The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
HappyHappy

Kirill Maksimov signs

For all of the (valid) angst, one thing you can say at this point is the drafting under Chiarelli is showing a pulse; Yamo, Bear and this kids stock has went up since being drafted. Probably more than anything, terrible drafting has done this organization in the last 10+ years so if we can get decent at that that will go a long ways to improving the future. 

This simple graphic is very telling.  We could have a real diamond here.

6b26e169e88a84551e3f4321a51e1183.png

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

56 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I really think this kid can turn into something. Fingers crossed.

I've been watching the kid close. I believe he'll be on the big club.

18 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

Looks good. Wonder when his skating will be equal to an everyday player. Hopefully in short order. This is exciting.

His skating has improved a lot since being drafted in 2017.

36 minutes ago, Telly-Belly said:

Looks good. Wonder when his skating will be equal to an everyday player. Hopefully in short order. This is exciting.

It depends how hard he works at getting stronger and faster with his skating coaches. From all reports he is very focused and driven to get better and he is known for his hard work. Will power and determination can drive a player a long way and I think we finally got a lucky and found diamond in the rough. Very exciting indeed and it's about time it's our turn to find a gem. 

15 minutes ago, mrtea said:

It depends how hard he works at getting stronger and faster with his skating coaches. From all reports he is very focused and driven to get better and he is known for his hard work. Will power and determination can drive a player a long way and I think we finally got a lucky and found diamond in the rough. Very exciting indeed and it's about time it's our turn to find a gem. 

We now have 4 pretty damn good prospects drafted in the later rounds, if you count Maksimov. Jones (2015 4th Round), Bear (2015 5th Round), Samorukov (2017 3rd Round), and Maksimov (2017 5th Round). Three 2nd rounders that may turn out as well. Benson, McLeod, and Lavoie.

:th_banana:

Edited by BL4NKF4CE

On 8/13/2019 at 5:48 PM, HappyHappy said:

Nice little write-up here on Kirill, as well as highlights from this last season:

https://edmontonjournal.com/sports/hockey/nhl/cult-of-hockey/edmonton-oilers-prospect-kirill-maksimov-by-sean-patrick-ryan

Wow. That is a glowing review. 

Very interesting. I don't usually see a player with skating as his weakness, described as a elite PKer. Interested to see how it translates at the next level.

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

8 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Wow. That is a glowing review. 

Very interesting. I don't usually see a player with skating as his weakness, described as a elite PKer. Interested to see how it translates at the next level.

Yup, lots to like according to this article. All kinds of good things. Definitely a place in our NHL line-up for him down the road if he shows well in the AHL, which I suspect he will. He's been very consistent the last couple yrs for the IceDogs in the OHL and should be a fine addition to Bakersfield. Give him a full year on the farm (like Yam) to get used to playing against PROs and go from there. 

image.png