The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
RapierShot

GDT: OILERS @ LA KINGS; SATURDAY JAN 5 @ 8 PM; CBC, SN

Today against Anaheim we'll see what exactly kind of a hockey team we have. If they respond and come out p----d off and play with an edge then maybe just maybe there's some hope. If there's no change from last night then the problems go beyond management and coaching it's in the room and what ever it is GET RID OF IT Trade it bench it send it down buy it out whatever get rid of it because we're goin' nowhere while it's still there.

1 minute ago, pillotte said:

Today against Anaheim we'll see what exactly kind of a hockey team we have. If they respond and come out p----d off and play with an edge then maybe just maybe there's some hope. If there's no change from last night then the problems go beyond management and coaching it's in the room and what ever it is GET RID OF IT Trade it bench it send it down buy it out whatever get rid of it because we're goin' nowhere while it's still there.

Hopefully they see Doughty and Co. yucking it up all game long--especially after elbowing Mcd in the grill.  THAT would piss me off if I was an Oiler, but these guys are apparently cut from a different cloth.

3 minutes ago, oilersfaninca said:

Hopefully they see Doughty and Co. yucking it up all game long--especially after elbowing Mcd in the grill.  THAT would piss me off if I was an Oiler, but these guys are apparently cut from a different cloth.

What was he to do? Lucic I mean? No one even saw it and McD (is a man afterall) and didn't whine about it. It's up to the officials to see that and call that and they didn't. And last I checked, McDavid is playing tonight. As the 'pro' Lucic people (OMG - am I that :( ) are saying, the proof is in how many games McD has missed since he (Lucic) came here. The elbow was very subtle and caused zero damage. McDavid gets stuff like that all the time, Kassian dishes out stuff like that too. McD isn't the only guy Doughty does stuff like that too either. Lets get real here. Lucic stunk in that game, as did the rest of the Oilers. Like Pillotte says, lets see how they respond tonight. I don't care about a win (I'm hoping the loss, I'm cheering all out for Kaapo 'Kapow' Kakko to be an Oiler. He's exactly what we need - a big (6'4" 205 lbs) scoring right winger from Finland who just helped his team win a gold medal at the WJHC - wait..... hmmmmmm deja vu but can't quite put my finger on it - I just wanna say KAPOW when he scores for us

11 hours ago, watchman said:

wow.  This game is gonna leave a mark.  :unsure:

I don't recall another game where afterwards the coach and media went both barrels on the team. I can't find a redeeming comment anywhere

This may be some sort of turning point

6 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

What was he to do? Lucic I mean? No one even saw it and McD (is a man afterall) and didn't whine about it. It's up to the officials to see that and call that and they didn't. And last I checked, McDavid is playing tonight. As the 'pro' Lucic people (OMG - am I that :( ) are saying, the proof is in how many games McD has missed since he (Lucic) came here. The elbow was very subtle and caused zero damage. McDavid gets stuff like that all the time, Kassian dishes out stuff like that too. McD isn't the only guy Doughty does stuff like that too either. Lets get real here. Lucic stunk in that game, as did the rest of the Oilers. Like Pillotte says, lets see how they respond tonight. I don't care about a win (I'm hoping the loss, I'm cheering all out for Kaapo 'Kapow' Kakko to be an Oiler. He's exactly what we need - a big (6'4" 205 lbs) scoring right winger from Finland who just helped his team win a gold medal at the WJHC - wait..... hmmmmmm deja vu but can't quite put my finger on it - I just wanna say KAPOW when he scores for us

Lucic is our worst player. He cannot skate. Chia overestimated what he could bring.

11 minutes ago, VirginiaOiler said:

Interesting read - maybe Lucic does want out but he's still untradeable. No way I'd move him if I were the GM. Why? Because any deal that does make sense would involve me eating half his salary - and no way no how would I ever pay a player 3M a year for the next FOUR and a HALF season to play for another team. Not a chance. What I would do is what the poster in this link says - if Lucic wants out waive the NMC then and send him to Bakersfield - let him dominate down there and regain his confidence (plus he'll be a lot closer to his 'LA LA land summer home) and if he does start scoring again maybe we can move him for something decent and retain maybe 1.5M / year of his salary - that I would consider if we got something good coming back

53 minutes ago, oilersfaninca said:

Because he has so much to do with the success of that team...

At least he's better than Spooner. 

17 minutes ago, VirginiaOiler said:

wow...

I had heard that the team reached out to Kings AGM Mike Futa and the Oilers are in California but IF the Oilers make changes, it’ll be one of Craig MacTavish or Keith Gretzky taking the interim tag into the trade deadline should someone else not be hired instead.

Apparently, Gretzky orchestrated the Manning/Petrovic trades.

2 minutes ago, Oil_Dude said:

Lucic is our worst player. He cannot skate. Chia overestimated what he could bring.

LOL - he was with about 16 other players. That was a pathetic effort. But before we trade him, I'd start sitting him out. I'd be curious to see what kind of treatment McDavid got if Lucic wasn't dressed. Not to prove a point one way or the other - just to see. He has a NMC, not a 'must dress' clause. At minimum I would not dress him against the LA Kings ever again. If he's not going to hit why bother dressing him? I'd take it one step further, his summer home is there, he loves it there, so when going on a road trip to SoCal, I wouldn't even bring him. I'd leave at 'home' in Edmonton. Tell him to go shovel out all the other players driveways (those that have houses here anyway). At least then he'd be doing something somewhat useful lol 

1 minute ago, OilyJetFan said:

Interesting read - maybe Lucic does want out but he's still untradeable. No way I'd move him if I were the GM. Why? Because any deal that does make sense would involve me eating half his salary - and no way no how would I ever pay a player 3M a year for the next FOUR and a HALF season to play for another team. Not a chance. What I would do is what the poster in this link says - if Lucic wants out waive the NMC then and send him to Bakersfield - let him dominate down there and regain his confidence (plus he'll be a lot closer to his 'LA LA land summer home) and if he does start scoring again maybe we can move him for something decent and retain maybe 1.5M / year of his salary - that I would consider if we got something good coming back

Benching him seems to be the best move. Not a chance he waives his NMC to goto Bakersfield. Seems like too proud of a guy to be taking the minor league bus around the country. I think the best we can do would be to eat salary but, like you, it doesn’t sit well with me. Eating salary becomes necessary if we can get anything of value. 

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/edmonton-oilers/edmonton-oilers-as-flat-as-theyve-been-all-season-in-loss-to-kings

"When it was over, head coach Ken Hitchcock unloaded on a team that didn’t even bother to engage.

“We had one player show up and play, Darnell Nurse,” he said. “He was our best player by a mile, he was one of our most competitive players on the ice and that’s all we had.""

I agree with Hitch on this one 100%.

1 minute ago, VirginiaOiler said:

Benching him seems to be the best move. Not a chance he waives his NMC to goto Bakersfield. Seems like too proud of a guy to be taking the minor league bus around the country. I think the best we can do would be to eat salary but, like you, it doesn’t sit well with me. Eating salary becomes necessary if we can get anything of value. 

Lucic and a 3rd to any team for future considerations

3 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

wow...

I had heard that the team reached out to Kings AGM Mike Futa and the Oilers are in California but IF the Oilers make changes, it’ll be one of Craig MacTavish or Keith Gretzky taking the interim tag into the trade deadline should someone else not be hired instead.

Apparently, Gretzky orchestrated the Manning/Petrovic trades.

Interesting. I'm still wondering why both of them? Maybe it was only one of the two, and PC screwed up and rubber stamped both deals?? LOL. l still really hate the Manning trade. For one I don't like the dynamic of him in the room. #2 he couldn't be trusted on a 'hawks team that isn't very good and has a terrible contract. #3 - when Klef and Russell ar both back in the lineup, and if Sek returns - he'd be #5 on the depth chart at best and I'd even put Gravel ahead of him so that would be #6 on the depth chart for LHD though I''m sure Russell will be on the Right once he's back in again.

2 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

Lucic and a 3rd to any team for future considerations

Minnesota for Hendricks? Jk. I’m biased but I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Can’t be any worse than the trades we’ve made recently. Hendricks knows his flaws, but he can provide whatever it was that Lucic was brought in to do. 

4 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

Interesting. I'm still wondering why both of them? Maybe it was only one of the two, and PC screwed up and rubber stamped both deals?? LOL. l still really hate the Manning trade. For one I don't like the dynamic of him in the room. #2 he couldn't be trusted on a 'hawks team that isn't very good and has a terrible contract. #3 - when Klef and Russell ar both back in the lineup, and if Sek returns - he'd be #5 on the depth chart at best and I'd even put Gravel ahead of him so that would be #6 on the depth chart for LHD though I''m sure Russell will be on the Right once he's back in again.

Chia will also be given cab fare tonight as he will not be travelling with team EVER again. The Oiler's will have an interm Gm following the game  tonight if not later this morning.

It is also reported that Lucic has indeed requested a trade.

Edited by El Cid

Minnesota for Hendricks? Jk. I’m biased but I would make that trade in a heartbeat. Can’t be any worse than the trades we’ve made recently. Hendricks knows his flaws, but he can provide whatever it was that Lucic was brought in to do. 

we are not getting an asset for Lucic.

The question is, what else will we have to give up for someone to take part of him off our payroll?

9 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

LOL - he was with about 16 other players. That was a pathetic effort. But before we trade him, I'd start sitting him out. I'd be curious to see what kind of treatment McDavid got if Lucic wasn't dressed. Not to prove a point one way or the other - just to see. He has a NMC, not a 'must dress' clause. At minimum I would not dress him against the LA Kings ever again. If he's not going to hit why bother dressing him? I'd take it one step further, his summer home is there, he loves it there, so when going on a road trip to SoCal, I wouldn't even bring him. I'd leave at 'home' in Edmonton. Tell him to go shovel out all the other players driveways (those that have houses here anyway). At least then he'd be doing something somewhat useful lol 

I am not just talking about the LA game. Lucic is a throwback of the type of player that used to work in the NHL. He cannot skate and does not have a high enough skill level to compensate for it.

2 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

we are not getting an asset for Lucic.

The question is, what else will we have to give up for someone to take part of him off our payroll?

You’re absolutely right. I feel like PC has the nuclear option trades in his back pocket for Nuge and Drai. 

Edited by VirginiaOiler

I am not just talking about the LA game. Lucic is a throwback of the type of player that used to work in the NHL. He cannot skate and does not have a high enough skill level to compensate for it.

Ellis is not going to like reading this!

You’re absolutely right. I feel like PC has the nuclear option trades in his back pocket for Nuge and Drai. 

And that is what scares me. I am not opposed to trading any player not named McD but I do not want Chia anywhere near these trades. He screwed up too many of these big trades.

2 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Chia will also be given cab fare tonight as he will not be travelling with team EVER again. The Oiler's will have an interm Gm following the game  tonight if not later this morning.

It is also reported that Lucic has indeed requested a trade.

Well, Lucic better completely waive his NMC then, he can't dictate where he wants to go. Plus we need to retain a good chunk of his salary. I think the absolute best thing that can happen is two fold - #1 we fire PC, like you say NOW - not tomorrow, not next week, but as I'm typing this. #2 PC gets hired into another organisation tomorrow (not Tuesday, but tomorrow).

In a few weeks, the trade is announced "PC, now with the blankety blank's has orchestrated his first trade - he has traded two bottom (legit) 6 forwards, a #3 center that can win draws and score 15 goals/45 points a year, and a winger who can kill penalties and contribute on the score sheet as well, plus a 2nd round pick - to the Edmonton Oilers for Milan Lucic and Ryan Spooner". In the interview later PC stated "Making a deal like this take months of prep work, the fact that we could do it in a couple of weeks is a testament to the Oilers organisation" 

Ohhhhhhhhh, dare to dream OJF dare to dream ;)

And that is what scares me. I am not opposed to trading any player not named McD but I do not want Chia anywhere near these trades. He screwed up too many of these big trades.

Yep. Can't wait till he trades LD for Jake Muzzin and a sack of potatoes. 

And Nuge for a third round pick and a box of oranges. 🤣

25 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

You are correct to an extent. When other teams and we'll see tonite vs the Ducks. The abuse towards McD will get worse to the point where the line will be crossed and an injury will occur.  Yes it was an elbow (albeit a minor one) but the message must be sent that that will not or ever be tolerated. Don't have to drop the gloves but a few good hard hits, by dumping the puck into Doughty's corner and then really issuing a hard hard body check over and over will eventually wear him down because he is older now. Also LA probably would have responded and let them get the penalties. But no response is totally unacceptable, by anyone. 

Just now, 94oildrops said:

Yep. Can't wait till he trades LD for Jake Muzzin and a sack of potatoes. 

And Nuge for a third round pick and a box of oranges. 🤣

hey, hold on there - I think you're giving PC way too much credit here. No way he'd get the oranges and potatoes (which would be the best part of those deals).

1 minute ago, OilyJetFan said:

hey, hold on there - I think you're giving PC way too much credit here. No way he'd get the oranges and potatoes (which would be the best part of those deals).

Mmmmhhh. On second thought you are probably right. Especially about those oranges. Gonna be hard to let some of those go! 

Found this closing line from Hitch's interview (after he simply stated the obvious and didn't sugar-coat anything, god bless him) interesting:

"I've said enough. I'm going to get myself in even further trouble. "

If he knows he's going to get in trouble for not toeing the line, then the BS agenda/facade of the Old Boys' Red Winey Club Thing is pretty much an 'accepted fact' throughout the entire team, and explains the constant displays of lack of effort. 

This joke's gotta end now.

4 minutes ago, GrooveyAsh said:

Found this closing line from Hitch's interview (after he simply stated the obvious and didn't sugar-coat anything, god bless him) interesting:

"I've said enough. I'm going to get myself in even further trouble. "

If he knows he's going to get in trouble for not toeing the line, then the BS agenda/facade of the Old Boys' Red Winey Club Thing is pretty much an 'accepted fact' throughout the entire team, and explains the constant displays of lack of effort. 

This joke's gotta end now.

Look up the scrum on youtube - Hitches' expression was priceless as he ranted. He wanted to explode you could see it but he held back believe it or not - I think he was just about to explode when he said that line. I like what Staples said in his podcast on the cult of hockey last night - call up Russell (Patrick) and Malone and have them be your fourth line (Russell / Malone / Gamberdella) and have the Brodziak / Lucic / Spooner line watch from the press box. We could send Spooner and Brodziak down to Bakersfield though it takes them 24 hours to officially clear - both would as no team would want to pick up their contracts (they are signed for next year too).

As for the 'joke' Ash, it's been going on since '07. It won't end anytime soon. I'm cheering for losses again - I want to get Kapow Kakko. Not sure why, I"m sure he's a good kid and I certainly don't wish any harm on anyone, but that's the guy I want us to draft for some reason.

• Like 1

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this