The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
oldwarrior

Fired!

Just now, pillotte said:

He's only hard on his players if they do not show effort - Give him a bit of time 2 - 3 games and I am confident there will be a noticeable improvement. One of his greatest assets is he communicates very well you know what your job and expectations are. He doesn't expect players to play above their abilities. 

They are talking on the radio on how when PC and TM were hired there was a shift in the NHL

We all have seen this. The team did not switch from size to speed right away so playing a bit of catch up.

TM is an old style coach, he did not adjust to the changing game and can be stubborn.

Hitch is an old style coach also. I hope he can adapt and bring in the change of philosophy of today's NHL. We still have some slower players that have been and will continue to struggle with the shift. This is my concern, bringing in another old school type coach.

2 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

I worry about Leon. I don't see this as a very good match.

Me too. Nurse as well. Talbs will be held accountable too, could be a good or a bad thing.

1 minute ago, billpayor said:

Communication what a concept .

Yeh No Kiddin' 

2 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

I worry about Leon. I don't see this as a very good match.

Leon will be fine - He'll get direction and I'm sure will be a force as we've seen when he is motivated to play. If not, well maybe he'll be swapped for that #1 D we need!

I was just saying last night after reports JQ was not interested in going back to work this soon." I wonder if they can pry Hitch out of retirement?" 

Wellcome Hitch. I have a ton of respect for you and expect results after only a few games. I am pumped that we now have a really stellar coaching staff (Not to sure about Shwartz). 

This is going to make the next quarter very interesting.

TSN say's PC (true architect of this disaster) will be making the announcement, it will only be fitting if in the background BN is chomping down on a Nicky burger, and the dynasty boy's sipping red wine!

Edited by thekiltedzombie

I was just listening to the Blues GM making the announcement after they fired Mike Yeo. It will be interesting to compare and see if PC accepts any responsibility at all.  

Did you know "Wildwood Sports" broke this story 5 am this morning ,Wildwood time? :ph34r:

Best of luck to TM, he did his best. I think his assistance did him in....Too bad he didn't get proper personnel.....A good leader surrounds himself with knowledgeable and talented people. Maybe, he shouldve hired Ted Nolan as one of his assistance? simply just to motivate the players even....oh well, shoulda woulda coulda.......

Welcome Mr Hitchcock, I hope he brings his own staff, they need to get rid of the old residue.....cant just change part of the bandage, the entire piece has to go!:th_shrug:

53 minutes ago, thekiltedzombie said:

I hope he's only here until the end of the year...

Now lets keep the axe swinging because it has not hit the appropriate targets yet!

lmao...:D

The news is still settling in for me.....but isn't this typical of the "Oiler Soap Opera" of the past 12 years!  We brought in the wrong players under PC and we fired the wrong guy now. 

I see Hitch as a short-term solution...stabilize this team, get the fundamentals sorted out and play out the season like pros.  At season end, there will / should be a long-term hiring.  I hope.

The longer PC stays, the worse our chances for improvement.

TM needs a break from this mess....good luck down the road, Todd.

57 minutes ago, 94oildrops said:

Un...BELIEVEABLE.

I'm confused though didn't he just retire? I could be wrong. 

"until the right job comes along",.... as he stated himself....B)

I heard the Hitch hire is only to the end of this season.  Excellent framing a very important decision for the club.  Great that retired Hitch answered the bell.  He is a no nonsense , systems guy whose m.o. is holding players accountable.  Good, this is what our players need more than anything (other than better players lol).  Our west coast swing won't see much coasting , Hitch will guarantee that.  

Some of our guys might not like the in your face approach to being coached.  We'll find out soon enough who they are, and it will be interesting following the fallout. 

And I said in an earlier post, PC's firewall is gone.  If Hitch can't win with the group, then PC is next, word ! 

Good luck to Todd;  nice guy , hope he does well in the future.  

Edited by kman23

3 minutes ago, RapierShot said:

I see Hitch as a short-term solution...stabilize this team, get the fundamentals sorted out and play out the season like pros.  At season end, there will / should be a long-term hiring.  I hope.

+1 

50 minutes ago, thekiltedzombie said:

Never said he wasn't a good coach. I said I hope he's only here until year end, because then your not choosing someone in a panic move and can fully evaluate your options.

Imo he may not be the ideal personality and style for this group long term, and by only giving him the rest of this year you get to evaluate that.

Why couldn't the players choose the coach? Wouldn't it make more sense if the players played a part in the selection of the coach.(throw some names in a hat?)  ..Why shove down the players throats a coach the majority of the players don't like or wont play for?....:th_shrug:   

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

2 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Why couldn't the players choose the coach? Wouldn't it make more sense if the players played a part in the selection of the coach.(throw some names in a hat?)  ..Why shove down the players throats a coach the majority of the players don't like or wont play for?....:th_shrug:   

Because that’s stupid C2G.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, WindsorOiler said:

Hitch is known to be hard on players and can be hard to play for. Will have to see if the players buy in. If there's a bunch of spoiled whiners and babies on this team, it might not go so well. No I in team.

Image result for cartoon baby crying gif

4 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Honestly, who cares what most of these lazy, lathargic, whiney baby millionaire players want at this point.  For the last 12 years it’s been coach after coach after coach.  At what point can we fire players, and terminate contracts like other pro sports organizations!?!? Enough! Crack some skulls Hitch! Hope you weed them out.  We might have a full press box though and have to ice the Condors (only if we want to win). ;)

43 minutes ago, WindsorOiler said:

They are talking on the radio on how when PC and TM were hired there was a shift in the NHL

We all have seen this. The team did not switch from size to speed right away so playing a bit of catch up.

TM is an old style coach, he did not adjust to the changing game and can be stubborn.

Hitch is an old style coach also. I hope he can adapt and bring in the change of philosophy of today's NHL. We still have some slower players that have been and will continue to struggle with the shift. This is my concern, bringing in another old school type coach.

Me too. Nurse as well. Talbs will be held accountable too, could be a good or a bad thing.

I don't get what you mean by this..this kinda talk is over exaggerated and over rated....."hockey is hockey"...:th_shrug:.

32 minutes ago, RapierShot said:

The news is still settling in for me.....but isn't this typical of the "Oiler Soap Opera" of the past 12 years!  We brought in the wrong players under PC and we fired the wrong guy now. 

I'm afraid Hitch is gonna save his job....he might even get an extension.....Like kiltedzombie stated..."keep the axe swinging"....lol.:D

The playoffs are not out of the question yet so it's encouraging to see a change happening at a time when the season is not completely lost. The Oilers have been out of a realistic playoff contention by Christmas time in the last two years. All they need is 75 points from the remaining 64 games. It's not an easy task but not unrealistic. 

34 minutes ago, RapierShot said:

Hitch is only here till the end of the season according to the presser.   Good news is we might get the right todd to start next season (i'm still a huge supporter of Nelson and his coaching philosophy,  I think he is the lemon squeezer we need.  )

Hitch is known for defensive structure, exactly what this team needs. We’ve never had a defensive style coach so it’s about time. If it’s only for this season then so be it, I’m just happy PC didn’t turn it over to GG, that would have been worse than TM. Hitch is a no nonsense guy, floaters beware. 

21 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

Because that’s stupid C2G.

Its not stupid...its a legitimate idea....:lol:....why,  because you wont be chosen? ;)

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

Just now, Messrules11 said:

Hitch is known for defensive structure, exactly what this team needs. We’ve never had a defensive style coach so it’s about time. If it’s only for this season then so be it, I’m just happy PC didn’t turn it over to GG, that would have been worse than TM. Hitch is a no nonsense guy, floaters beware

Yes. I'm afraid we'll see a wave of trade requests from the players who refuse to adjust their work ethic but that's a price to pay. 

BFD...I'm on board as having Todd Nelson considered for the longer haul.  But if there's any chance of getting Jon Cooper at the end of the season, I'd go there first.  The first thing a new coach would want is PC gone....we're not going to get real bona fide candidates if he remains.