RapierShot

GDT: OILERS @ SHARKS: ROUND 1 - GAME 3, APRIL 16 @ 8 PM (SN)

294 posts in this topic

We're playing in the Tank tonight (we won 2 there this season) and we need to build off the momentum of Game 2.  After a dominating game, we came away with a shutout and victory; however, we took 13 penalties (to their 8) and spent a lot of time on the PK (all our scoring).

The Sharks are banged up but not beaten - a vet team that doesn't like to lose.

Klefbom is reportedly able to play tonight, but Reinhart has been called up (insurance?), so it's a question of whether the Oilers go with 7 Dmen tonight.  No info on the lines yet but tinkering is not out of the question. 

GO OILERS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Huge game here. Lets keep the momentum train going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking forward to a game that bridges games 1 and 2!  Should be a barn burner, that the Oilers will take! 

Go Oilers GO :th_wave::th_wave: !!!!

Happy Easter everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Klef skating.

Jumbo Joe left the ice after 10 min

Edited by johnnyterrible
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

To this point, this is the most important game of the season. We win this and we are ready to win the series in 5 but lose it and the series will go 7.

Edited by Telly-Belly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

To this point, this is the most important game of the season. We win this and we are ready to win the series in 5 but lose it and the series will go 7.

This is a huge game ! Pretty good assessment Telly! If we win this one it'll shatter their confidence, lose it and they are very confident. The Sharks will never give up, but I'd like them to know that they're fighting a losing battle.

Oilers 5-2 in the Shark tank!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, mrtea said:

This is a huge game ! Pretty good assessment Telly! If we win this one it'll shatter their confidence, lose it and they are very confident. The Sharks will never give up, but I'd like them to know that they're fighting a losing battle.

Oilers 5-2 in the Shark tank!

We might add that the Sharks barely won game 1. They did not push us around in that game either. The Oilers simply did not play 60 minutes. They were very fortunate to win that one so they should be truly nervous. This game will make them desperate. A win and we should finish it in 5. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

We might add that the Sharks barely won game 1. They did not push us around in that game either. The Oilers simply did not play 60 minutes. They were very fortunate to win that one so they should be truly nervous. This game will make them desperate. A win and we should finish it in 5. 

Yeah, that pretty much sums up things the way I see 'em. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are rumors Thornton might play tonight. If that is the case we need to make him turn and chase a lot. Hit him every chance we get and make him use that knee of his way more than he should.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

There are rumors Thornton might play tonight. If that is the case we need to make him turn and chase a lot. Hit him every chance we get and make him use that knee of his way more than he should.

Man he is one hit away from being done for the playoffs.  It would be incredibly stupid of the Sharks to play Thornton in what is essentially game 1 of a best of 5 series with home ice advantage.  Every second he is on the ice I'd be calling for Kassian to roll.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Game 3 is the most important/pivotal in a 7 game series IMO.

Sticks and elbows down, lead with the shoulder and give 'er poop every second of the game. Please.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Man he is one hit away from being done for the playoffs.  It would be incredibly stupid of the Sharks to play Thornton in what is essentially game 1 of a best of 5 series with home ice advantage.  Every second he is on the ice I'd be calling for Kassian to roll.

If they do play him, they can only really play him on the power play or against the second line. They can't match him against McDavod's line because of the speed, they'll want to avoid Kassian's line and maybe even the checking line.

He will have a limited role if he does play. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, mrtea said:

If they do play him, they can only really play him on the power play or against the second line. They can't match him against McDavod's line because of the speed, they'll want to avoid Kassian's line and maybe even the checking line.

He will have a limited role if he does play. 

Even more reason to not play him then I would think.  Limited role, huge risk to worsen the injury, can't keep up.... it would likely give the Oilers an advantage IMO.  PLAY HIM hahahahahah

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

There are rumors Thornton might play tonight. If that is the case we need to make him turn and chase a lot. Hit him every chance we get and make him use that knee of his way more than he should.

 

47 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Man he is one hit away from being done for the playoffs.  It would be incredibly stupid of the Sharks to play Thornton in what is essentially game 1 of a best of 5 series with home ice advantage.  Every second he is on the ice I'd be calling for Kassian to roll.

 

31 minutes ago, mrtea said:

If they do play him, they can only really play him on the power play or against the second line. They can't match him against McDavod's line because of the speed, they'll want to avoid Kassian's line and maybe even the checking line.

He will have a limited role if he does play. 

 

27 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Even more reason to not play him then I would think.  Limited role, huge risk to worsen the injury, can't keep up.... it would likely give the Oilers an advantage IMO.  PLAY HIM hahahahahah

I hope they do. With a bad knee he won't be able to maneuver very well on the PP or otherwise.  This creates the opportunity for us to rush his plays and hit him to create turnovers.   I hope they play him because him and Couture are one solid hit away from being done for the season.  If we can hit him early, he'll likely sit the entire game and that just creates a hole in their roster.  

 

Haley is in and you know he's only there to try something in the first ten minutes.  Obvious player insertion to try and get Kass or somebody out of the game.  He'll be running around and trying to create something early but we have to ignore him.  He'll be stapled to the bench once the game gets going.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Chucker-70 said:

 

 

 

I hope they do. With a bad knee he won't be able to maneuver very well on the PP or otherwise.  This creates the opportunity for us to rush his plays and hit him to create turnovers.   I hope they play him because him and Couture are one solid hit away from being done for the season.  If we can hit him early, he'll likely sit the entire game and that just creates a hole in their roster.  

 

Haley is in and you know he's only there to try something in the first ten minutes.  Obvious player insertion to try and get Kass or somebody out of the game.  He'll be running around and trying to create something early but we have to ignore him.  He'll be stapled to the bench once the game gets going.

We gotta play mind games with Haley IMO. The first shift he is coming off the ice someone like Maroon or Lucic or Kassian or Nurse should challenge him and then not fight him.

Chirp the bench all night and he will do something stupid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

7 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

We gotta play mind games with Haley IMO. The first shift he is coming off the ice someone like Maroon or Lucic or Kassian or Nurse should challenge him and then not fight him.

Chirp the bench all night and he will do something stupid.

Yup. He'll be eager to drop the gloves.  Chirp him and pretend to move towards him then just skate away.  He'll fall for it and look like a fool.  It's the ONLY reason  he is playing and he's gonna want to prove to the team that he will do his job.  He'll be trying too hard IMO.

Edited by Chucker-70

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chucker-70 said:

Yup. He'll be eager to drop the gloves.  Chirp him and pretend to move towards him then just skate away.  He'll fall for it and look like a fool.  It's the ONLY reason  he is playing and he's gonna want to prove to the team that he will do his job.  He'll be trying too hard IMO.

Hell if I am Desharnis I would challenge him to a fight all night , what is the worst he is gonna do? Beat up the smallest player in the league?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

Hell if I am Desharnis I would challenge him to a fight all night , what is the worst he is gonna do? Beat up the smallest player in the league?

Oh boy.  I just pictured Chara ragdolling McCabe

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

Oh boy.  I just pictured Chara ragdolling McCabe

 

Yeah but know what? Chara didn't really do a lot of damage there to McCabe. Still though looked like a bear raping a rabbit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

Hell if I am Desharnis I would challenge him to a fight all night , what is the worst he is gonna do? Beat up the smallest player in the league?

You just want DD off the ice. :lol:  If this game is like the last one, DD will only play about 3 minutes in the first period. 

 

The point is Haley has pressure on him to deliver something to his coaches.  That can be taken advantage of because he'll be over-zealous on his attempts to create something.  It gives us the opportunity to get an early PP and have him stapled to the bench and have them down one more skater.  If we can punish Thornton early, they are down two skaters. Couture, three skaters.  So basically we use the same template as last game and hit at every opportunity and it will create this IMO.  Bringing in a guy like Haley to do the obvious rarely works out for the team that does that, especially in the playoffs.  It's a desperation move IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chucker-70 said:

You just want DD off the ice. :lol:  If this game is like the last one, DD will only play about 3 minutes in the first period. 

 

The point is Haley has pressure on him to deliver something to his coaches.  That can be taken advantage of because he'll be over-zealous on his attempts to create something.  It gives us the opportunity to get an early PP and have him stapled to the bench and have them down one more skater.  If we can punish Thornton early, they are down two skaters. Couture, three skaters.  So basically we use the same template as last game and hit at every opportunity and it will create this IMO.  Bringing in a guy like Haley to do the obvious rarely works out for the team that does that, especially in the playoffs.  It's a desperation move IMO.

Correct. 

We need to kind of ignore Haley and just keep hitting , no need to fight him  , not in San Jose anyways.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oil_Dude said:

Correct. 

We need to kind of ignore Haley and just keep hitting , no need to fight him  , not in San Jose anyways.

Yeah, just keep up the same thing as last game and clean up the penalties.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Chucker-70 said:

 

 

 

I hope they do. With a bad knee he won't be able to maneuver very well on the PP or otherwise.  This creates the opportunity for us to rush his plays and hit him to create turnovers.   I hope they play him because him and Couture are one solid hit away from being done for the season.  If we can hit him early, he'll likely sit the entire game and that just creates a hole in their roster.  

 

Haley is in and you know he's only there to try something in the first ten minutes.  Obvious player insertion to try and get Kass or somebody out of the game.  He'll be running around and trying to create something early but we have to ignore him.  He'll be stapled to the bench once the game gets going.

We need to ignore Haley. He's irrelevant and terrible. It's good news for us he's playing, makes the sharks roster worse. They're desperate and scared. 

2 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

Correct. 

We need to kind of ignore Haley and just keep hitting , no need to fight him  , not in San Jose anyways.

100%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well let's hope we clean up the dumb penalties.  That Maroon penalty I was giving him the Dougie Hamilton treatment lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Chucker-70 said:

Yeah, just keep up the same thing as last game and clean up the penalties.

And put Hendricks in for DD. More versatility there plus another guy that can hit and kill penalties.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.