The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

Last night was a dis heartening one. The oilers lost again and the fans who have been so loyal throughout the season are starting to lose their edge. Two jerseys were thrown onto the ice a deja vu for the oilers team. Cam Talbot was Clearly upset about being pulled and the mess that Chiarelli has left behind seems to be tearing apart the Oilers season. I remember buying my jersey on Boxing day. I've only taken it off to sleep and wash. I cannot be mad at the angry fans who tossed their jersey's. It's their money and they can do what they like. So everybody should shut their mouths about it. I've seen a great many oilers fans jump off the wagon and choose another team. It's very sad to see them do this just because they're embarrassed to be wearing an Oilers jersey. One started wearing a Flames jersey the next week. Another hopped on to the Vegas bandwagon. I don't think you should be an oilers fan just because they WERE good. So anybody who decides to do this shouldn't say they were an oilers fan in the first place. WE all hope the oilers can fix this mess. So LET'S GO OILERS. Don't start another ten year drought. You are already the laughing stock of the league.  I remember wearing an Oilers jersey to the west ed mall back in 2015. A boy wearing a flames jersey said I was wearing the wrong jersey. Well after that I never took it off for the rest of the trip (Two days there). I proud to be a fan.     

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Edroot said:

Last night was a dis heartening one. The oilers lost again and the fans who have been so loyal throughout the season are starting to lose their edge. Two jerseys were thrown onto the ice a deja vu for the oilers team. Cam Talbot was Clearly upset about being pulled and the mess that Chiarelli has left behind seems to be tearing apart the Oilers season. I remember buying my jersey on Boxing day. I've only taken it off to sleep and wash. I cannot be mad at the angry fans who tossed their jersey's. It's their money and they can do what they like. So everybody should shut their mouths about it. I've seen a great many oilers fans jump off the wagon and choose another team. It's very sad to see them do this just because they're embarrassed to be wearing an Oilers jersey. One started wearing a Flames jersey the next week. Another hopped on to the Vegas bandwagon. I don't think you should be an oilers fan just because they WERE good. So anybody who decides to do this shouldn't say they were an oilers fan in the first place. WE all hope the oilers can fix this mess. So LET'S GO OILERS. Don't start another ten year drought. You are already the laughing stock of the league.  I remember wearing an Oilers jersey to the west ed mall back in 2015. A boy wearing a flames jersey said I was wearing the wrong jersey. Well after that I never took it off for the rest of the trip (Two days there). I proud to be a fan.     

I very proud to be a fan

11 minutes ago, Edroot said:

I very proud to be a fan

Why are you quoting yourself?  To try to convince yourself that you’re proud to be a fan through this absolute failure of the last 12 years, and soon to be the next 5+ years?

Trying to defend this abomination at this point is not pride, it would be stupidity.  This management and lack of effort and care from the players up to the Red Wine Club SUCKS.  That’s all there is to it.  We are the laughing stock of professional sports as a whole, and that started a few years back.  

Unless you have been enjoying this losing culture night in and night out, and the absolute worst track records in managerial history at the wheel, then you should be very proud.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Why are you quoting yourself?  To try to convince yourself that you’re proud to be a fan through this absolute failure of the last 12 years, and soon to be the next 5+ years?

Trying to defend this abomination at this point is not pride, it would be stupidity.  This management and lack of effort and care from the players up to the Red Wine Club SUCKS.  That’s all there is to it.  We are the laughing stock of professional sports as a whole, and that started a few years back.  

Unless you have been enjoying this losing culture night in and night out, and the absolute worst track records in managerial history at the wheel, then you should be very proud.

He's not defending the organization.  He's defending his right to be a fan of the team, and I agree with him.  Nobody is forcing you, I, or anybody else to be a fan, and nobody is stopping you from finding a new team to cheer for.  If you did, nobody should chastise you for it, just like nobody should chastise Edroot for being a proud Oiler fan.

• Like 2

I’m still in it for the Oil. But I will be torn tomorrow night when Hendo lines up against us. Love that guy. If they want high character and someone who won’t quit on the ice, then bring back Matt Hendricks. 

<hold for applause, then step off the stage>

:ph34r:

• Thanks 1

Today on the radio there going off about the jersey toss and how that person should not be allowed in the building again.... A fan should have the option to voice displeasure as they are a paying customer. This isn't a flag it is the uniform of a mismanaged team that has failed for 12 years.

if this owner keeps it up he can stock his bathroom stalls with the thrown jersey's and fans can have a good wipe.

3 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

I feel sorry for you, (not really). But I think you need a hug

Hahaha yeah, re-reading that sounds like I’m a giant a-hole and it’s all directed at Edroot, but it’s not.  I was just generalizing and ranting because of this team, that I loved, making me so p/o’d.  Anyways, all is still true, they are terrible as everyone knows already and I don’t want or need a hug but thanks for the offer ❌.  Save all your hugs for McD when he demands out of this poop shoot in ~2 years.

/rant.

35 minutes ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Hahaha yeah, re-reading that sounds like I’m a giant a-hole and it’s all directed at Edroot, but it’s not.  I was just generalizing and ranting because of this team, that I loved, making me so p/o’d.  Anyways, all is still true, they are terrible as everyone knows already and I don’t want or need a hug but thanks for the offer ❌.  Save all your hugs for McD when he demands out of this poop shoot in ~2 years.

/rant.

well you are definitely right to rant.  We all were last night and today for sure.  It's extremely frustrating, and there is literally no excuse to have a team this bad for this long.  I'm going to rant, I'm going to complain, I'm going to scream from the rooftops for heads to roll.... but I am still going to proudly cheer for this team.

14 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

well you are definitely right to rant.  We all were last night and today for sure.  It's extremely frustrating, and there is literally no excuse to have a team this bad for this long.  I'm going to rant, I'm going to complain, I'm going to scream from the rooftops for heads to roll.... but I am still going to proudly cheer for this team.

Exactly... I, unfortunately at this point, will continue to do the same.  As much as I want to throw in the towel, I just can’t.  And on top of it all, having Habs, Flames, and Canucks fans I know and have to talk to on an almost daily basis doesn’t help anything, lol.

I used to think a Meteorologist was the only position you could be wrong so often and still have a job.  Well that’s just simply not true anymore.

24 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

Agreed - its' just so damn embarrassing to have the best player in the game today and see his talent get utterly and completely wasted. McDavid has spent his entire life honing his skill, he deserves a lot better than what PC and this moronic group of so called hockey exec's have surrounded him with. I know I shouldn't use that word but looking it up "A person of borderline intelligence in the former classification of mental retardation, having an intelligence quotient of 50-69" - I mean looking at the roster moves over the past few years, it's the only thing that fits. 

5 minutes ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

Exactly... I, unfortunately at this point, will continue to do the same.  As much as I want to throw in the towel, I just can’t.  And on top of it all, having Habs, Flames, and Canucks fans I know and have to talk to on an almost daily basis doesn’t help anything, lol.

I used to think a Meteorologist was the only position you could be wrong so often and still have a job.  Well that’s just simply not true anymore.

Yep - the ineptitude of this franchise is epic. As a caller said today, we are the Detroit Lions of the NHL. 

Calgary went through some very lean years with high expectations.  I prayed Iggy would get traded, especially during them infamous slow starts he always seemed to have.  The focus of the team and city on one player really handicapped the team in my opinion.  Through all of them years I never once adopted another team nor threw away a jersey let alone do it on TV.  So point is well taken.

The fans that throw their jerseys on the ice want to achieve two things in my opinion.  One, voice their displeasure visually.  Two, rub salt into an already gaping wound.  It is counterproductive in a few ways.  When the player's see this they feel less obligated to dedicate themselves to do what is needed to win.  Free agents are less likely to sign there when these images are flashed on TV.

5 years of Nicholson is enough in my opinion.  I was curious on what he could do with the Oiler team, there was much optimism when he signed on with the team.   I was skeptical back then because he was only really known for what he did with Team Canada teams.  He was involved in assembling the best of the best, and the best always accepted the invitation because it was for country.  In the NHL, it is completely different and Edmonton was rebuilding.  Lowe must absolutely go.  The connection to the past must be broken for the sake of NHL hockey in Edmonton.

1 minute ago, CalgaryFlamesAltFan said:

Calgary went through some very lean years with high expectations.  I prayed Iggy would get traded, especially during them infamous slow starts he always seemed to have.  The focus of the team and city on one player really handicapped the team in my opinion.  Through all of them years I never once adopted another team nor threw away a jersey let alone do it on TV.  So point is well taken.

The fans that throw their jerseys on the ice want to achieve two things in my opinion.  One, voice their displeasure visually.  Two, rub salt into an already gaping wound.  It is counterproductive in a few ways.  When the player's see this they feel less obligated to dedicate themselves to do what is needed to win.  Free agents are less likely to sign there when these images are flashed on TV.

5 years of Nicholson is enough in my opinion.  I was curious on what he could do with the Oiler team, there was much optimism when he signed on with the team.   I was skeptical back then because he was only really known for what he did with Team Canada teams.  He was involved in assembling the best of the best, and the best always accepted the invitation because it was for country.  In the NHL, it is completely different and Edmonton was rebuilding.  Lowe must absolutely go.  The connection to the past must be broken for the sake of NHL hockey in Edmonton.

CFAF... respectfully, you have never gone through what this teams fanbase is going through.  You may have had "lean years"... but this team is working on it's second consecutive lean decade.    That being said, I applaud your dedication to your team, and I applaud the Oilers fanbase for their dedication to this failed franchise.  To be this bad for this long, yet still fill the seats and have at least a 5 year waiting list for seasons tickets is nothing short of astounding.  This organization has not earned the dedication it receives, and it certainly had better start working harder for it.  I love this team and I will never change, but i definitely can not fault somebody who does.

These players you Boo today have not been on the team 12 years. Fans are taking it out on the wrong people (provided the team puts in an honest effort). Your boos, without a doubt, cause more harm than good. 

I read how fans are worried McD will ask for a trade, he can, but he is an honorable man that will stay for his contract. BUT, your boos will ensure players will put us on their 'no trade' list. 

You think your helping. NOT a chance!! You are aiding in the problem. Cheer on the team, complain about MANAGEMENT. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yuke said:

These players you Boo today have not been on the team 12 years. Fans are taking it out on the wrong people (provided the team puts in an honest effort). Your boos, without a doubt, cause more harm than good. 

I read how fans are worried McD will ask for a trade, he can, but he is an honorable man that will stay for his contract. BUT, your boos will ensure players will put us on their 'no trade' list. 

You think your helping. NOT a chance!! You are aiding in the problem. Cheer on the team, complain about MANAGEMENT. 

I don't disagree. But the product is what people pay hundreds or thousands to watch and support, and when they're watching the product they've bought for their hard earned money, I can understand the response. Nobody pays $500 to watch somebody manage. Oilers fans are well versed. They know what they're pissed off about, and,unfortunately, it's on display on home ice 41 times per year. 

It is a real problem when the rest of the league sees the anger flying over the boards on to the ice. Nobody wants to be a part of that. It will limit our options for players, coaches, GMs, and other positions. Especially considering how long it's been going on.

Agree with you on booing the players, its quite obvious the players on this team don't have thick enough skin to let it roll off there backs, and its not a bad thing. Some ppl hear the boos and rise to the occasion and play better because of it and others get dejected and worry about every move they are going to make.

I would wager that what's going to end up being the biggest problem is the fact that systemically the oilers management is in such disarray that they don't have a clue where to start to fix the situation. if Nicholson does his job and gets through his second review of the teams management since he's been here there should be more then a few job vacancies to fill if not then we'll likely have to expect more of the same.

Where can u point the finger and say that's the problem, that's what needs fixing and were good to go, if you really think about it, its top to bottom of the staff, drafting is terrible or is it player development thats terrible or both (why is jp playing 10 min a night on a 4th line, when he could be playing in Bakersfield for 20 min a night), nhl scouting is terrible and so on right up the ranks

The next gm better be one savvy sob to fix this team in a relatively short period of time,

I have been an Oilers fan my whole life. It’s nearly impossible for me to switch teams or give up on them now. Every time I say I’m done I just find myself watching the next game. It actually kind of sucks. Endless disappointment. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bronco73 said:

He's not defending the organization.  He's defending his right to be a fan of the team, and I agree with him.  Nobody is forcing you, I, or anybody else to be a fan, and nobody is stopping you from finding a new team to cheer for.  If you did, nobody should chastise you for it, just like nobody should chastise Edroot for being a proud Oiler fan.

The Oilers are almost the only thing I watch(ed) in pro sports, cause who has time? Not me. Didn't watch the superbowl cause I couldn't give a rip. This travesty however is certainly no longer worth my time. Love end of year sports highlights and bloopers and really enjoy (shared) season tickets to Victoria Royals hockey with my son. This show is very sad for a lifer.

The entire NHL has deteriorated w.r.t. entertainment value as far as I'm concerned.  

5 hours ago, Yuke said:

This is on point. I was at the last game and fans booing pi**ed me off. The anger and disappointment is entirely directed at the wrong target and is self defeating. I realize the fans have the right to do what they want and feeling their actions will get the most notice when done in the rink. But the players and Hitch didn't build this mess. We and the media have to shoulder some responsibility for the negative pressure we put on these young men when we really should be directing our wrath at the management and ownership. Like others have said, the current and old management has to go, regardless if they claim to be 'working on other aspects of OEG' or not. The Mikko signing that Nicholson says was a deal the management group signed off on shows us how messed up their thinking is. 

This is squarely on Katz. We all appreciate that him buying the team 12 years ago probably kept the team here. This will be a critical year for his bottom line. Many of the corporate and box seats were sold on a 3 year contract and that 3 years ends this summer. In this economy, he's going to lose a lot of these company season ticket holders and they won't be easy to replace. I know several who are pretty sure they will give up their spots. 

So this is a critical year. We will see if Katz just wants to be a fan or he wants to run a successful business franchise and fix this. I've worked in business for 30+ years and can't remember one owner or CEO that was satisfied with treading water or shrinking. Clearly he's leaving $millions on the table, so how he runs this business has me utterly baffled.

If I had his ear, I'd have Mr. Katz go and have a long chat with Robert Kraft and see if he'd show him how he's built a winning organization. It's far more than Brady and Belichick. It's the entire organization. And this organization is very, very sick to it's core. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

I not a fan because they win. Never have been. That my friend is called bandwagoning. something makes me feel like maybe you were the guy that threw the jersey or would've if you were there so if you really feel this way why don't you go join my flames friend or The Vegas squad instead of humiliating yourself on this fan site. And when the oilers start winning don't come back then.

• Thanks 1

I don't believe Mcdavid will leave the franchise any time soon. He's already got the whole of Edmonton and the team behind his back and eventually we will climb out of this hole. Just sit back and wait for this. Mcdavid will win a cup. WITH the Edmonton Oilers. So it may not be this year. So stop dwelling on the past and look to the future. Oscar Klefbom just got activated and Sekera playing in Bakersfield. We got Stuart Skinner down with the thunder in the AHL. I think we've got another 2016 deja vu coming soon. And this time anahiem won't be there to hold Talbot's or Koskinen's pad.  

6 hours ago, PeterTz said:

This is on point. I was at the last game and fans booing pi**ed me off. The anger and disappointment is entirely directed at the wrong target and is self defeating. I realize the fans have the right to do what they want and feeling their actions will get the most notice when done in the rink. But the players and Hitch didn't build this mess. We and the media have to shoulder some responsibility for the negative pressure we put on these young men when we really should be directing our wrath at the management and ownership. Like others have said, the current and old management has to go, regardless if they claim to be 'working on other aspects of OEG' or not. The Mikko signing that Nicholson says was a deal the management group signed off on shows us how messed up their thinking is. 

This is squarely on Katz. We all appreciate that him buying the team 12 years ago probably kept the team here. This will be a critical year for his bottom line. Many of the corporate and box seats were sold on a 3 year contract and that 3 years ends this summer. In this economy, he's going to lose a lot of these company season ticket holders and they won't be easy to replace. I know several who are pretty sure they will give up their spots. 

So this is a critical year. We will see if Katz just wants to be a fan or he wants to run a successful business franchise and fix this. I've worked in business for 30+ years and can't remember one owner or CEO that was satisfied with treading water or shrinking. Clearly he's leaving $millions on the table, so how he runs this business has me utterly baffled.

If I had his ear, I'd have Mr. Katz go and have a long chat with Robert Kraft and see if he'd show him how he's built a winning organization. It's far more than Brady and Belichick. It's the entire organization. And this organization is very, very sick to it's core. 

Fantastic statement...best I have seen here for a long time!!!! Thanks

6 hours ago, PeterTz said:

I have a deep respect for you.  Applause for calling out management in such a way.

20 minutes ago, Edroot said:

I don't believe Mcdavid will leave the franchise any time soon. He's already got the whole of Edmonton and the team behind his back and eventually we will climb out of this hole. Just sit back and wait for this. Mcdavid will win a cup. WITH the Edmonton Oilers. So it may not be this year. So stop dwelling on the past and look to the future. Oscar Klefbom just got activated and Sekera playing in Bakersfield. We got Stuart Skinner down with the thunder in the AHL. I think we've got another 2016 deja vu coming soon. And this time anahiem won't be there to hold Talbot's or Koskinen's pad.  

Didn't sound like "the whole of Edmonton and the team behind his back" when the boos were raining down, and jerseys were getting tossed the other day. I heard the fans cheering the people that were throwing the jerseys, more than I heard them cheering for the team in the 3rd period.

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

49 minutes ago, Fogolin2 said:

Didn't sound like "the whole of Edmonton and the team behind his back" when the boos were raining down, and jerseys were getting tossed the other day. I heard the fans cheering the people that were throwing the jerseys, more than I heard them cheering for the team in the 3rd period.

This is going to get worse before it gets better.

Connor Mcdavid will always have Edmonton behind him if he plays there. The team will be with him to. That's just being the best player in the world. even if your team is doing bad. 

The team has played alot of good minutes since the break. The few minutes in the 3rd against the hawks looks like the straw that broke the camels back.

Had the Oilers held onto that lead and won the game. Itd be 4 of 6 points and 1 point away from the wildcard.... Thered still be some hope for the season, but a complete collapse for 5 minutes of hockey really flipped the script.

Some fans get so disgruntled they should probably be medicated.

I know fans or mad. They have a right to be. I not going to rage at a fan for being just as frustrated as i am with the team. I know that fans talk about Mcdavid leaving the team. I know that the Oilers have a mountain to climb. I know that there are all these factors that are weighing in. But as long as the rest of the western Conference teams are doing as bad as them they have a fighting chance. I can see why Bro-lo_el_cunado is dissing the team. He has his opinion and he can basically make himself look like a clown on this site if he wants to. I don't care if he calls me out for being loyal to my team. The Oilers are doing bad sure. But I can say this. Mcdavid will not leave. The fans will still cheer. The team will still play even if it's not good. So why does two fans get to control the whole stadium? Wow they threw a jersey onto the ice. So what. They wasted money blah blah blah they could've they should've yeah yeah. So they can go to there homes and think about when they were good. But the Oilers are good. As long as they play with each other and help Hitchcock and his crazy schemes they will be just fine. If they played to what they can they would be right up with Calgary and Vegas. I'm not saying that they would win the cup. I'm saying that they have an Abbility to win. So get off their backs. Chiarelli gone okay!? We just need to believe in our team. Not be the 6th man on ice and rattle them.👌🙂🙂🙂🙂

4 hours ago, Edroot said:

I not a fan because they win. Never have been. That my friend is called bandwagoning. something makes me feel like maybe you were the guy that threw the jersey or would've if you were there so if you really feel this way why don't you go join my flames friend or The Vegas squad instead of humiliating yourself on this fan site. And when the oilers start winning don't come back then.

That’s good, I gathered that, because they never really have won anything (minus the 80’s) which is apparently all this OBC management team fixates on. When, if, they ever start winning again, I will still be here, just like I am still here now through ALL this losing.  I’ve been a die-hard fan a lot longer than you have, guaranteed, so I really couldn’t care less what you think about my “loyalty”.  I get so frustrated because I would actually like to see some changes, instead of the same crap over and over again each and every year.  That might be too much for you to comprehend though so I apologize.

Sounds like you got your first Oilers jersey a few years ago too... that’s cute.

2 hours ago, Edroot said:

I know fans or mad. They have a right to be. I not going to rage at a fan for being just as frustrated as i am with the team. I know that fans talk about Mcdavid leaving the team. I know that the Oilers have a mountain to climb. I know that there are all these factors that are weighing in. But as long as the rest of the western Conference teams are doing as bad as them they have a fighting chance. I can see why Bro-lo_el_cunado is dissing the team. He has his opinion and he can basically make himself look like a clown on this site if he wants to. I don't care if he calls me out for being loyal to my team. The Oilers are doing bad sure. But I can say this. Mcdavid will not leave. The fans will still cheer. The team will still play even if it's not good. So why does two fans get to control the whole stadium? Wow they threw a jersey onto the ice. So what. They wasted money blah blah blah they could've they should've yeah yeah. So they can go to there homes and think about when they were good. But the Oilers are good. As long as they play with each other and help Hitchcock and his crazy schemes they will be just fine. If they played to what they can they would be right up with Calgary and Vegas. I'm not saying that they would win the cup. I'm saying that they have an Abbility to win. So get off their backs. Chiarelli gone okay!? We just need to believe in our team. Not be the 6th man on ice and rattle them.👌🙂🙂🙂🙂

Problem is, the fans aren’t cheering... more like booing, and why wouldn’t/shouldn’t they? 

Newsflash - the Oilers aren’t good... sorry there Eddy, hate to burst your bubble.  I am dissing this team, because their performance stinks.  Thank GOD I am a Tier 2 fan!!!!  Not primarily the players fault, but in a way, yes, it is partly their fault.  Without McD this team is dead last, and sadly, even WITH him we could still end up DEAD LAST this season.  That’s the problem, they don’t play to what they can and if they play and are awful, umm... that might a be a problem, no?  Maybe to the Red Wine Club it’s fine, but to fans I would sure hope not.  KH came in claiming he knew exactly what was wrong with this team, and the lie detector test has determined that was a lie.  They are definitely NO Calgary, or VGK, lol!  Not even close.  How many more GM’s and Head Coaches do we have to burn through before we start recognizing the common denominator here? 

I feel bad for these players but at the end of the day it should be all about winning, and this organization needs a HUGE culture change.  I thought management knew a thing or two about winning, but again, that was a lie.  Tired of this “management” and all the excuses, that’s all.  We had the opportunity to win and actually make some progress beginning 3 years ago, since then PC and the OBC have crippled this team even further and it will take years to climb back out of this dark hole once again.  How you can go from making that much progress to yet another rebuild is beyond me, and I know I’m not alone in saying this.  So Mr. Edroot, when does it end?  How does it end? Oh right, let’s continue on status quo!  Because that’s been working so well.  Good idea!

I hope this all makes sense to you...?

5 minutes ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

How you can go from making that much progress to yet another rebuild is beyond me, and I know I’m not alone in saying this. 

Lucic goes from scoring 20+ to single digits.

Sekera goes from playing big minutes and putting up points, to not playing.

Waste a great draft pick on Puljujarvi.

Those should be a good start.

Oilers have been better these past 3 years than the previous 6 or so. They have a solid farm team and some good prospects... there are some positives.

I dont buy into the OBC conspiracies. Either way, changes are coming.

Western conference is going to be a massive chase for the playoffs the rest of the season. Oilers arent the only team struggling right now so it should be exciting.