Just my thoughts anyway.  I don't buy the whole age thing.  If Big Joe would have declined, it would have shown already. He had a monster year last year and he's still being asked to be there #1 guy this year.

As weird as this sounds, we could actually shelter him more than they can and take some off his plate

So, basically you want to retool the whole team 2 months before playoffs?

The trade deadline is to make a couple tweaks. It's where teams sell high so they can go into the next year with assets.

Sometimes a team will pick up a major cog like Pittsburgh with Kessel. But it's rare.

We may pick up Halak. May pick up some depth. But nothing more.

I am betting our protection list is set, and unless some kind of weird great deal comes up, I don't think Edmonton is making a move.

I don't think Pittsburgh will trade Fluery to either Calgary or Winnipeg for a decent return.

Never thought of Disco Joe but, why would he leave San Jose? I'd say they have a similar shot at winning the Cup as we do...and it's nice to be rich in California  

1 hour ago, Oil_Dude said:

Big time NO to Trouba , way too much baggage for an overrated defensman.

Big NO to Shattenkirk , he wants to play in the East and turned us down already screw him 

Yes to back up goalie , need one , not a secret

Yes to rental forward as long as cost is cheap

After expansion 

Big yes to removing Pouliot

Big no to RNH  , especially if we are just getting prospects or picks , that is just dumb , he is still really young , and your bias in chat aside , he is a better all around player than a lot of others , plus who takes over our 2nd line center spot? Our best RW Draisitl?

Big no to Trouba , Thornton and Shattenkirk , just a huge no

Experienced depth in the bottom six? Sure as long as the price is not too high.

No bias in the slightest OD.  They are calculated moves I think

RNH and Ebs cannot remain on this team with their current salaries.  One has to go. C's usually get more value.  And as this team starts to win, our draft picks become less valuable.  Trading one for prospects is the right move imo

Trouba overrated.  Matter of opinion for sure But   He has 17 points in 34 games this year. Plays 24min a night.   Plays our physical style of hockey.  Can work a pp. And has always been a plus player. 

Thornton..read my reply to Telly

Shatty..that is indeed the word on the street, that he only wants the east. But some other sources are saying now that things change and they are hearing so.  Anyway, you still pony up for Shatty to help you in the playoffs imo.  The better this team does there..rental or not...the more we are able to do in the summer cuz we become that much more legit.  Sorry OD, but I'm not being biased at all.  Your screw him comment shows that you are tho. 

57 minutes ago, Dooyas said:

So, basically you want to retool the whole team 2 months before playoffs?

The trade deadline is to make a couple tweaks. It's where teams sell high so they can go into the next year with assets.

Sometimes a team will pick up a major cog like Pittsburgh with Kessel. But it's rare.

We may pick up Halak. May pick up some depth. But nothing more.

I am betting our protection list is set, and unless some kind of weird great deal comes up, I don't think Edmonton is making a move.

I don't think Pittsburgh will trade Fluery to either Calgary or Winnipeg for a decent return.

Trading Davidson and a pick for Shattenkirk is retooling the whole team?  My post had pre-expansion and summer

Edited by johnnyterrible

52 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

Never thought of Disco Joe but, why would he leave San Jose? I'd say they have a similar shot at winning the Cup as we do...and it's nice to be rich in California  

2 years back the owner and GM publicly slayed him.  He refused to work with them on a trade outta spite.Unless they win the cup this year, that relationship is all but over imo, for both sides.  Marleau is gone too.