The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
Coffey2Gretzky

Welcome Home! Coach Hitchcock

On 11/20/2018 at 7:02 PM, Posthugger said:

8 coaches later..... is this the problem?   I was thinking players tuned out Todd,player interviews suggest that not to be the case. Gawd McDavid looks worn in his interview.

Maybe the problem was they listened to him. I "liked the guy" fwiw, but the game they were playing was odd with many guys looking uncomfortable with the play. I'm looking forward to see some different hockey on the ice.

8 hours ago, Sharptooth1 said:

I don’t think we will see a huge change overnight, but I do think as the season goes on we will see some big changes in JP.  Sounds like hitch likes him and wants to take on the challenge personally. I think JP is one of those kids that needs constant direction. 

Very true and 'kid' is the operative word I think. He really hasn't matured yet IMO. 

Just now, OilyJetFan said:

Very true and 'kid' is the operative word I think. He really hasn't matured yet IMO. 

Yep. I think he is a young 20 

Hitch,

4th line on last minute against the Ducks

Bringing Pulj up which is a big question mark instead of letting him develop in the A

Playing Spooner on the top line when Cags and Rattie have already had success there. Why?

Playing Wideman in defensive situations. Asking someone to play defense that is not good at playing defense.

Giving Talbs a chance against the worst team in the league. Got to play him eventually but the momentum we were starting to get is all lost now with the loss. Guy can't make the save when it counts. This was an important game as was the Ducks game. Questionable decisions by the coach.

Sloppy play and defensive breakdowns but that's to be expected with the new system. We were in it, their goalie made the extra saves, ours didn't.

Three games and Two practices in ..... and Hitch is already getting called out?

I'm going to give him the mandatory 10  games before I decide anything about him.  He needs to be given time with the players.  He said himself, that it took 9-10 games in St.Louis to change things.  I think we owe him that much time ..... all things considered (This team has NO Pieterangelo, NO Shattenkirk,  NO Bottom end to the line up whatsoever).

Team is competitive in ALL games played so far ..... ALL on the road.  Its the best start we could hope for ...... the opening couple weeks after an early season coach change is always tough sledding.

11 hours ago, WindsorOiler said:

Hitch,

4th line on last minute against the Ducks

Bringing Pulj up which is a big question mark instead of letting him develop in the A

Playing Spooner on the top line when Cags and Rattie have already had success there. Why?

Playing Wideman in defensive situations. Asking someone to play defense that is not good at playing defense.

Giving Talbs a chance against the worst team in the league. Got to play him eventually but the momentum we were starting to get is all lost now with the loss. Guy can't make the save when it counts. This was an important game as was the Ducks game. Questionable decisions by the coach.

Sloppy play and defensive breakdowns but that's to be expected with the new system. We were in it, their goalie made the extra saves, ours didn't.

You make some good points. Hitch has too see what he has to work with. His interview about why he brought PJ up  so quickly may answer your concern. Spooner is a goal scorer with speed which is why he may have tried him there. McD must be difficult at first to play with because he does things on ice that you can't believe. But I believe he will put Cags back with McD soon.  I think Wideman will be better he's only had one practice but he will be better than Benning. Yes about Talbot but when do you play him? Koskinen needed some rest so why not play Talbot against the bottom team (which really isn't as bad as their record indicates). The line combinations will settle down once Hitch knows and sees what he has. Already the line of Broadziak, Lucic and Kassian is showing dividends and the puck will start going in for them. I'm very encouraged about this new direction.

2 hours ago, pillotte said:

You make some good points. Hitch has too see what he has to work with. His interview about why he brought PJ up  so quickly may answer your concern. Spooner is a goal scorer with speed which is why he may have tried him there. McD must be difficult at first to play with because he does things on ice that you can't believe. But I believe he will put Cags back with McD soon.  I think Wideman will be better he's only had one practice but he will be better than Benning. Yes about Talbot but when do you play him? Koskinen needed some rest so why not play Talbot against the bottom team (which really isn't as bad as their record indicates). The line combinations will settle down once Hitch knows and sees what he has. Already the line of Broadziak, Lucic and Kassian is showing dividends and the puck will start going in for them. I'm very encouraged about this new direction.

McD will not want to stay here if we keep losing.

That's fine if the coach needs to feel things out but wins should be the priority. He has made some blunders and it's costing us games while he feels things out. You don;t put your 4th line even if a vet line in the last minute. You don't break up something that has really been working well. Our top line. Tinker with the other lines. If Koss is good to go you play him, team has had nights off in between games.

Lost 6-7, could have been 2-0-1 after this trip. Much better than 1-1-1. Not a good momentum builder the past 2 games. Losing the prior game in the last minute/OT then losing last night to the league's worst team. Can't sugar coat that stuff. Earlier in the year, we were beating the good teams, if we would lose a couple games, no biggie. Losing to the bad teams, different story. LA played the night before also. No killer instinct, too much tinkering.

16 minutes ago, WindsorOiler said:

McD will not want to stay here if we keep losing.

That's fine if the coach needs to feel things out but wins should be the priority. He has made some blunders and it's costing us games while he feels things out. You don;t put your 4th line even if a vet line in the last minute. You don't break up something that has really been working well. Our top line. Tinker with the other lines. If Koss is good to go you play him, team has had nights off in between games.

Lost 6-7, could have been 2-0-1 after this trip. Much better than 1-1-1. Not a good momentum builder the past 2 games. Losing the prior game in the last minute/OT then losing last night to the league's worst team. Can't sugar coat that stuff. Earlier in the year, we were beating the good teams, if we would lose a couple games, no biggie. Losing to the bad teams, different story. LA played the night before also. No killer instinct, too much tinkering.

If Hitch had been here since the season started you would have some good points, but he has only been here a few games. He probably wanted to give Talbot a chance to prove himself and against the last place team is a good test. How the Oilers play against a team like the Kings is probably informing Hitch how much work is needed. He was probably hoping for a better result, but it is what it is. Hitch is probably wishing he wasn't so confident at the start. He was probably hoping his confidence would be contagious, good luck with that Hitch!

I think whoever hired Hitch has 8 games left and then will quietly step aside and let Keith move Hitch into a consulting position and  take over the season as an interm. Keith can assign one of the 3 ASSISTANT coaches that were hired! This is once again a brain fart that only OBC clan could possibly do! This is so simple and so Stupid! Now the Oilers have a pack of disjointed coaches fighting for survival. 

2 hours ago, Talbutt said:

In retrospect the worst GM in Oiler history is Chia.

No google search : Mike Milbury for all time worst GM ....Tambellini was worse then PC.(rumor has it there still trying to remove Lowe's arm)

Edited by Posthugger

Look at all the people now circling their wagons around Hitch....like he is the prophet who walked out of a forest of hockey sticks to save the day.

Yeah he won a Stanley cup and Todd didn't......yeah I remember the cup goal with the player in the crease and the goal allowed after an entire season and playoffs where this would not be allowed.Buffalo robbed of fair play. Yeah I remember this leagues huge blunder.

Oiler fans jump on crumbs thrown and renew hope and all is forgiven for a decade plus of disaster management.

These problems are much much bigger then a coach....this is more window dressing from the Oilers to the fans....look were taking care of it.

Bringing in spooner and wideman is more window dressing.

Hitch,spooner and wideman are going to change all the fortunes here....Ottawa took a 6th pick for Wideman...even Ottawa is realistic in knowing the value of what they gave up.

Pregame presser Hitch talking about Dallas

Remember last year how good they were and how things changed when Bishop went down. How this alone (one player, the goalie) changed their season. They never recovered. They were unbeatable for awhile last year.

Which brings me to Talbs. Whether you have an injured goalie or a goalie who's play is not up to par how it can change the dynamic of the team. So Hitch was not able to turn that around last year for Dallas, what's going to be different here?

Chiasson up to the 1st line for today's game. guess it's worth a shot but Cags was successful there...just sayin

Pulj moved up to 2nd line with Nuge and Cags

Wideman and Gravel out, think Garisson and Benning in? Lol. Not sure about this move.

Spooner on 4th line C now.

Coach wants to see what he has but all this shuffling how are you suppose to build chemistry? McD at the beginning of the season said it would be nice just to have a line and ride the chemistry instead of constant changes. No one listens apparently.

:th_hockey20player:I like how Coach Hitch has the 3rd line humming....they seem to be happy with the extra ice time and responsibility....Lucic sometimes even takes off like a rocket on the forecheck! ..great to see!   Just don't put him on the ice the last minute of the game trying to preserve a win....I hope coach KH learned his lesson from the Ducks game...  .  

21 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

:th_hockey20player:I like how Coach Hitch has the 3rd line humming....they seem to be happy with the extra ice time and responsibility....Lucic sometimes even takes off like a rocket on the forecheck! ..great to see!   Just don't put him on the ice the last minute of the game trying to preserve a win....I hope coach KH learned his lesson from the Ducks game...  .  

3rd line going great. In response as to why they were on the ice McD's line just went off and are not a grinding line - Ducks send Getzlaff - 220 lbs / Ritchie - 234 lbs / Rakell 202 lbs / Kesler 206. Oilers send out Brodziak 205 lbs / Lucic 231lbs / Kassian 211 lbs. The only line available to Hitch was Nuge 184 lbs. / Cags 176 lbs Chaisson 208lbs. The Ducks would have brushed them away like flies they wouldn't be able to handle them also with the extra man there is absolutely no space out there. He did exactly what he should have done to try and grind out the win along the boards it was unfortunate the puck was freed up. 

34 minutes ago, pillotte said:

3rd line going great. In response as to why they were on the ice McD's line just went off and are not a grinding line - Ducks send Getzlaff - 220 lbs / Ritchie - 234 lbs / Rakell 202 lbs / Kesler 206. Oilers send out Brodziak 205 lbs / Lucic 231lbs / Kassian 211 lbs. The only line available to Hitch was Nuge 184 lbs. / Cags 176 lbs Chaisson 208lbs. The Ducks would have brushed them away like flies they wouldn't be able to handle them also with the extra man there is absolutely no space out there. He did exactly what he should have done to try and grind out the win along the boards it was unfortunate the puck was freed up. 

Sometimes the "weight" thing is over rated imo...I didn't mind Kazz and Brods being out there because they can "skate", Lucic for the most part isnt quick enough...I would sooner have a "speedster" like Caggs for example, getting in the face of the defensemen or whoever "quickly" before they can even think about taking a look or making a play...They don't need to out muscle them or plow them over, they just need to get on them quickly and be in their way, have active sticks.....In this case, Lucic arrived after the crime scene happened!...:th_shrug:.

1 hour ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Sometimes the "weight" thing is over rated imo...I didn't mind Kazz and Brods being out there because they can "skate", Lucic for the most part isnt quick enough...I would sooner have a "speedster" like Caggs for example, getting in the face of the defensemen or whoever "quickly" before they can even think about taking a look or making a play...They don't need to out muscle them or plow them over, they just need to get on them quickly and be in their way, have active sticks.....In this case, Lucic arrived after the crime scene happened!...:th_shrug:.

OK so who in this case would you have had out there? We as fans criticise and  say the coach made a mistake but offer NO suggestions as to who should be on the ice. We as fans have no idea as to what is going on the bench nor the situation at the time. Who is available? I wouldn't have put JJK, Spooner nor JP on the ice, McD's line was just off so you're down to Nuge's line which physically could not even come close to competing with the people the Ducks had on the ice way too small. They have to match their "muscle" and size along the boards.

1 hour ago, pillotte said:

OK

Why is your post so long, with the 50 empty lines?

Also, I agree. The lack of alternatives from this forum is an ongoing challenge.

17 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Why is your post so long, with the 50 empty lines?

Also, I agree. The lack of alternatives from this forum is an ongoing challenge.

Good Q Don't know why the post was so long. Yes and you are correct in the lack of alternatives only criticisms come forth.

Alternative is to bring back Linus Omark for a heavy hitting forecheck :th_banana:

Actually I hope that this team can develop some consistency by having some line combinations that are continuous.  I expect Hitch to bring a much needed and better defensive structure.  A progression would make sense, 1) defensive structure, 1B) constant line mates, 2) work ethic, 3) attitude of determination and relentless pursuit, 4) develop a killer instinct rather than accept missed opportunities.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, neufab said:

Alternative is to bring back Linus Omark for a heavy hitting forecheck :th_banana:

Actually I hope that this team can develop some consistency by having some line combinations that are continuous.  I expect Hitch to bring a much needed and better defensive structure.  A progression would make sense, 1) defensive structure, 1B) constant line mates, 2) work ethic, 3) attitude of determination and relentless pursuit, 4) develop a killer instinct rather than accept missed opportunities.

After watching the last few games particularly last nights I believe we are starting to see some of the things you have listed above. But as Hitch said we have to be better.

25 minutes ago, pillotte said:

After watching the last few games particularly last nights I believe we are starting to see some of the things you have listed above. But as Hitch said we have to be better.

The more defense oriented system is what the team desperately needs. Unfortunately, McDavid can kiss his Art Ross good bye - an I'm totally OK with that. 

On 11/29/2018 at 3:46 PM, pillotte said:

Good Q Don't know why the post was so long. Yes and you are correct in the lack of alternatives only criticisms come forth.

What?

I'm not sure what it is ? But maybe Hitchcock is talking and Chiarelli is listening . That may have been Maclellan 's down fall , because Chiarelli didn't seem to listen to Todd at all when he was HC .   Or Chiarelli was doing too much talking and Maclellan was doing too much listening . 

Hitchcock has been a god send for Chiarelli .

5 hours ago, WindsorOiler said:

What?

Stop that 

8 hours ago, Greyone said:

The more defense oriented system is what the team desperately needs. Unfortunately, McDavid can kiss his Art Ross good bye - an I'm totally OK with that. 

Premature I think. Once they get their system together, it will be built to release the beast. He'll get back to the point machine he is by his very nature. Can't hold him back.....imo.

Hitch had Rattie as a rookie / young player in St. Louis.  Rat was never able to crack that lineu, most likely for good reason.   Predictably, Rat was out of our lineup for the first couple of games when H arrived, and now is on the 4th v McD line.  I can only imagine the cringe Rattie experienced  when he heard H was the new bench boss.  Talk about going from the penthouse to the outhouse, at speed.

Maybe after Rat pressured Stars player 21 (Eakin?) to cough up the puck for the winning goal the other day, he might some good grace out of H .