Jump to content
The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
Posthugger

OPEN LETTER TO KATZ

Recommended Posts

I look at what Keith Gretzky has done....yes got us a back up and cleared some cap space....traded a non performer in Spooner for a familiar face in Gags.

Is this enough to claim he should be the next GM?    There is bigger decisions then this and a couple small positives, just is not enough.

I'm flabbergasted how quickly some fans accept 2 minor moves that seem to benefit the franchise and now claim based on this Gretzky should be the GM.

The word here should be caution and the hunt should continue for proven team builders.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Posthugger said:

I look at what Keith Gretzky has done....yes got us a back up and cleared some cap space....traded a non performer in Spooner for a familiar face in Gags.

Is this enough to claim he should be the next GM?    There is bigger decisions then this and a couple small positives, just is not enough.

I'm flabbergasted how quickly some fans accept 2 minor moves that seem to benefit the franchise and now claim based on this Gretzky should be the GM.

The word here should be caution and the hunt should continue for proven team builders.

Agreed, the oilers will win a game and everyone will be stoked about the playoff race again. They lose a game and then back to the pessimism. 

A GM with a successful resume is what the team needs, and actual planning for developing prospects. I don't think the team has ever created a plan for their picks or even drafted with a plan in mind. They just pick and have them work on things and hope it works out. The development of a prospect should be done like a university or secondary education, get them prepared and educated in a way for them to be successful in the pros. Each individual is different and that's why you have scouts to grade them and help dictate the direction the student should be heading. Instead, the team just hopes for the best.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey Katz...better muzzle Nicholson and give him a position beside Kevin Lowe.

Well at least you have a pair of man bookends who should not open their mouths in public.

Funny how we all thought Pocklington selling Gretzky was the worst thing a owner could do....then Katz came into the picture and singlehandedly hired his ex Oiler idol friends and sunk the good ship oiler to the depths of professional sports teams. 

Lesson kids...hiring incompetent friends in business and protecting their errors over and over will be a guarantee of successful long term failure.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Open letter to Katz:

The Edmonton Oilers have always been my favorite team.  My 2 favorite players are Ryan Smyth and Mark Messier even though many other great players have made the Oilers fun to watch.  As a kid I jumped so high the day the Oilers won their 3rd Stanley Cup that I touched the ceiling in my family room for the first time.  In 2006 that level of pride and excitement was back. 

Today I am angry at how the Oilers organization could be so heavily disrespected.  By its own doing the Oilers have disgraced themselves.  I do not mean just this season.  Years of media hype, commercial antics, historical tributes, mismanagement of top prospects, and empty promises to fans have left the Oilers organization in greater question than the team on the ice.  

I will continue to watch the Oilers even though I am not happy about what I am seeing.  I trust that eventually the mistakes will be fixed.  Unfortunately this year I will have to watch the Jets (my wife's home city) instead of the Oilers in the playoffs. 

I expect much more when this team is led by Conner McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, Ryan Nugent Hopkins, Darnell Nurse, and Oskar Klefbom.  Guys like Gagner, Kassian, Chiasson (contract pending), and some of the young guys are great building blocks to restore some respect.  Considering the short list, some smart decisions need to be made with the other players.  Sekera is great when he is playing his game but missing much of 2 years has been damaging.  Is there any way to predict health here?  If not, a solid contingency needs to be in place!  Larsson is a good player but will always be associated with the Hall trade.  That is not a good situation to be in.  Lucic would be great if we all knew that he was making 1/6 of his salary.  Maybe not fair to him but that seems to be the sentiment. 

The decision making process is the biggest point of contention and this is where the organization has lost the most respect.  As fans we cannot accept the perpetual blundering that we have witnessed.  Hype, a revived Ice district, and no amount of historic tributes will suffice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another failed season....Katz and his ex Oiler idols are perfectly consistent.

Prepare yourself for an off season of more lipstick on this pig. 

Keep firing coaches and GM's  but dont you dare touch those embedded entitled ones who reside in the shadows....pathetic team building that is now closing in on a decade and a half of failure. 

What is worse, this owner or the fans who keep handing Katz the dollars to support this utterly incompetant franchise that cannot ice any thing resembling success. 

14 years to correct this but no....let's give them another opportunity because were only one or two players away and if the guy with no goals could score 12 would be in the playoffs. 

They still belive the Stanley cup is just around the corner and they have the bottles of red wine ready to sit back and watch their names get engraved on the mug....

Lowe I have 6 rings I know about winning

MAC T  this failure is about us winning 30 years ago, Schultz will be a norris trophy Dman ( kids this game is meant to be played with a helmet)

Nicholson....I will evaluate for a year and change what they tell me to, if one player with zero goals scored 12 this team would be in the playoffs, Have comfort as I am searching for your next GM over turning every rock even though when I said this there was 4 feet of snow outside.... yes I'm the guy who makes Tambellini look like a rocket scientist when a mic  gets stuck in front of me.

Yes fans...in Bob Nicholsons hands we trust....

Everyone thought this failure would be the hand that rocked this franchise to finally correct what is so obvious....it has not, the shadow masters continue to drive the good ship Oiler to depths not seen in professional sports.... maybe when the failure hits two decades?

Edited by Posthugger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I certainly have no solid proof that the OBC meddles with the team.

But, the POHO, GM, coaches, and scouts have been changed out several times since 2007.

The only constants have been Katz and the OBC.

That leads me to believe that the problem lies with one or both of them.

It's near impossible to change out the owner of a NHL team, but maybe enough pressure from the STHs could convince Katz to jettison the OBC.

One can only hope.....


I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

 

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, 420since1974 said:

I certainly have no solid proof that the OBC meddles with the team.

But, the POHO, GM, coaches, and scouts have been changed out several times since 2007.

The only constants have been Katz and the OBC.

That leads me to believe that the problem lies with one or both of them.

It's near impossible to change out the owner of a NHL team, but maybe enough pressure from the STHs could convince Katz to jettison the OBC.

One can only hope.....

It has to be the corporate STHs though.

The individual/family STHs have all waited patiently on waiting lists to get their tickets .... I completely understand their desire to hold onto their seats.

The corporate seat and box holders, having blocks of seats for no other purpose than prestige and tax write offs, they have to be the ones that say "No" to Katz .... I'm not sure if they ever will.  They are all friends of Katz and the OBC as well.


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agreed.


I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

 

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 


I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

 

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 420since1974 said:

 

 

This is just messed up.  Ridiculous priorities.  


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

This is just messed up.  Ridiculous priorities.  

Not sure why Coffey’s salary is the one singled out here. Seems to me others make even more than that.. To add, if this lady’s job was to settle guys in then let’s have a look at her history. Yak, Puli, Shultz and how many other young guys has she failed. Let’s not forget the internet could likely do anything she could anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Not sure why Coffey’s salary is the one singled out here. Seems to me others make even more than that.. To add, if this lady’s job was to settle guys in then let’s have a look at her history. Yak, Puli, Shultz and how many other young guys has she failed. Let’s not forget the internet could likely do anything she could anyway.

Pretty sure Coffee is getting singled out because no one knows what he does, and no one has even seen him anywhere near the team, or the farm team. 500K to be Katz's friend, but the person who probably makes 50K to help players and families settle into Edmonton life (as undesirable as it is) breaks the budget ...... all the while millions gets paid out in severance to PC and TM fired years before their contracts ran out.

It's another example of how badly the team is run from the top ....... no wonder it doesn't run well at the bottom.

  • Like 2

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Not sure why Coffey’s salary is the one singled out here. Seems to me others make even more than that.. To add, if this lady’s job was to settle guys in then let’s have a look at her history. Yak, Puli, Shultz and how many other young guys has she failed. Let’s not forget the internet could likely do anything she could anyway.

Yeah no kidding, and don’t forget we have Scott Howson - VP of Player Development on our side!  He’s a real keeper, thank God he made it through all these cuts, he’s awesome!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

Pretty sure Coffee is getting singled out because no one knows what he does, and no one has even seen him anywhere near the team, or the farm team. 500K to be Katz's friend, but the person who probably makes 50K to help players and families settle into Edmonton life (as undesirable as it is) breaks the budget ...... all the while millions gets paid out in severance to PC and TM fired years before their contracts ran out.

It's another example of how badly the team is run from the top ....... no wonder it doesn't run well at the bottom.

Isn’t he here for the Bakersfield defence? Bear, Jones, you know, guys we’re looking to develop? Samorukov, Bouchard, you know, guys we’re banking on for the future. If a 50k employee that can be replaced with an internet connection is worth complaining about then you might as well just start yelling at the clouds. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, Messrules11 said:

Isn’t he here for the Bakersfield defence? Bear, Jones, you know, guys we’re looking to develop? Samorukov, Bouchard, you know, guys we’re banking on for the future. If a 50k employee that can be replaced with an internet connection is worth complaining about then you might as well just start yelling at the clouds. 

Isn't he?  I don't know.  No one has seen him in Bakersfield from what I've heard.  Maybe he does his helping by Skype?


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DeutchOil said:

Isn't he?  I don't know.  No one has seen him in Bakersfield from what I've heard.  Maybe he does his helping by Skype?

C’mon Deutch, I don’t think Coffey mentoring some young defence is the problem here. Bakersfield won a lot of games in a row and unless your in Bakersfield I don’t think you’ll hear a lot about what’s going on there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Not sure why Coffey’s salary is the one singled out here. Seems to me others make even more than that.. To add, if this lady’s job was to settle guys in then let’s have a look at her history. Yak, Puli, Shultz and how many other young guys has she failed. Let’s not forget the internet could likely do anything she could anyway.

Coffey's salary isn't the one being singled out.  He's still here.

I'm not sure why Liason Lady is being singled out.  Not to get too off-topic, but if her role was to acclimatize players to Edm, that isn't nothing.  I've been overseas a few times, and it is a world of difference when you have someone from the place you are to guide you through it.  The internet can't teach you to ignore your own cultural biases which aren't relevant (but you otherwise don't realize they aren't relevant) in the place you're visiting. 

If she sucked at her job, ok (and no, that is not measured by on ice performance), but my goodness Katz needs to up his propaganda game.


fantyleaguecupbgnocchi_zpsd26307cf.png

 

Credits to UnrefinedCrude for the signature.  Big thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, nocchi said:

Coffey's salary isn't the one being singled out.  He's still here.

I'm not sure why Liason Lady is being singled out.  Not to get too off-topic, but if her role was to acclimatize players to Edm, that isn't nothing.  I've been overseas a few times, and it is a world of difference when you have someone from the place you are to guide you through it.  The internet can't teach you to ignore your own cultural biases which aren't relevant (but you otherwise don't realize they aren't relevant) in the place you're visiting. 

If she sucked at her job, ok (and no, that is not measured by on ice performance), but my goodness Katz needs to up his propaganda game.

Coffey’s salary IS being singled out in the tweet above. I guess you missed that. The lady is being singled out because she is the story, she is the one who got let go.

As for her competence, I mentioned a few players that DID’NT do well here and it wasn’t just their on-ice performance. There were numerous stories through the years to that effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Messrules11 said:

Coffey’s salary IS being singled out in the tweet above. I guess you missed that. The lady is being singled out because she is the story, she is the one who got let go.

As for her competence, I mentioned a few players that DID’NT do well here and it wasn’t just their on-ice performance. There were numerous stories through the years to that effect.

If it was a question of competence the Oilers better be looking much deeper than the family liason.

Re the family liason, is your argument that she can be replaced by an internet connection or is it that she was bad at a crucial job that was responsible for how well players did?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, BoomnotBust said:

If it was a question of competence the Oilers better be looking much deeper than the family liason.

Re the family liason, is your argument that she can be replaced by an internet connection or is it that she was bad at a crucial job that was responsible for how well players did?

Well for someone to actually get fired from this organization should tell you something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, nocchi said:

Coffey's salary isn't the one being singled out.  He's still here.

I'm not sure why Liason Lady is being singled out.  Not to get too off-topic, but if her role was to acclimatize players to Edm, that isn't nothing.  I've been overseas a few times, and it is a world of difference when you have someone from the place you are to guide you through it.  The internet can't teach you to ignore your own cultural biases which aren't relevant (but you otherwise don't realize they aren't relevant) in the place you're visiting. 

If she sucked at her job, ok (and no, that is not measured by on ice performance), but my goodness Katz needs to up his propaganda game.

I'm with you Nocchi, on this.

If you have ever gone and lived in a different country, not just at a resort that caters to you, but to live, find a home, buy groceries, get food, etc. you know just how difficult transition can be.  And how much money you have isn't overly helpful when talking about the basics of living ... when the gap is big, it can actually be a gigantic detriment. 

And Coffey?  Well when someone can actually show proof that he works for Bakersfield, then I might take the notion of his value to the development of defenders there seriously.   Here's Bakersfield's website.  I can't find Coffey listed anywhere ...

https://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/

500K for a consultant is steep.  And the liason wasn't fired ... her position was dissolved through budget cuts .... BIG difference. 


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

I'm with you Nocchi, on this.

If you have ever gone and lived in a different country, not just at a resort that caters to you, but to live, find a home, buy groceries, get food, etc. you know just how difficult transition can be.  And how much money you have isn't overly helpful when talking about the basics of living ... when the gap is big, it can actually be a gigantic detriment. 

And Coffey?  Well when someone can actually show proof that he works for Bakersfield, then I might take the notion of his value to the development of defenders there seriously.   Here's Bakersfield's website.  I can't find Coffey listed anywhere ...

https://www.bakersfieldcondors.com/

500K for a consultant is steep.  And the liason wasn't fired ... her position was dissolved through budget cuts .... BIG difference. 

You can mention the detriment of doing these things on your own but the fact is these guys didn’t have to do it alone, they had this liaison the whole time. And I’ll bet she did all her work with an internet connection. 

As for this budget cut malarkey, since when is 50k a realistic budget cut to a multi million dollar enterprise? To even believe this is real news and not just a nicer public way of saying ‘you’re fired.’

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually, you have other players helping players get acclimatized.  Unless the team is dysfunctional and it's all about the money.  I believe in San Jose, it is Joe Thornton that welcomes any new player at the airport.  It might be another player that shares his place to make sure the transition is smooth.  $500k does seem steep for a consultant job when an assistant coach in the NHL makes between $42k and $50k.  Perhaps Coffee should take on the job of the liaison too for that kind of money.  The lowest known head coach in the NHL is in Detroit being paid $800k (Jeff Blashill).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, CalgaryFlamesAltFan said:

Usually, you have other players helping players get acclimatized.  Unless the team is dysfunctional and it's all about the money.  I believe in San Jose, it is Joe Thornton that welcomes any new player at the airport.  It might be another player that shares his place to make sure the transition is smooth.  $500k does seem steep for a consultant job when an assistant coach in the NHL makes between $42k and $50k.  Perhaps Coffee should take on the job of the liaison too for that kind of money.  The lowest known head coach in the NHL is in Detroit being paid $800k (Jeff Blashill).

Do you actually think he is making $500K. I did a quick search and no salary was found

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Yuke said:

Do you actually think he is making $500K. I did a quick search and no salary was found

I think it is just as likely that he is making 500K, that he is working for Bakersfield .... do a search for him in Bakersfield and you will find nothing as well.

  • Like 1

"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, DeutchOil said:

I think it is just as likely that he is making 500K, that he is working for Bakersfield .... do a search for him in Bakersfield and you will find nothing as well.

He is not listed on the official Oilers list either. Possibly not even involved this year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what YOU should do Daryl . YOU should interview some possible POHO candidates , see what they have to say and go from there .  If you find someone you trust that are not members of the OBC ,  you can relieve bozo Bob from his task of trying to make things right with the new GM hire and give the responsibility to the POHO of YOUR choice . Then the two of them can hire a coach of their liking and go from there . Make sure to talk to Ralph Krueger , he might be a blessing in disguise . But leave no stone unturned in YOUR search , after all it's your team  and YOU need to be proactive at this time .

Edited by billpayor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yuke said:

Do you actually think he is making $500K. I did a quick search and no salary was found

Honestly, I was trusting the source of the $500k for that number, I don't know what Coffee is being paid or if he is even being paid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yuke said:

He is not listed on the official Oilers list either. Possibly not even involved this year.

Could be.  But the Oilers themselves said he was.  Also the source seems to think the number is accurate.  But ..... could be.


"I'm not a patient man".........."Talk is cheap."Craig MacTavish inauguration 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...