The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
bronco73

Andrej Sekera: Buyout (topics merged)

1 minute ago, Yuke said:

More of a cap management issue IMO. They could not afford a Sekera replacement.

So you are saying it sounds more like an organization that has a problem with SCOUTING a Sekera replacement, MANAGING their cap, and BUILDING an affordable but good team?

brocomud.JPG

Huge Thank-You to UnrefinedCrude for this awesome signature!

4 minutes ago, Yuke said:

More of a cap management issue IMO. They could not afford a Sekera replacement. Cash wise or draft pick wise

They finished last season with 8 million in Cap Space ..... they had a JP that still had a value .... they did have draft picks for both 2018 and 2019 to use ... they are paying about 4.1 million to defenders to NOT play on the Oilers right now.

I disagree with your assessment of the situation.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

41 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

This.  The entire organization is failing.  This PROVES it's bad scouting, it's bad managing, it's bad team building. 

One step above these aspects, that affects all 3, is poor planning. 

Bob hires Chia without doing any other interviews; Chia trades for Reinhart based on the advice of 2 guys who hadn't watched him in over a year, etc.

They act in a reactionary way.  Its like gambling - they must feel incredible when it pays off (payoff run a few years back), but they have no idea what to do when they come up craps and have to leave the table.  Do they change their ways, or just head back to the ATM to max out their line of credit?  And when that fails, they go home broke, to the most loyal spouse they could ever hope to get, ignoring her pleas to change.  Too busy blaming the loss on some guy named Rider who didn't throw the dice right.

They should have a plan to replace *every* player on the roster at a given time - injuries can happen.

They should have a plan on the exact type of player they need, and tell their scouts to focus on that type of player; not just look for guys that seem 'good'.

They need an actual plan, not just a random timeframe and a wishlist.  Specific goals to be carried out by a specific time.  Specific consequences if goals are not met.

• Like 1

fantyleaguecupbgnocchi_zpsd26307cf.png

Credits to UnrefinedCrude for the signature.  Big thanks!

38 minutes ago, nocchi said:

One step above these aspects, that affects all 3, is poor planning. 

Bob hires Chia without doing any other interviews; Chia trades for Reinhart based on the advice of 2 guys who hadn't watched him in over a year, etc.

They act in a reactionary way.  Its like gambling - they must feel incredible when it pays off (payoff run a few years back), but they have no idea what to do when they come up craps and have to leave the table.  Do they change their ways, or just head back to the ATM to max out their line of credit?  And when that fails, they go home broke, to the most loyal spouse they could ever hope to get, ignoring her pleas to change.  Too busy blaming the loss on some guy named Rider who didn't throw the dice right.

They should have a plan to replace *every* player on the roster at a given time - injuries can happen.

They should have a plan on the exact type of player they need, and tell their scouts to focus on that type of player; not just look for guys that seem 'good'.

They need an actual plan, not just a random timeframe and a wishlist.  Specific goals to be carried out by a specific time.  Specific consequences if goals are not met.

For that, it takes individuals who understand that the teams that ARE winning, aren't winning simply because of good luck.  

Humility is lacking throughout the entire group of decision makers.  They simply don't get that THEY are the ones that have been making ALL of the mistakes.

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

2 hours ago, DeutchOil said:

They finished last season with 8 million in Cap Space ..... they had a JP that still had a value .... they did have draft picks for both 2018 and 2019 to use ... they are paying about 4.1 million to defenders to NOT play on the Oilers right now.

I disagree with your assessment of the situation.

And no one in the system. Do you want a winning team for a year or two or a franchise with a history of winning

3 hours ago, Yuke said:

More of a cap management issue IMO. They could not afford a Sekera replacement. Cash wise or draft pick wise

The first year the could easy, the second year (this year) no you're right they couldn't. 

5 minutes ago, OilyJetFan said:

The first year the could easy, the second year (this year) no you're right they couldn't. 

That makes it ALL on managemenet, since they aren't on the hook for Sekera while he's on LTIR.  They are permetted to exceed the teams total cap hit by the the amount of the players contracted salary who is on IR.  Therefore, it's even more on them since they didn't do it in the first place.

brocomud.JPG

1 hour ago, bronco73 said:

That makes it ALL on managemenet, since they aren't on the hook for Sekera while he's on LTIR.  They are permetted to exceed the teams total cap hit by the the amount of the players contracted salary who is on IR.  Therefore, it's even more on them since they didn't do it in the first place.

I think Sekera counts on the first day, then his salary becomes available until he comes back

51 minutes ago, Yuke said:

I think Sekera counts on the first day, then his salary becomes available until he comes back

I believe his salary remains on the books but the rules allow for the team to exceed the league cap by the players cap hit.  (splitting hairs I know, but that's how I read it)

brocomud.JPG

3 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Oh agreed 1000%. I can't stand this current management and that's head by Bobby Nicks. He allowed all this to happen on his watch, while he was literally oblivious to all that was going on. This is why i'm on my own campaign to see this guy gone. I shudder to think he's hiring our new GM first before he goes but who knows, maybe we'll get lucky. I still have the sinking feeling he'll be incapable of doing it, i.e after all all his interviews Keith Gretzky will be named the new full time GM. I wonder if Ken Hitchcock takes over for Bobby Nicks at season's end and he hires the GM? 

4 hours ago, Yuke said:

And no one in the system. Do you want a winning team for a year or two or a franchise with a history of winning

How is using JP and a single 2019 draft pick leaving "no one in the system"? .... other than Bouchard, what draft pick from last season has so much value that it wouldn't have been worth using to acquire a decent middle pairing defender so that the last two years of McDavid wouldn't have been a complete waste?  And who says that defender, had we acquired him, would have been GONE after a year or two?  How about acquiring players the team hopes to keep for a change?

Give your head a shake

Our future is right now .. it's called McDavid ... if we have to wait for 3-5 years for our "future" to play with him, our future will be gone.

Edited by DeutchOil

3 hours ago, OilyJetFan said:

Had we acquired one in the first year .... we had all kinds of time to make it work for this year .... maybe start by NOT buying out Gryba, NOT giving Benning a 100% raise, NOT signing Rieder, NOT trading Strome for a 3.1 miilion AHLer, NOT throwing an extra 30% at Caggiula, NOT signing Jerabek and Garrison ....and then continue by NOT acquiring Manning and Petrovich.

Edited by DeutchOil
  • Like 1

On 3/30/2019 at 10:58 AM, DeutchOil said:

Auvitu, Gryba, Davidson, Jerebek, Garrison, Gravel, Wideman, Petrovich, Manning ....

How bad does your player skill evaluation have to be to get it THAT wrong THAT many times in a row?  Not a single defender there that could crack a single NHL roster and stick.  If you include Keegan Lowe on that list as defenders used in Sekera's absence .... just how much "speedbagging" is necessary becomes more evident.  If there ever was a case for the ethics of water boarding ... this might be it.  But to get it that wrong that many times .... it takes a whole staff of idiots.

agreed; totally pathetic , and actually surprising in a way;  even a blind squirrel finds a nut sometimes.   

HONEST !   A nybody  B ut  E dmonton

in pursuit of the McDraft sweepstakes...

injuries killed his career here.  Too bad because there was a time where he was unquestionably our best defender.  Saves us some good cap room.  I have a feeling that a D or two have impressed at the development camp, either that or there is a big free agent defenseman signing coming up tomorrow, so it makes Sekera expendable.  Here is his buyout breakdown:

425126c80375de3bd1bf7c124842d0ab.png

Edited by bronco73

brocomud.JPG

5 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Not sure I like this. How much does this cost yearly going forward? 

2019/20: 2.5M

2020/21: 2.5M

2021/22: 1.5M

2022/23: 1.5M

17 minutes ago, MountainTi said:

On waivers? Now that's a head scratcher

yup.  something else must be coming

brocomud.JPG

Just posted the buyout options and how it would be better to trade and retain salary. This end up costing us, save a bit now but cost us for in two year for two years. I understand cap should rise quite a bit in 2021 but you can't be sure of that.

Jones is ready to play. Report are saying Connelly and Donskoi are probably out of the mix. As said all along I believe the target is Mcelhinney, Canes just got Reimer, Darling to the Pats for the purpose of buyout. Darling could be another cheap option.

19 minutes ago, MountainTi said:

On waivers? Now that's a head scratcher

His NMV/NTC must have limited all trade options. Do not like it initially, like Bronco says, must be something else coming that we need the cap space for

it's also very possible that they are not impressed at all with his rehab and have come to the conclusion that he just will never regain his abilities.  Either way, for the last two seasons we've paid dearly for a defender that we couldn't use.  Nicholson has said many times that he'd prefer to keep Sekera, so something very important must have changed his mind.  My money is still on a UFA signing announcement coming tomorrow.

brocomud.JPG

2 minutes ago, WindsorOiler said:

Just posted the buyout options and how it would be better to trade and retain salary. This end up costing us, save a bit now but cost us for in two year for two years. I understand cap should rise quite a bit in 2021 but you can't be sure of that.

Jones is ready to play. Report are saying Connelly and Donskoi are probably out of the mix. As said all along I believe the target is Mcelhinney, Canes just got Reimer, Darling to the Pats for the purpose of buyout. Darling could be another cheap option.

I like McElhinney too . Mrazek is younger so they would have to pay more . But in the short term McElhinney would be just as good .

1 minute ago, bronco73 said:

it's also very possible that they are not impressed at all with his rehab and have come to the conclusion that he just will never regain his abilities.  Either way, for the last two seasons we've paid dearly for a defender that we couldn't use.  Nicholson has said many times that he'd prefer to keep Sekera, so something very important must have changed his mind.  My money is still on a UFA signing announcement coming tomorrow.

Holland is running the show . Nicholson has no input .

Just now, billpayor said:

I like McElhinney too . Mrazek is younger so they would have to pay more . But in the short term McElhinney would be just as good .

Mcelhinney, be nice to get Dzingel or Nyquist but prob not.

Connelly and Mrazek are probably 4 + mil each. A tad expensive since we have multiple needs.

Haas is rumored to be coming. Nothing else sexy so far.

6 minutes ago, WindsorOiler said:

Mcelhenney makes sense since Carolina just acquired Reimer from Florida for Darling, and will be going with Mrazek/Reimer combo.

brocomud.JPG

Just now, WindsorOiler said:

Mcelhinney, be nice to get Dzingel or Nyquist but prob not.

Connelly and Mrazek are probably 4 + mil each. A tad expensive since we have multiple needs.

Haas is rumored to be coming. Nothing else sexy so far.

Boyle too has been mentioned . it's going to be interesting to see what happens in the next day or two .

3 minutes ago, billpayor said:

Holland is running the show . Nicholson has no input .

thanks for that tidbit billpayor, I'd have never guessed.    Nicholson said those comments BEFORE Holland came here.

Edited by bronco73

brocomud.JPG