The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
MDubz83

Oilers claim Valentin Zykov off waivers from Carolina

Saw him and Darling on waivers yesterday.

I like Zykov better than Spooner myself. A contract spot yes, player still developing, yes. Cheap signing for this year and next. Chiasson 2.0? Possible :)

One knock. Seems he's a tad slow. That isn't stopping Chiasson.

Edited by WindsorOiler

There was an article on oilersnation yesterday why they should claim him. I guess it's another low-cost shot and finding a viable right handed winger as Chiasson is currently the only one. He'll probably start in Patrick Russell's spot? 

Just wondering how we're going to manage the Zykov contract ($675,000).  Sekera is giving us cap relief of $5m+ but is looking like he'll be returning before year-end.  Reider's cap relief is uncertain as to specific term.  Given that, how are the Oilers going to manage without making a trade?

2 minutes ago, RapierShot said:

Just wondering how we're going to manage the Zykov contract ($675,000).  Sekera is giving us cap relief of $5m+ but is looking like he'll be returning before year-end.  Reider's cap relief is uncertain as to specific term.  Given that, how are the Oilers going to manage without making a trade?

I would think a trade would be coming then. 

58 minutes ago, Greyone said:

There was an article on oilersnation yesterday why they should claim him. I guess it's another low-cost shot and finding a viable right handed winger as Chiasson is currently the only one. He'll probably start in Patrick Russell's spot? 

It might be making up for letting Aberg go. Different players but Aberg is performing more so than many of our wingers. IMO they put the wrong guy on waivers. Canes put the wrong guy on waivers also, at least that's my bet. Like Vykov plus he has a cool name.

1 hour ago, RapierShot said:

No problem with cap, maybe even gives us more room. You can bury close to a million for each player in the minors.

:th_hockey20player:

Oh look what PC found at the yard sale?  This is exactly what I want PC to do....Look in all the bins and see if there's anything potentially valuable and useful?   Just never mind the signing of college smurfs now...... Anyway, Zykov has decent size and a good shot....RH too, that'll help...He just might be a poor mans Laine....He's done well in the AHL...Even better than my nephew Anton.....Have a look....Anyway, me likes this acquisition.... 

https://www.eliteprospects.com/player/155382/valentin-zykov

I'm still wondering if we should take a chance on  defensemean ZACH REDMOND as well.... I think he's a Sens prospect....Look him up....Has very good stats , good size and good shot.....:th_shrug:

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

2 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Oh look what I PC found at the yard sale?  This is exactly what I want PC to do....Look in all the bins and see if there's potentially valuable and useful?   Just never mind with the college smurfs now...... Anyway, Zykov has decent size and a good shot....RH too, that'll help...He just might be a poor mans Laine....He's done well in the AHL...Even better than my nephew Anton.....Have a look.... 

I'm still wondering if we should take a chance on  defensemean ZACH REDMOND as well.... I think he's a Sens prospect....Look him up....Has very good stats , good size and good shot.....

Wildwood just reported that Slep is a bust and Zykov can really add some offense on the Oilers unlike Spooner. Making up my own Wildwood, see what happens.

Nice pick up . Nothing to lose on this one . Hitch wants to create a third line . I suspect we see a combination of (Khaira-Spooner-Zykov) . But I'd rather see the combo of (Zykov-Spooner-Rattie) . I think this is very interesting indeed . 

Slepyshev sucks but I like this Zykov pickup.  Crazy stat about him beating out McDavid for rookie of the year in 2013 too.  It will be fun to see what he can do here, if anything.  And RH shot to boot.  If he can’t do anything, his career will definitely officially die with the Oilers and he will end up playing on Yakupov and Slepyshev’s line in the KHL.

1 hour ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Oh look what PC found at the yard sale?  This is exactly what I want PC to do....Look in all the bins and see if there's anything potentially valuable and useful?   Just never mind the signing of college smurfs now...... Anyway, Zykov has decent size and a good shot....RH too, that'll help...He just might be a poor mans Laine....He's done well in the AHL...Even better than my nephew Anton.....Have a look....Anyway, me likes this acquisition.... 

I'm still wondering if we should take a chance on  defensemean ZACH REDMOND as well.... I think he's a Sens prospect....Look him up....Has very good stats , good size and good shot.....:th_shrug:

I think they are going to be OK with a third pair of Gravel & Benning and of course that fourth pair of Garrison & Wideman . At least until Sekera returns then we will see what transpires . 

Worth a shot, he has some decent attributes and comes cheap. Let's see if he can translate his junior and AHL offensive success into NHL offensive success. 3g 4a in 10 games with the Canes last season is decent for sure, but looks like he has struggled a bit this season with 0g 3a in 13 games with the same club. Perhaps circumstances were different between last and this season for him, hmm.

Anyway, Welcome to the Oilers Valentin!:)

I think this signing is absolutely great...This is exactly what you want from A GM. Low risk/Reward. How many times have we seen big contract players roll in and have no chemistry, lose their touch or just cash a paycheck.

This player has all the pedigree to succeed... hopefully he finds chemistry and comfort here to allow it shine.

I'm all for what the GM is doing .... Koskinen and Chiasson both are successful and fantastic gambles.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

I think this signing is absolutely great...This is exactly what you want from A GM. Low risk/Reward. How many times have we seen big contract players roll in and have no chemistry, lose their touch or just cash a paycheck.

This player has all the pedigree to succeed... hopefully he finds chemistry and comfort here to allow it shine.

I'm all for what the GM is doing .... Koskinen and Chiasson both are successful and fantastic gambles.

Don't forget about Reider & Hitch as well. Once we get everybody back in the fold (including Sekera) I believe this team and direction we're heading is going to be awesome. This is the first time I'm seeing the players totally "playing for each other".

2 hours ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

I hope he keeps drinking that Koolaid....:th_hockey20player:

Yes, let’s keep in mind he beat out a 15 year old McDavid lol

One team's cast-off ...  

It will be interesting to see how he looks out there.  A physical player?  Good size, for sure.  I am guessing that if H wanted him, he at least finishes his check.  

Things are starting to get pretty crowded on the right side;  Drai, Chaisson, PJV, Zak, Rattie,  Zykov. 

Coming back will be Rieder to add to the overall mix.  The 3rd and 4th lines have lots of bodies pushing for playing time now. 

1 hour ago, kman23 said:

One team's cast-off ...  

It will be interesting to see how he looks out there.  A physical player?  Good size, for sure.  I am guessing that if H wanted him, he at least finishes his check.  

Things are starting to get pretty crowded on the right side;  Drai, Chaisson, PJV, Zak, Rattie,  Zykov. 

Coming back will be Rieder to add to the overall mix.  The 3rd and 4th lines have lots of bodies pushing for playing time now. 

Definitely looking forward to Reider's return to see were he fits in the scheme of things . Sorting out a third line would be easier with the right center .

Now is Spooner a center or a winger ? Or could they now trade Spooner & Rattie for a competent 3C . 

Edited by billpayor

8 hours ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

I hope he keeps drinking that Koolaid....:th_hockey20player:

More Koolaid

Apparently Oilers wanted Zykov but LA picked him so MacT traded down to get your boy Slepy. Now Slepy is overseas. As for Zykov, the player he wanted he is now getting. Let's see if MacT and PC makes a genius move. Hitch threw his 2 cents in and made some inquiries too. Posters have complained that the old boys club has it's hands in everything, well by Hitch's presser he helped make this decision as well.

After Spooner, nice to see the coach saying wait a minute. Let's see if this is a worthwhile move that makes us better before making it. My only issue is that he is missing some speed. But have not seen enough of him.

Edited by WindsorOiler

I wonder if we'll move Spooner? I'm still confused as to why we even got that clown. He's done absolutely nothing since he's been here. What a terrible trade that was. 

Apparently slow.  But is a beast around the net and on the puck

Car fans feel he was completely misused.  Hopefully Edm can find a way to use him in the top 6

A LW RH shot which is nice

Put him w/ RNH and JP. 

Zykov-RNH-JP

Punt Spooner asap. Put that plug on waivers

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, WindsorOiler said:

More Koolaid

Apparently Oilers wanted Zykov but LA picked him so MacT traded down to get your boy Slepy. Now Slepy is overseas. As for Zykov, the player he wanted he is now getting. Let's see if MacT and PC makes a genius move. Hitch threw his 2 cents in and made some inquiries too. Posters have complained that the old boys club has it's hands in everything, well by Hitch's presser he helped make this decision as well.

After Spooner, nice to see the coach saying wait a minute. Let's see if this is a worthwhile move that makes us better before making it. My only issue is that he is missing some speed. But have not seen enough of him.

The fact is the old boys club is here. Todd is gone Hitch is in and if can get a little bit in their ear the team will be better.  The next scapegoat is PC....once he is gone and if this circus continues the threat will move to the old boys club and calls for Katz to clean house completely.

Strome for spooner was a gamble thinking Spooner would catch fire here....so far there has not been a spark.

Hitch is a smart coach and uses tools available to him.He also seems to assess which players go together and knows who is bringing the play to the game.

Wideman....much like the spooner trade...a gamble. A 6th pick will not draft us an NHL player.... I dont care for this acquisition as it seemed more desperation then anything.

Zykov is a solid player....I don't think he is slow but he's not a speedster either. The age is perfect,the size is decent,the potential is there and we have to be excited at the value here....players like this usually cost something and we got him for a bargain. I would take chances on players like this often because the minute lighting strikes and you find that one player that cost you nothing your a genius! If the player fails fans are not disappointed because you haven't gave up anything and are not locked into a ridiculous contract you can't move or bury.

I wish ZyKov success and if it happens it may change the way this management assess talent vs risk. Yes ZyKov beat out McDavid but I think we need to step back and look at the reality of it. Let's not beat the kid down for something he accomplished a few years ago or use that to place unrealistic expectations on him. Let's hope he develops and earns a spot to be a successful member here....

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

I wonder if we'll move Spooner? I'm still confused as to why we even got that clown. He's done absolutely nothing since he's been here. What a terrible trade that was. 

It was a gamble....strome was doing nothing here...there was the hope Spooner would bring it as he did last time he was traded....it has't happend by any stretch of the imagination and from what we have seen I'm not sure it will.

38 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

The fact is the old boys club is here. Todd is gone Hitch is in and if can get a little bit in their ear the team will be better.  The next scapegoat is PC....once he is gone and if this circus continues the threat will move to the old boys club and calls for Katz to clean house completely.

Strome for spooner was a gamble thinking Spooner would catch fire here....so far there has not been a spark.

Hitch is a smart coach and uses tools available to him.He also seems to assess which players go together and knows who is bringing the play to the game.

Wideman....much like the spooner trade...a gamble. A 6th pick will not draft us an NHL player.... I dont care for this acquisition as it seemed more desperation then anything.

Zykov is a solid player....I don't think he is slow but he's not a speedster either. The age is perfect,the size is decent,the potential is there and we have to be excited at the value here....players like this usually cost something and we got him for a bargain. I would take chances on players like this often because the minute lighting strikes and you find that one player that cost you nothing your a genius! If the player fails fans are not disappointed because you haven't gave up anything and are not locked into a ridiculous contract you can't move or bury.

I wish ZyKov success and if it happens it may change the way this management assess talent vs risk. Yes ZyKov beat out McDavid but I think we need to step back and look at the reality of it. Let's not beat the kid down for something he accomplished a few years ago or use that to place unrealistic expectations on him. Let's hope he develops and earns a spot to be a successful member here....

Zykov is slow.  Make no mkistake.  It's why he is having trouble cracking the NHL

He may catch fire on the right line, but he will flame out out in the long run

This is another Chia hopeful

5 minutes ago, johnnyterrible said:

Zykov is slow.  Make no mkistake.  It's why he is having trouble cracking the NHL

He may catch fire on the right line, but he will flame out out in the long run

This is another Chia hopeful

6'1 and 225.... I think the speed is deceiving because of how he is built. I would say he is average speed but he does have a way of scoring in the paint and pretty good hand ,eye skills. The kid had some good success prior to Carolina maybe with a change to climate like his homeland he will blossom.

This maybe a Chia hopeful but the cost is wonderful...a couple quick goals and he will be in the thick of the output of many of our current wingers....lol