The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
dkers77

Where's this train headed..?

This is sort of a two part post...and rather lengthy, so bare with me...

I promise I make some good points...

I think there's an inherent disturbance in the force on this club, and has been for some time.

When I see Connor get elbowed, shoved around, and Larsson almost get shoved into his own bench...and no one responds, and opponents don't have to answer for it...this team is broken...and/or the league to some degree for various reasons... 

Where is this train headed..? 

I'm 41, so I've been watching the game for the better part of 30 years. All of which I've cheered for the Oil.

Its not just the Oilers I have issue with at this point, but the game itself...

Which probably started in earnest since the 2017 playoff run, and how it ended. And that's after a decade of suffering through extreme disappointment, as we're all well aware, only to be disappointed again by poor officiating, on and off the ice. And ridiculous rule changes like challenging offsides, when your paying good money to two linesmen to make those calls in real time. If they don't catch it, it's a good goal IMO. This challenge should only be used to challenge goaltender interference...but unfortunately we got shafted there too...

Of course these are examples that resonate with us as Oilers fans, but I'm sure other fans have they're own injustices...

I'm not against rule changes as a whole. Everything evolves to some degree, and changes are sometimes necessary. The athletes themselves have evolved over the years, and perhaps dictate change. But when changes intended to make the game better, make it worse, and nobodys there to hear the tree fall...Is the league not taking a look at all of this..? Do they think everything is great the way it is..? I sometimes wonder..?

OFFICIATING/RULES 

The decision to cut down obstruction, had the right idea in an era that had too much clutching and grabbing. But now we see calls being made if your stick even touches a player, even if it's not impeding the opposing player. Yet we see many other more serious violations not called. Not to mention players immediately selling a supposed violation as soon as they even feel some type of contact. It makes me sick. I don't want to see games decided by chinsy penalty calls any more...

I get how fast the game is, and how hard it is, more than ever to officiate it. More on the games speed below...

And these non - penalties in past eras are now being called because the officials are mandated too...but is this really helping our game..? 

I see stars like Connor obstructed all night long while possessing the puck, and the officials don't call it because we'd have 10 power plays a game...but then call some chinsy hook or supposed hold on a player, just jockeying for position, unclear which player is actually impeding the other, without the puck, no less...That used to be called hockey. 

Instigator rule - otherwise known as I can't come to the defense of my teammate if I think the player in question won't man up to their actions, and drop them, so I have to choose someone who will. And I better be sure they will comply, or I'm really putting my team in a bind, my night is over...and they get away with whatever they want...rule. Now to be clear I'm not saying bring back the 70's. Quite honestly I don't think half this league could play in that era. I don't think they're tough enough...but I think that's a generational thing, and perhaps society has evolved somewhat to the point, that type of aggressive play has been for the most part bred out of these kids...Im just saying the players still need to be able to police themselves to a certain degree...

Removing the red line - huge mistake. At the time I never thought too much about it...I thought let's see how it goes...maybe it'll opens things up a bit. And it did...but it also dumbed the game down so too speak. Now instead of actually having to skate the puck out and make a play, you can just throw it down ice from your own hash marks to a teammate at the opposing blueline to tip it in...or flip the puck rainbow style to a foward for a breakaway...maybe hail mary football fans appreciate this, and perhaps I'm just old school, but this is not as entertaining or thought provoking to me...The other hot button topic regarding the removal is the speed of the game...how it's made the game faster. Some proponents love it. I'm not one of them. I believe all its done, is suck a lot of both team play as a unit and individual play out of the game. Those two terms may seem contradictory...but I hope you get what  I mean by that...I guess you won't if you've never seen a two line pass...Its also made the game somewhat more dangerous, which coincides with Equipment topic below...

I already gave my 2 cents on the coaches challenge, so I'll move on to equipment...

EQUIPMENT

I'm just old enough to remember the padding we wore in the good ol' 80s. Those leather elbow/shoulder pads certainly weren't as protective as the new molded plastic variety, but they weren't weapons either...Now with the increased speed of the game partly due to missing redline, and padding a Roman gladiator would salivate after...no wonder there's as much injury and concussion as we've seen in recent history...Im not saying there wasn't before, and we certainly understand head trauma more now than ever before...but the speed of the game and gladiator equipment are definitely contributing factors...that should IMO be addressed. I should make mention of goaltender equipment. As a fan, visually I think the recent changes are spot on. I'll give the NHL and the men doning the equipment full marks for that.

Back to the Oilers...

I see a team with the best player I've ever seen weild a hockey stick, with no real identity anymore, but desperately seeking one. I certainly don't agree with probably half of what Chiarelli has done, but I'm not going to rip him here. That's not to say I wouldn't like to see the reigns handed down to Keith, or a fresh face. My guess is that will surely happen without us fans holding pitch forks and torches...IF the Oil don't make the playoffs. 

Im usually the eternal optimist. Almost always trying to find the positive in a player, acquisition or lost season. Except when it's quite clear, the acquisition just can't get it done...I even understand why PC brought in Looch. We were getting man handled all over the rink...It was embarrassing, and this was a player that all of us wanted for his character, leadership and ability to make a difference. It gave the team some swagger, it hadn't had since the likes of Gator, Prongs and Laroque patrolling the ice...Unfortunately the contract as we also knew was horrendous. But Looch came as advertised and provided exactly what he needed to too, physically AND on the score sheet the 1st season. In a way, at the time I saw the deal as Larsson AND Looch for Hall. I thought Hall - even an underperforming Hall with some apparent issues...was a steep price to pay but getting the most skilled enforcer in the game and a top pairing Dman we sorely lacked just reaching his prime...would be for the greater good of this teams push back and identity. I just never thought Looch specifically would only have a shelf life of that 1 storied season...I figured we'd at least get 3 good years out of that contract...Now it sounds like I'm just picking on a player who's had the misfortune of a quickly evolving game passing him by...but really this teams lack of real depth upfront and lack of talent, especially offensively on the blueline has really killed this club, and shaken it's confidence to compete consistently. Unfortunately bad contracts like Looches don't help matters. When your handcuffed, and can't make necessary hockey deals to improve your club, and have only to resort to lateral moves that may or may not pan out...its not an enviable position to be in as management or a fan. Of course Management has put themselves in this situation, so I'm not holding any telethon's for them any time soon...Especially when fans are paying $200 bucks for nosebleeds, while certain other franchises are practically bribing folks into seats...Theres gotta be some happy medium there, but that's a whole other story...as I digress. Going back to my point above, in the good ol' days, players were individuals who had very specific roles on teams that made the group as a whole complete. Now what I see is a lot of individuals playing like individuals, and not as a team. Which couldn't be more true for this group. These teams now are so cookie cutted, and sterilized, it bothers me, as a hockey fan. When Looch was able to effect game, was confident, and other notables were progressing, this club had real swagger and optimism...Unfortunately with the decline of those two aforementioned strengths of this club, so too has the identity of this club been lost...

However I don't think it's all doom and gloom...I think there's been some real improvement for this club in the form of recent draftees and signings playing on the farm...that we haven't seen in years...so of the myriad of deals that went sideways on Chiarelli, he can take solace in that I guess...

Can't wait to see a kid line next year, and hopefully linemates for Nuge that can actually produce...like Ferland and Dzingel...And a top 4 that looks like a top 4. Maybe a whole season of Klefbom...Im just throwing all this out there, hoping the universe will answer my prayers...lol

If you actually read this rant in its entirety ...kudos to you! Thanks for your time. 

Edited by dkers77
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 2

Great post; lots of interesting points and opinions.

For what it's worth, I see the game as having been de-evolved due to its development as a more viable business rather than sport. It's always been a business, sure, but the extent that it pursues the almighty dollar now has hamstrung the ability to present a truly great product on the ice, as a sport itself. Expansion, parity, salary cap issues...etc... prevents any great accumulation of talent on any one or few teams throughout the league, so overall we're left with a more watered-down product that's constantly being tampered with to make it more 'appealing' to more and more new fans to the game, who are in fact more just viable income sources.

Owners have always been business first, but with few exceptions, players are now more motivated by money than pride and/or honor.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, GrooveyAsh said:

For what it's worth, I see the game as having been de-evolved due to its development as a more viable business rather than sport. It's always been a business, sure, but the extent that it pursues the almighty dollar now has hamstrung the ability to present a truly great product on the ice, as a sport itself. Expansion, parity, salary cap issues...etc... prevents any great accumulation of talent on any one or few teams throughout the league, so overall we're left with a more watered-down product that's constantly being tampered with to make it more 'appealing' to more and more new fans to the game, who are in fact more just viable income sources.

Owners have always been business first, but with few exceptions, players are now more motivated by money than pride and/or honor.  

Exactly! Right on the money!

Literally! 

Edited by dkers77

15 minutes ago, original said:

Same train. Same Track. Some new passengers. Same destination.

The Oilers won the lottery - McD lost.

Sad but true...

17 minutes ago, GrooveyAsh said:

More good stuff Groovey. I too agree here.

Great 

59 minutes ago, dkers77 said:

If you actually read this rant in its entirety ...kudos to you! Thanks for your time. 

Great post DKers, I believe Bobby Orr also mentioned the redline (as did Don Cherry) a year or two back as being a detriment to the game. I remember when it was in play, and that coincided with the highest scoring era of our time. Now I do believe the reason why they got rid of it though was the Neutral zone trap that was employed by the Devil's in the late 90's. Because they didn't have to worry about the 'stretch' pass whatsoever Lemaire perfected the one deep two back philosophy and it made the game dreadful to watch as there was zero speed though it was exasperated by the fact that officials (and you made mention of this) were not calling the clutching and grabbing that was occurring in addition to the 'neutral zone trap'. 

I do think that the best way to fix this is to call penalties that are penalties - even from above. A great example would be the Doughty elbow - camera's caught its. So you have an official up above who, once play stops, can radio down to the Official on the ice to call the penalty. Now guys like Doughty have to think twice about those 'cheap shots' because the eye in the sky is watching. It will lead to a lot more penalties early for sure and a lot of frustrated fans (including us) but my biggest fear is if you put the redline back in, then teams will easily be able to nulify McDavid (but Lucic would be relevant again lol). 

Anyway - great read - thanks :) 

• Like 2

Good stuff Dkers. I see everyone liked what he had to say. Give the guy a ‘like’ then  :th_shrug:

Edited by Messrules11
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Good stuff Dkers. I see everyone liked what he had to say. Give the guy a ‘like’ then  :th_shrug:

Happy to oblige.:) I always forget about that "like" button. I've been trying to use it more lately. dkers always posts interesting food for thought. 

4 minutes ago, HappyHappy said:

Happy to oblige.:) I always forget about that "like" button. I've been trying to use it more lately. dkers always posts interesting food for thought. 

Good on you Happy. Seems some guys are afraid to see a higher number beside someone else’s name than their own around here

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

Great 

Great post DKers, I believe Bobby Orr also mentioned the redline (as did Don Cherry) a year or two back as being a detriment to the game. I remember when it was in play, and that coincided with the highest scoring era of our time. Now I do believe the reason why they got rid of it though was the Neutral zone trap that was employed by the Devil's in the late 90's. Because they didn't have to worry about the 'stretch' pass whatsoever Lemaire perfected the one deep two back philosophy and it made the game dreadful to watch as there was zero speed though it was exasperated by the fact that officials (and you made mention of this) were not calling the clutching and grabbing that was occurring in addition to the 'neutral zone trap'. 

I do think that the best way to fix this is to call penalties that are penalties - even from above. A great example would be the Doughty elbow - camera's caught its. So you have an official up above who, once play stops, can radio down to the Official on the ice to call the penalty. Now guys like Doughty have to think twice about those 'cheap shots' because the eye in the sky is watching. It will lead to a lot more penalties early for sure and a lot of frustrated fans (including us) but my biggest fear is if you put the redline back in, then teams will easily be able to nulify McDavid (but Lucic would be relevant again lol). 

Anyway - great read - thanks :) 

Yes, your right about the neutral zone traps deployment ushering in the no red line era we're in...

And I like the idea of a bird's eye official to catch behavior like Doughtys last night...which is ironic since I'm sort of calling for less government...lol, but really like you I just want calls that are actually calls to be made, especially with the league really honing in on head shots. A shot like that last night could of been more dangerous and put a star player out w concussion symptoms...The best player in the game no less...

Doughty should be suspended a game for that shot, to send a msg...

I think with the re-education of players during this no red line phase, with less clutch and grab obstruction should contribute to less clutch and grab than we used to see, should the red line be reintroduced...simply because most of these kids didn't grow up playing clutch and grab red line hockey...like previous generations. That's not to say it won't happen, and between that and the eye in the sky, there would be more calls initially, but ultimately would be better in the long run...

I do disagree however that it would impede McDavid, because he'd still be able to carry end to end ala' Orr, just as he does today...heck our D can't hit him with a pass on the fly over two lines today anyhow...hence why he rushes it himself every chance he gets anyway...but I do agree Lucic would be more useful, and that would be great...lol 

And it may actually help other  depth players to create more of an identifiable role for themselves...

Edited by dkers77

9 minutes ago, dkers77 said:

Yes, your right about the neutral zone traps deployment ushering in the no red line era we're in...

And I like the idea of a bird's eye official to catch behavior like Doughtys last night...which is ironic since I'm sort of calling for less government...lol, but really like you I just want calls that are actually calls to be made, especially with the league really honing in on head shots. A shot like that last night could of been more dangerous and put a star player out w concussion symptoms...The best player in the game no less...

I think with the re-education of players during this no red line phase, with less clutch and grab obstruction should contribute to less clutch and grab than we used to see, should the red line be reintroduced...simply because most of these kids didn't grow up playing clutch and grab red line hockey...like previous generations. That's not to say it won't happen, and between that and the eye in the sky, there would be more calls I initially, but ultimately would be better in the long run...

I do disagree however that it would impede McDavid, because he'd still be able to carry end to end ala' Orr, just as he does today...heck our D can't hit him with a pass on the fly over two lines today anyhow...hence why he rushes it himself every chance he gets anyway...but I do agree Lucic would be more useful, and that would be great...lol 

Too many officials on the ice now it's ruining the game. Connor got hit Boo Hoo it's hockey play the game and let the players sort it out. The fact that the Oiler's are not playing for each other is to bad but for crying out loud there are 4 of them out their and Toronto is watching play the game. I liked that cheap from Doughty why don't the Oiler's have players like that? Drop the puck and play hockey.

22 minutes ago, dkers77 said:

I think with the re-education of players during this no red line phase, with less clutch and grab obstruction should contribute to less clutch and grab than we used to see, should the red line be reintroduced...simply because most of these kids didn't grow up playing clutch and grab red line hockey...like previous generations. That's not to say it won't happen, and between that and the eye in the sky, there would be more calls initially, but ultimately would be better in the long run...

And it may actually help other  depth players to create more of an identifiable role for themselves...

LOL - touche - that is very very true. And it would promote carrying the puck out and yeah, McD does that all the time anyway

1 hour ago, Messrules11 said:

1 hour ago, HappyHappy said:

Yep - I was going to too but posted first then got side tracked - thanks for the reminder Mess - you get a like for that too :)

30 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Too many officials on the ice now it's ruining the game. Connor got hit Boo Hoo it's hockey play the game and let the players sort it out. The fact that the Oiler's are not playing for each other is to bad but for crying out loud there are 4 of them out their and Toronto is watching play the game. I liked that cheap from Doughty why don't the Oiler's have players like that? Drop the puck and play hockey.

Ya, good point that officials are already watching in Toronto. But I do agree with Oilyjetfan that they be used more than regarding specific plays like blatant cheap shots to the head. Like I said, at the very least, they should be reviewing it at least after the game...perhaps they have, I don't know...but I also kind of agree with you in that the players need to police themselves as well, and I said that in my post that started this thread. Massively disappointing that no one gave Doughty the business, except Chiasson a bit...but no Kassian, Looch, etc...Brutal! I'm all for old time physical hockey, and cheap shots like Drew's were always apart of that...unfortunately that seems to be the only reminent of that era that has carried over...due to less hitting, no red line, instigator rule, players that just arent as tough as previous generations, because they havent had to be...everything I mentioned in original post...it all goes hand in hand. Im not saying Drew wasnt smart for doing so and getting away with it, but its classless. Especially given the fact it's McDavid who doesn't cheap shot. It's different when a player who routinely gives cheap shots takes a cheap shot...Thats pretty much expected. Physical hockey, drop the gloves if you need too, no turtling, no diving or pretending you've been shot...and no cheap shots to the head, unless you just got one...That's hockey to me.

Edited by dkers77

3 hours ago, dkers77 said:

I promise I make some good points...

I think there's an inherent disturbance in the force on this club, and has been for some time.

When I see Connor get elbowed, shoved around, and Larsson almost get shoved into his own bench...and no one responds, and opponents don't have to answer for it...this team is broken...and/or the league to some degree for various reasons... 

Where is this train headed..? 

I'm 41, so I've been watching the game for the better part of 30 years. All of which I've cheered for the Oil.

Its not just the Oilers I have issue with at this point, but the game itself...

Which probably started in earnest since the 2017 playoff run, and how it ended. And that's after a decade of suffering through extreme disappointment, as we're all well aware, only to be disappointed again by poor officiating, on and off the ice. And ridiculous rule changes like challenging offsides, when your paying good money to two linesmen to make those calls in real time. If they don't catch it, it's a good goal IMO. This challenge should only be used to challenge goaltender interference...but unfortunately we got shafted there too...

Of course these are examples that resonate with us as Oilers fans, but I'm sure other fans have they're own injustices...

I'm not against rule changes as a whole. Everything evolves to some degree, and changes are sometimes necessary. The athletes themselves have evolved over the years, and perhaps dictate change. But when changes intended to make the game better, make it worse, and nobodys there to hear the tree fall...Is the league not taking a look at all of this..? Do they think everything is great the way it is..? I sometimes wonder..?

OFFICIATING/RULES 

The decision to cut down obstruction, had the right idea in an era that had too much clutching and grabbing. But now we see calls being made if your stick even touches a player, even if it's not impeding the opposing player. Yet we see many other more serious violations not called. Not to mention players immediately selling a supposed violation as soon as they even feel some type of contact. It makes me sick. I don't want to see games decided by chinsy penalty calls any more...

I get how fast the game is, and how hard it is, more than ever to officiate it. More on the games speed below...

And these non - penalties in past eras are now being called because the officials are mandated too...but is this really helping our game..? 

I see stars like Connor obstructed all night long while possessing the puck, and the officials don't call it because we'd have 10 power plays a game...but then call some chinsy hook or supposed hold on a player, just jockeying for position, unclear which player is actually impeding the other, without the puck, no less...That used to be called hockey. 

Instigator rule - otherwise known as I can't come to the defense of my teammate if I think the player in question won't man up to their actions, and drop them, so I have to choose someone who will. And I better be sure they will comply, or I'm really putting my team in a bind, my night is over...and they get away with whatever they want...rule. Now to be clear I'm not saying bring back the 70's. Quite honestly I don't think half this league could play in that era. I don't think they're tough enough...but I think that's a generational thing, and perhaps society has evolved somewhat to the point, that type of aggressive play has been for the most part bred out of these kids...Im just saying the players still need to be able to police themselves to a certain degree...

Removing the red line - huge mistake. At the time I never thought too much about it...I thought let's see how it goes...maybe it'll opens things up a bit. And it did...but it also dumbed the game down so too speak. Now instead of actually having to skate the puck out and make a play, you can just throw it down ice from your own hash marks to a teammate at the opposing blueline to tip it in...or flip the puck rainbow style to a foward for a breakaway...maybe hail mary football fans appreciate this, and perhaps I'm just old school, but this is not as entertaining or thought provoking to me...The other hot button topic regarding the removal is the speed of the game...how it's made the game faster. Some proponents love it. I'm not one of them. I believe all its done, is suck a lot of both team play as a unit and individual play out of the game. Those two terms may seem contradictory...but I hope you get what  I mean by that...I guess you won't if you've never seen a two line pass...Its also made the game somewhat more dangerous, which coincides with Equipment topic below...

I already gave my 2 cents on the coaches challenge, so I'll move on to equipment...

EQUIPMENT

I'm just old enough to remember the padding we wore in the good ol' 80s. Those leather elbow/shoulder pads certainly weren't as protective as the new molded plastic variety, but they weren't weapons either...Now with the increased speed of the game partly due to missing redline, and padding a Roman gladiator would salivate after...no wonder there's as much injury and concussion as we've seen in recent history...Im not saying there wasn't before, and we certainly understand head trauma more now than ever before...but the speed of the game and gladiator equipment are definitely contributing factors...that should IMO be addressed. I should make mention of goaltender equipment. As a fan, visually I think the recent changes are spot on. I'll give the NHL and the men doning the equipment full marks for that.

Back to the Oilers...

I see a team with the best player I've ever seen weild a hockey stick, with no real identity anymore, but desperately seeking one. I certainly don't agree with probably half of what Chiarelli has done, but I'm not going to rip him here. That's not to say I wouldn't like to see the reigns handed down to Keith, or a fresh face. My guess is that will surely happen without us fans holding pitch forks and torches...IF the Oil don't make the playoffs. 

Im usually the eternal optimist. Almost always trying to find the positive in a player, acquisition or lost season. Except when it's quite clear, the acquisition just can't get it done...I even understand why PC brought in Looch. We were getting man handled all over the rink...It was embarrassing, and this was a player that all of us wanted for his character, leadership and ability to make a difference. It gave the team some swagger, it hadn't had since the likes of Gator, Prongs and Laroque patrolling the ice...Unfortunately the contract as we also knew was horrendous. But Looch came as advertised and provided exactly what he needed to too, physically AND on the score sheet the 1st season. In a way, at the time I saw the deal as Larsson AND Looch for Hall. I thought Hall - even an underperforming Hall with some apparent issues...was a steep price to pay but getting the most skilled enforcer in the game and a top pairing Dman we sorely lacked just reaching his prime...would be for the greater good of this teams push back and identity. I just never thought Looch specifically would only have a shelf life of that 1 storied season...I figured we'd at least get 3 good years out of that contract...Now it sounds like I'm just picking on a player who's had the misfortune of a quickly evolving game passing him by...but really this teams lack of real depth upfront and lack of talent, especially offensively on the blueline has really killed this club, and shaken it's confidence to compete consistently. Unfortunately bad contracts like Looches don't help matters. When your handcuffed, and can't make necessary hockey deals to improve your club, and have only to resort to lateral moves that may or may not pan out...its not an enviable position to be in as management or a fan. Of course Management has put themselves in this situation, so I'm not holding any telethon's for them any time soon...Especially when fans are paying $200 bucks for nosebleeds, while certain other franchises are practically bribing folks into seats...Theres gotta be some happy medium there, but that's a whole other story...as I digress. Going back to my point above, in the good ol' days, players were individuals who had very specific roles on teams that made the group as a whole complete. Now what I see is a lot of individuals playing like individuals, and not as a team. Which couldn't be more true for this group. These teams now are so cookie cutted, and sterilized, it bothers me, as a hockey fan. When Looch was able to effect game, was confident, and other notables were progressing, this club had real swagger and optimism...Unfortunately with the decline of those two aforementioned strengths of this club, so too has the identity of this club been lost...

However I don't think it's all doom and gloom...I think there's been some real improvement for this club in the form of recent draftees and signings playing on the farm...that we haven't seen in years...so of the myriad of deals that went sideways on Chiarelli, he can take solace in that I guess...

Can't wait to see a kid line next year, and hopefully linemates for Nuge that can actually produce...like Ferland and Dzingel...And a top 4 that looks like a top 4. Maybe a whole season of Klefbom...Im just throwing all this out there, hoping the universe will answer my prayers...lol

This is OUTSTANDING - Congratulations on this. Your only point that I have to think more about is your position on the elimination of the red line. It did open the game up from the constant trapping by teams. That was like trying to watch a game being played in glue. This game has evolved with the players being bigger, the speed is incredible, more skilled, they are never ever out of shape, they are technically almost perfect. The only thing I feel that would improve our game and eliminate some of the injuries ( particularly concussions) would be to take out the first row of seats in every rink and make the surface larger and more room. The owners of course wouldn't go along with this because of a loss in revenue and it's not their butt out there. We're playing our game in 2019 on an ice surface from the 1920's. 100 years ago. Back then they played with 6 skaters but as the game got faster they cut the extra player out to 5 skaters. Well done on your comments!!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pillotte said:

This is OUTSTANDING - Congratulations on this. Your only point that I have to think more about is your position on the elimination of the red line. It did open the game up from the constant trapping by teams. That was like trying to watch a game being played in glue. This game has evolved with the players being bigger, the speed is incredible, more skilled, they are never ever out of shape, they are technically almost perfect. The only thing I feel that would improve our game and eliminate some of the injuries ( particularly concussions) would be to take out the first row of seats in every rink and make the surface larger and more room. The owners of course wouldn't go along with this because of a loss in revenue and it's not their butt out there. We're playing our game in 2019 on an ice surface from the 1920's. 100 years ago. Back then they played with 6 skaters but as the game got faster they cut the extra player out to 5 skaters. Well done on your comments!!

I agree with removing the center line.  In fact I think they should remove the blue lines as well.  Why end the flow of play because one player is 6 inches ahead of another?  Make it faster and more fluid, get rid of arbitrary lines that tell us that a team is getting some sort of unfair advantage just because a strip of paint is there.  I'm probably an incredible minority here, but that's how I feel.

1 minute ago, bronco73 said:

I agree with removing the center line.  In fact I think they should remove the blue lines as well.  Why end the flow of play because one player is 6 inches ahead of another?  Make it faster and more fluid, get rid of arbitrary lines that tell us that a team is getting some sort of unfair advantage just because a strip of paint is there.  I'm probably an incredible minority here, but that's how I feel.

There you go, then there is no need for linesman and we can get it down to one official to drop the puck Game ON!

3 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

I agree with the chubby Samoan. Let's get rid of the blue lines as well.

30 minutes ago, pillotte said:

I like the increased rink size, I've mentioned that to fellow friends and fans as well over the years...that would certainly help. I also like 4 on 4 idea, instead of increasing rink, but neither I don't imagine will get much support with either the owners, as you mentioned or the NHLPA...

But we can dream I guess...

20 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Get rid of the blulines?? What? So you would be fine with goal-sucking, cuz that’s all there would be. That’s not hockey at all. I mean really, pay McD 12.5M to stand in front of the opposition’s net and call it sport? Haha

3 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Get rid of the blulines?? What? So you would be fine with goal-sucking, cuz that’s all there would be. That’s not hockey at all. I mean really, pay McD 12.5M to stand in front of the opposition’s net and call it sport? Haha

Oh we don't have goalsucking now?  sorry I wasn't aware of that.  carry on.

5 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Yikes. Im with you Mess...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but getting rid of all the lines is crazy talk. 

• Like 1

Just now, bronco73 said:

Oh we don't have goalsucking now?  sorry I wasn't aware of that.  carry on.

Not to that extent. Pulling the bluelines out isn’t sport, what about icing? There’s a million things wrong with your idea...It’s the death of hockey right there.

1 minute ago, dkers77 said:

Yikes. Im with you Mess...

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but getting rid of all the lines is crazy talk. 

honestly if we had a single offside line... like maybe get rid of the two bluelines and keep center as your offside line?   And if we were to enlarge our ice surface to international size then I wouldn't care if we didn't change lines either.  I just think that the game is so fast now that the lines are too limiting for today's players. 

1 minute ago, Messrules11 said:

Not to that extent. Pulling the bluelines out isn’t sport, what about icing? There’s a million things wrong with your idea...It’s the death of hockey right there.

Well I did say I was in the extreme minority lol. 

My ultimate preference is to enlarge the ice surface to be in line with international ice, that gives skaters the room to move and makes the blue line and center line less of a nuisance

6 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Gretz hung around center ice you know what I mean.

Exactly...center ice bud. Because the red line was active and a two line pass wasn't legal...

That's the era Gretz played in...

Not standing at the opposing blue line like today, and certainly not at the opposing team's net, if you got rid of all the lines...lol

7 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

honestly if we had a single offside line... like maybe get rid of the two bluelines and keep center as your offside line?   And if we were to enlarge our ice surface to international size then I wouldn't care if we didn't change lines either.  I just think that the game is so fast now that the lines are too limiting for today's players. 

Well I did say I was in the extreme minority lol. 

My ultimate preference is to enlarge the ice surface to be in line with international ice, that gives skaters the room to move and makes the blue line and center line less of a nuisance

Well we’re certainly at opposites on that too. I remember the old Boston Garden and the Auditorium in Buffalo as among the greatest venues of all-time. If Orr could set all those records with all 3 lines and a smaller ice surface then what’s wrong with today’s modern ‘athletes’