The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
oldwarrior

Fired!

1 minute ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Its not stupid...its a legitimate idea....:lol:....why,  because you wont be chosen? ;)

Hockey is not a democracy. A group of 20-something players who have been in the league for less than 5 years would by no means be qualified to make such decision. 

5 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Hitch is known for defensive structure, exactly what this team needs. We’ve never had a defensive style coach so it’s about time. If it’s only for this season then so be it, I’m just happy PC didn’t turn it over to GG, that would have been worse than TM. Hitch is a no nonsense guy, floaters beware. 

Oh Jeez - Defensive Oh My Benning just filled his shorts - 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Greyone said:

Hockey is not a democracy. A group of 20-something players who have been in the league for less than 5 years would by no means be qualified to make such decision. 

More heads are better than one, don't you think? ......Anyway, we should be the first to do so, at seasons end...:th_shrug:.

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

Hitch is in a very enviable position.  He's only short-term so he doesn't have to build a body of work for future considerations....he can act independently behind the bench and set all his own systems (stop short of pissing off McD)....and he has no obligation to any player (press box, call ups, etc).  

Problem is (from my perspective) that if Hitch is successful, he'll be saving PC's hide...not sure I'm crazy about that.

Edited by RapierShot

4 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

We should be the first to do so......at seasons end...:th_shrug:.

Coff, just be happy the TM trainwreck is no longer going to derail this team

Never a TM guy .... he is over rated, coming from an All Star squad in San Jose, that underperformed  their talent continually.  I think his tenure here has proved that.

Hitch?   Kind of like bringing in Iron Mike, isn't it?  Guy is a dinosaur, as are his player/coach relations .... it has been shown that this doesn't work in the NEW millionaire baby NHL.

That said ... when the Nucks were done with Iron Mike, he kicked so much backside in his time there, playing so many mind games with the players, that the immediate reaction to getting away from him was getting like 3 presidents trophies in a row with Crawford and a few more with Vigneault.

Maybe Hitch will open the door for the same, breath of fresh air, reaction next season, with whomever the Oilers hire?

FIRE CHIARELLI!  For the love of the Oil.  Make the bad decisions stop.  Was never a TM fan, but Hitch!?  Can you image McDavid being told to play the trap?? Oh wait, we won't have to imagine it, we will see it in action very soon.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Never a TM guy .... he is over rated, coming from an All Star squad in San Jose, that underperformed  their talent continually.  I think his tenure here has proved that.

Hitch?   Kind of like bringing in Iron Mike, isn't it?  Guy is a dinosaur, as are his player/coach relations .... it has been shown that this doesn't work in the NEW millionaire baby NHL.

That said ... when the Nucks were done with Iron Mike, he kicked so much backside in his time there, playing so many mind games with the players, that the immediate reaction to getting away from him was getting like 3 presidents trophies in a row with Crawford and a few more with Vigneault.

Maybe Hitch will open the door for the same, breath of fresh air, reaction next season, with whomever the Oilers hire?

We might see a kinder more gentle Ken Hitchcock . However I hope he isn't too kind & gentle . 

1 minute ago, HarleyMcDavidson said:

I hope he does make a difference, but you can get the best coach in the league and if you don't have players, defense and a goalie, than that coach will not do anything spectacular. Chia should've gone as well.

Not true, Vegas last year proved that

23 minutes ago, HarleyMcDavidson said:

I hope he does make a difference, but you can get the best coach in the league and if you don't have players, defense and a goalie, than that coach will not do anything spectacular. Chia should've gone as well.

+1  

17 minutes ago, billpayor said:

This team deserves Ken Hitchcock right about now .

No team deserves Hitch... well, except maybe the flames because I dislike them. 😋

19 minutes ago, Nemesisss said:

+1  

No team deserves Hitch... well, except maybe the flames because I dislike them. 😋

No..... the Oilers deserve Hitch . At least until the end of the season . Then MAYBE they can have Quenville .

• Like 1

Agreed Bill....when this season is over, the next coach will inherit a team that understands what playing hockey is really all about.  All zones, all situations...all work!

Everybody remember that Hitchcock is now a member of this organization, and Mclellan is still a member of this organiaztion, and the rules governing this forum extend to all forum members as well as members of the organization, so we will not permit personal attacks towards any of the aforementioned.  Thanks.

So stoked for this. Toddy lost the guys in the room that was clear.  Hitch will push these guys to get the best out of them, if he pushed the blue jackets  into playoffs in just one year im sure he can take us in. OLD SCHOOL coaching, love it. PETER ! your next.

This is it.  

The Oilers are a better team than the one that should have had the cup 2 years ago, if not for McLellan.  With Hitch at the helm there are no excuses.  Odds will stay up for a very short while.  Place your Stanley Cup bets gentlemen, don't be shy.         

1 hour ago, Messrules11 said:

Not true, Vegas last year proved that

Vegas was a team with 4 second lines (12 top 6 forwards), and 8 middle pairing defense men, and 3 mid-range starting goalies.

That is NOT the Oilers now.

24 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

This is it.  

The Oilers are a better team than the one that should have had the cup 2 years ago, if not for McLellan.  With Hitch at the helm there are no excuses.  Odds will stay up for a very short while.  Place your Stanley Cup bets gentlemen, don't be shy.         

Unless, the premise to your argument is wrong ..... and the Oilers are NOT a better team than their 2 years ago's counterparts?

3 hours ago, WindsorOiler said:

They are talking on the radio on how when PC and TM were hired there was a shift in the NHL

We all have seen this. The team did not switch from size to speed right away so playing a bit of catch up.

TM is an old style coach, he did not adjust to the changing game and can be stubborn.

Hitch is an old style coach also. I hope he can adapt and bring in the change of philosophy of today's NHL. We still have some slower players that have been and will continue to struggle with the shift. This is my concern, bringing in another old school type coach.

Me too. Nurse as well. Talbs will be held accountable too, could be a good or a bad thing.

There seems to be a few posts about holding players accountable and whether or not that could be a good or bad thing.

At 8.5m for Leon, and I think 4.1m for Talbot, Nurse 3.3m (?) they need to be held accountable...……..if not, let them go play for one of the other 30 NHL teams.

I don't mind losing if the effort and concentration and determination is there...…...and I am not saying it isn't with either Leon, Cam or Darnell, but just that sometimes it appears that it isn't.    Connor may also be a beneficiary of playing under a coach like Hitchcock, as no one is better going forwards, but a few times this year Connor's "man" has been left alone to either score or play a crucial part in a goal against the Oil.

The Oilers have scored 11 goals in their last 3 games for just 2 points.    If we were defensively sound, those 11 goals have to be worth anywhere between 4 and 6 points.

Hopefully, if nothing else, Hitch can make us more defensively sound without hurting our players personal feelings...….. we wouldn't want that, would we? 

Edited by Blackhawk216

18 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Unless, the premise to your argument is wrong ..... and the Oilers are NOT a better team than their 2 years ago's counterparts?

Forget for a minute that we are talking of the Oilers. 

If a team's best players are 19 and 20 years old, will the team be better in a couple years, or worse?

It's difficult to see it with the Oilers, since they gave up on themselves and nobody has played hard since the San Jose series.  Certainly I would agree that they haven't played better (which seems a contradiction, right?). 

Time will tell, but I expect a significant, dramatic, remarkable, ridiculous turn around.  

29 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Vegas was a team with 4 second lines (12 top 6 forwards), and 8 middle pairing defense men, and 3 mid-range starting goalies.

I what fantasy is this? Reaves, Carrier, Pirri, Lindbergh, Leipsic, Carpenter, Bellmare, on what team are these guys top 6 forwards? Sbisa, Hunt and Merrill are top 4 guys? I’ll give you Fleury is a starter but the rest of your observations are out to lunch

2 hours ago, Nemesisss said:

FIRE CHIARELLI!  For the love of the Oil.  Make the bad decisions stop.  Was never a TM fan, but Hitch!?  Can you image McDavid being told to play the trap?? Oh wait, we won't have to imagine it, we will see it in action very soon.

So if the choice is McD to score as many points as last season and the Oil not to make the play offs, or alternatively, McD to score maybe 85 to 90 points, and we do make the play offs...………..I know which I would pick.

2 minutes ago, Blackhawk216 said:

So if the choice is McD to score as many points as last season and the Oil not to make the play offs, or alternatively, McD to score maybe 85 to 90 points, and we do make the play offs...………..I know which I would pick.

Lol, and Hitch will ensure that Connor makes the same choice.......

50 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

I what fantasy is this? Reaves, Carrier, Pirri, Lindbergh, Leipsic, Carpenter, Bellmare, on what team are these guys top 6 forwards? Sbisa, Hunt and Merrill are top 4 guys? I’ll give you Fleury is a starter but the rest of your observations are out to lunch

They were ALL picked as other team's #5 or #6 forwards, and other team's #3 or #4 defense men.

Entry Draft Rules - protect 10 players:  one goalie, 3 defenders, and 6 forwards  OR 4 defenders and 5 forwards.

In order to protect some young, talent, other players had to be left exposed.

Not a fantasy ..... well documented truth. .... now, they are in the same salary cap hell as everybody else.  Lost some guys in order to give others raises .... and they are OUT of the playoffs, like us.

Edited by DeutchOil

43 minutes ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Same arguments were made about Ales Hemsky and being asked to play defence, and Eberle and Hall ..... the Oilers didn't make playoffs either way, because the whole team wasn't good enough around them.