The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
Posthugger

OPEN LETTER TO KATZ

Please get rid of this bankrupt Management. We Fans have watched and waited with hope for a turn around. This is not the Coaches,GM or something in the water.... We have witnessed inept management on a grand scale. Former Management has been rewarded and are still present here after leading this franchise to the basement.

Please do the right thing and clear house once and for all...there are many hockey people who would line up with resumes of success to help guide this franchise if the Management was entirely cleared out.

You have been more then generous to support your friends and former dynasty players but as you can see this has not and will not turn around. You have provided them with every opportunity to succeed.

We Fans need you to to Please turn the page and rebuild this management with successful proven team builders and I will guarantee the fans of this team would support  a legitimate restructure with confidence that something tangible is really being done this time.

We have seen 8 Coaches,4 GM's and an entire roster turned over and now the hole is deeper then ever.

Have an independent review,audit or evaluation by someone or a team of responsible honest hockey people and they will tell you...The next step and required step is to rebuild the management...then slowly correct the on ice problems.This is not the water ,a curse , because we won 30 years ago or unfortunate circumstances...this is the entire management  being unsuccessful and not ever being held accountable.

Be accountable and clean house and fans will support this more then you will ever know.

POSTHUGGER

• Thanks 1

This thread, like others, will be permitted to run it's course.  But please everybody remember that this site, this very venue for you to voice your displeasure is provided by the same organization that you may be here to complain about.  So that being said, the onus is on all of us to remain civil in our complaints.  Remember the rules of the forum, and conduct yourselves responsibly and respectfully. 

10 hours ago, Posthugger said:

Be accountable and clean house and fans will support this more then you will ever know.

I'll sign on to this letter. Just get top-notch hockey people in here, and don't obsess about "character" and "the best people for this city". Those things will take care of themselves if the team simply contends for a cup regularly. The top goal for hockey players is the cup.

Does anyone have another example of a sports team or even another business where the employees relieved of their duties for poor performance are just re-hired to new roles or constantly reshuffled to new positions? If this is a smart modus operandi, the Boston Bruins will undoubtedly soon announce they have rehired Peter Chiarelli... 

We have a massive cancerous tumour and keep picking scabs off the top hoping everything will get better.

4 minutes ago, thekiltedzombie said:

We have a massive cancerous tumour and keep picking scabs off the top hoping everything will get better.

They could just trade Talbot but Lucic is stage 4.

1 hour ago, thekiltedzombie said:

Does anyone have another example of a sports team or even another business where the employees relieved of their duties for poor performance are just re-hired to new roles or constantly reshuffled to new positions? If this is a smart modus operandi, the Boston Bruins will undoubtedly soon announce they have rehired Peter Chiarelli... 

Bronco, I’ll make this respectful and civil as I cite an example.

The Washington Redskins in the NFL have gone through similar pains since Daniel Snyder bought the team in 1999. Numerous coaches, GMs, coaches/GMs, media people fired from the team radio station, large checks written to bad players(Haynesworth), but best of all now is that their current president of Football ops and GM has no accountability. He’s done less interviews than Chia. 

I'd love to see Katz come out this summer and announce that he has cleaned house, that he is sorry about the mess that has been created, and publically commit himself to find the right people to run this machine right. Unfortunately this likely won't happen and it's too bad. We can only foolishly hope Daryl is planning to do this by seasons end if we don't make the playoffs. 

4 hours ago, VirginiaOiler said:

Bronco, I’ll make this respectful and civil as I cite an example.

The Washington Redskins in the NFL have gone through similar pains since Daniel Snyder bought the team in 1999. Numerous coaches, GMs, coaches/GMs, media people fired from the team radio station, large checks written to bad players(Haynesworth), but best of all now is that their current president of Football ops and GM has no accountability. He’s done less interviews than Chia. 

Washington redskins employ scum. Terrible franchise.

One jersey toss leads to another usually. Come summer, people start reevaluating whether to spend on season tickets. That's how the fans voices are heard. 

7 hours ago, thekiltedzombie said:

Does anyone have another example of a sports team or even another business where the employees relieved of their duties for poor performance are just re-hired to new roles or constantly reshuffled to new positions?

The most common area where this is a thing is in government... politicians and bureaucrats, some large unions, etc.

I have stood by this team for over 30 yrs and have been more patient than a lot of people.  Before the cap era this team IMO had more success than maybe it should have since teams like the Rangers with limitless pockets could stack their team with stars while small market teams had to fight and scrape just to stay close. Watching Weight-Guerin-Smyth was never dull because I knew they would fight to the bitter end and possibly get that last second goal.  

Considering all of the hopes and frustrations in the cap era,  the most disappointing thing for me is that I can no longer say:  "I know the Oilers will fight to the bitter end and put up a full 60 minute effort!"

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TeamEllis said:

Washington redskins employ scum. Terrible franchise.

You’ll have no argument here. Just wanted to shine a light on another dysfunctional franchise. 

Bob already announced there is no Red wine summit. Be it true or not, it tells me there will not be any changes.

So... when I keep reading people give the definition of insanity I ask...

If you keep asking for upper management changes and they are not coming, would it not be insane to keep expecting them?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Yuke said:

Bob already announced there is no Red wine summit. Be it true or not, it tells me there will not be any changes.

If you keep asking for upper management changes and they are not coming, would it not be insane to keep expecting them?

If that be the case, watching the team would eventually make you insane anyway... Your clucked either way. 

On 2/7/2019 at 9:06 PM, Yuke said:

Just because the truth is not being addressed and asking for voices to be heard is not insanity. Supporting this with dollars is insanity because until fans realize once they demand accountability and will not accept anything less only then will we see repsonsible team building.

Edited by Posthugger

1 hour ago, Posthugger said:

Just because the truth is not being addressed and asking for voices to be heard is not insanity. Supporting this with dollars is insanity because until fans realize once they demand accountability and will not accept anything less only then will we see repsonsible team building.

What the hell do you think has been going on here for the last decade? Are you new? Do you think the fans have been silent for 13 years? Nothing changes with Katz, NOTHING! He employs who he wants and that’s that. There’s a 5 year waiting period for seasons tickets here, If people stop renewing it means nothing because there’s a sucker born everyday...

Responsible team building.. that’s a laugh 

On 2/7/2019 at 4:01 PM, neufab said:

The most common area where this is a thing is in government... politicians and bureaucrats, some large unions, etc.

I have stood by this team for over 30 yrs and have been more patient than a lot of people.  Before the cap era this team IMO had more success than maybe it should have since teams like the Rangers with limitless pockets could stack their team with stars while small market teams had to fight and scrape just to stay close. Watching Weight-Guerin-Smyth was never dull because I knew they would fight to the bitter end and possibly get that last second goal.  

Considering all of the hopes and frustrations in the cap era,  the most disappointing thing for me is that I can no longer say:  "I know the Oilers will fight to the bitter end and put up a full 60 minute effort!"

It is because of the cap era and the NHLPA. NHL isn't fun anymore. The game of hockey requires emotion for it to be successful. Mostly that emotion involves animosity towards opponents. That is gone now and the will to compete is replaced by a respect for a system that drives contracts higher, and respecting opponents ability to capitalize on said contracts. That's the NHLPA. 

Torts was right....

"Listen, I know I'm kind of beating my head against the wall as far as where I want the game," he said. "I think our game has made some great changes in it. But damn, I miss the old-school 'I'm-coming-at-you.' And we'll have a beer after. But do we have to talk about it on the ice right now? That's sickening to me, quite honestly." 

Now a couple of you will lose your grip and say I want goonery, and violence blah blah as though that is what I'm saying. So let me cut that off right away. It isn't. But the compete in hockey, and the entertainment value, requires the "I'm coming at you." attitude. Seems the willingness to actually play for a whole game is also mostly gone, and it's the business of hockey that did it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, WHA fan said:

It is because of the cap era and the NHLPA. NHL isn't fun anymore. The game of hockey requires emotion for it to be successful. Mostly that emotion involves animosity towards opponents. That is gone now and the will to compete is replaced by a respect for a system that drives contracts higher, and respecting opponents ability to capitalize on said contracts. That's the NHLPA. 

Torts was right....

"Listen, I know I'm kind of beating my head against the wall as far as where I want the game," he said. "I think our game has made some great changes in it. But damn, I miss the old-school 'I'm-coming-at-you.' And we'll have a beer after. But do we have to talk about it on the ice right now? That's sickening to me, quite honestly." 

Now a couple of you will lose your grip and say I want goonery, and violence blah blah as though that is what I'm saying. So let me cut that off right away. It isn't. But the compete in hockey, and the entertainment value, requires the "I'm coming at you." attitude. Seems the willingness to actually play for a whole game is also mostly gone, and it's the business of hockey that did it. 

Well put

8 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Torts was right....

Nailed it...the only time emotion comes into the game right now is after a big hit or once playoffs start! I wish this current group would get mad when every visiting team hands them their lunch.

10 hours ago, WHA fan said:

Torts was right....

Puts a tear in my eye. I am losing interest in the NHL but Bettmen and the owners don't care. The game has been altered for an expanding audience that want the pirouette, figure skating style of hockey.  MONEY rules and unfortunately, understandable. 

I don't recall anyone mentioning anything on comments by Hitch on The After Hours show saying (paraphrasing here).

When I first started coaching I would tell players what to do. Then I had to tell them what to do and why. Now we have to tell them what to do, why they are doing it and what is in it for them. (Team slid bad after this also)

Maybe we should just get an ECHL or AHL team in Edmonton instead. Players work hard trying to get to the show. Paid less, greater effort.

Edited by Yuke

14 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

What the hell do you think has been going on here for the last decade? Are you new? Do you think the fans have been silent for 13 years? Nothing changes with Katz, NOTHING! He employs who he wants and that’s that. There’s a 5 year waiting period for seasons tickets here, If people stop renewing it means nothing because there’s a sucker born everyday...

Responsible team building.. that’s a laugh 

Comprehension is a problem?  Here I will spell it out.... whine ,cry and scream all you want for 2 decades. The only way this Owner takes serious team building to task is when fans quit purchasing  seats.....that has not happened.

When the empire is hit in the pocket book Katz will rethink his hiring of former Oilers and protecting the former management who is here.

I'm not spending 1 cent until management is cleared out but I'm just a tier 2 fan who occasionally goes to games but often purchase quite a bit of Oiler products for gifts.

Edited by Posthugger

32 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

Comprehension is a problem?  Here I will spell it out.... whine ,cry and scream all you want for 2 decades. The only way this Owner takes serious team building to task is when fans quit purchasing  seats.....that has not happened.

When the empire is hit in the pocket book Katz will rethink his hiring of former Oilers and protecting the former management who is here.

I'm not spending 1 cent until management is cleared out but I'm just a tier 2 fan who occasionally goes to games but often purchase quite a bit of Oiler products for gifts.

So why is your letter to Katz? Should it not be to fans?

43 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

Comprehension is your problem. There’s a 5 year wait for tickets. There will never be a empty building in this city. No one cares that you won’t spend a penny as a tier 2 fan

1 hour ago, Messrules11 said:

Comprehension is your problem. There’s a 5 year wait for tickets. There will never be a empty building in this city. No one cares that you won’t spend a penny as a tier 2 fan

There was a 5 year wait and from what I hear many have had enough. Keep building a crap basement dweller and fans will tune out. I only Express what many are expressing...to stop this we have to quit throwing dollars at it and I am one of many who realize this will be the only way...hit Katz in the pocket book.

Read some recent articles on the team and the worry about the season ticket drive and box sales...or try to find some with diagrams.

1 hour ago, Yuke said:

You have to much time on your hands.

Edited by Posthugger

3 hours ago, Yuke said:

Puts a tear in my eye. I am losing interest in the NHL but Bettmen and the owners don't care. The game has been altered for an expanding audience that want the pirouette, figure skating style of hockey.  MONEY rules and unfortunately, understandable. 

I don't recall anyone mentioning anything on comments by Hitch on The After Hours show saying (paraphrasing here).

When I first started coaching I would tell players what to do. Then I had to tell them what to do and why. Now we have to tell them what to do, why they are doing it and what is in it for them. (Team slid bad after this also)

Maybe we should just get an ECHL or AHL team in Edmonton instead. Players work hard trying to get to the show. Paid less, greater effort.

We have a minor team it's just their in the NHL at NHL prices.

4 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

There was a 5 year wait and from what I hear many have had enough. Keep building a crap basement dweller and fans will tune out. I only Express what many are expressing...to stop this we have to quit throwing dollars at it and I am one of many who realize this will be the only way...hit Katz in the pocket book.

Man you really don’t get it. This is a hockey town, we’ve been losing for 12 of 13 years, the building sells out, there’s a 5 year wait for tickets. Katz is rich beyond belief and continues to develop the downtown core. I’ve had ST for 31 years and I’ve finally had enough but some other guy will gladly snap up my seats and who knows maybe he’ll hold them for the next 30 years. This isn’t Florida or Carolina, hockey is what this city is about. 

14 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Man you really don’t get it. This is a hockey town, we’ve been losing for 12 of 13 years, the building sells out, there’s a 5 year wait for tickets. Katz is rich beyond belief and continues to develop the downtown core. I’ve had ST for 31 years and I’ve finally had enough but some other guy will gladly snap up my seats and who knows maybe he’ll hold them for the next 30 years. This isn’t Florida or Carolina, hockey is what this city is about. 

Yeah and season ticket holders cannot get face value for their tickets they sell off....  talk to me in five years because if you think this has bottomed out it has not....it is just falling.

6 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

Yeah and season ticket holders cannot get face value for their tickets they sell off....  talk to me in five years because if you think this has bottomed out it has not....it is just falling.

I’m doing exactly what you’re suggesting and I’m telling you IT DOES NOT MATTER. Others will gladly take my seats and in 5 years when the bad contracts are gone and this team starts to seriously challenge you can go hide under a rock or hug a post as the parade goes by

35 minutes ago, Posthugger said:
1 hour ago, Yuke said:

Guess so. I find it confusing with your bouncing around.

FYI. There is oil money being spent here by rich companies that write off the tickets as an expense, not just public money. Companies from all over central and northern Alberta give tickets to their clients. I know people from High Level that drive down 7-9 hours to go to a game. The demand will not go away.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Messrules11 said:

I’m doing exactly what you’re suggesting and I’m telling you IT DOES NOT MATTER. Others will gladly take my seats and in 5 years when the bad contracts are gone and this team starts to seriously challenge you can go hide under a rock or hug a post as the parade goes by

Lowe is that you...parade in five years...hahaha

1 minute ago, Yuke said:

Guess so. I find it confusing with your bouncing around.

FYI. There is oil money being spent here by rich companies that write off the tickets as an expense, not just public money. Companies from all over central and northern Alberta give tickets to their clients. I know people from High Level that drive down 7-9 hours to go to a game. The demand will not go away.

Oh I dont think it will go away but it could suffer....the brand is already damaged.