The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
johnnyterrible

Oilers aquire Alex Petrovic for Chris Wideman/conditional 3rd

10 hours ago, johnnyterrible said:

By far the worst dman last night.  Even over Benning...if that's even possible.

Oilers got caved when he was on the ice.  15-2 in chances against

One thing for sure I'll cut them slack on - both flew in that day and didn't practice other than the pre game skate. I don't mind the Petrovic trade so much if it means we'll be moving Benning once our D is healthy - but I'm still confused on Manning especially if Russell is only a game or two away. I do agree neither dmen played particularly well but lets see how they do on the road trip before we start running them out of town lol. I give them that first game, they have a good excuse. 

If you want to improve the Oilers in one single move without having to trade anyone is simply GET RID OF BENNING

All trades are futile if the players don't work hard and play as a team. If the Oilers miss the playoffs this year I believe that's it for P. Chiarelli. Hello, Ken Holland? 

1 hour ago, pillotte said:

If you want to improve the Oilers in one single move without having to trade anyone is simply GET RID OF BENNING

Addition by subtraction.

Benning had the puck in our end and could have cleared it, he shot it into the spot where all the Jets were and they gathered up the puck and took the play up the sidewall moving closer to the net.....and then they scored.

16 hours ago, mrtea said:

Addition by subtraction.

Benning had the puck in our end and could have cleared it, he shot it into the spot where all the Jets were and they gathered up the puck and took the play up the sidewall moving closer to the net.....and then they scored.

He's crap!!!!!!!!!!!

2 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

we should just buy him out then?

2 hours ago, TeamEllis said:

Waive him. 

So, If he's put on waivers and no one claims him then the Oilers would have to buy him out to get rid of him?  Correct?

PC just signed him to a too big of a contract, so that's not likely to happen.

Vancouver would be obligated to claim him it's a nepotism thing right Kevin?

Edited by El Cid
  • Haha 1

He's the worst defensemen since we ran out Justin Schultz, Tom Gilbert or Jeff Petry!!! 

Burn him at the stake!!  (And let the next candidate take his place)

lol

8 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

He's the worst defensemen since we ran out Justin Schultz, Tom Gilbert or Jeff Petry!!! 

Burn him at the stake!!  (And let the next candidate take his place)

lol

Those are three decent players that were dealt for nothing.

37 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Yes, and now the notion is that we should waive Benning.  Whether he is playing well right now, and whether he is overpaid right now, and whether he is in over his head right now, he is still an asset.  You don't waive 24 year old dmen because they are struggling with assignment while 3 guys above them are injured.     

46 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

Yes, and now the notion is that we should waive Benning.  Whether he is playing well right now, and whether he is overpaid right now, and whether he is in over his head right now, he is still an asset.  You don't waive 24 year old dmen because they are struggling with assignment while 3 guys above them are injured.     

You do when three replacements come and play better than him.

13 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

You do when three replacements come and play better than him.

Well, you can, but then you can't get upset when you find you have no depth and the guys you cut/waived/traded are all playing well, but for other teams. 

1 hour ago, RofRickster said:

Benning came from college, and is still college material imo...The team is better off looking in the ahl or  european leagues if they want to try finding hidden gems...They need to look elsewhere than just the college ranks. Waste of time and money..😎

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

26 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

Well, you can, but then you can't get upset when you find you have no depth and the guys you cut/waived/traded are all playing well, but for other teams. 

There’s no magic formula that is going to turn Benning into a NHL defenceman on some other team. We all know what he is. His uncle is GM in Vancouver and even he hasn’t come calling. Trade him, waive him, who cares? He’s a garbage asset that costs us goals on a steady basis

Edited by Messrules11

38 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

When healthy we have about 9 better players than benning. Klef - Larrson - Russel - Nurse - Jones - Manning - Petrovik - Sekera - Gravel. We can’t keep a guy at 2 mill a year to be 10th on the depth chart. 

Edited by TeamEllis

On 1/1/2019 at 10:26 PM, OilyJetFan said:

One thing for sure I'll cut them slack on - both flew in that day and didn't practice other than the pre game skate. I don't mind the Petrovic trade so much if it means we'll be moving Benning once our D is healthy - but I'm still confused on Manning especially if Russell is only a game or two away. I do agree neither dmen played particularly well but lets see how they do on the road trip before we start running them out of town lol. I give them that first game, they have a good excuse. 

Once Klefbom n Sekera return, these are our D pairings...

Klefbom Larsson

Nurse   Sekera 

Petrovic  Russell/Manning

Looks pretty good to me....:rolleyes:

Jones still needs seasoning in the minors imo......😎

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

5 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Klefbom Larsson

Nurse   Petrovic 

Russell    Manning

Gravel

Maybe it's Nurse that still needs seasoning in the minors . 🤯

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

There’s no magic formula that is going to turn Benning into a NHL defenceman on some other team. We all know what he is. His uncle is GM in Vancouver and even he hasn’t come calling. Trade him, waive him, who cares? He’s a garbage asset that costs us goals on a steady basis

And yet.......he's been a consistent plus player (+/-) since he got here?    

(So perhaps we should keep him around a while longer, just to bring us luck?)  :) 

3 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

And yet.......he's been a consistent plus player (+/-) since he got here?    

(So perhaps we should keep him around a while longer, just to bring us luck?)  :) 

Luck? He costs 1.9M and as stated above he could be 10th on the depth chart

18 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Klefbom Larsson

Nurse   Sekera 

Jones has been our 2nd best dman lately. 

22 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Klefbom Larsson

Nurse   Sekera 

No way I put Manning ahead of Russell if all are healthy. Manning is a #7 guy and we're paying him 2.25M to be that #7 guy - absolutely terrible trade. The only way this makes sense whatsoever is if there's more to Sekera's injury then we know and he won't be able to come off LTIR - if that's the case, then I understand the trade.

3 hours ago, El Cid said:

that's exactly his point.

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

No way I put Manning ahead of Russell if all are healthy. Manning is a #7 guy and we're paying him 2.25M to be that #7 guy - absolutely terrible trade. The only way this makes sense whatsoever is if there's more to Sekera's injury then we know and he won't be able to come off LTIR - if that's the case, then I understand the trade.

Some twitter noise about Sekera never playing in the NHL again. Which, considering the injuries and age, I don't discount entirely

3 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

that's exactly his point.

Some twitter noise about Sekera never playing in the NHL again. Which, considering the injuries and age, I don't discount entirely

Heard the same thing - he still needs to do some healing but apparently there's zero explosiveness to his skating. Could be the medical staff told the Oilers brain trust that he's done for this season anyway - 'healthy' enough to play but not at an NHL level. Maybe not even at an AHL level. So yeah, if that's the case then I get the Manning deal 100% then. 

5 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Russell and Nurse are not too far apart in ranking this year.

Too early to call Manning #7 or #4. 1st game he was #7, I liked his second game, looked solid. Need 15 games for any real assessment. 

( Petrovic does not look comfortable so far.)

Edited by Yuke

5 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Too early to call Manning #7 or #4. 1st game he was #7, I liked his second game, looked solid. Need 15 games for any real assessment. 

I think both Manning and Petrovic just need a little time to get settled. Both seem to make some mistakes at the beginning and then tighten up defensively and finish off way better.

9 hours ago, Yuke said:

I dunno - I think the exact opposite - 1st period in Arizona Manning got walked around like a pylon. Petrovic took a big hit, didn't react and dished out a few of his own later. Neither one are particularly good with the puck, that's why they're bottom pairing / 7th dmen. If they were, they wouldn't be here right now. But I do agree we need to let them settle in and see what they are all about 15 games from now. 

18 hours ago, El Cid said:

Vancouver would be obligated to claim him it's a nepotism thing right Kevin?

Burn!!!

Edited by VirginiaOiler