Jump to content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Recommended Posts

Interesting pick. Thoughts?

My understanding is he is to spend one more season in juniors then make the jump to Bakersfield for 2018/19. 

Will we see him on the big club someday? Too early to tell of course. Either way, he will help our Condors in a big way I'm sure. We'll see if he can take it any farther then that. I'm rooting for the little dude. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see him in the same vein as Matthew Phillips, only with a little better skating.

Drafting "little guys" is always a risk, but damn they are fun to watch when they are this highly skilled.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

I see him in the same vein as Matthew Phillips, only with a little better skating.

Drafting "little guys" is always a risk, but damn they are fun to watch when they are this highly skilled.

Hey good to hear from you 420. Hehe, your last statement reminds me of a guy we recently just traded. Used to love watching him dangle his legs and the puck, but yrs later in the now, I just picturing those same legs dangling off bridges near Edmonton. :wacko: I kid I kid.

Highly skilled little guys are fun to watch. Keep Yam in the minors for a bit I reckon. I don't see a need to rush him at all here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I love this pick! :) I get the hunch he will be very good though it will take a couple years before he's NHL ready. Best case scenario he becomes our 3rd best forward. Worst case? He becomes another DD. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His size makes me very nervous. I also find it ironic that we are getting rid of most of the small players that were drafted here, only to draft one in the 1st round after we cleared house of the others.

It just seems like a risky pick to me, I hope I'm just being cautious.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Risky pick for sure but this guy sure looks driven. And he will need to be. Being a smaller player and if you want to make it your skill, chippyness, heart and desire needs to separate itself from your size. Not as skilled as Johnny hockey but he has an edge to his game for being a small player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be our Martin St. Louis or Theo Fleury....or not.  If it was MacT making the pick, then I'd worry but PC knows what real players are about - size or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

These "mighty mite" sized forwards are usually hit or miss.

The select few become Top Six forwards in the NHL, but most seldom ever play a game in the NHL.

There are always a few exceptions, Paul Byron comes to mind. 5'8", 158lbs. He plays fairly well on 3rd or 4th lines and the PK.

IMO, as of right now, Yamamoto has Top Six potential.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The talking heads seem to think we  got lucky that he fell to us.  I'm sure he will be 10-15 lbs heavier by the time he is ready to play nhl, and the team has enough size to carry a little guy.  (I love being able to say that).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my understanding he's one of the most skilled guys that was available, but I didn't pay attention to the draft at all this year. Good foot speed, highly skilled, plays a relatively big game, we'll see what happens and I look forward to watching. Size is a major concern for the Pacific division, but it's not impossible, just an added challenge, and it sounds like he's the kind of kid that feeds off of a challenge. For every Martin St.Louis, there's 100 Corey Locke's. Who's Corey Locke? Exactly.

Hopefully he makes it work, he's got a decent one-timer and would look terrific playing with guys like McDavid and/or Draisaitl. Love the kids attitude though, his comments to the Oil brass regarding why we should draft him, his statement on his personal goal to win the WHL goal scoring race this year. Exciting prospect I look forward to following.

Edited by Rekkin74

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Rekkin74 said:

From my understanding he's one of the most skilled guys that was available, but I didn't pay attention to the draft at all this year. Good foot speed, highly skilled, plays a relatively big game, we'll see what happens and I look forward to watching. Size is a major concern for the Pacific division, but it's not impossible, just an added challenge, and it sounds like he's the kind of kid that feeds off of a challenge. For every Martin St.Louis, there's 100 Corey Locke's. Who's Corey Locke? Exactly.

Hopefully he makes it work, he's got a decent one-timer and would look terrific playing with guys like McDavid and/or Draisaitl. Love the kids attitude though, his comments to the Oil brass regarding why we should draft him, his statement on his personal goal to win the WHL goal scoring race this year. Exciting prospect I look forward to following.

Lol Ya he's definitely confident.

Chiarelli: why should the Oilers draft you?

Yamamoto: because if you don't I will haunt you.

 

That's such a great answer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not just PC, it's Nickelson and a good scouting staff that we have now. We need our picks to pay off, management needs to do it's job right! Let's see if all this experience and hockey sense at the management level pays off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

His size is a concern, but on draft day someone on the TV said he plays like he's 6'2". Not physical, but strong on the puck. If that's true, then we have no issue. 5'9" 160lbs? There was another guy Chiarelli drafted in '06 that pretty much the same size, and he's one of the league's stars. Can you guys guess who it is?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, BL4NKF4CE said:

His size is a concern, but on draft day someone on the TV said he plays like he's 6'2". Not physical, but strong on the puck. If that's true, then we have no issue. 5'9" 160lbs? There was another guy Chiarelli drafted in '06 that pretty much the same size, and he's one of the league's stars. Can you guys guess who it is?

I once heard that Johnny Geaudrau was 5'6, 136 when the Flames drafted him... (thats litterally tad stalkier than I am ?) now if that is true, surely Yamamoto could bulk up a bit while hes still developing. He will never be big, yes but he CAN be strong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's good news.  Think he's the type of player that will make training camp / pre-season very interesting.  There will be a lot of buzz in the barn when he's on the ice.  Whether he sticks here or goes to the Condors, glad to have him in the system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:23 AM, RapierShot said:

That's good news.  Think he's the type of player that will make training camp / pre-season very interesting.  There will be a lot of buzz in the barn when he's on the ice.  Whether he sticks here or goes to the Condors, glad to have him in the system.

He's got another year of Junior before he can play in the AHL . He'll be 19 at training camp . Maybe they keep him around for nine games . But I doubt it .

His main competition will be Puljujarvi , or I mean Jethro , he's only 4 months older than Yamamoto . 

Edited by billpayor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, billpayor said:

He's got another year of Junior before he can play in the AHL . He'll be 19 at training camp . Maybe they keep him around for nine games . But I doubt it .

His main competition will be Puljujarvi , he's only 4 months older than Yamamoto . 

Bingo Bill. That's the exciting part about Yammy ;) ..He's a highly skilled, intelligent player already, from what I can gather anyway. Another year of junior before making the jump should only improve his game. He should be primed and ready when his time comes. 

I am optimistically/foolishly hopeful for both Y.A. and K.Y. :) I'll be watching them and J.P. the most come training camp. Good stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can't seem to dig up the post Bill but did you really bet OJF (I think it was) that Yam is gonna make the big show. That's MacT bold! Imo only way he gets a dance if is he outplays JP, which is unlikely. He's tiny and young. One more year in the dub and maybe he makes the jump to professional hockey. I meant AHL not to be misunderstood, that is pro hockey.. This youngster still has a ways to go, but he's got mad skillz so ya never know. Let's recall, we have felt this way about prospects before. But I'm pretty sure he'll spend another year in junior, which I am ok with. 

Edited by HappyHappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

Can't seem to dig up the post Bill but did you really bet OJF (I think it was) that Yam is gonna make the big show. That's MacT bold! Imo only way he gets a dance if is he outplays JP, which is unlikely. He's tiny and young. One more year in the dub and maybe he makes the jump to professional hockey. I meant AHL not to be misunderstood, that is pro hockey.. This youngster still has a ways to go, but he's got mad skillz so ya never know. Let's recall, we have felt this way about prospects before. But I'm pretty sure he'll spend another year in junior, which I am ok with. 

That would be me and the wager is if Yamamoto can stay with the club to day 15 of training camp.

I know he won't play the full season unless he plays over-the-top. Even if he plays marginally better than the other RWs, he goes down.

I agree he wouldn't make the full time roster.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Yuke said:

That would be me and the wager is if Yamamoto can stay with the club to day 15 of training camp.

I know he won't play the full season unless he plays over-the-top. Even if he plays marginally better than the other RWs, he goes down.

I agree he wouldn't make the full time roster.

Ahh gotcha, my bad. Hmm. Good bet, not sure who wins this one. How many days is TC? The grapevine has perty good reviews on the kid and he may be a standout at camp so I'm inclined to think he'd be one of the last cut. Guess we'll see. Nice bet fellas.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If competition is fierce between some of the more established guys then Yamamoto will have his time cut short so management can have a longer look.  He'll get a lot experience from his stint at TC.  I agree with those that say 2 yrs for him to get a legitimate shot on the big club.  145 no way.  165 you can at least survive.  I get he's skilled but size does matter in the NHL.  I haven't seen him skate so no idea just how fast he is though.  He'll need to be like speedy Gonzalez to avoid getting killed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The great 8 alone is 100lbs heavier that's like a 45 weight class difference in wrestling and boxing, Connor McGregor probably "cut" that amount of weight sitting in the steam room for an hour before his last fight.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/30/2017 at 9:29 AM, oilers8 said:

If competition is fierce between some of the more established guys then Yamamoto will have his time cut short so management can have a longer look.  He'll get a lot experience from his stint at TC.  I agree with those that say 2 yrs for him to get a legitimate shot on the big club.  145 no way.  165 you can at least survive.  I get he's skilled but size does matter in the NHL.  I haven't seen him skate so no idea just how fast he is though.  He'll need to be like speedy Gonzalez to avoid getting killed.

One thing I find interesting - Rishaug figures the Oilers will keep him to the end, even get him in some NHL games, whereas Gregor figures one or two preseason games max then down to junior. Same as some folks here - Yuke even saw him getting on the #1 line (as in he wouldn't be surprised) to a for sure he'll play 9 games (real) here before going back. I see it as this - when we drafted him PC said right away he wasn't drafting him to play this year. Yamamoto will be on the US junior team and there is a commitment to the the WHL. Yam is their star player - why would an NHL team, knowing full well that he's not going to be here for the year - keep him the max? WHL starts Sept 30th I believe. I can't see him staying here two weeks. He did not stand out at the young stars, he did have an assist but big deal, he's playing against other rookies, most of whom will also not be in the NHL. Now he's coming to real camp for Friday, against men. He won't be here too long - I'd be shocked if he was. They'll return him to his junior team sooner than later. I heard he's 155lb's - if he's 155, I'm 200 then. Not a chance, unless they weighed him right after a huge meal. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not seeing anything special. Taking penalties. 1 pt in the tournament. It's only for fun but he is suppose to have skill. He does play with some grit but his lack of size clearly shows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think hes played well and made lots of nice plays throughout the young stars series and this game as well. This young stars series is always disjointed, disorganized, and lacks chemistry. It gives zero indication of anything. He will get to go to camp and play with guys that are closer to his skill level. There is a lot to like about his game. There are a lot of little things in his game that are good, that indicate he has potential to be successful in the NHL.

Edited by EdmHockeyGuy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, EdmHockeyGuy said:

I think hes played well made lots of nice plays throughout the young stars series and this game as well. This young stars series is always disjointed, disorganized, and lacks chemistry. It gives zero indication of anything. He will get to go to camp and play with guys that are closer to his skill level. There is a lot to like about his game. There are a lot of little things in his game that are good, that indicate he has potential to be successful in the NHL.

I concur on his play. He did take some penalties though. Overall, for an undersized NHLer I watched him win puck battles in the corners vs bigger players tonight. Kid has hyper mode. Got the skills but his fast stick can get him in trouble. If he can turn it down a notch we have a player here For Sure (imo)! He admitted post game that nerves played a part. I'm excited for this dude, he's got serious drive this youngster. :)

Edited by HappyHappy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×