The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
HappyHappy

Bakersfield Condors 18/19

Title says it all. A place to discuss this year's Condors team. I anticipate a competitive season from the squad and think they have a good shot at playoffs as we have some solid prospects in the system. Pete has done a decent job at stocking the shelves in the system since his arrival, nice to have a competitive farm team finally.

Last night the Condors opened their season at home with a 8-1 pounding of the Stockton Heat (Calgary). What a way to start their season! First line center Brad Malone led the way with 1g 3a. RWers Russell and Callahan both scored twice, also Jones, Benson, Hebig all finished with a goal and a helper each. Only five Condors did not register a point. Montoya stopped 21 of 22 shots. The team went 4/7 on the PP and the PK was perfect allowing 0 goals on 3 chances. Well done boys!

Edited by HappyHappy

4 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

Title says it all. A place to discuss this year's Condors team. I anticipate a competitive season from the squad and think they have a good shot at playoffs as we have some solid prospects in the system. Pete has done a decent job at stocking the shelves in the system since his arrival, nice to have a competitive farm team finally.

Last night the Condors opened their season at home with a 8-1 pounding of the Stockton Heat (Calgary). What a way to start their season! First line center Brad Malone led the way with 1g 3a. RWers Russell and Callahan both scored twice, also Jones, Benson, Hebig all finished with a goal and a helper each. Only five Condors did not register a point. Montoya stopped 21 of 22 shots. The team went 4/7 on the PP and the PK was perfect allowing 0 goals on 3 chances. Well done boys!

What an amazing start to the season!

Saturday did not go as well as Friday for the Condors. Though outshooting the Sharks 38-31 in their 2nd game of season the Condors lost 5-1. The lone goal scorer was Currie. PP was 0/1, PK went 5/6. Dylan Wells was in net stopping 26/31 shots.

Edited by HappyHappy
pk was 5/6 not 1/6

Condors improved to 2-1-0 and got their revenge on the Barracuda Wednesday night with a comeback 3-2 shootout victory over San Jose. Shots were 36-25 Condors, special teams went PP 0/3 and PK 4/5. Montoya (2-0-0) stopped 23 of 25 shots while allowing 1 goal in the shootout. Shootout scorers for Condors were Marody and Benson. Next game is Saturday then the team only has 3 games remaining for rest of month. Another dumb schedule.

6 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

Condors improved to 2-1-0 and got their revenge on the Barracuda Wednesday night with a comeback 3-2 shootout victory over San Jose. Shots were 36-25 Condors, special teams went PP 0/3 and PK 4/5. Montoya (2-0-0) stopped 23 of 25 shots while allowing 1 goal in the shootout. Shootout scorers for Condors were Marody and Benson. Next game is Saturday then the team only has 3 games remaining for rest of month. Another dumb schedule.

Seems like old AL is playing well!

Though special teams were strong stopping all seven of the Tucson Roadrunners (Arizona) PPs and going 1/3 on their own PP opportunities, it wasn't enough as the Condors let their 1-0 first period lead slip away and fell to the Roadrunners 2-1. Cameron Hebig was the lone goal scorer for the Condors and Al Montoya was in net stopping 19 of 21 shots. Bakersfield (2-2-0) are in a win one lose one trend atm and don't play again until next Saturday.

Despite setting a new franchise record for shots on goal in a period with 24 in the 2nd, and outshooting their opponents 49-23 in the game, the Condors lost 5-4 to the San Diego Gulls (Anaheim) Saturday night. Al Montoya was in net. Special teams went 1/5 on the PP and the PK allowed one goal on three kills. The PP was tops in the league at 35.7% and the PK second overall at 90.5% entering the game. Hebig scored another PP goal giving him 3 on the year. Benson had 2 assists and Marody led the way with 2g, 1a. The Condors are now 2-3-0 and don't play again until Saturday the 27th when they'll face the Stockton Heat.

edit) Bear was listed as injured for this game. I'm unsure what the issue is.

Edited by HappyHappy

27 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

I'm noticing that Bakersfield is at the bottom of the heap again.  And no one is in the top 60 in scoring.  

Did you also notice they've only played 5 games whereas the rest of the league have played 6-8 games.

2-3-0 17gf, 15ga. A win and they pass two teams in their division, it's not as bad as you make it seem, at all. Not to mention I believe we've outshot the competition in every game played so far, just we've ran into a couple hot goaltenders, happens, but the effort has surely been there. Also, Marody, Hebig, Malone, Benson all have a point a game, Marody having 6pts in 5gms, Currie at 4. Let them play a couple more games like the rest of the league and I'm sure we'd have a name or two or three in the top 60 in scoring. So again, not that bad, at all.

4 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

Did you also notice they've only played 5 games whereas the rest of the league have played 6-8 games.

2-3-0 17gf, 15ga. A win and they pass two teams in their division, it's not as bad as you make it seem, at all. Not to mention I believe we've outshot the competition in every game played so far, just we've ran into a couple hot goaltenders, happens, but the effort has surely been there. Also, Marody, Hebig, Malone, Benson all have a point a game, Marody having 6pts in 5gms, Currie at 4. Let them play a couple more games like the rest of the league and I'm sure we'd have a name or two or three in the top 60 in scoring. So again, not that bad, at all.

No worries ... I actually very much appreciate you highlighting them and their results.  I wanted to know where Marody was sitting in scoring, and didn't look as close as I should have.  Thanks for the correction.

9 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

No worries ... I actually very much appreciate you highlighting them and their results.  I wanted to know where Marody was sitting in scoring, and didn't look as close as I should have.  Thanks for the correction.

All good.:)

I'm wondering what is wrong with Bear, he's only played 2 games.

The Condors improved to 3-3-0 with another stomping of the Stockton Heat (Calgary) by a score of 8-2 on Saturday night. PP was 2/7 and the PK stopped the Heat's lone opportunity. David Gust 2g,1a and Logan Day 1g,2a led the way for the Condors meanwhile all but four players recorded points in the game. Stuart Skinner was in net stooping 22/24 shots.

Condors next game is a Halloween affair on Wednesday night where they will play the Heat for the third time already this season.

Edited by HappyHappy

2 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

The Condors improved to 3-3-0 with another stomping of the Stockton Heat (Calgary) by a score of 8-2 on Saturday night. PP was 2/7 and the PK stopped the Heat's lone opportunity. David Gust 2g,1a and Logan Day 1g,2a led the way for the Condors meanwhile all but four players recorded points in the game. Stuart Skinner was in net stooping 22/24 shots.

Condors next game is a Halloween affair on Wednesday night where they will play the Heat for the third time already this season.

:th_banana:Thnx for the update Happs. I was keeping an eye on that last night. Looks like we may have a balanced scoring attack.

Edited by Sharptooth1

The Stockton Heat have scored a power-play goal in every game this season EXCEPT for the ones against the Bakersfield Condors.

Sounds like the Condors have the Heat's number so far this year.

The games haven't even been close been close with 8 - 1 & 8 - 2 scores prior to tonight's game.

The Stockton Heat had one minute of good play in the 2nd period tonight where they scored 2 goals. Unfortunately they won the game though being outplayed the entire game as per usual. Shots 35-26 Condors. PP 1/4 Heat 1/6 Bakersfield. Special Teams win hockey games. Make no mistake, the Heat SUCK in comparison to the Condors folks!

GO CONDORS GO!!

:th_wave:

...Heat Suck!!...

57 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

The Stockton Heat had one minute of good play in the 2nd period tonight where they scored 2 goals. Unfortunately they won the game though being outplayed the entire game as per usual. Shots 35-26 Condors. PP 1/4 Heat 1/6 Bakersfield. Special Teams win hockey games. Make no mistake, the Heat SUCK in comparison to the Condors folks!

GO CONDORS GO!!

:th_wave:

...Heat Suck!!...

Lol

Condors improved to 4-4-0 with a 4-3 win over the Texas Stars (Dallas) Saturday night. LW Evan Polei led the way with 1g, 1a while fellow LW Cameron Hebig scored his team leading 5th goal of the season and team leading 10th pt. Al Montoya stopped 27 of 30 shots. PP was 1/4, PK allowed 1 goal on 4 chances.

Ethan Bear was back in the line-up and recorded 1 assist, +1 on the game.

Up next The San Antonio Rampage (St. Louis) today at 5pm as Bakersfield concludes back-to-back games this weekend.

1 hour ago, HappyHappy said:

Condors improved to 4-4-0 with a 4-3 win over the Texas Stars (Dallas) Saturday night. LW Evan Polei led the way with 1g, 1a while fellow LW Cameron Hebig scored his team leading 5th goal of the season and team leading 10th pt. Al Montoya stopped 27 of 30 shots. PP was 1/4, PK allowed 1 goal on 4 chances.

Ethan Bear was back in the line-up and recorded 1 assist, +1 on the game.

Up next The San Antonio Rampage (St. Louis) today at 5pm as Bakersfield concludes back-to-back games this weekend.

Finally they are playing a few games. There schedule was almost worse then the Oil to start the year. 

Can't go back and edit no more..:( Just wanted to add to last post that shots were 30-30 in yesterday's game vs the Stars. I believe the Condors have outshot their opponents in every other game thus far this season, including tonight...

Vs the Rampage, shots were 35-23 in favor of the Condors en route to a 3-2 victory concluding their weekend with back-to-back wins. Shane Starrett stopped 21 of 23. Gambardella and Malone each had a goal and a helper while Patrick Russell had two assists and Logan Day picked up the other Condor goal. I noticed Bear picked up 12 minutes in penalties so he musta got a 10 min misconduct of some sort, I'm not sure what happened but I guess he's feeling better lol.

Condors are now 5-4-0 on the season. 35gf, 26ga. They sit 4th in the Pacific with 10 pts while the Barracuda (SJ) lead the way with 17 pts and a record of 8-1-1 (shootout loss courtesy of us).

Next up they'll face the Iowa Wild (Minnesota) Thurs at 8:30am (weird?), and Sat night, both are road games for Bakersfield. 

Condors won their third in a row and are now 6-4-0 after yesterday's 5-4 OT win vs the Iowa (Minnesota) Wild. Shots were 41-28 Bakersfield, Al Montoya was in net and earned his 100th AHL victory. Cooper Marody led the way with the game winning goal in overtime and two assists in regulation. Bakersfield and Iowa play again tomorrow at 5pm.

• Thanks 1

Condors won their third in a row and are now 6-4-0 after yesterday's 5-4 OT win vs the Iowa (Minnesota) Wild. Shots were 41-28 Bakersfield, Al Montoya was in net and earned his 100th AHL victory. Cooper Marody led the way with the game winning goal in overtime and two assists in regulation. Bakersfield and Iowa play again tomorrow at 5pm.

We have been outshooting our opponents big time and are playing some pretty good hockey right now. Great to see. 

Imagine if Yammo and JP were sent down and added to the roster. I can only imagine good things would happen and they would get lots of play time and confidence.

1 hour ago, WindsorOiler said:

Imagine if Yammo and JP were sent down and added to the roster. I can only imagine good things would happen and they would get lots of play time and confidence.

I totally agree that’s where they should be. Sometimes I feel as though the Oilers organization is a little short sighted and need to think more long term. 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, WindsorOiler said:

19 hours ago, Sharptooth1 said:

I totally agree that’s where they should be. Sometimes I feel as though the Oilers organization is a little short sighted and need to think more long term. 

Surely beats sitting in the press box watching the big club. On RW in Bakersfield we have P.Russell, Gust, Vesel, and Callahan. None of which are likely to be NHLers so there is room for both Yam and JP. They could play 1-2 RW while the others move down a notch or get shipped to ECHL or whatever. My point is they wouldn't be taking playing time away from anyone overly relevant to the overall plot. They need to be getting lots of minutes playing SOMEWHERE and not sitting. I'm not sure what mgmt. is thinking lately regarding these two players. I'll guess (hope) at least one (likely JP as he's always in TM's doghouse) of the two goes to the farm very soon. Can't have then sitting, it's foolish to do so.

Surely beats sitting in the press box watching the big club. On RW in Bakersfield we have P.Russell, Gust, Vesel, and Callahan. None of which are likely to be NHLers so there is room for both Yam and JP. They could play 1-2 RW while the others move down a notch or get shipped to ECHL or whatever. My point is they wouldn't be taking playing time away from anyone overly relevant to the overall plot. They need to be getting lots of minutes playing SOMEWHERE and not sitting. I'm not sure what mgmt. is thinking lately regarding these two players. I'll guess (hope) at least one (likely JP as he's always in TM's doghouse) of the two goes to the farm very soon. Can't have then sitting, it's foolish to do so.

I'm with you Happy.  I would like to see some swapping in and out of players from the farm and the big club.  They clearly aren't that far apart in ability.  Time to see something else, and put Yam and JP in a place where the microscope isn't so tightly focussed on them.  Let them develop in a less lime-light oppressed environment for a while, and give some rewards to those who have performed on the farm.

8 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

I'm with you Happy.  I would like to see some swapping in and out of players from the farm and the big club.  They clearly aren't that far apart in ability.  Time to see something else, and put Yam and JP in a place where the microscope isn't so tightly focussed on them.  Let them develop in a less lime-light oppressed environment for a while, and give some rewards to those who have performed on the farm.

And here they come.

I didn't realize it but I guess Marody has been playing RW alongside Hebig and Benson on the top line so that's a lot of bodies at RW now. Guessing the big club calls up Marody now, hopefully with intentions to play him. Maybe a second body gets called up too, sure we'll find out soon enough.

12 hours ago, HappyHappy said:

I guess our wishes got granted. They really pay close attention to what we think eh!