The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
bronco73

Oilers sign Koskinen

1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

The fact that it's Tide Pods is a sign of the times, but seemed appropriate

I didn't look that close obviously. It's the old Lays commercial I was thinking about. It's still a good one either way, Fog. 

17 hours ago, mrtea said:

We're no where close to thinking about a play off run at the moment, but there is no shortage of categories to complain about. Just label a dart board with as many hockey related categories as possible, close your eyes, and then shoot a dart at the board. Presto, there ya go, an unlimited amount of hockey things to complain about the Oilers. You only have to pick one, but I bet you can't stop at just one.

12 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

The fact that it's Tide Pods is a sign of the times, but seemed appropriate

That's hilarious guys - good one. 

You know things are bad when Flame fans start feeling sorry for you. I just hope whoever we hire as our new GM is the one we need. Usually 3rd time is the charm but since Sather this will be number 5 coming up (Lowe/Tambi/MacT/PC). Once the firing happens, not sure if I'll remember but we'll have to start a poll as to who of the four was our most affective GM and who did the most damage. 

6 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

That's hilarious guys - good one. 

You know things are bad when Flame fans start feeling sorry for you. I just hope whoever we hire as our new GM is the one we need. Usually 3rd time is the charm but since Sather this will be number 5 coming up (Lowe/Tambi/MacT/PC). Once the firing happens, not sure if I'll remember but we'll have to start a poll as to who of the four was our most affective GM and who did the most damage. 

Another funny thing is you are already looking forward to our next GM even though we still have our current GM. I commend you on your foresight, for I also believe it is a forgone conclusion that he is gone next season. The way he has us painted into a corner is sad and he will eventually pay the price.  

Yes, Koskinen is in the process of taking over as the #1 and Talbot seems to be only watching his starting job disappear. 

8 hours ago, hillcat said:

Pretty much speaks for itself. 

Save percentage difference is huge.

Kos is allowing 3.4 goals less per hundred shots.  Figure about 30 shots against per game and there is your full goal against difference a game.

With Kos' numbers it means when we score 3 goals, we win.  With Talbot's numbers, it's a loss.

• Like 1

As posted before, one stat but makes a huge difference.

Koss is giving us good goal tending at .923, average is .910-.915 range. That gives us a chance to win every night.

Need to score more goals to support him now. This is when mess's strategy comes into play. Good goaltending now we need more goal support..

And hopefully guys like Benning, Wideman, JJK much of the time and Spooner can be kept off the ice when asking to play any type of shut down role. Or we will leak more chances against.

39 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

Read some random article that says talbot hasn’t had a shutout in 81 straight games. Crazy if that stat is true. 

If Hitchcock can keep the guys "bought into" a defensively responsible style of play, I suspect we will see shutouts much more often. 

1 minute ago, RofRickster said:

If Hitchcock can keep the guys "bought into" a defensively responsible style of play, I suspect we will see shutouts much more often. 

From talbot? Looool

5 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

From talbot? Looool

I suspect Talbot will come around as well.  Lots of Oilers working to get their game back after the fiasco that was last year with McLellan.  Talbot is, at minimum, a good goaltender.  That he played poorly last year is undeniable, but that he can play well is equally undeniable.  We'll need 2 goalies to get very far, so I expect Hitch to keep them both active.    

17 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

I suspect Talbot will come around as well.  Lots of Oilers working to get their game back after the fiasco that was last year with McLellan.  Talbot is, at minimum, a good goaltender.  That he played poorly last year is undeniable, but that he can play well is equally undeniable.  We'll need 2 goalies to get very far, so I expect Hitch to keep them both active.    

I disagree 

17 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

Talbs is certainly capable of playing well. His issue is consistency. Since 2016 he's lost it. He has been unable to string games together. The 1st shot = goal time after time will do that. Does the team need to play better in front of him, yes. Is Talbs instilling the confidence for the team without worrying that every mistake ends in the back of the net to play better in front of him? No.

He will need to string some games to reaffirm. The way Koss is playing, he may net get that chance. Talbs is no longer the #1 goalie. Koss the Boss has done too many good things. There's not much doubt the 2.5 mil was well spent at this point. Most doubted including myself. Don't know how much Khudobin whom we played last night makes but he was a proven option. Hutton. McKilhenny on waivers who stopped 48 shots last night in a win. So many proven good goalies to choose from rather than a KHL goaltender. Gamble is paying off, and PC not looking dumb on that move

Koss is numero uno . Talbot is the backup and a solid backup at that . That's why Hitch sees goaltending  as a team strength . Give Koss credit for that . He's making Chiarelli look good and that's not easy to do .

Edited by billpayor

11 minutes ago, billpayor said:

Koss is numero uno . Talbot is the backup and a solid backup at that . That's why Hitch sees goaltending  as a team strength . Give Koss credit for that . He's making Chiarelli look good and that's not easy to do .

Talbot is a solid backup? What makes you say that. 

35 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

Talbot is a solid backup? What makes you say that. 

What makes you say he isn't ? Koskinen's emergence as #1 is a season changer , Talbot as his backup is a plus .

You are way too negative .

Edited by billpayor

Where are the folks losing their minds because we have a 4.1mil backup?!

The first few pages of this thread are a meltdown over a 2.5m backup. Some of us...cough...thought that 2.5 would be for a inexpensive just-in-case starter. 

Fascinating developments.

19 minutes ago, billpayor said:

What makes you say he isn't ? Koskinen's emergence as #1 is a season changer , Talbot as his backup is a plus .

You are way too negative .

He has lost 6 in row. Like 47th or something in stats. It’s not being negative... it’s being realistic. He has been one of the worst goalies...  starter or backup this year. Fact. 

Edited by TeamEllis

12 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

He has lost 6 in row. Like 47th or something in stats. It’s not being negative... it’s being realistic. He has been one of the worst goalies...  starter or backup this year. Fact. 

Agreed. I wish it wasn't true, but no matter how much or how little he plays, Tabby is playing bad.

23 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

Where are the folks losing their minds because we have a 4.1mil backup?!

The first few pages of this thread are a meltdown over a 2.5m backup. Some of us...cough...thought that 2.5 would be for a inexpensive just-in-case starter. 

Fascinating developments.

A just in case starter to overtake a so so starter is not saying much. Koss and Talbs only locked in for THIS year. So the signing of Koss at 2.5 is a test run, if PC would have known he would have signed longer term. if any of us would have known for sure. Mind you he has only played 10 games but looks like the real deal. His poise suggests nothing should change. Talbs can walk after this year, if he was signed longer term then there would be more minds lost.

Talbs not being motivated enough while in a contract year? Then there is no motivating him. A back up taking his spot from underneath him? Then there is no motivating him.

Edited by WindsorOiler

3 hours ago, TeamEllis said:

Talbot apparently is up for trade. Interesting.

I want Talbot traded to St Louis for Kyrou and a prospect maybe?  Or one of their goalies as a backup?  I don’t know who they have, but I want Kyrou!!

3 hours ago, TeamEllis said:

Talbot apparently is up for trade. Interesting.

a week or so ago, I thought Tabby for Bryan Rust from Pitt could be a good deal.

3 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Agreed. I wish it wasn't true, but no matter how much or how little he plays, Tabby is playing bad.

Talbot will get his starts , because they are going to need two goaltenders .It's not like we haven't seen this before with Talbot .

Talbot will be fine , Hitch obviously still believes in him . In fact he is elated to have two goaltenders of Koss & Tabs quality . A team strength .

Just now, billpayor said:

Talbot will get his starts , because they are going to need two goaltenders .It's not like we haven't seen this before with Talbot .

Talbot will be fine , Hitch obviously still believes in him . In fact he is elated to have two goaltenders of Koss & Tabs quality . A team strength .

I know. We saw this all last year, and in his former career as a backup. We did see a season of outlier performance as well.

Makes me wish we hadn't squandered his best play.

8 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

I know. We saw this all last year, and in his former career as a backup. We did see a season of outlier performance as well.

Makes me wish we hadn't squandered his best play.

I just think that Koskinen & Talbot can still be a very good goalie tandem . 

Two goalies are belter than one .

Edited by billpayor

1 minute ago, billpayor said:

I just think that Koskinen & Talbot can still be a very good goalie tandem . 

We'll see for the next 60 games, but no way do we see this tandem together past that....unless they're OK swapping contracts

I doubt Tabby would take 1 year at a time at a 35% discount

1 minute ago, Fogolin2 said:

We'll see for the next 60 games, but no way do we see this tandem together past that....unless they're OK swapping contracts

I doubt Tabby would take 1 year at a time at a 35% discount

They will be fine for this season and they can carry on from there .