• Announcements

• Admin9

Real Time Chat Room   04/19/2017

As most of you know Invision announced they were retiring chat April 30th.   After speaking with our webmaster the Oilers Organization has decided to cover the cost to have a new chat application added to the forums. Hope to have this up and running within a week for you all.
      Thanks A9
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
OilyJetFan

Reinhart Recalled

30 posts in this topic

Just read that GF has been recalled. That doesn't mean the Klef it out necessarily -they may want him in for practicing. 

Officially getting nervous. I heard what TM said and I know we may have others recalled but I am getting nervous. LOL

4 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

Officially getting nervous. I heard what TM said and I know we may have others recalled but I am getting nervous. LOL

LOL me too. I'm hoping like I said its for experience / practicing. PC did say that Grif's game was getting a lot better but TBH I'd rather find out about his game in TC next season, not in an elimination game or something lol

Just now, OilyJetFan said:

LOL me too. I'm hoping like I said its for experience / practicing. PC did say that Grif's game was getting a lot better but TBH I'd rather find out about his game in TC next season, not in an elimination game or something lol

JT did say, in another thread, that we may see other players recalled too. Still, I'm nervous until they take the ice on Sunday. :th_paranoid:

Yep they are officially eliminated. Does anyone know the roster limit for the playoffs? Or is there one? I now in Baseball you have to name your roster before each series I'm not sure what the rule for hockey is.

3 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Yep they are officially eliminated. Does anyone know the roster limit for the playoffs? Or is there one? I now in Baseball you have to name your roster before each series I'm not sure what the rule for hockey is.

Hockey is interesting on this. Not sure of the roster cap, but I think their is a transaction limit. Also there is no salary cap, which is interesting.

Posted (edited)

I always like to see someone come in with something to prove.   Especially for a young guy like him, I just know that those who call him a bust are way out to lunch.  He has been the best Dman for Bakersfield after a slow start.   He's still only 23 years old.  I wouldn't expect him to play in a game right away, and maybe not at all this playoffs, but he does belong here for sure.   

This is an opportunity.  He will be in practices, and maybe he can out shine someone or be an interesting replacement option if we have a bad stretch of games.

Edited by daffy_duck

Wonder if this means TM is going to dress 7 defensemen tomorrow, just in case the Klef starts but can't finish....

10 minutes ago, Naggy said:

Wonder if this means TM is going to dress 7 defensemen tomorrow, just in case the Klef starts but can't finish....

I'm pretty sure the timing of the recall has everything to do with Bakersfield being eliminated from making the playoffs.  Klefbom has said he is fine and Tmac says he's going to play.    That means whatever is wrong with Klef is nothing like a broken bone.  Likely a bit of a bruise.

Posted (edited)

I doubt he gets into the lineup.  One thing is for sure though.  For two straight years Big Griff has been sent down with the message to work on his foot speed and mobility.  And for two straight years he has shown no growth in those areas.  If he wants to ever make it in the NHL, he had better have improved this time, the only thing he has had going for him so far is size .... and that don't cut it alone in the NHL.  All of Oesterle, Simpson, and Fayne have been playing ahead of Griff in Bakersfield ... in spite of the coach's report of how great GR has been this year (obvious PR move).  Nothing about him says "late bloomer" .... in fact everything, so far, has said the exact opposite.

Edited by DeutchOil

3 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

I doubt he gets into the lineup.  One thing is for sure though.  For two straight years Big Griff has been sent down with the message to work on his foot speed and mobility.  And for two straight years he has shown no growth in those areas.  If he wants to ever make it in the NHL, he had better have improved this time, the only thing he has had going for him so far is size .... and that don't cut it alone in the NHL.  All of Oesterle, Simpson, and Fayne have been playing ahead of Griff in Bakersfield ... in spite of the coach's report of how great GR has been this year (obvious PR move).  Nothing about him says "late bloomer" .... in fact everything, so far, has said the exact opposite.

Hey Deutch - where did you hear that? Or did you see the ice time stats (I haven't looked). I'm actually surprised that Mark Fayne hasn't been 'called up' too - in case a RH d goes down. We are four deep there (Larsson, Russell, Benning, Gryba) and Russell can easily move over to the left (his natural position) if say Klef does in fact need to sit out (he won't I hear he's fine just using that as an example) but yeah, another Left shot dman called up when we only have 3 RH shots on the roster... says a lot about Fayne and if he was playing ahead of Reinhart (not debating here just wondering out loud) then to me my guess is they'll buy him out this summer.

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Hey Deutch - where did you hear that? Or did you see the ice time stats (I haven't looked). I'm actually surprised that Mark Fayne hasn't been 'called up' too - in case a RH d goes down. We are four deep there (Larsson, Russell, Benning, Gryba) and Russell can easily move over to the left (his natural position) if say Klef does in fact need to sit out (he won't I hear he's fine just using that as an example) but yeah, another Left shot dman called up when we only have 3 RH shots on the roster... says a lot about Fayne and if he was playing ahead of Reinhart (not debating here just wondering out loud) then to me my guess is they'll buy him out this summer.

I looked at a good many game sheets for Condors games (was curious about Lander and Puljujarvi) ... and Griff was more often then not #4 in minutes played .... buoyed by PP time ... in which he wasn't overly effective.  He is Bakersfield's most physical defender.  But that isn't saying much .... not with 40 some total PIMs over the full season.

The game sheets did not bare out what the coach said in that one interview half way through the first half of the season when he was asked point blank about Reinhart's development, and if he was showing any improvement.  What is the coach going to say when asked such an obvious targeted question? l.o.l.

Edited by DeutchOil

Just now, DeutchOil said:

I looked at a good many game sheets for Condors games (was curious about Lander and Puljujarvi) ... and Griff was more often then not #4 in minutes played .... buoyed by PP time ... in which he wasn't overly effective.  He is Bakersfield's most physical defender.  But that isn't saying much .... not with 40 some total PIMs over the full season.

Ah got ya. Yes that certainly says a lot doesn't it? #4 in ice playing behind a Mark Fayne (though in fairness Fayne is a right shot). I wonder if they were partners down there. Well, I guess we'll see. Oilers gave up a lot for him so I'm sure they're going to give him every chance and then some to turn it around before they give up on him. My bet is next he gets a two year deal for less than a million (around 750k) though not a two day deal (so he'll make his money here or in Bakersfield) but that may be it for him. Personally, I don't see where he fits - I don't think he can play right D though I think he might have with the Oil Kings. But on the left side he's pooched - Sekera is here another three years, Klef isn't going anywhere, and Nurse albeit still developing is miles ahead of Griff in skating and physicality that we can live with his positional errors. I really don't know where Reinhart fits here. 

Posted (edited)

6 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Ah got ya. Yes that certainly says a lot doesn't it? #4 in ice playing behind a Mark Fayne (though in fairness Fayne is a right shot). I wonder if they were partners down there. Well, I guess we'll see. Oilers gave up a lot for him so I'm sure they're going to give him every chance and then some to turn it around before they give up on him. My bet is next he gets a two year deal for less than a million (around 750k) though not a two day deal (so he'll make his money here or in Bakersfield) but that may be it for him. Personally, I don't see where he fits - I don't think he can play right D though I think he might have with the Oil Kings. But on the left side he's pooched - Sekera is here another three years, Klef isn't going anywhere, and Nurse albeit still developing is miles ahead of Griff in skating and physicality that we can live with his positional errors. I really don't know where Reinhart fits here. 

Griff is a very experienced AHL defender (at his age, he is approaching 'old hat' levels in the AHL).  You need a couple of those on the farm.  I wouldn't doubt that he plays out his career down there .... unless he actually believes he might have a shot somewhere else.

That said ... IF whoever worked with Drai on his skating got a hold of Griff this year (no idea on this), it is possible that Griff might actually grow .... but his issue wasn't just acceleration ... it was mobility, which hindered his defensive positional play.  But his positional play was already hindered by bad decision making.  Both Nurse and Benning are light years ahead of GR in thinking the game and anticipation.

Edited by DeutchOil

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

Reinhart has been on that top line the last 3 months and been the best defender. He was getting rave reviews.   Fayne sat on the 3rd pairing.to finish(but I think there is some bias there also.  he's done here)

I still am not a huge Reinhart fan and can agree about his mobility.  However his biggest issue here was us playing him on his wrong side.also.   It was also an issue in Bako till they sorted him out on the left..and he ended the year being very effective

Edited by johnnyterrible

10 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

Reinhart has been on that top line the last 3 months and been the best defender. He was getting rave reviews.   Fayne sat on the 3rd pairing.to finish(but I think there is some bias there also.  he's done here)

I still am not a huge Reinhart fan and can agree about his mobility.  However his biggest issue here was us playing him on his wrong side.also.   It was also an issue in Bako till they sorted him out on the left..and he ended the year being very effective

Reinhart might still turn into something. I would love nothing more for him and a few of our other AHL guys to at least take in the atmosphere (even not playing) at Rogers Place and understand what a special place Edmonton is to play for. 

54 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

Reinhart might still turn into something. I would love nothing more for him and a few of our other AHL guys to at least take in the atmosphere (even not playing) at Rogers Place and understand what a special place Edmonton is to play for. 

I think that's the plan.  I can't remember if it was Chia or TM but they said that is what they were going to do with JP also

11 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

This is why I am surprised PJs hasn't been called up yet .... if there is ONE guy who needs to be in Edmonton, in preparation for next year, I would say it IS him.

Just now, johnnyterrible said:

I think that's the plan.  I can't remember if it was Chia or TM but they said that is what they were going to do with JP also

I would bring in as many as we can (not neccessarly as call ups either , just invite them up to Edmonton for the playoffs).

Just now, DeutchOil said:

This is why I am surprised PJs hasn't been called up yet .... if there is ONE guy who needs to be in Edmonton, in preparation for next year, I would say it IS him.

He might be up all ready , just not as an official call up yet. He will be soon I think though.

4 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

I would bring in as many as we can (not neccessarly as call ups either , just invite them up to Edmonton for the playoffs).

He might be up all ready , just not as an official call up yet. He will be soon I think though.

I agree with Deutch and I hope so - Pul has to see this for himself - here the fans chant Kassian's name and know that he if puts in the work that could be him one day

2 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

Maybe at the moment it might be a chemistry aspect, they don't want to throw a monkey wrench into the gears until there are injuries or something like that.

Agreed he is the guy I'm looking forward to see patrol the RW for years to come, hopefully. I don't want to put high expectations on him, but in reality it is too late, I'm already slotting him onto one of the top lines in my mind.

Insurance and preparation experience for Reinhart. Too bad Oesterle is out because he's a much better D man IMO.  I keep harping on it but this is where the loss off Davidson is really not great but DD had a decent game last game so hopefully he builds on it.  Other than Reinhart, we don't have any D men who are close that can fill in but Gryba is still an option too so I think we're okay.  Simpson I guess would be the next guy.

2 hours ago, Chucker-70 said:

Insurance and preparation experience for Reinhart. Too bad Oesterle is out because he's a much better D man IMO.  I keep harping on it but this is where the loss off Davidson is really not great but DD had a decent game last game so hopefully he builds on it.  Other than Reinhart, we don't have any D men who are close that can fill in but Gryba is still an option too so I think we're okay.  Simpson I guess would be the next guy.

Next guy is Gryba for sure - no matter what. Russell plays LD too so if say Klef couldn't play tonight Russel would go to the left most likely as Larsson's partner, Benning would be with Sekera and Nurse/ Gryba. 

GR is the best option for a call up IMO. Stronger than Osterle and faster than Fayne.

As team speed goes I think GR will match up fine against the Sharks. Not so if it was Flames or Pens etc.

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

Next guy is Gryba for sure - no matter what. Russell plays LD too so if say Klef couldn't play tonight Russel would go to the left most likely as Larsson's partner, Benning would be with Sekera and Nurse/ Gryba. 

exactly! Though, wild card now, I think Nurse moves higher in the D corps soon. Maybe he needs to stay third pair for now, but I don't think for long.