The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
RapierShot

GDT: FLORIDA PANTHERS @ OILERS; THURSDAY JAN 10 @ 7 PM; SNW

Just now, kman23 said:

yes after i read your comment i heard Doug McLean address it on sportsnet in between the 1st and 2nd period I believe it was.  He figures B will be kept until the end of the season but he won't resign; his contract is up at the end of this season. It would be nice to help Columbus out of their situation.  

The only problem is if he were to wait until offseason AND we are fortunate enough to sign him, he'd have to take a cut because we couldn't afford the cap.  Plus if the cap hit is close to what he is at now, we'd have to lose both our goaltenders somehow and still be taking on more cap

4 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Pretty sure it was Larsson, the game announcers said as much as well. 

Oh okay. Disregard last then! Also since when do the Oilers look good and score with an empty net? 

15 minutes ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Is the answer because he isn't a good NHL goalie, never mind a #1?    Do I get a prize if that is the correct answer?

To be honest, I was just as concerned about the first one he let in...……..I have lost count of how many goals he lets get past him from a 45 degree or less angle.

It feels like every other team has a player with a good a shot as Ovechkin...…..but they don't. 🙄

Hey. Still waiting for the SJ thread answer. When you are man enough to answer that we will talk.

Many of us have been here a while, appreciate those who can respond with intelligence. Those that don't will not last or will continue to chat without respect from others ( see El CID). You choose which one you want to be.

Edited by Yuke

1 minute ago, TeamEllis said:

Oh okay. Disregard last then! Also since when do the Oilers look good and score with an empty net? 

haha yup that's about as rare as a flying pig.  I mean there's almost always goals scored of course, but they are usually into our net lol!

4 minutes ago, kman23 said:

This game didn't live up to what I anticipated.  Oh well, good for our boys to come back and win it.  That will help in the points and confidence columns. 

I don't know when our boys will play desperate, but it sure wasn't tonite.  

Remember, we play garbage against bottom feeders....me i wasnt surprised....:th_shrug:

10 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Pretty sure it was Larsson, the game announcers said as much as well. 

Double deflection 

Hey hey. We got a win and are still sniffing playoffs. I would have been happy with that at the beginning of the year.

Go Oilers, Neigh slayers- Flames need fans.

1 minute ago, TeamEllis said:

Get a room you two. ;)

It is booked, counter guy said you and El CID have booked it

2 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Hey hey. We got a win and are still sniffing playoffs. I would have been happy with that at the beginning of the year.

Go Oilers, Neigh slayers- Flames need fans.

It is booked, counter guy said you and El CID have booked it

He’s onto us El Cid. 😱

Ken Hitchcock put things more into perspective for me.  Makes sense.  Sometimes they aren't laying an egg, sometimes they really do have reasons for looking slow:

Edited by bronco73

2 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Ken Hitchcock put things more into perspective for me.  Makes sense.  Sometimes they aren't laying an egg, sometimes they really do have reasons for mediocre play:

That’s good to hear. The Oilers sure turned it on in the 3rd period though for having nothing left in the tank. 

6 hours ago, TeamEllis said:

That’s good to hear. The Oilers sure turned it on in the 3rd period though for having nothing left in the tank. 

Sounds kinda Koolaid-y to me. These are professional athletes in peak physical condition. He makes their travel day sound like they just came off the Bataan Death March. 

12 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Ken Hitchcock put things more into perspective for me.  Makes sense.  Sometimes they aren't laying an egg, sometimes they really do have reasons for looking slow:

I dont get why teams today practice practically "everyday". Why work them like mules and wonder why they look slow with no energy?....Im sure in the old days it wasnt like that.  Maybe if teams had less morning skates and more time for the body to rest and recover, maybe games would be much faster and more entertaining, probably with less injuries too?...Sounds like common sense to me!.....If I was coach, I would use "rest" of my players to my advantage!....:th_shrug:

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

3 hours ago, GrooveyAsh said:

Sounds kinda Koolaid-y to me. These are professional athletes in peak physical condition. He makes their travel day sound like they just came off the Bataan Death March. 

Well possibly but I think he's more eluding to the Nurse's, Larsson's, McDavid's, and Draisaitl's of the team. Playing 28 to 32 minutes in a game, especially for forwards, is crazy. Dmen can do it because they can literally take shifts off. By that I mean they just need to play back and not let anyone get deep and if on a shift the forwards are buzzing they can make like soccer players when the ball isn't near them - hold their position and float around out there. If we (we won't) to make the playoffs, we'd be blown out four straight as our top players will be exhausted and the rest well, are the rest. 

9 hours ago, bronco73 said:

The only problem is if he were to wait until offseason AND we are fortunate enough to sign him, he'd have to take a cut because we couldn't afford the cap.  Plus if the cap hit is close to what he is at now, we'd have to lose both our goaltenders somehow and still be taking on more cap

Yep - and I don't know what going on there but Bob is reminding me a little bit of Bryzgalov right now. He too was a  great goalie (not the success of Bob but he was on that path) and he's still being paid lol  - not to play

9 hours ago, Yuke said:

Hey. Still waiting for the SJ thread answer. When you are man enough to answer that we will talk.

Many of us have been here a while, appreciate those who can respond with intelligence. Those that don't will not last or will continue to chat without respect from others ( see El CID). You choose which one you want to be.

I'll say this about Talbot - we were outplayed and outshot badly from what I could see between the flashing (I'm still suffering epileptic seizures from that lol) but all goalies let in bad goals - not every game but it happens. What I watch for is what they do after a bad one gets in. Kos has been folding in completely when he lets a bad one in, Talbot fought through it yesterday from what I've read and heard, which is good. So I give credit where credit is due but overall, Talbot has not been good (consistent) enough for my liking. We still need a true #1 goalie. 

3 hours ago, GrooveyAsh said:

4 games in 6 nights on the road. Game over at 10:30 -  on the bus to the airport at midnite. Arrive at destination and into bed at 3am. Up at 9:00am for breakfast team meeting and pregame skate back to hotel for a pregame meal  and a pregame nap. On the bus to the rink  by 4:00 pm. Game time 7:00pm Then do it all over again. Physical conditioning has absolutely nothing to do with what Hitch was referring to. It is mental tiredness as well as a body that overall is just plain tired. The western teams have a distinct disadvantage with the distances between cities. 

1 hour ago, OilyJetFan said:

Well possibly but I think he's more eluding to the Nurse's, Larsson's, McDavid's, and Draisaitl's of the team. Playing 28 to 32 minutes in a game, especially for forwards, is crazy. Dmen can do it because they can literally take shifts off. By that I mean they just need to play back and not let anyone get deep and if on a shift the forwards are buzzing they can make like soccer players when the ball isn't near them - hold their position and float around out there. If we (we won't) to make the playoffs, we'd be blown out four straight as our top players will be exhausted and the rest well, are the rest. 

Point taken, but it seemed like he was glazing over the fact that the team 'didn't have their best game' with the 'nothing left in the tank' excuse. I guess he's got to keep things positive and I get that, but it just seemed a little like spin to me... maybe I'm just being paranoid that Hitch is becoming overcome by the influence of the Dark Overlords... heh

5 minutes ago, pillotte said:

4 games in 6 nights on the road. Game over at 10:30 -  on the bus to the airport at midnite. Arrive at destination and into bed at 3am. Up at 9:00am for breakfast team meeting and pregame skate back to hotel for a pregame meal  and a pregame nap. On the bus to the rink  by 4:00 pm. Game time 7:00pm Then do it all over again. Physical conditioning has absolutely nothing to do with what Hitch was referring to. It is mental tiredness as well as a body that overall is just plain tired. The western teams have a distinct disadvantage with the distances between cities. 

I get all that, but this isn't the first time or last time such scheduling will happen to them or as you mentioned, other teams, especially western ones. Being tired is one thing, but 'nothing left in the tank'? C'mon...

1 hour ago, GrooveyAsh said:

I get all that, but this isn't the first time or last time such scheduling will happen to them or as you mentioned, other teams, especially western ones. Being tired is one thing, but 'nothing left in the tank'? C'mon...

The Oilers usually come back from a road trip like that and completely  lay an egg . That's kind of what I was expecting.   If it wasn't for McDavid taking the team on his shoulders I suspect that's probably would have happened. 

Edited by billpayor

Hitch is going to have to rethink the Caleb Jones situation.  Too many minutes and he's picking WAY too many pucks out of his net.

It isn't good for his confidence nor development nor for the team.   

13 minutes ago, RofRickster said:

Hitch is going to have to rethink the Caleb Jones situation.  Too many minutes and he's picking WAY too many pucks out of his net.

It isn't good for his confidence nor development nor for the team.   

Once klef is back he can play on the bottom paring with Gravel. 

Edited by TeamEllis

13 hours ago, Yuke said:

Who appointed you as judge and jury to decide who is man enough and who isn't?    You think way too much of yourself, that is plain to see, and I am not on my own on here judging by other responses to your "fountain of knowledge opinions" you post on here.   If you have a question to ask of me, ask it, I ain't scrolling through thread after thread just to satisfy you.

Here is a question for you although we all know on here that you never actually answer any yourself...……..why is it that Talbot consistently and repeatedly gets beat from fairly acute angles and often from players not of the highest skill level?

I don't expect an answer from you, but we can all live in hope.

Hope that response was intelligent enough for you, if not, guess what, I don't care 😎

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Blackhawk216 said:

Who appointed you as judge and jury to decide who is man enough and who isn't?    You think way too much of yourself, that is plain to see, and I am not on my own on here judging by other responses to your "fountain of knowledge opinions" you post on here.   If you have a question to ask of me, ask it, I ain't scrolling through thread after thread just to satisfy you.

Here is a question for you although we all know on here that you never actually answer any yourself...……..why is it that Talbot consistently and repeatedly gets beat from fairly acute angles and often from players not of the highest skill level?

Hope that response was intelligent enough for you, if not, guess what, I don't care 😎

"Ptff - ptff"....👏

👊😎

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blackhawk216 said:

It was rude, I apologize. I am actually surprised that nobody jumped on me for that.

You threw out a comment about a Goalie stat to try and prove a point. I challenged you on it and it offended you. I'm guessing you don't like to be challenged.

There are guys on here that piss people off but do their research (I am part of this group). Spats happen between us but we generally respect each other. Everyone does their own judging.

-Now, Talbot got beat on the first goal because he was not in position. And it happens to often. He needs to be better. As OJF said above, Cam battled back very well. 

Blackhawk, Why did Talbot start yesterday?

Both goalies need to be better.

Edited by Yuke
  • Heart Eyes 1

HItch's problem is that if he doesn't play his top guys too many minutes, his team has minimal chance to win.  This of course is cumulative, and I wouldn't doubt that maybe his guys were up against it physically last night.  Also, being outed as vastly inferior to a team like the Sharks two days ago wouldn't help put a jump in anyone's stride.  

59 minutes ago, TeamEllis said:

So does Talbot get the start against Arizona? Or do you play Koskinen who played well against Arizona last time. 

I say split the time.  Go with Koskinen against the yotes.

2 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

I say split the time.  Go with Koskinen against the yotes.

Talbot won, play him before he forgets to find his way to the rink. Talbot is trending upwards he could possibly garner a 4th round pick now.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.