The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
mrtea

Coaching or Management, which was worse?

Just now, thekiltedzombie said:

Ya and put Petrovic and Manning on waivers, I'm sure both would clear easy, clear evidence of another poor decision by this group.

Wow would that suck for Chia if that happens. 

1 minute ago, Oil_Dude said:

Wow would that suck for Chia if that happens. 

I think it would stink for fans too. But I could still find the funny in it though. Basically thousands of people with no GM experience, but have a firm grasp on the game and players, would not have made that trade. 

Just now, VirginiaOiler said:

I think it would stink for fans too. But I could still find the funny in it though. Basically thousands of people with no GM experience, but have a firm grasp on the game and players, would not have made that trade. 

I was fine with the Petrovic trade(although I think a 4th rounder plus Wideman would have been good enough) mainly because I think there is ok upside there despite his regression this year. The Manning deal was a joke. That was brutal.

16 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

I was fine with the Petrovic trade(although I think a 4th rounder plus Wideman would have been good enough) mainly because I think there is ok upside there despite his regression this year. The Manning deal was a joke. That was brutal.

MV5BOTlhMjBhYzMtNWE1Zi00NTQ0LThmODEtZjNlthis is how The Blackhawks’ front office looked after the Manning trade. 

Also, the thing I didn’t understand about the Petrovic trade was that Wideman was making $1M and Petrovic was much further north of that, both on the last year of their deals...and we added a sweetener?!?

Edited by VirginiaOiler

11 minutes ago, VirginiaOiler said:

How does the knowledgeable rank n file common man get his toes into the Oiler door and apply for the GM position?.....I'm thinking about dropping off my resume documents...:ph34r:

2 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

How does the knowledgeable rank n file common man get his toes into the Oiler door and apply for the GM position?.....I'm thinking about dropping off my resume documents...:ph34r:

Yeah no kidding. Do the Oilers even have an Analytics department? If not, I may be sending my resume via the emails. 

And an application for a work visa :th_banana:

2 minutes ago, VirginiaOiler said:

Yeah no kidding. Do the Oilers even have an Analytics department? If not, I may be sending my resume via the emails. 

And an application for a work visa :th_banana:

Better do it quick, you never know if the prez wants to keep us out with a wall too lol ;)

Edited by bronco73

23 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Better do it quick, you never know if the prez wants to keep us out with a wall too lol ;)

Haha. Yeah, that guy. Considering I live in Va and work DC, I hear a lot of things. I don’t want to offend on this board or start down a political path. Just a sad situation all around. 

Kinda like our Oilers chain of command, eh? 

I might have missed it but I’ve been checking the Toronto Sports Network all day... is PC fired yet?!?!?! Is our saviour Craig MacTavish going to step in and take charge and lead us to glory!?!?!?

Edited by Bro-lo_el_cunado

1 hour ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

I might have missed it but I’ve been checking the Toronto Sports Network all day... is PC fired yet?!?!?! Is our saviour Craig MacTavish going to step in and take charge and lead us to glory!?!?!?

PC has taken a bad team with assets and ruined it, now we have a worse team with no assets. Any new GM is going to have a nightmare on his hands because fans are not patient, they want results NOW! I don't care if it's MacT or Stevey Y, they are going to need time to fix this mess. The poor coach that gets saddled with this team will need a stint in rehab after about 2 seasons. We're trying to race against sport cars and all they gave us was a smart car that needs some parts.

Yeah what the hell is the hold up here?

Think there’s ever been any side deals where a draft pick was traded for wine?  If not, this could be the year.

1 hour ago, TeamEllis said:

I really hoped PC would be gone today. Nope not even a rumble. 

I'm hoping for a lot more than PC just to be fired. Right now i'm clutching to that - the longer he stays, the more people will get canned. I'm not sure how involved BN is with the hockey operations. He may not be that involved and may be the guy in charge to hire the GM as I can't see Katz being able to hire someone. I don't know - it's such a mess. As already stated too many times, regardless of who we hire, we need to totally rebuild as our idiot GM has pretty much squandered away all our assets with nothing to show for it but players who other teams can't even bother having on their farms teams. Disgusting. 

Edited by OilyJetFan

3 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

I'm hoping for a lot more than PC just to be fired. Right now i'm clutching to that - the longer he stays, the more people will get canned. I'm not sure how involved BN is with the hockey operations. He may not be that involved and may be the guy in charge to hire the GM as I can't see Katz being able to hire someone. I don't know - it's such a mess. As already stated too many times, regardless of who we hire, we need to totally rebuild as our idiot GM has pretty much squandered away all our assets with nothing to show for it but players who other teams can't even bother having on their farms teams. Disgusting. 

I highly doubt he gets fired during the season. He’s still making trades and I recall hearing BN say something about playoffs being a determining factor. I think we’re stuck till game 82

4 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

I highly doubt he gets fired during the season. He’s still making trades and I recall hearing BN say something about playoffs being a determining factor. I think we’re stuck till game 82

Yep I heard that too (waiting till the end of the year). PC better not trade our 1st round pick though :( 

8 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Yep I heard that too (waiting till the end of the year). PC better not trade our 1st round pick though :( 

Apparently he's been told that he is not allowed to even touch our first round pick.

26 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Apparently he's been told that he is not allowed to even touch our first round pick.

Well that shows he is not trusted and he should be gone.

9 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Whoa - I hope that's true. Loved what Nielson said yesterday on his show about it - if someone really wants to trade our 1st rounder for a top 6 forward - name the forward! And remember, he has to be a good one with at least a couple of years left on his contract, he has to fit in our salary cap, and he has to deemed expendable by the team trading him. In his challenge to his listeners yesterday, no one could come up with a name. And if you package a bad contract to go with that 1st rounder (to make it fit in the cap) then you are watering down your offer thus the return is a lot worse.

So yeah - we can't trade it - not a chance. It will be high - we're getting Kakko!!! (No interest in Hughes)

What we need is a 3 or 4 game win streak, then for the mods to quickly delete this thread and we can all pretend we knew all along that there was no need to panic.

MacTavish's message about "loyalty" is likely a signal that management changes are not on the table.  And if a new GM was hired, what does he have to work with?  Well, there's about $50k of cap space....no real assets to acquire needed pieces....the anchor contracts are drenched with no-trade clauses...and no desperation or commitment in management to change anything.

Yeah, that's the job I want!

41 minutes ago, RapierShot said:

MacTavish's message about "loyalty" is likely a signal that management changes are not on the table.  And if a new GM was hired, what does he have to work with?  Well, there's about $50k of cap space....no real assets to acquire needed pieces....the anchor contracts are drenched with no-trade clauses...and no desperation or commitment in management to change anything.

Yeah, that's the job I want!

Chia does not have a no trade clause in his contract! But apparently he may have swung a No Fire clause!

Edited by El Cid

Yikes!! This is getting scary 

A couple of days ago a professional athletic trainer goes on record saying the Oilers are way over working McD and Drai, and it will have future ramifications on them

Oilers skills comp today.  Will be announced McD not paticipating.  Not sure how they will spin it...but it's due to physical and mental exhaustion

Just now, johnnyterrible said:

Yikes!! This is getting scary 

A couple of days ago a professional athletic trainer goes on record saying the Oilers are way over working McD and Drai, and it will have future ramifications on them

Oilers skills comp today.  Will be announced McD not paticipating.  Not sure how they will spin it...but it's due to physical and mental exhaustion

Honestly he should also pull an Ovechkin on the allstars.

What horrible management.  This organization is so bad.  Enjoy the last few years of the McOilers he will pull a Tavares sooo fast.

Who would blame him?

15K people going to the event.  How many are going cuz they can only afford the $20 to see him live?

This poor fanbase getting the shaft yet again

4 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

15K people going to the event.  How many are going cuz they can only afford the $20 to see him live?

This poor fanbase getting the shaft yet again

I’m not going JT, there’s only 3 guys with any skill anyway 

NHL Skills Competition, and 1 of 3 guys with NHL level skills on this team isn’t going to be there? Huh...

Are tier 2 fans even allowed to attend?  Might be their excuse afterwards as to why the attendance was so low?

16 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I’m not going JT, there’s only 3 guys with any skill anyway 

Thankfully Hitch keeps reiterating that lately w/ their usage and in interviews. 

I love it.  Saves McD the hassle of pulling an Eichel. 

Also sticks it to all the people who scapegoated TM.  Hitch blends lines way more than TM, resorts to Drai on wing, and is running the star players ragged.   But ya, TM was all to blame