• Announcements

• Admin9

Real Time Chat Room   04/19/2017

As most of you know Invision announced they were retiring chat April 30th.   After speaking with our webmaster the Oilers Organization has decided to cover the cost to have a new chat application added to the forums. Hope to have this up and running within a week for you all.
      Thanks A9
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OilyJetFan

Can the Oilers win it all this year?

38 posts in this topic

I won't make this poll, as no one knows. However I have two words for you below. I have no idea if the Oilers can maintain the pace they did in game two for the rest of the playoffs. Of course there is no way they can play like that every game, there will be games where they'll have to tone it down a bit just to 'rest up' for the 'next game'. But other than lack of finish (and penalty trouble) - they played an EA sports like game last night. I don't believe I've ever seen a team play with this much speed and be as physical as they were. If we do keep playing like this and for some unknown reason (like say the Sharks start scoring tons of PP goals) they end up beating us, I don't think there'd be much left of the Sharks but 'chum' for the next round and they'll go out four straight. Lots of 'IF's' here but if we can play like that even two out of every three games, I really don't know who can match against us. McDavid isn't even really going yet. 

Oh, my two words - think back to last year and the BPL:
Leicester City

I give them a 6.25% chance to win the Stanley Cup.

1 minute ago, Hemer83_2.0 said:

I give them a 6.25% chance to win the Stanley Cup.

Wow - way better odds than Leicester City had LOL. 

Posted (edited)

2 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Wow - way better odds than Leicester City had LOL. 

6.25% = 1/16 LOL

I'm pretty confident in my odds

Edited by Hemer83_2.0

Just now, Hemer83_2.0 said:

6.25% = 1/16 LOL

Hey - yep good point. But seriously - that game last night outside the penalties and lack of finish (and lack of chances overall by our #1 line) was near perfect. If we can maintain this pace the game 4 win over the Sharks will be a walk as there'll be nothing left of them. 

OJF...you may be overstating the momentum from that game.  We didn't get burned last night on our penalties because the Sharks are bottom 5 on the PP in the league, so we stood a good chance of surviving that.  As teams advance, it becomes a more select group of achievers - and ability to control games. 

I love the momentum we now have IN THIS SERIES and the odds of winning it.

Posted (edited)

So many variables. What can determine any teams fate is injuries. While I love the tough, physical and shot blocking way they played, it takes a toll on even a young team like the Oilers.

We nearly lost Russell last night and who knows how Klef is doing. Losing those two in an early round game would be the end of their chances. 

So a few big IF's, 

1) if they can stay healthy

2) If they, as a group, can elevate to the play of Kassian

3) If the top line produces like they did the last 2 months

4) Talbot plays this solid till the end.

5) If they can stay out of the box a LOT more

I'd say a 30% chance they can make it to the finals and a 10% chance they could win it. 

Edited by PeterTz

2 minutes ago, RapierShot said:

OJF...you may be overstating the momentum from that game.  We didn't get burned last night on our penalties because the Sharks are bottom 5 on the PP in the league, so we stood a good chance of surviving that.  As teams advance, it becomes a more select group of achievers - and ability to control games. 

I love the momentum we now have IN THIS SERIES and the odds of winning it.

Exactly, One game is by no means an indication of the future. Can they play with fewer penalties and still maintain this style of play? The Sharks will adapt as we did after game one. If they play smarter and close on more of these chances, then maybe they can go deep. If not, either the Sharks or anther team will take the opportunities given and the Oilers will be fighting uphill. 

No team can maintain that physical level of play like last night and expect to get to the final. Its too taxing.!...The players ( Kazz, Lucic, Maroon, Larsson, Nurse  etc) need to be opportunist and hit only when neccessary. But we need to hit their "star"  players and wear them down at every opportunity  , dont waste too much energy on the 3rd 4th liners, just rub them out....Also, we need to stay out of the penalty box...this plays into our energy reserves, especially to Klefbom, Larsson Kazz, Sekera, Nuge, McD.....What im saying is ....WE NEED TO PACE OURSELVES!....WE NEED TO BE SMART EXPENDING OUR ENERGY! ....It's gonna be key if we wanna get to the main show....B)

5 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

No team can maintain that physical level of play like last night and expect to get to the final. Its too taxing.!...The players ( Kazz, Lucic, Maroon, Larsson, Nurse  etc) need to be opportunist and hit only when neccessary. But we need to hit their "star"  players and wear them down at every opportunity  , dont waste too much energy on the 3rd 4th liners, just rub them out....Also, we need to stay out of the penalty box...this plays into our energy reserves, especially to Klefbom, Larsson Kazz, Sekera, Nuge, McD.....What im saying is ....WE NEED TO PACE OURSELVES!....WE NEED TO BE SMART EXPENDING OUR ENERGY! ....It's gonna be key if we wanna get to the main show....B)

Yah give lucic advise on how to play a playoff game... he doesn't know much about that at all.

3 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

Yah give lucic advise on how to play a playoff game... he doesn't know much about that at all.

I'm trying to help him win more Cups...I've won awards for giving good advice.....B)

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

I'm trying to help him win more Cups...I've won awards for giving good advice.....B)

Darwin Awards?

Edited by Hemer83_2.0
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Hemer83_2.0 said:

Darwin Awards?

Hehehehe 

I think as it stands now our chances are as good as anyone's, but the irony is that we stand a better chance of winning it all by not focusing on the end goal at this time. At this point we need to focus on the next game against the sharks. The only way to win it all is by taking it game by game, once we get ahead of ourselves we lose focus on the game at hand and could lose the games we need to get there. It's almost a paradox, at the very least a conundrum.

So let's make it less complicated, play to win one game at a time.

A couple of factors would have to come into play to win it all.

1. Health. If there are no significant injuries

2. Keep consistent physical play. If they believe in themselves.

There are other factors but these two will go along ways to going deep in the playoffs.

3 hours ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

I wish there was a way to indicate that we don't like a post cause this is one. Sorry C2G but you couldn't be more wrong.

Posted (edited)

2 hours ago, Telly-Belly said:

I wish there was a way to indicate that we don't like a post cause this is one. Sorry C2G but you couldn't be more wrong.

Telly, watch the Pens - Blue Jackets series and you'll know what I'm talking about!...I can explain it to you, and to others in more detail,  but I want you to discover it for yourselves... Ask Totorella and the BJs  how their "physical" game plan against the Pens is going for them......

Telly my good friend,  most times we've seen things eye to eye... You've chaaannnged ...:ph34r:

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

1 minute ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Telly, watch the Pens - Blue Jackets series and you'll know what I'm talking about!...I can explain it you, and to others in more detail,  but I want you to discover it for yourselves... Ask Totorella and the BJs  how their "physical" game plan against the Pens is going for them......Telly my good friend. ....you've chaaannnged ...:ph34r:

Haven't changed at all. It's the Oilers that have changed. No longer are they pushed around. I can agree they have to be smart and not take dumb penalties after plays but when we own a team with 37 hits in a game that should and better not change. As for getting tired, that is what the playoffs are all about.  Nope C2G, it's you that's changed. Notice that it's the BIG boys that play the hitting game anyway. While McD does hit, it's not his primary game. Kass, Lucic, Maroon, Nurse and Larsson must play the physical game so that the skilled players like McD, LD, Eberle, RNH, Let and Cag, can have room. We finally have a team that won't be pushed around and you want us to take two steps backward? Tell me it ain't so my friend!

Yep - Lucic hasn't been that physical this year, - he's been saving it for the playoffs no sense in taking it easy now. I get was C2G is saying, and I said the exact same thing in my OP - "there are games where we'll have to tone it down a bit". What I'm saying is we can play this style probably 3 to 4 times a series, and if McDavid/Drai start connecting I can't see any team that can beat us when we're on like that. No one. Not Chicago. Not Washington, Not Pittsburgh. We can skate as fast as any of them and for once we can be even more physical then them. San Jose is a 'big' team, but we made them look small. Even Burns in the interview after the game had a look - a worried look, on his face. He said the right thing but I really don't think the Sharks expected that kind of physicality for a full 60 minutes. And Tea, you're 100% right the OILERS players and coaches need to take it one game at a time. I'm a fan - I don't ;)

6 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Yep - Lucic hasn't been that physical this year, - he's been saving it for the playoffs no sense in taking it easy now. I get was C2G is saying, and I said the exact same thing in my OP - "there are games where we'll have to tone it down a bit". What I'm saying is we can play this style probably 3 to 4 times a series, and if McDavid/Drai start connecting I can't see any team that can beat us when we're on like that. No one. Not Chicago. Not Washington, Not Pittsburgh. We can skate as fast as any of them and for once we can be even more physical then them. San Jose is a 'big' team, but we made them look small. Even Burns in the interview after the game had a look - a worried look, on his face. He said the right thing but I really don't think the Sharks expected that kind of physicality for a full 60 minutes. And Tea, you're 100% right the OILERS players and coaches need to take it one game at a time. I'm a fan - I don't ;)

I loved that interview with Burns but I also loved seeing Cou almost cry. The Sharks are totally surprised and even overwhelmed by the Oilers. There was a point last night that they were looking like the old Oilers (running around and totally owned in the offensive zone).

36 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

Haven't changed at all. It's the Oilers that have changed. No longer are they pushed around. I can agree they have to be smart and not take dumb penalties after plays but when we own a team with 37 hits in a game that should and better not change. As for getting tired, that is what the playoffs are all about.  Nope C2G, it's you that's changed. Notice that it's the BIG boys that play the hitting game anyway. While McD does hit, it's not his primary game. Kass, Lucic, Maroon, Nurse and Larsson must play the physical game so that the skilled players like McD, LD, Eberle, RNH, Let and Cag, can have room. We finally have a team that won't be pushed around and you want us to take two steps backward? Tell me it ain't so my friend!

I still consider you one of my few friends around here..but even friends disagree at times!..NP..;)......Don't get me wrong Telly I DO like the hits we're putting on them...I wish somebody would rock Pavelski,, he perturbs me....He's gonna be in McD's face tomorrow, so somebody needs to take him around the back alley...B)   

5 hours ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Telly, watch the Pens - Blue Jackets series and you'll know what I'm talking about!...I can explain it to you, and to others in more detail,  but I want you to discover it for yourselves... Ask Totorella and the BJs  how their "physical" game plan against the Pens is going for them......

Telly my good friend,  most times we've seen things eye to eye... You've chaaannnged ...:ph34r:

LA won 2 cups recently playing that physical.  So did Bos.

C2G..you haven't changed

If they can keep focused, cut down the penalties and still maintain the physical play, they can do it. They have a long way to go, but we're a lot closer than we were this time last year. 

Here's what we need to do.... 

5 minutes ago, hillcat said:

we're a lot closer than we were this time last year. 

You don't say? Tell me more sensei. 

1 person likes this