The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
HappyHappy

Fish On!!!

Does anyone know any good spots for ice fishing in BC? I have a friend that's been talking about heading out this winter but I have no idea where to suggest. 

2 hours ago, LHII said:

Does anyone know any good spots for ice fishing in BC? I have a friend that's been talking about heading out this winter but I have no idea where to suggest. 

I only fish some streams and Kootenay lake which does not freeze in the winter. I will ask a few of my buddies and get back to you. 

What do you do on the first day of Cannabis Legalization in Canada?

You go fishing of course, ?

We fished McGregor Lake for 5 hours and caught 6 Northern Pike, all around the same size as the one in this video clip.

Oh ya, we both caught a large buzz as well, ?

Edited by 420since1974

1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

What do you do on the first day of Cannabis Legalization in Canada?

You go fishing of course, ?

We fished McGregor Lake for 5 hours and caught 6 Northern Pike, all around the same size as the one in this video clip.

Oh ya, we both caught a large buzz as well, ?

LOL man! Let the good times roll. Looks like fun. I went the other day in the Oldman river just down the coulee from my house and caught a couple walleye and brownies. I don't know why I don't do it more often. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

Haha jealous fellas! FUN! I haven't been out in awhile, doh.

Hey 420, how is the Bow fishing right now? I may be headed up to Calgary in the next week or so and if time permits I'll be hitting it up for sure, so trout beware!

Man Sharpie if I had the Oldman in my backyard I'd be fishing it religiously! Good to hear you got out, can never go fishing too much.:) 

Happy 420 Forever Canada! It's About Time!!

??

Oops I quoted myself when editing haha. Need more coffee! 

Edited by HappyHappy
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

Oops I quoted myself when editing haha. Need more coffee! 

Lol. I’m grabbing one right now!  I didn’t sleep good. Was so excited over our win just like a kid on Christmas morning. I’m heading out fishing this am on the  old man again. Been enjoying it lately. 

Happy:

Right now, the Bow River is too low for even jet boats.

There are a lot of fly fishermen wading along the banks, not sure how well they're doing.

6 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Happy:

Right now, the Bow River is too low for even jet boats.

There are a lot of fly fishermen wading along the banks, not sure how well they're doing.

Good to know thanx.

12 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Happy:

Check out this site for semi-current fishing reports:

https://fishtalesflyshop.com/blogs/river-reports/river-report-october-8-2018

Hey thanx 420, I have several sites I go to for reports but this was not one of them, it is now!

Friendly staff at Fish Tales there in Calgary, that's where I bought my last net a few yrs ago which I accidently left on the rocks of the Oldman last year grr, lol.

I hope you do well Happy.

Remember, good fishermen make their own luck.

Slightly off-topic, we got out deer hunting on opening day (Nov. 7) and harvested two Antlerless Mule Deer.

Our garlic sausage and smokies were ready two days ago, yum, yum.

5 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I hope you do well Happy.

Remember, good fishermen make their own luck.

Slightly off-topic, we got out deer hunting on opening day (Nov. 7) and harvested two Antlerless Mule Deer.

Our garlic sausage and smokies were ready two days ago, yum, yum.

Thx 420, I'll be going with my sis and her buddy and they know some hot spots so should have some action.:)

Nice work on the deer, yummy indeed. I swear down here in the Hat I'm seeing like half a dozen or more on a daily basis lately roaming around in town, they're everywhere. I like seeing them around, eating everyone's shrubberies and such haha.

Happy:

Do you enjoy eating venison?

If so, I have steaks, garlic sausage, and smokies.

Maybe you could drop by for a quick visit while you are in Calgary.

That is if I'm not hunting on Saturday, which I won't know until Friday afternoon.

Let me know.

22 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Happy:

Do you enjoy eating venison?

If so, I have steaks, garlic sausage, and smokies.

Maybe you could drop by for a quick visit while you are in Calgary.

That is if I'm not hunting on Saturday, which I won't know until Friday afternoon.

Let me know.

Yep I sure do, I could maybe purchase some meaty treats off ya.:) Possibly swing by for a visit after fishing Saturday depending on when we are done and if you are hunting of course. Keep me posted if you'll be around, don't spose you live in the South?;)

• Like 1

Happy:

Yes, I live in the southwest quadrant of Calgary in the district of Southwood.

Approximately where on the Bow River are you planning to fish?

What time are you fishing to? Sunset will be at 4:38 PM.

If I'm not hunting, I'll be home all day and night.

If I do go hunting, I won't be back in home until sometime between 6:00 & 7:00 PM.

Is there a better way to contact you besides this thread?

I tried to message you, but your account appears to block them.

4 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Happy:

Yes, I live in the southwest quadrant of Calgary in the district of Southwood.

Approximately where on the Bow River are you planning to fish?

What time are you fishing to? Sunset will be at 4:38 PM.

If I'm not hunting, I'll be home all day and night.

If I do go hunting, I won't be back in home until sometime between 6:00 & 7:00 PM.

Is there a better way to contact you besides this thread?

I tried to message you, but your account appears to block them.

Bonus. I'm staying in Sundance area.

Not sure where yet, sis is the guide for this trip.

Likely fish all morn and all day till sunset. Heading home Sun morn.

Hmm, my account shouldn't block you, it doesn't block others? Maybe it just automatically blocks Flames fans hahaha, kidding.:P I'll get hold of sis later when she off work and will have a better idea as to her plan. I'll message ya my cell #.

• Thanks 1

Anybody been out lately? I've punched about 20 holes in the ice so far this season and have a piddily 2 fish to speak of. One was a tiny Jack, the other a tiny Bow. Many missed bites, I gotta stop pinching my barbs. :rolleyes: Anyway, Super Weak Sauce. Pathetic, I know.

Not sure what the trout's problem is, I might have to invest in a flasher. Something to be said for finding fish without technology however, but I can only stare at a hole so long without action...:P 

New moon should be happening soon, I'm hoping to get out again this coming weekend, I'm certain the trout will be more active. 

Sometimes if I close my eyes and listen carefully I can hear my flyrods crying... "Why God Why".

#CanadianWinterEmbraceIt

• Like 1

When we were guiding in the early 1990s, we also made all of our own jigs and spinners using only barbless hooks.

We discovered that instead of poking just one hole in a fish's mouth with the barbed hooks, the barbless ones were causing multiple injuries.

In the end, we felt that barbless hooks were doing more damage to the fish, and we were landing fewer of them, as single moment of slack line was often enough for the fish to escape.

So as soon as the provincial regulations changed, we immediately switched back to barbed.

As well, we found that it is very important to sharpen your hooks regularly.

We used to ice-fish long and hard in all weather conditions, but these days we only go out on warm days with little wind.

We like to find ice that's at least 18" thick so that we can drive our truck right up to the holes.

And if there isn't a 8" to 10" gas powered auger available, we just won't go out anymore.

We are way past the point in age where we're willing and able to drill a hundred or more 8" diameter holes per season with a hand auger.

Crawling Valley Reservoir, McGregor Lake, Traver's Reservoir, Kehoe Lake, Badger Lake, and Lake Newell all usually produce quite well for Northern Pike as well as the occasional Walleye.

Rigging large smelts with two treble hooks just lying on the bottom produced more and larger fish than jigging with minnows, leeches, and worms.

Good stuff 420.

Very interesting take on the barbs topic. I find it depends much on type of fishing and also species being caught. There is certainly much debate out there on the subject, I'm glad they changed the laws to allow for fisherfolk to make their own decisions on this. One thing for sure is I lose many more fish on pinched barb hooks vs barbed hooks. If I was into keeping fish for the fry pan I likely wouldn't pinch, but I'm not a big fish eater. Fly-fishing, usually hooks are so tiny I don't bother pinching barbs bc I can barely see them lol and it's hard enough to keep a feisty trout on, as you know, and trout generally take it just on the lip anyway. Different story still-fishing, especially with bait. Just one example.

Never been huge into pike fishing, but I agree with your technique for ice-fishing for them. Still smelt on or near bottom seems to work well. On my last particular outing I mentioned we actually spent the day fishing for trout in the Hills then briefly stopped off at a pike/perch lake on the way home as I got a tip on a perch location out there and I've never fished the lake through the ice. Wanted to give it a shot and happened to catch a small hammer-handle on the first descent, then nothing for the next hour. Was going for perch using both worms and minnows but clearly we were not on them, suffice to say.

Ah the joy of manual hand augers. Not so fun in really thick ice but do the trick. Used to use one but then started relying on buddies gas augers, finally purchased a used gas one of my own off a friend of a friend this year. Next comes the tent and heater etc. You know how it goes lol. Amazing what I guy will do to go stare at a couple holes in the freezing cold haha.

Tight lines...

Edited by HappyHappy
  • Like 1

I always found that maggots on 1/16 oz. jigs worked best for perch through the ice.

Unfortunately, the only good perch lake I've found anywhere close to Calgary is Pine Lake which is at least 1.5 hours away.

8 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I always found that maggots on 1/16 oz. jigs worked best for perch through the ice.

Unfortunately, the only good perch lake I've found anywhere close to Calgary is Pine Lake which is at least 1.5 hours away.

Maybe I'll give maggots a shot next time I go back... first I gotta find the perch! I agree a small jig is all ya need, even a bare hook works but then gotta add a little weight to get it down. 

Good perch lakes are definitely hard to find it seems. There are several lakes around me that hold plenty perch but I don't ever hear of anything of decent size coming out of them. Doesn't necessarily mean the biguns aren't in there though and still fun to fish... :)

On 1/2/2019 at 6:32 AM, HappyHappy said:

Maybe I'll give maggots a shot next time I go back... first I gotta find the perch! I agree a small jig is all ya need, even a bare hook works but then gotta add a little weight to get it down. 

Good perch lakes are definitely hard to find it seems. There are several lakes around me that hold plenty perch but I don't ever hear of anything of decent size coming out of them. Doesn't necessarily mean the biguns aren't in there though and still fun to fish... :)

About 5-6 years ago I went to shurburne lake ice fishing with a buddy. We got there a little late in the day but had checked out some of the other peeps catch. There were quite a few people with some really nice sized perch. If I’m not mistaken I think the lake is close to grassy lake. It’s fairly close to Med. Hat by one of those towns. 

Question: I was in elkwater on some business last week and noticed quite a few people ice fishing. Is the fishing any good in that lake? I would assume it’s mostly pike(slew sharks). 

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Sharptooth1 said:

About 5-6 years ago I went to shurburne lake ice fishing with a buddy. We got there a little late in the day but had checked out some of the other peeps catch. There were quite a few people with some really nice sized perch. If I’m not mistaken I think the lake is close to grassy lake. It’s fairly close to Med. Hat by one of those towns. 

Question: I was in elkwater on some business last week and noticed quite a few people ice fishing. Is the fishing any good in that lake? I would assume it’s mostly pike(slew sharks). 

Hey Sharpie, yes I've heard Sherburne can be good for perch... not sure about size these days. I've only fished it once or twice several yrs back in the summer and I think we mostly caught pike (with the odd perch) from our kayaks but that's primarily what we were targeting as we trolled along exploring the lake. Yeah I think it's about half hr or so from Grassy Lake or one of them small towns. Easy to find on a map.

Answer: Yep mostly slew sharks, I've personally never caught nor seen nor heard of any decent sized pike caught outta there. I think the perch can be good if you can find them, guy I bought my auger off of showed me a chunky 13.5" perch he caught about a month ago anyway... and I can't see why guys would icefish for small pike there with much better lakes around that hold big Jacks. Beautiful area out there in the hills of cypress. Tight lines...