Jump to content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Dikbag

UFA Proposals

Recommended Posts

Goaltending:

- Carter Hutton (STL) - This guy would be a solid back up for the next 5 years as he is only 32 years old. Last season he posted a 17/7 recorded with a 2.09GAA and a SV%.931. this guy is pretty legit and would solidify our netminder issues. His cap hit last season was 1.125m, I would offer him a 3yr 5m deal paying 1.6m per season.

Forwards:

- Patrick Maroon (NJD) - I would love to see the big rig back in an oilers jersey. This guy was a force for us last season, and even though he didnt live up to expectations this season he still ended up with 40pts. His cap hit last season was 2m. I would definitely through a 3yr 6m deal paying 2m per season to have him back in an oilers uniform!

- Alex Chiasson (WSH) - A young, big right winger that can play on the 2nd or 3rd line. Just shy of 20pts last season, and gaining playoff experience as we speak. He currently sits at a 660g, I would throw a 3yr 3.3m contract his way paying him 1.1m per season.

- Riley Nash (BOS) - This guy has it all as we are currently seeing this post season. In the regular season he had 41pts and was +16. He is a center-man but can also play RW. This would be a great guy to throw on a 2nd line with Drai, and Loooch, and potentially up on the 1st with McDavid and RNH. His cap it is currently at 900g, but i think he would need a great offer as many teams will be bidding on him this summer. I would toss a 5yr 16m deal his way paying him 3.2m per season, and hope he wants to come to Edmonton!

Defence:

- John Carlson (WSH) - Who wouldnt want to have this guy on their team?! he's a right handed puck moving D-man. Last season he had 52 Assists and 15 Goals and was a -3 in 81 Games Played. John is still only 28yrs old and has a lot of hockey left in him. I think he would be a perfect line mate with Nurse or Russell to his left. This guy wont come cheap he currently is making 4m, and i would think it would likely take a 3-5yr 6m per season to bring him on board.

- Kevin Connauton (ARI) - Born in Edmonton, hes a 6'2" 205lb Left handed shooter who posted 21pts and was a +3 in 73 games played with Arizona. His current cap his is 1m and i think a fair offer to him would be a 2yr 2.2m paying 1.1m per season.

 

I am no professional but id like to think i know a little bit about hockey. Having these guys on our roster i believe will bring us back to the winning ways next year!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The problem with signing UFA's . Is that they usually are an over pay . Unfortunately the Oilers can't afford any more over pays on the roster ,  they already have too many that sadly they acquired through free agency .  They need to find bargains . They won't be making a big splash through free agency . These are the names the oilers should be looking at , Derek Ryan , Riley Nash , Kyle Brodziak , Greg Pateryn , Cody Franson , Christian Folin , Chris Wideman , Reto Berra and maybe Carter Hutton . But it looks like they want that big Finn from the KHL for Talbots back up .  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The marketplace will dictate what these guys get, and the marketplace will pay more for every one of these players. 

Is there a plan to clear cap space from the existing roster? 


fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Dikbag said:

Goaltending:

- Carter Hutton (STL) - This guy would be a solid back up for the next 5 years as he is only 32 years old. Last season he posted a 17/7 recorded with a 2.09GAA and a SV%.931. this guy is pretty legit and would solidify our netminder issues. His cap hit last season was 1.125m, I would offer him a 3yr 5m deal paying 1.6m per season.

Forwards:

- Patrick Maroon (NJD) - I would love to see the big rig back in an oilers jersey. This guy was a force for us last season, and even though he didnt live up to expectations this season he still ended up with 40pts. His cap hit last season was 2m. I would definitely through a 3yr 6m deal paying 2m per season to have him back in an oilers uniform!

- Alex Chiasson (WSH) - A young, big right winger that can play on the 2nd or 3rd line. Just shy of 20pts last season, and gaining playoff experience as we speak. He currently sits at a 660g, I would throw a 3yr 3.3m contract his way paying him 1.1m per season.

- Riley Nash (BOS) - This guy has it all as we are currently seeing this post season. In the regular season he had 41pts and was +16. He is a center-man but can also play RW. This would be a great guy to throw on a 2nd line with Drai, and Loooch, and potentially up on the 1st with McDavid and RNH. His cap it is currently at 900g, but i think he would need a great offer as many teams will be bidding on him this summer. I would toss a 5yr 16m deal his way paying him 3.2m per season, and hope he wants to come to Edmonton!

Defence:

- John Carlson (WSH) - Who wouldnt want to have this guy on their team?! he's a right handed puck moving D-man. Last season he had 52 Assists and 15 Goals and was a -3 in 81 Games Played. John is still only 28yrs old and has a lot of hockey left in him. I think he would be a perfect line mate with Nurse or Russell to his left. This guy wont come cheap he currently is making 4m, and i would think it would likely take a 3-5yr 6m per season to bring him on board.

- Kevin Connauton (ARI) - Born in Edmonton, hes a 6'2" 205lb Left handed shooter who posted 21pts and was a +3 in 73 games played with Arizona. His current cap his is 1m and i think a fair offer to him would be a 2yr 2.2m paying 1.1m per season.

 

I am no professional but id like to think i know a little bit about hockey. Having these guys on our roster i believe will bring us back to the winning ways next year!

 

Well, there's some good guys on here but I'm afraid your last line is the most accurate (no offense meant) so here's the rundown for you:

Carter Hutton - too expensive - unless you trade Talbot. We don't have the room in our cap for a 3 mil or so backup goalie as that's what he'll be looking for. He'll laugh at 1.6. Did you not hear we're going to offer a guy who's played 4 NHL games 2.1 Mil a year so no way no how does Hutton sign here (or anywhere) for 1.6 Mil (if you're his agent he'd fire you - no offense lol).

Patrick Maroon -  I'd like him but we got Lucic (and we're stuck with him). Game is getting faster, not slower. Only room for one on the LW IMO and so no.

Alex Chiasson - Ummmm don't know much about him but hey if we could get him for 1.1 and he's a RW why not. You think we'd be the only team to offer him that thought? 

Riley Nash - I don't think you know this guy. He was drafted by your fav team (Oilers) and Kevin Lowe back in '07 or '08 AFTER Nash told Lowe NOT to draft him as he wouldn't sign here. We ended up trading him in '10 to Carolina for a 2nd round pick (Martin Marincin). Not sure why he wouldn't sign here mind you but somehow I don't think the Oilers are in a position to 'make him an offer he can't refuse' so sorry, no dice here (he would be a nice addition though)

John Carlson -  Yep but how much can we afford to pay him? We need to dump salary to sign this guy, a lot of it. I'm talking Draisaitl here as everyone else we could drop to free up enough cash has a NTC or NMC so we're screwed on that. 

Kevin Connauton - LD dman we don't need, especially a bottom pairing one. We have Sekera, Klefbom, Nurse, Russel already. If we did trade Klef we'd still be ok, we need a right hand guy. Though if we could lose Russell.... but he's a NTC so he won't waive I don't think

So anyway, don't get me wrong, good thoughts on some of these guys. However, we're really up against the cap and the lower guys won't help and we can't afford the higher guys unless we move money out. Maroon might be our best option but he'll want at least 3M a year and that's too much (though he's better than Lucic at 6M I'd really like to dump Lucic and sign Maroon TBH - if PC can do that he's the front runner for GM of the year).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Under the radar guy I think we should look at is Brandon Pirri. He’s too good for the AHL and did produce for the short time he was in the lineup. I think buried in vegas’ depth.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/10/2018 at 4:57 PM, MessierII said:

Under the radar guy I think we should look at is Brandon Pirri. He’s too good for the AHL and did produce for the short time he was in the lineup. I think buried in vegas’ depth.

I like Pirri too, and I think he'll be cheap. Looks like Anthony Duclair is going to be available, but he's going to cost more. I like his speed and think he brings what PC is trying to get


fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

I have not heard his name this offseason, but what about James van Riemsdyk?

He scores often.

Not enough in our bank imho.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, SuperDave17 said:

Not enough in our bank imho.

I thought we were trading all these money sucking deadbeats and starting over....no?;)


fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Duclaire and Reider are both good options that shouldn’t cost a ton. Brandon Davidson will be back out there. Supposedly they want a 4C so I could see them going after a vet like Brodziak, Beagle or Vermette. Maybe even circle back to Letestu. Also guys like Derek Ryan although he might want a payday. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

if Ottawa retains half, Bobby Ryan?

I think 25% is maximum salary retention ..... I think, but I can't prove it.


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

I think 25% is maximum salary retention ..... I think, but I can't prove it.

Including cash in trades is still prohibited, but teams may retain part of a traded player's salary to ease the cap burden on the acquiring team. Provisions on suchretention are as follows: The acquiring team must assume at least 50 percent of the remaining salary and cap charge of the SPC.

It's wiki so I'm not 100% on it


fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From Cap Friendly:

What is a retained salary transaction/trade

When a team trades a player, they have the option to retain a part of their salary (and cap hit). The team who retains the salary then pays the retained percentage of the salary, and also retains the percentage of the cap hit until the contract expires. The following requirements must be met to retain salary:
  1. The percentage retained cannot exceed 50 percent of the player’s salary (including all bonuses) and Salary Cap Hit.
  2. The same percentage must be retained for both the player’s salary and Salary Cap Hit, and cannot be modified.
  3. All teams are limited to a maximum of 3 retained salary contracts per season.
  4. Teams cannot retain an aggregate amount of more than 15 percent of the Salary Cap Upper Limit.
  5. Players’ contracts are limited to 2 retained salary transactions per contract.
Once a retained salary transcation has occured, there are various limitations, such as:
  • A team cannot reacquire a player whom they have retained salary from for a minimum of one year after the date of the transaction, or unless the player's contract expires or is terminated prior to the one-year date.
  • All teams involved in a retained salary transaction will have cap implications if the contract is bought out or terminated.
  • Teams who retain salary on a players contract, will have the full value of the cap hit act against the teams salary cap total, regardless of whether the player is reassigned to the minors by their current team.
Edited by 420since1974

I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

 

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard just now that the OIlers should be targeting Riley Nash and Tobias Rieder - two guys we drafted, and two guys who said they didnt' want to play here (mind you that's when we were being run by KLowe and Tambo and frankly I don't blame them for not wanting to play here). 

But we don't have a lot of cap space. We got to get someone on a bargain. Duclair is interesting - he's like a Yakupov though - he's not come close to meeting expectations after his rookie year, and if anything has been regressing. May have an attitude issue like Yak did/does(?). Pickings are slim but we really need a couple of wingers. I'm hoping that maybe we can sign Maroon on the cheap. Slow but we know what he brings. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To add to Oily, Pirri and Vanek.

Need one insurance winger with a chance to produce. Would McD get some mojo going witha guy like Pirri, Vanek, Duclair. If he can get Rattie going somewhat one of these guys might be able to perform that much better. Calgary let Poirier and Shore go as well. Poirier is a high pick with similar problems to Kass. He is clean now. High pick with potential if he gets on track. More bargain basement players...

1806262045390115.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently, Yakupov did not receive a qualifying offer and will become a free agent. Not saying the Oilers should sign him... He's probably on his way to play in Russia as he always wanted. No he has a reason to actually go there.  

I'm surprised that Devante Smith-Pelly did not get qualified by the Caps. Also, Pens are letting Tom Kuhnhackel become a UFA. They seem to be under a bit of a cap crunch. Both affordable role player options. 

 

Edited by Greyone

"When the tough get goin', go an' get tough."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

I heard just now that the OIlers should be targeting Riley Nash and Tobias Rieder - two guys we drafted, and two guys who said they didnt' want to play here (mind you that's when we were being run by KLowe and Tambo and frankly I don't blame them for not wanting to play here). 

But we don't have a lot of cap space. We got to get someone on a bargain. Duclair is interesting - he's like a Yakupov though - he's not come close to meeting expectations after his rookie year, and if anything has been regressing. May have an attitude issue like Yak did/does(?). Pickings are slim but we really need a couple of wingers. I'm hoping that maybe we can sign Maroon on the cheap. Slow but we know what he brings. 

Yeah those two would be ideal . But the only way either of them would sign in Edmonton is if they were overpaid and the oil can't afford to do that . They might be able to sign one , but not both .

I think the way they should go is to sign a 4c through free agency at a bargain bin price the names that come to mind are Daniel Carr ( who apparently can play 4c ) Kyle Brodziak  or Tim Schaller . All arrows are pointing at Kyle Brodziak . That way JJ can be a winger . Then they could go after Tobias Rieder , who can play all three forward positions admirably and fit anywhere . You know who else might be worth a looksee is Tomas Jurco . 

But..... if they could just sign . Derek Ryan , that alone might be enough .

 

Edited by billpayor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, billpayor said:

Yeah those two would be ideal . But the only way either of them would sign in Edmonton is if they were overpaid and the oil can't afford to do that . They might be able to sign one , but not both .

I think the way they should go is to sign a 4c through free agency at a bargain bin price the names that come to mind are Daniel Carr ( who apparently can play 4c ) Kyle Brodziak  or Tim Schaller . All arrows are pointing at Kyle Brodziak . That way JJ can be a winger . Then they could go after Tobias Rieder , who can play all three forward positions admirably and fit anywhere .

But..... if they could just sign . Derek Ryan , that alone might be enough .

 

Definitely seems like they view Khaira as a winger as Chiarelli mentioned they are looking for a 4C. I think Brodziak would be a solid addition. If we signed Derek Ryan it would eat most of the cap space we have unfortunately so I doubt they persue him too hard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, MessierII said:

Definitely seems like they view Khaira as a winger as Chiarelli mentioned they are looking for a 4C. I think Brodziak would be a solid addition. If we signed Derek Ryan it would eat most of the cap space we have unfortunately so I doubt they persue him too hard.

True , if they were able to sign Ryan though , he would most likely be the only UFA signing  .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Including cash in trades is still prohibited, but teams may retain part of a traded player's salary to ease the cap burden on the acquiring team. Provisions on suchretention are as follows: The acquiring team must assume at least 50 percent of the remaining salary and cap charge of the SPC.

It's wiki so I'm not 100% on it

Gotcha ... thanks for the info.

Not sure where I got the 25% number from .... obviously I wasn't paying attention to the details as much as I should have.


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, billpayor said:

Yeah those two would be ideal . But the only way either of them would sign in Edmonton is if they were overpaid and the oil can't afford to do that . They might be able to sign one , but not both .

I think the way they should go is to sign a 4c through free agency at a bargain bin price the names that come to mind are Daniel Carr ( who apparently can play 4c ) Kyle Brodziak  or Tim Schaller . All arrows are pointing at Kyle Brodziak . That way JJ can be a winger . Then they could go after Tobias Rieder , who can play all three forward positions admirably and fit anywhere . You know who else might be worth a looksee is Tomas Jurco . 

But..... if they could just sign . Derek Ryan , that alone might be enough .

 

I heard though that Derek Ryan is a fav of Bill Peters - and betting is he ends up in Calgary. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

I heard though that Derek Ryan is a fav of Bill Peters - and betting is he ends up in Calgary. 

He's gotta know that Calgary sucks , a good U of A guy .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd be happy if PC can sign one or two of Grabner, Comeau, Rieder, Duclair or Roussel, in no paticular order...on the wing.

And sign one of Grant, Shore, Brodziak, or Czarnik at Center. We would be in better shape this season. 

Finally if by miracle he's able to return Sekera + back to Carolina for Faulk...or some similar deal involving a vet RD, that would be amazing!

Green is still my preference! Mentoring Nurse, Benning, Bear, Bouchard...and buying time for latter two.

 

Edited by dkers77
Forgot information

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, billpayor said:

Maybe all they need to do is sign ( Chimera , Brodziak & Davidson )  to cheapo contracts and wait for the youngster to develop .

I will be shocked if any of those guys sign here. Many teams are looking for the cheap experienced player. I wouldn't doubt if Cammy is back and guys like Booth, Upshaw and Stafford get phone calls.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spector is saying Brodziak is likely going to sign with Edmonton . This is good .

Please don't sign both Chimera & Brodziak , one or the other is fine . But not both .

Preferably Brodz . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...