The Official Site of the Edmonton Oilers
Sign in to follow this  
dkers77

Wish list additions - 2019

In no particular order, grouped as Class A and B. Any one or more of these players would obviously be welcome additions...

The following are players that are either ufa, rfa, and/or have been rumoured to be avaiable...that potentially could sign in Edm in 2019, should an offer come to fruition...therefore I'm excluding players like Panarin and Karlsson...

Forwards - Class A

Nyquist - ufa/ntc 

Hoffman - ntc

Ferland - ufa

Silverberg - ufa

Zuccarello - ufa

Stone - ufa

Simmonds - ufa 

Forwards - Class B

Namestnikov

Panik - ufa

Hagelin - ufa

Zacha - rfa

Laughton - rfa 

Donskoi - ufa 

P.Lindholm - ufa

O.Lindberg - ufa

B.Connolly - ufa

B.Tanev - ufa

Heinen - rfa

N.Cousins - rfa 

C.Wilson - ufa

Defense - Class A

T.Myers - ufa

Defense - Class B

Jensen - ufa

Beaulieu - rfa

Ceci - rfa

Oesterle - ufa

Goaltenders - should Stolarz not work.

C.Johnson - ufa

McElhinney - ufa

Mrazek - ufa 

Edited by dkers77

23 minutes ago, dkers77 said:

In no particular order, grouped as Class A and B. Any one or more of these players would obviously be welcome additions...

The following are players that are either ufa, rfa, and/or have been rumoured to be avaiable...that potentially could sign in Edm in 2019, should an offer come to fruition...therefore I'm excluding players like Panarin and Karlsson...

Forwards - Class A

Nyquist - ufa/ntc 

Hoffman - ntc

Ferland - ufa

Silverberg - ufa

Zuccarello - ufa

Stone - ufa

Simmonds - ufa 

Forwards - Class B

Namestnikov

Panik - ufa

Hagelin - ufa

Zacha - rfa

Laughton - rfa 

Donskoi - ufa 

P.Lindholm - ufa

O.Lindberg - ufa

B.Connolly - ufa

B.Tanev - ufa

Defense - Class A

T.Myers - ufa

Defense - Class B

Jensen - ufa

Beaulieu - rfa

Ceci - rfa

Oesterle - ufa

Goaltenders - should Stolarz not work.

C.Johnson - ufa

McElhinney - ufa

Mrazek - ufa 

Stone and it is not even close for me. This guy is one of the most consistant scorers in the NHL and is in his prime right now. Do I think we can afford him? Nope. But this is the exact type of player we need right now:

???/McD/Drai

???/Nuge/Stone

That is four pieces of a top six that could match up against anyone in the NHL.

ODIE7_zps90ycfzl1.PNG

I'm not sure how Edmonton could afford either, but Carolina is all but sure to trade one of Justin Faulk or Dougie Hamilton before next season.

Both are RHRDs who lean towards offense over defense.

Either one would fill the #1 or #2 D spot on the Oilers, skate the puck all the way into the O zone, and play on the first PP.

Maybe move out some contracts for Cap room, then trade a first and two second round draft picks?

I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

The only way I can see any noteworthy additions through free agency , is if there are some big money contract subtractions . Can't see them losing either of Lucic or Russell's contracts . Maybe Russell's in the final year of his contract . But Lucic , they are stuck with . Thank goodness he's found chemistry with Cave & Currie , that trio could be a very good fourth line for next season . Reider & Petrovic both should be gone , Manning will remain buried so there's some savings and the cap goes up , so I will estimate they might be able to muster up about $6M to spend on a free agent or two and that would bring them right close to the limit . They probably only resign Chaisson .  That means there will be no class A UFA's signed , maybe Zuccarello or Silverberg  because I don't consider either class A material . Donskoi or Tanev from the class B category . 

So if they can sign one of those four forwards , their defense will rest because they have so many young guy's coming up , we may even see a couple of them making the jump next season , probably a forward or two also . The only other thing is a good back up goaltender , I like McElhinney ,  if Stolarz isn't the answer , or if Starrett isn't ready .

If they can sign UFA's ( Donskoi & McElhinney ) to fair contracts , that would be decent enough . But mostly I expect to see an injection of youthful enthusiasm into the line up for next season .

Edited by billpayor

3 hours ago, billpayor said:

The only way I can see any noteworthy additions through free agency , is if there are some big money contract subtractions . Can't see them losing either of Lucic or Russell's contracts . Maybe Russell's in the final year of his contract . But Lucic , they are stuck with . Thank goodness he's found chemistry with Cave & Currie , that trio could be a very good fourth line for next season . Reider & Petrovic both should be gone , Manning will remain buried so there's some savings and the cap goes up , so I will estimate they might be able to muster up about $6M to spend on a free agent or two and that would bring them right close to the limit . They probably only resign Chaisson .  That means there will be no class A UFA's signed , maybe Zuccarello or Silverberg  because I don't consider either class A material . Donskoi or Tanev from the class B category . 

So if they can sign one of those four forwards , their defense will rest because they have so many young guy's coming up , we may even see a couple of them making the jump next season , probably a forward or two also . The only other thing is a good back up goaltender , I like McElhinney ,  if Stolarz isn't the answer , or if Starrett isn't ready .

If they can sign UFA's ( Donskoi & McElhinney ) to fair contracts , that would be decent enough . But mostly I expect to see an injection of youthful enthusiasm into the line up for next season .

Huh? You just said a couple of days ago that we should avoid free agency and use kids from Bakersfield...

fogmetal2_zpsb2d99c8a.png

1 hour ago, Fogolin2 said:

Huh? You just said a couple of days ago that we should avoid free agency and use kids from Bakersfield...

They MIGHT have , as I estimate , $6M which isn't very much to put  towards signing a free agent or two . That's not much , it's going to still be pretty tight . But yeah , they probably will have to use kids to make things work cap wise . And that's ok , some of  the kids are looking good for next season . I know you don't trust using young players on their ELC and think the only way is to over pay free agents . Times are changing in the cap era though .

Edited by billpayor

6 hours ago, billpayor said:

They MIGHT have , as I estimate , $6M which isn't very much to put  towards signing a free agent or two . That's not much , it's going to still be pretty tight . But yeah , they probably will have to use kids to make things work cap wise . And that's ok , some of  the kids are looking good for next season . I know you don't trust using young players on their ELC and think the only way is to over pay free agents . Times are changing in the cap era though .

It's a combination that is the right answer. But we shouldn't count on the kids. They should come up and take those spots. Then we can move a NHler for a real return.

I agree with you that we should not 'make a splash' in the FA market, but we should be able to shelter the kids with an NHler or two.

It's the wish list of subtractions that is more compelling . Subtracting these players from the roster , Lucic , Russell , Brodziak , Reider , Pizzajarvi , Petrovic & Benning that would make additions more plausible . That would trim a cool $18M , or there about , right off the top . Then they could go to town , sign a couple grade A free agents , make some trades and they're off to the races . No problamo .

5 minutes ago, billpayor said:

It's the wish list of subtractions that is more compelling . Subtracting these players from the roster , Lucic , Russell , Brodziak , Reider , Pizzajarvi , Petrovic & Benning that would make additions more plausible . That would trim a cool $18M , or there about , right off the top . Then they could go to town , sign a couple grade A free agents , make some trades and they're off to the races . No problamo .

I LIKE IT !! Billpayor for GM!!!!

14 minutes ago, billpayor said:

Rieder walks without a qualifying offer and Petrovic just walks as a UFA. That's 2.95m saved

Brodziak is ok with me at 1.15m. I can't imagine that we don't qualify JP so that's $875k, and Khaira is $735k. 

I think we're going to have Lucic, Russel, Benning until the end of their contracts

3 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

Rieder walks without a qualifying offer and Petrovic just walks as a UFA. That's 2.95m saved

Brodziak is ok with me at 1.15m. I can't imagine that we don't qualify JP so that's $875k, and Khaira is $735k. 

I think we're going to have Lucic, Russel, Benning until the end of their contracts

You might be right about Lucic , Russell . Reider & Petrovic absolutely go to free agency . I like Brodziak & JJ Khaira .  I'd love to see Pizzajarvi moved and I'd have to say there's a good possibility Benning gets moved too . 

I think whoever the new GM is will have some fun rebooting this roster .

I posted the following in another thread earlier this week...and added to it below...Long read, but worth the read I think...

Don't resign Rattie, Rieder, Petrovic...thats 4.75M

They'll be replaced with players on the farm, making 700K - 925K...for total of 2.75M. Savings of 2M...

Buyout Manning and Brodziak. Saves another 2M...

Trade Benning for a draft pick or forward prospect for the farm...Benning will be replaced by current farm hand making roughly 1M or less...roughly 1M savings...

Thats roughly 5M in savings...

Priority to me would obviously be to find Lucic a new home, which may involve a 3 way with a team like Ottawa who now will need to hit floor. They might take on all or most of hit, then trade Lucic at a big reduction to a 3rd team that actually wants him at like 2M, and he agrees to be moved to said team...I did suggest Ottawa, after learning they were likely going to lose players they ended up losing...but I can't take credit for specific 3 way suggestion...Ill give Bruce McCurdy cred for that...

Finally I'd try like hell to move Russell. Especially if Sekera regains form, as it appears he is looking like the puck mover we've desperately missed in his absence...

Moving Lucic and Russell might be a long shot...but may be possible..? 

That could be up to another 10M...

So to recap...thats 5M + 3.5M cap increase = 8.5M 

If we're somehow able to move Russell and Lucic's contracts...thats 18.5M...

Even if we end up eating a couple Mil that's would still be 15+ M. 

Need IMO...top pairing Dman, top 6 forward(s), and 3rd line center, and potentially backup tender.

Top pairing Dman - ain't happening... 

Will settle for top 6 winger and 3rd line pivot...backup tender if need be

To add to this, I agree with most replies...Nyquist, Dzingel, Donskoi, B.Tanev, Panik, and McElhinney would be great upgrades for sure over players not returning, that I listed above...I would also like to see a player like Filppula center the 3rd line...I forgot to include him in my original list to start this thread...

Of course there's little chance we can move Lucic, but may be able to still move Russell...If we move Russell, thats as much as 12.5M to play with...If Russell remains an Oiler, thats still 8.5M to play with, including 3.5M league increase...

By my math, that should allow us to sign a Nyquist or Dzingel quality winger for around 5M, and a secondary player for 2.5 -3M, even if we aren't able to unload Lucic and Russell's contracts...

Though I think it would be more likely, we'd see a couple of those secondary guys for 5-6M together...not unlike Rieder and Brodziak signings last year, only these are better players obviously...that complement skill. And doesnt blow our entire budget. Another possibility is moving Benning for a player like C.Brown..? I just added this, after learning that may have been discussed...

So just for example, to start season: 

Nuge - McDavid  - Kassian

Panik(2.9)/Benson - Drai - Donskoi(3.5)/C.Brown

Tanev(2.5)/Khaira - Filpp(3.5)/Marody - Gags

Lucic - Cave - Currie

My personal preference, if we sign two middle six, would be Donskoi/Brown and Filppula...looks like:

Nuge - McDavid  - Kassian

Benson - Draisaitl - Donskoi/C.Brown

Khaira - Filppula - Gagner

Lucic - Cave - Currie

Depth: Gambardella, Marody, P.Russell, JP, Yams..

Defense including Russell: 

Klefbom - Larsson 

Nurse - Jones

Sekera - Russell

My preference without Russell, giving another young D playing time, and saving cap: 

Klefbom - Larsson 

Nurse - Jones 

Sekera - Persson/Bear

Depth: Bouchard, Lagesson, Day, Lowe, Stanton...

To be clear, I love Russell's game...hes an absolute warrior. But this team desperately needs more puck moving defenders. And thankfully with Sekera regaining form, and the young puckmovers that are pushing for NHL playing time...now would be a great time to move Russ if new GM can this summer...

I think with smart management, shrewd deals, and a little luck this summer, this team could look at least as good as my proposed example above...Would certainly be more fun to watch I think...

Edited by dkers77
  • Like 1

I don't want us to buy anybody out. Trade them for a 7th, or future considerations, but don't pay them to play for somebody else

I don't want us to buy anybody out. Trade them for a 7th, or future considerations, but don't pay them to play for somebody else

I’m with you! Such a waste of cap space. 

Not going to quote the whole box, but I'm confident you can't buy out more than 1 player in a year, dk.  Also agree with Fog, try to be rid of them entirely, or let them expire, buyouts should be a last resort.

fantyleaguecupbgnocchi_zpsd26307cf.png

Credits to UnrefinedCrude for the signature.  Big thanks!

2 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

I'd rather do that as well, but not sure anyone else wants them...you obviously make that play first...but ultimately I was just trying to do math using worst case scenario...to find out what we'd have left, if we couldn't find a suitor for them and had to buy them out...One of them likely will be...

1 hour ago, dkers77 said:

I'd rather do that as well, but not sure anyone else wants them...you obviously make that play first...but ultimately I was just trying to do math using worst case scenario...to find out what we'd have left, if we couldn't find a suitor for them and had to buy them out...One of them likely will be...

I don't think it's worth it for such low dollar players. Put them in the pressbox, or put them on the ice.

They have 16 players under contract for next season totaling $68.03M . I can see them resigning (Chaisson @$2m , Khaira @ $1.5M , Gravel @$1M & Stolarz@ $1M) totaling $5.5M . That's my estimate for signing those players , I think it's fair . So that's 20 players totaling $73.53M . If the cap goes up to lets say $83M that leaves $9.47M for the remaining 3 players to fill out a 23 man roster .

Therefore I can see two young players making the team , for my calculation , I pick Joel Persson & Tyler Benson to make the team . Persson is under contract next season for $1M & Benson will make $808,333 , so roughly $1.8M for those two youngsters . Leaving $7.67M to fill out the 23 man roster with one UFA , bringing them right up to the cap , or close .

Here's my list of six UFA forwards that the Oilers should target ( Anders Lee , Joonas Donskoi , Ryan Dzingel , Mike Ferland , Brett Connelly & Brandon Tanev ) one of these players signed for $6M or less , would be huge . Maybe they pick up another top six forward via trade too . Who knows ? But the bare minimum would be just signing one UFA forward , which I believe should be doable . 

The forward group might consist of (McDavid , Draisaitl , UFA , Nuge , Lucic , Gagner , Kassian , Brodziak , Currie , Cave , Khaira , Chaisson & Benson)

The defense would include (Sekera , Klefbom , Larsson , Russell , Nurse , Benning , Gravel & Persson)

Goaltenders (Koskinen & Stolarz)

It's a start .

Edited by billpayor

30 minutes ago, billpayor said:

They have 16 players under contract for next season totaling $68.03M . I can see them resigning (Chaisson @$2m , Khaira @ $1.5M , Gravel @$1M & Stolarz@ $1M) totaling $5.5M . That's my estimate for signing those players , I think it's fair . So that's 20 players totaling $73.53M . If the cap goes up to lets say $83M that leaves $9.47M for the remaining 3 players to fill out a 23 man roster .

Therefore I can see two young players making the team , for my calculation , I pick Joel Persson & Tyler Benson to make the team . Persson is under contract next season for $1M & Benson will make $808,333 , so roughly $1.8M for those two youngsters . Leaving $7.67M to fill out the 23 man roster with one UFA , bringing them right up to the cap , or close .

Here's my list of six UFA forwards that the Oilers should target ( Anders Lee , Joonas Donskoi , Ryan Dzingel , Mike Ferland , Brett Connelly & Brandon Tanev ) one of these players signed for $6M or less , would be huge . Maybe they pick up another top six forward via trade too . Who knows ? But the bare minimum would be just signing one UFA forward , which I believe should be doable . 

The forward group might consist of (McDavid , Draisaitl , UFA , Nuge , Lucic , Gagner , Kassian , Brodziak , Currie , Cave , Khaira , Chaisson & Benson)

The defense would include (Sekera , Klefbom , Larsson , Russell , Nurse , Benning , Gravel & Persson)

It's a start .

I think (hope) we can get Chiasson for less than 2. I do think the team will make a qualifying offer to JP, so that's 875k

I don't know much about Persson, but I would have thought Caleb Jones might be ahead of him for an NHL spot. Like I said...unfamiliar with Persson. 

I liked Cooper Marody's game when he was up, so if him or Benson could contribute on an ELC, that would be a big help. Both would be a big bonus.

I agree with your overall premise though. We're essentially one forward away from having a second line, and that will be big. It has to happen.

2 hours ago, billpayor said:

It's a start .

I agree Benson and a dman like Persson could make club, if Russell and/or Benning are moved. But he'd have to beat them out for bottom right role if one of them remain, cause I think either Jones or Sekera should be playing with Darnell.

Persson probably starts on the farm to hone N.A. game...

I wouldn't resign Chiasson though, Id target a couple middle six forwards who can skate better...if worse comes to worse just play Marody or P.Russell in his place. I know theyre not exactly speeders either but theyll be cheaper. I liked his goal contribution this season on a team sorely lacking secondary scoring...Great PTO story, but I doubt he has that kind of run again...

Edited by dkers77

I think (hope) we can get Chiasson for less than 2. I do think the team will make a qualifying offer to JP, so that's 875k

I don't know much about Persson, but I would have thought Caleb Jones might be ahead of him for an NHL spot. Like I said...unfamiliar with Persson. 

I liked Cooper Marody's game when he was up, so if him or Benson could contribute on an ELC, that would be a big help. Both would be a big bonus.

I agree with your overall premise though. We're essentially one forward away from having a second line, and that will be big. It has to happen.

I wouldn't resign Chiasson, Id target a couple middle six forwards who can skate better...if worse comes to worse just play Marody or P.Russell in his place. I know theyre not exactly speeders either but theyll be cheaper. I liked his goal contribution this season on a team sorely lacking secondary scoring...Great PTO story, but I doubt he has that kind of run again...

I think Benson will make club, as will Jones.

If Russell is moved, and/or Benning, Persson probably slides in on bottom right...but likely starts on the farm to hone N.A. game...

I'd like to see Jones or Sekera with Nurse...

Edited by dkers77

I'd take a shot at re-signing Chiasson, but it would have to be for under $2M per year and for no more than two years with NO clauses.

He's never put up as many points as he did in his rookie season (13-22=35).

I am an Alberta fan, which in my case means I follow Calgary & Edmonton.

No hate here, I hope that they both do well.

2 hours ago, Fogolin2 said:

I forgot to take into account the Pouliot & Gryba buyouts that still go against the cap , plus Manning and the burying of his contract in the minors , that comes to another $2.8M that won't be going towards signing a UFA top six forward . Which is considerable , thanks again Peter Chiarelli . Leaving about $4.8m left over for a free agent , bringing them right up to the limit if the cap goes up to $83M . It's worse than I thought .

They might not be able to dabble with free agency at all ,  as I initially thought .  Chaisson & Kassain might be the closest things to a top six forward they can get , unless they can shed some salary . 

They might have to go with three young ELC's to fill out the roster . Whoever they might be ? 

But I think signing ( Chaisson , JJ , Gravel & Stolarz ) to value contracts is a must . 

Sure qualify Pizzajarvi , then move him . He's a complete waste of time .

Edited by billpayor

3 hours ago, dkers77 said:

I wouldn't resign Chiasson, Id target a couple middle six forwards who can skate better...if worse comes to worse just play Marody or P.Russell in his place. I know theyre not exactly speeders either but theyll be cheaper. I liked his goal contribution this season on a team sorely lacking secondary scoring...Great PTO story, but I doubt he has that kind of run again...

I think Benson will make club, as will Jones.

If Russell is moved, and/or Benning, Persson probably slides in on bottom right...but likely starts on the farm to hone N.A. game...

I'd like to see Jones or Sekera with Nurse...

Remember Matt Hendricks?

Maybe we should keep a guy who can chip in 10 goals, has won a cup, and said he wants to be here....If Russell is worth 4mil, the guy I describe is worth 8mil to our little daycare. But, he's going to cost 1.8m and that is the stupidest money we could save. #paytheman

So let me see, JJK scored what 11 goals and 20 something pts last year, we signed him to .675k

This year he has 3 goals, has not took the step now you want to more than double his pay?

Chiasson at 2 million? Would like to give him a raise but not triple his salary...He is very streaky.

Come on guys the biggest knock on our team is speed. Did any of you watch the Tor and Car games? We have too many slow players. By slow I mean anything below average.

Who wins the corner battles in the NHL now? Is it the bigger players or is it the faster more skilled players that win the battles with their stick skills and position? Or it it size and taking the body without much for mobility? If you do have size you need some skills and mobility to go along with it..

Why do you think guys like Petro or Manning were not playing on other teams and still not playing on ours? Why is Brodz hit and miss? Why is JJK hit and miss? Why is Benning hit and miss?

Not mobile enough, not enough vision, not enough speed and not much for stick skills. As a result most of the time they get beat. Chiasson as well but he is smarter than average so he can win his share of battles. His speed is still border line.

Gagner and Currie have made an impact. They are fast enough and skilled enough. That's the NHL now.

If you want the team to get better we cannot have too many slow players. Not just slow skating wise, but slow hockey IQ, slow sticks, slow reactions.

Gravel would be just good enough as an extra D, same 700k

McKilhenny over Stolarz easy for 1 million. Let Stolarz walk if he want more than what he earns now 800k.

If we only have 4.8 million as per above that won't get us anything. Let the players walk. Chiasson 1-1.2 mil. JJK .675

That's all i would keep. That means hopefully Benning and Manning have to go. At least one of them...Petro, Malone, Reider, Rattie all walk. Might sign Reider at league minimum prove me contract since he is RFA. Take it or leave it. He has speed and can kill penalties so that's worth something... But I think he has to be "qualified". If he has to get at least 2 million + 10% then forget it.

I have 14 players (including Currie, Cave and Gags)signed at 65 + 1.6 Pou + .3 Grybs= 66.9 million if we start from scratch. No Stolarz, Gravel, Benning, Petro, Manning, Chiasson, JJK. Malone, Brodz, Reider, Rattie, Pulj.

2 of Persson, Jones, Bear, Bouch should play making our 6th and 7th D so under 1.9 million. Full D set... 1-1.5 mil for backup. McHelhinny. That puts us just below 70 million with 17 players. Now you do all your forwards and will have 13 million to spend if cap is 83 million. Chiasson + JJk 1.7 mil total. That's 19 spots. Reider + Benson/another youngin .1.4 mil and 21 spots. You now have 10 million to spend for 2 good REAL NHL wingers or 1 really good winger and 1 good 3C upgrade.

If we can start from scratch and by still keeping Luc, Sek and Russell.

Edited by WindsorOiler

Truly a 'wishlist' but if Columbus is going to pay all their fancypants...we'll take all of their Nick Folignos

Nuge for Foligno straight across and we're a better team. No way Columbus does it, but it is a 'wishlist' thread after all