The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers

16 hours ago, oilersfaninca said:

Weill it was nearly 13 years ago, but mostly I remember the two months of magical playoff hockey where the team came together and within a game of winning the Cup.  It certainly wasn't a team full of stars, but some good hockey players playing like a team.  And backing in as the last seed only made it that much sweeter.  Beating the Wings, Ducks and Sharks was also sweet.

And I remember this vividly and it still gives me goosebumps.  

And how about this playoff saving larceny by Roloson?  I remember this well.

Or this fan favorite being the league heavyweight champ:

If that run never happened I don't think I'd be a fan right now. Never got into hockey before that happened. 

Too bad it'll be another 10 years... 😓

14 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Look, I used to be JP's biggest fan, but how can we hope we "get Pulj that cheap"? Who would pay him 1.5? He's barely capable of being in the league at this point. 

JP is happy with what he's making right now, otherwise an effort would be there. Don't be surprised if he decides to go back home to Sweden and play in the "no hit league" over there. I'm convinced he doesn't like playing in the NHL because it's too rough for him.

18 minutes ago, pillotte said:

JP is happy with what he's making right now, otherwise an effort would be there. Don't be surprised if he decides to go back home to Sweden and play in the "no hit league" over there. I'm convinced he doesn't like playing in the NHL because it's too rough for him.

Bettman's NHL is a no hit league!

10 hours ago, bronco73 said:

that's the thing about math... sometimes it can be worked over to support a certain argument.

Here are the current wildcard standings:

4c38d79d024b7f05d387c066001e2c3c.png

Yup you are right, there are 5 teams between us and the wildcard.  But look at the games played.  We have 2 games in hand over most of those teams.  Two wins, puts us tied with vancouver at two points behind the final wildcard with the same games played.

But that's where the problem lies... they have to win both of those games.  I cannot see it happening especially since we are playing Pittsburgh and Carolina.  Both teams have owned us in recent memory.  Anything is possible... but in this case I find it very unlikely.

They have points in hand, we have games in hand. I know which I'd rather have.

It's not impossible, but we need help from 5 other teams...just one of them needs to play good for us to be eliminated

Exactly ^

I think tonight’s game will say it all.  Good competition, but the Pens are no Sharks so it should be the perfect measuring stick.  If we come out and literally steal these 2 points, there might be a glimmer of hope.  If they come out and lay ANOTHER giant egg, just please put a fork in this season and sell/cast off these horrible contracts before/at the trade deadline.  Their upcoming schedule gets way too difficult for these tin men.

Tonight in Pittsburgh all of are stars are playing and some come back within a game or two back soon. Andre Sekera is playing soon. Oscar Klefbom is playing. Leon is Playing. Mcdavid, Nugent-Hopkins, Koskinen. We got a game here

Mcdavid is better then Crosby BTW

Edited by Edroot

4 hours ago, 94oildrops said:

If that run never happened I don't think I'd be a fan right now. Never got into hockey before that happened. 

Too bad it'll be another 10 years... 😓

It could be another 10 unfortunately.

This is the playoff game I remember most, I still get chills watching this.  I was at a couple when we played SJS in 2017 too but this Wings game, man, I will never forget:

This is what playoff hockey is all about.

2 hours ago, Bro-lo_el_cunado said:

It could be another 10 unfortunately.

This is the playoff game I remember most, I still get chills watching this.  I was at a couple when we played SJS in 2017 too but this Wings game, man, I will never forget:

This is what playoff hockey is all about.

ELECTRIC, even 13 years later.  And remember the Wings were the #1 seed and considered the best team in the league at the time..  

The game faces during the anthem (see the Ducks video).  The sheer elation when a goal is scored.  How about after the 4th goal with all 5 guys celebrating all the way down the ice.  Yep, it meant something to this bunch.  

Kind of fun re-living they best hockey for Oilers fans in a LONG time!

Edited by oilersfaninca

23 hours ago, bronco73 said:

on the salary issue being discussed above... everybody is technically right.  here are the numbers:

https://www.hockey-reference.com/friv/current_nhl_salaries.cgi

about half of the league earns less than 1 million dollars per season.  The other half make more, and some make significantly more.  Because of that and the league minimum it skews the average salary number up to around the 3 million mark, but on sheer numbers of players earning above and below 1 million it's about half above and half below.

median vs. mean

Just now, WHA fan said:

median vs. mean

wrong on both accounts, respectfully.  Mean is the absolute average, which of course is approximately 3 million per season.  Median is the exact middle ground, or 8.3  million.  the league minimum and the very high salaries of the leagues best players skews the median number way high.  In terms of actual numbers of players above and below the 1 million dollar mark, neither median nor mean can be used.  You have to do an actual count, and the list above gives the salary for every current NHL player and it shows that approximately half of the NHL players earn above 1 million and half below 1 million.

2 minutes ago, bronco73 said:

wrong on both accounts, respectfully.  Mean is the absolute average, which of course is approximately 3 million per season.  Median is the exact middle ground, or 8.3  million.  the league minimum and the very high salaries of the leagues best players skews the median number way high.  In terms of actual numbers of players above and below the 1 million dollar mark, neither median nor mean can be used.  You have to do an actual count, and the list above gives the salary for every current NHL player and it shows that approximately half of the NHL players earn above 1 million and half below 1 million.

the meandian

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Edroot said:

Tonight in Pittsburgh all of are stars are playing and some come back within a game or two back soon. Andre Sekera is playing soon. Oscar Klefbom is playing. Leon is Playing. Mcdavid, Nugent-Hopkins, Koskinen. We got a game here

Mcdavid is better then Crosby BTW

at least we have plenty of offense

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, bronco73 said:

Not sure what we are disagreeing about. If half make above 1 mill, and half make more, which is what you said, then 1 mill is the median. The average is skewed much more than the median number, of course which is why, by your quote the average is 3 million. Median vs. mean. 

Coughed up another lead. Gross.

Pittsburgh is a good team, and they're playing desperate to hang on to their spot. Not surprised that they won, but was hoping for a better game from our guys.

That shorty was the most embarrassing goal against this year. I didn't even get mad. I was just stunned at what I was watching.

Breaking News....

"Wildwood Sports" reporting it has possibly found the reason behind Oiler's futility....Apparently, half the players had previously booked personal trips and holidays at the end of the regular season, therefore, they have no time for the playoffs should we get there!.......What can you do? Prior Commitments..:th_shrug:

Edited by Coffey2Gretzky

So what would actually happen if fans revolted by refusing to purchase tickets ?? Would the organization only THEN get its act together? How can Katz truly ever relate to the pain and suffering of a losing culture if he keeps winning financially??

I don't believe it's the players, or at least the majority of them, we are simply not deep enough in talent. After the top 6 the drop off is huge. As most all of you say we're laiden AHL and players that really just go through the motions and I'm using JP as that example he doesn't like the North American game because the ice is smaller than in Sweden as a result he gets hit more often, which really explains his play. Benning is just plain not good enough to play at this level let alone the AHL, maybe just maybe he could make a team in the ECHL. Hopefully there is something in our system as far as goaltending goes either that or bring in another goaltending coach 'cause Swartz ain't doin' it. 

1 minute ago, pillotte said:

bring in another goaltending coach 'cause Swartz ain't doin' it. 

Koskinen let in another Schwartz-side goal last night!

• Haha 1

On 2/14/2019 at 8:04 AM, WHA fan said:

Not sure what we are disagreeing about. If half make above 1 mill, and half make more, which is what you said, then 1 mill is the median. The average is skewed much more than the median number, of course which is why, by your quote the average is 3 million. Median vs. mean. 

I argued the majority of the NHL players dont make millions...

Median would be the middle between the highest and lowest paid, mean would be the average... neither value would reflect the number of >1mill to <1mill players. `as I understand it`

depending on what we say is equal to millions, or how they are taxed, or to include prospects or not. I still say the majority of NHLers dont make `millions`. Ill agree they are well payed, and they deserve it.

I think the core of the argument is that pro athletes have to endure fan and media abuse because they make millions of dollars as pro athletes. Its part of the job. 

edit... Ill put this link in for kicks. Some of you might like it.

https://hockey-graphs.com/2019/01/08/how-much-do-nhl-players-really-make-part-2-taxes/

Edited by threetimes