The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Coffey2Gretzky

Can we go 10 - 0?

I believe we can with the teams we're facing,  starting with the Panthers...All winnable games imo......Good time to make an undefeated run of our own...If there was a stretch of games which can really make a difference in our playoff hopes, this is it!....If we can accomplish our goal , we should be sitting nicely in a playoff position.... .:th_hockey20player:

vs Florida ✔

vs Coyotes

vs Sabres

vs Canucks

vs Flames

vs Hurricanes

vs Red Wings

vs Flyers

vs Canadiens

vs Black Hawks

:th_hockey20player:I will update the progress of the games, and this thread, as it occurs.

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

If the remaing season is considered as a whole, we likely need to win around 60% to 65% of the games to have a serious chance at playoffs.

Well .... it is about the easiest 10 game stretch this season (outside of the Flames game - which is a rival).

If they aren't in a playoff position with a healthy margin by the end of these 10 games ...... they aren't a playoff team.  You have to be able to beat non-playoff teams, to be a play-off team.

Exciting times ..... or .... frustrating ones.

50 minutes ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

I believe we can with the teams we're facing,  starting with the Panthers...All winnable games imo......Good time to make an undefeated run of our own...If there was a stretch of games which can really make a difference in our playoff hopes, this is it!....If we can accomplish our goal , we should be sitting nicely in a playoff position.... .:th_hockey20player:

vs Florida ✔

vs Coyotes

vs Sabres

vs Canucks

vs Flames

vs Hurricanes

vs Red Wings

vs Flyers

vs Canadiens

vs Black Hawks

:th_hockey20player:I will update the progress of the games, and this thread, as it occurs.

Keyboard a little sticky? That should read 3-10 No?

9 minutes ago, El Cid said:

Keyboard a little sticky? That should read 3-10 No?

I guess it could... if you can't count that is.

18 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Well .... it is about the easiest 10 game stretch this season (outside of the Flames game - which is a rival).

If they aren't in a playoff position with a healthy margin by the end of these 10 games ...... they aren't a playoff team.  You have to be able to beat non-playoff teams, to be a play-off team.

Exciting times ..... or .... frustrating ones.

The Calgary game is in "our" barn though....Gots to count for something....😎

Just now, Coffey2Gretzky said:

The Calgary game is in "our" barn though....Gots to count for something....😎

As "a rival"ry game .... no matter where it is, it will always be in contention.  Neither team can win it simply by being there and going through the motions.  10-0 is possible ... yet highly improbable, considering the .500 nature of this year's club.

on the rivalry...  I think home team advantage counts for absolutely nothing.  If it's a true rivalry the players take as much pride in destroying a team on their turf as they do in their own building or even more.  Stick it to them AND their fans.  That's a real rivalry.

2 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

10-0 is possible ... yet highly improbable, considering the .500 nature of this year's club.

Yup...Hoping for Hope!...:th_scared:

2 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

on the rivalry...  I think home team advantage counts for absolutely nothing.  If it's a true rivalry the players take as much pride in destroying a team on their turf as they do in their own building or even more.  Stick it to them AND their fans.  That's a real rivalry.

With Klefbom in the lineup, i like our chances....😎

1 minute ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

Yup...Hoping for Hope!...:th_scared:

Good on Ya.

Me ... I've seen this club go .500 in tough stretches of games this year, and .500 in easy stretches.

Just under .500 with TM

Just over .500 with KH

.500 is their nature ...... with a playoff cutoff possibly in the 84-86 point range in the West this year ..... .500 just gets that much more frustrating.  .500 usually is good enough for bottom 5 teams in the league ... this year, it will be JUST out of the playoffs.

and we've seen this team play so well against top teams only to lose by 1 then lay a complete egg and get blown out against teams below them.  I agree it's possible... but extremely unlikely.

1 hour ago, RapierShot said:

If the remaing season is considered as a whole, we likely need to win around 60% to 65% of the games to have a serious chance at playoffs.

This chart assumes 88 points to get in, a bit low imo, but 

• 144565237_50Percent.png.e04ec65d742ee23e
  • 420since1974
  • 1,672 posts

well looks like this thread can be put to rest after the first game.  Maybe start one that asks if we can go 9-1...  I bet this team can do that.... NOT.

47 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

well looks like this thread can be put to rest after the first game.  Maybe start one that asks if we can go 9-1...  I bet this team can do that.... NOT.

:th_shock:....Broncs, its suppose to say  "9 n 1" !....Can you edit it please....:th_scared:

Just now, Coffey2Gretzky said:

:th_shock:....Broncs, its suppose to say  "9 n 1" !....Can you edit it please....:th_scared:

haha no... you have to eat this biscuit lol!!!  ;)

21 hours ago, Coffey2Gretzky said:

vs Florida ☑️

vs Coyotes❎

vs Sabres

vs Canucks

vs Flames

vs Hurricanes

vs Red Wings

vs Flyers

vs Canadiens

vs Black Hawks

9-1?

Though I do agree they are all winable, but I can also see them losing the next five. I'd be ok with going 7-3, losing to the Coyotes, Sabres, and Flames. They're in the hunt which I'm fine with.

Yeah, no playoffs again this year. They'd need at least 45 points in the remaining 37 games, which is highly unlikely to happen. I don't see any catalyst that would spring the team up other than getting Klefbom back eventually. The recent losses to Vancouver (2x), LA and Arizona have been very sobering.  

It's kinda funny how we start with a rather overly optimistic "can we go 10-0" and a single game later we've lost all hope to even make the playoffs.  Air came outa that balloon quite quickly.....

2 hours ago, RofRickster said:

It's kinda funny how we start with a rather overly optimistic "can we go 10-0" and a single game later we've lost all hope to even make the playoffs.  Air came outa that balloon quite quickly.....

The air came out that pretty quickly because Chiarelli traded the balloon for a used paper bag. He explained that "the bag has a strong bottom to carry things and if you poke a paper bag with a needle it won't explode like a balloon would."He went on to explain that other that "other teams were looking at the used paper bag" so that's why he had to throw in the draft pick.

Edited by mrtea