RapierShot

GDT: OILERS VS TORONTO MAPLE LEAFS; SUN DEC 10 @ 5 PM; SN

21 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

:lol:....FIRE THE FRCKIN.                    WHO RUN THE PP!!!..TESTES DOES  NOT BELONG ON THE PP!!!....CAN' T FRICKIN FINISH!!...DOESNT EVEN KNOW WHERE TO GO!!!.

We had this game....the pp let us down...AGAIN!!!....5 on 3 we should SCORE!....Maybe fire the coach if he doesn't wanna fire his buddy!.

:angry:

We never once had this game.  We were down a goal a half a minute in and never even got back to even.

Well my streak at the ACC continues...chalk up another loss while in attendance.

Jesse Puljujärvi while kept of the score sheet looked good - maybe another full season and we might have a solid player and permanent winger for McDavid.

The goal was horrible - but the team should of put in plenty today.

The defence at times looked a little panicky. Gryba can sit for the next half season.  Davidson is a fine replacement.  Nurse looked solid. 

Leon Draisaitl looked slow, but his lumbering self came to play in the 3rd.

The PP... McDavid needs to shoot some more.  Turned down some shots that might have made a difference.  But, overall we need a new PP coach.

AND FOR PETE'S SAKE --- CAN WE WIN SOME FACEOFFS??????

2 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

We never once had this game.  We were down a goal a half a minute in and never even got back to even.

We had this game in the sense we outplayed them most of the game and outshot them nearly 2 to 1. Score wise.... you lose 100% of games you can't score a goal in.

45 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Lucic had two glorious tip in opportunities, missed.

JP is not Lainey! He was just down in the farm, not because he wasn't talented but he is was not confident or sure of himself in the NHL. He has come along ways in the last 3 weeks. Maybe, we don't want to screw with this confidence yet. He has a great shot, doesn't hit the net much, but a great shot that goes 'boom' when it hits the back glass. In another thread I said his puck control was not good enough, that has come along quite well (do we want to screw with that confidence where he must score), IMO, no.

Now back to the topic. The coaches are not to blame for guys missing great opportunities.

WTF does Looch have to do with it?  Or JP's puck control skating in the neutral zone?  That hasn't been an issue in some time and is irrelevant to this scenario

JP has been hitting the net a ton in the last 3 weeks.  His game has improved and he is using his body and his defense has been stellar.

INSERT a 5 on 3 where the USELESS and INEFFECTIVE PP comes in

An opportunity to utilize JP's shot while building his confidence was squandered.  The result was the highly anticipated and proven ineffective PP. Key words being ineffective and proven this year

What did I miss here?

Edited by johnnyterrible

1 minute ago, johnnyterrible said:

WTF does Looch have to do with it?  Or JP's puck control skating in the neutral zone?

JP has been hitting the net a ton in the last 3 weeks.  His game has improved and he is using his body and his defense has been stellar.

An opportunity to utilize JP's shot while building his confidence was squandered.  The result was the highly anticipated and proven ineffective PP. Key words being ineffective and proven this year

What did I miss here?

Missed Nothing - The PP was awful - it was not precision dangerous - it was scramble dangerous.

WTF does Looch have to do with it?  Or JP's puck control skating in the neutral zone?

What did I miss here?

missed?

you say coaches lost the game. I said no. Coaches were not holding Lucic's stick. He should have scored. 

I guess you figure JP would have won the game if he was on the PP.  ok

37 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Bingo

Bingo?  To what?  They forced the same thing over and over.  How can you say bingo to what has a proven failure rate?  Did you mean bingo you knew that theyt weren't gonna score on the same PP?  Everybody else did

3 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

Bingo?  To what?  They forced the same thing over and over.  How can you say bingo to what has a proven failure rate?  Did you mean bingo you knew that theyt weren't gonna score on the same PP?  Everybody else did

your a fiesty one tonight. 

I agreed to a statement. 

36 minutes ago, Yuke said:

your a fiesty one tonight. 

I agreed to a statement. 

I am.  No doubt

They played a good team game.  They had exceptional PP minutes

They chose to use an unproven and failing method for quite sometime.  Especially this year

That is not on the players.  That is on the coaches

You talk about missed nets?

Benning had 22dsecs to Klef's 5min and JP had none

Coaches need to make adjustments when 25 games in your strategy sucks! !

9 minutes ago, GiveBackTheGame said:

Missed Nothing - The PP was awful - it was not precision dangerous - it was scramble dangerous.

over 50 minutes 5 vs 5. we were outscored 1-0. But that doesn't count?

3 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

I am.  No doubt

They played a good team game.  They had exceptional PP minutes

They chose to use an unproven and failing method for quite sometime.  Especially this year

That is not on the players.  That is on the coaches

You talk about missed nets?

Benning had 22dsecs to Klef's 5min and JP had none

I am not saying our PP does not suck. We lost the 5 vs 5 battle 1-0. That probably is the reason we lost. Not the coaches 

41 minutes ago, Yuke said:

I am not saying our PP does not suck. We lost the 5 vs 5 battle 1-0. That probably is the reason we lost. Not the coaches 

Nope.  Many teams win games on special teams.  Wsh did for years.  Oil have lost many to a brutal PK also

A full 60 min of coaching garners the best result. Wsh didn't win the Presidents trophy on 5v5 playn alone

This year for the Oil specifically, being a few games out, the difference in fact is special teams

Edited by johnnyterrible

9 minutes ago, Yuke said:

over 50 minutes 5 vs 5. we were outscored 1-0. But that doesn't count?

I haven't read the whole entirety of the thread - but what was your opinion of the goal?

4 minutes ago, GiveBackTheGame said:

I haven't read the whole entirety of the thread - but what was your opinion of the goal?

Not a good goal

11 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

Nope.  Many teams win games on special teams.  Wsh did for years.  Oil have lost many to a brutal PK also

A full 60 min of coaching garners the best result. Wsh didn't win the Presidents trophy on 5v5 playn alone

This year for the Oil specifically, being a few games out, the difference in fact is special teams

So we had great opportunities to score on the PP.  The chances were there. Players missed these golden chances but the coaches caused the loss?

Whose fault would it be if Benning and JP were on the ice instead of Klef and Letestu and these golden chances were still missed?

• Like 1

A good team, a playoff team, has special teams that have a total sum, when you add up the PK% and PP %, at 100% or better.  Every percentage point you are over or under that magic number of 100% is meaningful.  The Oilers special teams added up equate to less than 90%.

The regular season in this league is won and lost on special teams.  5 v 5 is gravy.  You have to kill off key PKs, and you have to score on key PPs.  If consistently you don't do either ..... that's coaching.

The bad part of today's game is that the coaching gets to claim that their PK and PP systems were good.   It gives them a free pass on owning that their systems are brutal, changing them, and trying something else.  When, in truth, the PP did not really have one quality chance that wasn't seen by the keeper, and squared up by the defence.  It is predictable, slow, and the shots from the point are completely impotent, inaccurate, and easy to defend.  The break outs and zone entries are scattered and completely dependant on the skill of the players, void of any type of plan.  It is clear that the players are playing a system that is ineffective at opening lanes, moving defenders away from where they want to be, and keeping the goalie from easily tracking the puck.

The PK still looks terrible.  It is always sheer luck that they don't get scored on, while they chase around their own end aimlessly.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

An opportunity to utilize JP's shot while building his confidence was squandered.  The result was the highly anticipated and proven ineffective PP. 

You'e  absolutely rigjt!.. I cannot fathom the coaching on the pp.!...I'm sure PLRV would've finish the opportunity Testes had....."Rinse n Repeat ....Rinse n Repeat!"  ..the definition of insanity!...:angry:

47 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Whose fault would it be if Benning and JP were on the ice instead of Klef and Letestu and these golden chances were still missed?

5 on 3 they wouldn't of missed!....:lol:

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

48 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

I don't think TM and his boys realize this....Too oblivious to know....:th_shrug:

1 hour ago, Yuke said:

1 hour ago, Yuke said:

I guess you figure JP would have won the game if he was on the PP. 

BINGO!!..🙋 ...

1 hour ago, Yuke said:

So we had great opportunities to score on the PP.  The chances were there. Players missed these golden chances but the coaches caused the loss?

It's about odds.

Of course I can't say for certain that if Benning or JP were out there it would have been different,  But you're missing the point imo

They iced what has been a losing formula ALL year.  What part of that are you missing?

Benning finds the net most times, that is proven.  JP has the best looking shot on the PP,  He owns that in his minor league play

The coaches decided to do the same ol same ol, which you cannot even argue that ended up with the same result.  NO POINTS!!!!!

Are you really trying to defend a few posts as being the right decision this game...after 25?

Clearly Connor isn't getting PP points.  Maybe if the next we decide to use Caggulia there and they score, we shoulod keep Conny off the PP for another 50 games as long as the PP looks dangerous enough?

7 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

It's about odds.

Of course I can't say for certain that if Benning or JP were out there it would have been different,  But you're missing the point imo

They iced what has been a losing formula ALL year.  What part of that are you missing?

Benning finds the net most times, that is proven.  JP has the best looking shot on the PP,  He owns that in his minor league play

The coaches decided to do the same ol same ol, which you cannot even argue that ended up with the same result.  NO POINTS!!!!!

Are you really trying to defend a few posts as being the right decision this game...after 25?

Clearly Connor isn't getting PP points.  Maybe if the next we decide to use Caggulia there and they score, we shoulod keep Conny off the PP for another 50 games as long as the PP looks dangerous enough?

I am arguing your claim. 'Coaching is to blame for this loss.' 

No it was not. Guys had the opportunities and did not finish. Even on the PP.

Somehow you think I am defending our season long PP problems. I am not.

I am saying that this game powerplay did not score because the players did not finish. THIS GAME!!!!! Great opportunties were there tonight and guys like Lucic did not convert on 2 passes from CM that even C2Gs kid would have scored on. I cannot blame the coach for that. Just like you cannot blame the goalie coach for the LB missed stop.

1 hour ago, Yuke said:

I am arguing your claim. 'Coaching is to blame for this loss.' 

No it was not. Guys had the opportunities and did not finish. Even on the PP.

Somehow you think I am defending our season long PP problems. I am not.

I am saying that this game powerplay did not score because the players did not finish. THIS GAME!!!!! Great opportunties were there tonight and guys like Lucic did not convert on 2 passes from CM that even C2Gs kid would have scored on. I cannot blame the coach for that. Just like you cannot blame the goalie coach for the LB missed stop.

OK. i got ya.  We are almost on the same page

But being here in EDM please do not make another "somebody did not convert on a MCD pass, so they are to blkame" post..  This argument is getting tiresome being an Oiler fan and frustrates to no end

McD himself missed another breakaway.  He himself made 3 poor passes

It drives me nuts when people make every missed opportunity out to be somebody else's besides McD.  Connor cost several goals over his career not knowing when to shoot also

Yes, McD made some passes.  But the guys like Looch who are on pace for normal and good years...are not to blame b/c they didn't go above and beyond the norm. The Looch missed pass I counter with a normal McD missed breakaway

Bottom line is the PP is not failing cuz everybody else is missing McD's passes.  There needs to be a change.  JP and Benning would have been good options, especially in a crucial 5 on 3 with way more to gain than a tying goal

Edited by johnnyterrible

OK. i got ya.  We are almost on the same page

But being here in EDM please do not make another "somebody did not convert on a MCD pass, so they are to blkame" post..  This argument is getting tiresome being an Oiler fan and frustrates to no end

McD himself missed another breakaway.  He himself made 3 poor passes

It drives me nuts when people make every missed opportunity out to be somebody else's besides McD.  Connor cost several goals over his career not knowing when to shoot also

Yes, McD made some passes.  But the guys like Looch who are on pace for normal and good years...are not to blame b/c they didn't go above and beyond the norm. The Looch missed pass I counter with a normal McD missed breakaway

We are on the same page, trust that. I to find CM as part of an issue (LD, Klef etc). It was an example, not a complaint that CM was doing everything right.

3 hours ago, johnnyterrible said:

6min of PP time and Letestu was on the ice for all of it

No Benning and JP

Have you seen JP's shot?  Yes, he deserves PP time, especially on a 5 on 3

WPG didn't sit Laine on PP's cuz they felt Brian Little was a better vet lmao:th_facepalm2:

Sergachev and McCavoy are being groomed into those positions by being forced into them.  why?  Cuz they have something to offer

Pulj has a grand total of 5 NHL goals in 2 seasons. He is getting better. He is now given a chance on the top line the past few games. He is getting plenty of opportunity. Once he scores 20 or 30 goals a season like laine then come back. 

1st line and some production thus far but could be better. He is not lighting it up. Drai has 8 goals and finally got his 1st pp point last night against the habs. He's suppose to be a star and he makes 8.5 million.  Get on his case if anyone.  No where near good enough. 

Mcd played a great game,  only one problem,  no finish. Going around 100 miles an hour is meaningless. 2 breakaways and nothing. 

Complaint about letestu if you want but the issues go way beyond him.  Drai is our highest paid player and only 1 pp point all year? Letestu has way more lol. Plus 1.5 million vs 8.5 million. Drai is one of the players not getting it done given all his play time on the pp. Unacceptable. 

Edited by WindsorOiler