The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
mrtea

Thoughts on PC's next moves?

Call me crazy but if the 2018-2019 Oilers have an awful season I see one player being put up for trade.....Leon. we have seen the value or non value of moving Nuge and Lucic.....my next best guess would be Leon for a proven d man and a couple forwards. 

6 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

Call me crazy but if the 2018-2019 Oilers have an awful season I see one player being put up for trade.....Leon. we have seen the value or non value of moving Nuge and Lucic.....my next best guess would be Leon for a proven d man and a couple forwards. 

?His contract is also unmovable you such a troll.

1 hour ago, Douglassbanks said:

?His contract is also unmovable you such a troll.

Karlsson was a NMC.....hmmm he is a Shark now.

2 hours ago, Posthugger said:

What if (and it's pretty realistic) we get to game 30 and on the bubble, and Rattie has the same numbers as Nuge?

31 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

What if (and it's pretty realistic) we get to game 30 and on the bubble, and Rattie has the same numbers as Nuge?

That’s a very good point. For me, he only has value on McD’s wing. If the blender comes out and he goes back to center his stock plummets and he’s definite trade bait

1 minute ago, Messrules11 said:

That’s a very good point. For me, he only has value on McD’s wing. If the blender comes out and he goes back to center his stock plummets and he’s definite trade bait

If that's true, then he's a 6million dollar passenger, and Rattie is a $800k passenger.

Nuge is better than some centers in the league, but I don't think those teams want to give us an asset and pay that upgrade 6mil

2 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

If that's true, then he's a 6million dollar passenger, and Rattie is a $800k passenger.

Nuge is better than some centers in the league, but I don't think those teams want to give us an asset and pay that upgrade 6mil

I think that’s the main reason why Hall and Ebs are gone but we still have Nuge 

4 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I think that’s the main reason why Hall and Ebs are gone but we still have Nuge 

I think Ebs asked out, but it kind of explains the return. I would expect similar for Nuge, and people would lose their freaking minds

It won't happen, but the meltdown would be epic

2 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

I think Ebs asked out, but it kind of explains the return. I would expect similar for Nuge, and people would lose their freaking minds

It won't happen, but the meltdown would be epic

I think your right about Ebs, he wanted out. Nuge isn’t the worst center in the league but in the 6M comparables at center league wide I’ll bet he’s valued near the bottom by most GM’s. He’s only scored more than 20 twice in his career. Of course if he gets dealt he’ll probably go on to win a Selke or haunt us everytime he plays us

On 10/7/2018 at 9:42 PM, Fogolin2 said:

That's why i think Leon will be the next big PC move...Nuge did not have the return or interest. 

17 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

That's why i think Leon will be the next big PC move...Nuge did not have the return or interest. 

8.5m for 7 years is going to be tough to move. Maybe tougher than Nuge's 6m for 3.

Might just have to get used to the group we have. I don't see any big obvious changes.

1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

8.5m for 7 years is going to be tough to move. Maybe tougher than Nuge's 6m for 3.

Might just have to get used to the group we have. I don't see any big obvious changes.

I was originally speculating if this season went sour big changes were due...if PC was making the decisions in my mind Leon would really be the only player that could be moved for pieces. I look at what Hall and Ebs brought...Nurse,klef or Talbot would not generate much....other then Connor  only Leon would fit the bill.

No panic buttons after one game.... as a fan I do not think enough was done to correct the problems here.This talk of playoffs being the goal is not good....I would rather here let's play for 60 minutes and after that worry about the next game.

Edited by Posthugger

On ‎10‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:41 AM, Posthugger said:

I was originally speculating if this season went sour big changes were due...if PC was making the decisions in my mind Leon would really be the only player that could be moved for pieces. I look at what Hall and Ebs brought...Nurse,klef or Talbot would not generate much....other then Connor  only Leon would fit the bill.

No panic buttons after one game.... as a fan I do not think enough was done to correct the problems here.This talk of playoffs being the goal is not good....I would rather here let's play for 60 minutes and after that worry about the next game.

Speculating on PC's next move is anyone's guess right now. Now that the team is actually playing good I still would like to see a quality addition to the wings or even defense, but since the defense and the wings are playing much better than many expected there is no sense of urgency any more. So I am hoping for a quality winger to be brought in or another offensive defenseman to fill in while we wait for Bear, Jones and Bouchard to mature enough for active NHL duty.

1.Send JP and Yam's to Bakersfield. I thought a few games in, that Yam should stay, but now that our more experienced wingers have they're game together, I think it's time for both of them to play top 6 mins for the Condors, get points, develop properly and gain confidence. That's what good organization's do. 

2. Call Marody back up. In a small sample, seems like a smart hockey player. Can easily blend in when and where needed. 

3. Find a suitor for Lucic. As much as 2.5 retained. Kings, Rangers, etc...I almost don't care at this point. We could really use as mrtea said, another quality winger and a dman. I'd settle for either at this point over Lucic. The swagger he may provide isn't enough in today's NHL to warrant 6M, with those hands of stone. Hands of stone may come in handy as an enforcer, but not as a top 9 forward who can't finish gifted passes...We have others like Khaira, Kassian, Nurse, who can step up if things get rough.

- We need a 3rd line LW who can play smart hockey, keep the play alive, and finish once in a while. A quality winger for or whomever plays 3rd line center. Strome this year, probably McLeod next year...And if we can't procure a RD, than an LD better than Garrison would be nice...Nathan Beaulieu would be interesting. May cost us Benning, but would give us better long term cover on the left side, and would also provide some muscle should things get rough. Ultimately would like to see a smart winger like a Pearson, Namestnikov type in that 3-4M range to help provide a better 3rd line, or can be inserted higher in the lineup if needed...If Strome remains 3rd line pivot, a player like mentioned above would surely help. I've mentioned those two paticular wingers because they may be available...

Edited by dkers77

Cont'd:

This lineup would be great, based on possible scenario I posted above,

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie

Rieder - Draisaitl - Chiasson

Pearson/Namestnikov - Strome - Caggulia, either of these players would be better than Lucic, and would benefit Strome on this line..

Khaira - Brodziak - Kassian

Klefbom - Larsson

Nurse - Russell

Beaulieu - Bear - I think this would be a good pairing

Edited by dkers77

Does Chiarelli fire TM and hire Joel Quenville to be Head coach of the Oilers ? Quenville was fired in Chicago .

Would be awesome . But I think not .

I heard PC was at a couple Pens games, and Rutherford may want to shake things up..?

If anything it's likely to be a one for one trade...

But just for poops and giggles...

Here's a couple one for ones I'd do...any and all of them in theory...would help playoff push

Lucic  2.5 retained (3.5M) for Rust (3.5M) - same money, similar term for Pens...Pens get a premium policeman that they've missed since Reaves. We get a speedster who can play up and down lineup...

Strome (3.1M) for Sheahan (2.1M) - similar players, similar pedigree...who may complement their new teams wingers on 3rd line better than the former...and we save 1M.

3rd for Hagelin  (4M) - Another veteran speedster who can play up and down lineup...

Kassian for 3rd (Carolina) - Carolina have cap space and could use some muscle. We get our 3rd back...

Lineup:

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie

Rieder - Draisaitl - Rust - 2 speedsters flanking Leon would be deadly on the forecheck...

Hagelin - Sheahan - Caggulia - totally different 3rd line to work with...good hockey sense and speed on both sides...

Khaira - Brodziak - Chiasson

Marody

I honestly think in any of these deals, Rutherford would be asking for Caggulia or JP back...in that case Marody is a smart player who could fill in that 3rd line...if another ready body isn't coming back...but would hate to lose the Drake...and obviously a deal involving JP would change proposals above as well...This is what I'd propose if I was PC...

These deals work for both clubs currently against the cap.  And may even give us ability to move a Hagelin at deadline should he not fit...as he'd be a cheap rental for someone at that point, and we could get a prospect or pick back for...and helps Pens at deadline as well...

Sheahan's contract ends this year, as does Hagelin's...and we save what we would have paid Strome and Kassian till 2020...

Allowing us to spend or attract a top 6 forward or 4 hole Dman. McLeod likely slots in at 3rd line center next year anyway, if we don't re-sign Sheahan...or even better if Sheahan is good in Oiler silks he'd be a great 4th line center, replacing Brodz. 

These deals look like they change team's drastically but really it would benefit all clubs involved, and works salary wise...and the introduction of a couple new players for each the Pens and Oilers shouldn't mess with chemistry for either in a negative way...

That lineup above would be awesome IMO.

Edited by dkers77

1 hour ago, dkers77 said:

I heard PC was at a couple Pens games, and Rutherford may want to shake things up..?

Here's a couple one for ones I'd do...any and all of them in theory...would help playoff push

Lucic  2.5 retained (3.5M) for Rust (3.5M) - same money, similar term for Pens...Pens get a premium policeman that they've missed since Reaves. We get a speedster who can play up and down lineup...

I kno your just having fun but you do know what a NMV clause is don’t you?

16 minutes ago, Yuke said:

I kno your just having fun but you do know what a NMV clause is don’t you?

Yes, as far as I can tell Rust doesn't have NMC, and I'm thinking Lucic would agree to trade to Pens...

Edited by dkers77

3 hours ago, dkers77 said:

Strome (3.1M) for Sheahan (2.1M) - similar players, similar pedigree...who may complement their new teams wingers on 3rd line better than the former...and we save 1M.

3rd for Hagelin  (4M) - Another veteran speedster who can play up and down lineup...

Kassian for 3rd (Carolina) - Carolina have cap space and could use some muscle. We get our 3rd back...

Lineup:

Nuge - McDavid - Rattie

Rieder - Draisaitl - Rust - 2 speedsters flanking Leon would be deadly on the forecheck...

Hagelin - Sheahan - Caggulia - totally different 3rd line to work with...good hockey sense and speed on both sides...

Khaira - Brodziak - Chiasson

Marody

I honestly think in any of these deals, Rutherford would be asking for Caggulia or JP back...in that case Marody is a smart player who could fill in that 3rd line...if another ready body isn't coming back...but would hate to lose the Drake...and obviously a deal involving JP would change proposals above as well...This is what I'd propose if I was PC...

These deals work for both clubs currently against the cap.  And may even give us ability to move a Hagelin at deadline should he not fit...as he'd be a cheap rental for someone at that point, and we could get a prospect or pick back for...and helps Pens at deadline as well...

Sheahan's contract ends this year, as does Hagelin's...and we save what we would have paid Strome and Kassian till 2020...

Allowing us to spend or attract a top 6 forward or 4 hole Dman. McLeod likely slots in at 3rd line center next year anyway, if we don't re-sign Sheahan...or even better if Sheahan is good in Oiler silks he'd be a great 4th line center, replacing Brodz. 

These deals look like they change team's drastically but really it would benefit all clubs involved, and works salary wise...and the introduction of a couple new players for each the Pens and Oilers shouldn't mess with chemistry for either in a negative way...

That lineup above would be awesome IMO.

I'd hate to see Chiarelli hosed by Rutherford again . JP going the other way would be fine if they could get Rust , I'd even be ok with Oleksiak . But we'd probably just end up with Sprong . 

It's a shame the Oilers didn't do Louie Eriksson for Milan Lucic in the summer .... now Eriksson has 9 points to Lucic's 4, and looks like a leader who changes the trajectory of games., while Lucic .... is Lucic.

On 11/6/2018 at 10:52 AM, billpayor said:

Does Chiarelli fire TM and hire Joel Quenville to be Head coach of the Oilers ? Quenville was fired in Chicago .

Would be awesome . But I think not .

We can dream.